Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

RetroHelix posted:

Yes, recasting has happened, but it's usually because someone had medical issues/death (Bewitched), a falling out with the production staff (Two and a Half Men), or were a really young kid in the secondary cast (Mad Men).

Two and a Half Men wasn't recast so much as Charlie was written out of the storyline (via death), and a new character was added in his place, played by someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Not gonna have to worry about replacing Robb's actor too much longer :laugh:

Mucktron
Dec 21, 2005

"But I've been twelve for a very long time"
I'd say based on Dany's pregnancy, that the events of Game of Thrones take place over a course of a year tops.

Loly is then gang-raped halfway through A Clash of Kings and gives birth to a son (who Bronn names Tyrion as a big 'gently caress you' to Cersei) around the start of A Feast for Crows.

Ah, leave it to GRRM to make it easy to guess how long has past in aSoIaF based on rape.... :smith:

And if using rape to figure out the timeline isn't your thing, Sansa says she's 11 in GoT and in aFfC she's 13. So yeah, roughly two years have past sense poor Ned Stark came down to Kings Landing and got himself killed.

The kids have all been aged up in the show anyway, so with the exception of the -really- little and minor children characters, I don't think there will be a need to replace say.. Arya (11 in the show) or Sansa (13 in the show). and let's say Sansa's actress IS 20 by the time the show covers the events in aFFC, is it really that unusual to have a 20 year old play a 15 year old?

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

I just can't see TV Show Jon Snow as Lord Commander Jon Snow. TV Show Jon is such a whiny little emo bitch.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

JerkyBunion posted:

I just can't see TV Show Jon Snow as Lord Commander Jon Snow. TV Show Jon is such a whiny little emo bitch.
Maybe they will make him work out between 2nd and 3rd seasons.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
You used "obtuse" incorrectly.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Quantify! posted:

Roseanne had two Beckys.

I loved how they worked Sarah Chalke into the show.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

With Octavian, he ran off to become a man so they needed a man to come riding back. I don't remember how big the time gap was, but it was there. I hated the change, but I understand why they did it.

With GoT, there isn't going to be a huge gap in the storylines for the children except for Rickon. And if they had to replace his actor, well, we never really got to know the kid anyways.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Quantify! posted:

I had this problem when I broke up with my first girlfriend. How could I ever find a girl that was as feisty or attractive as her? But eventually I learned that while you can't duplicate an experience, you can have other nice experiences.

Yes because the two are very similar. Seriously this is a terrible analogy, what the hell man?

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Jakabite posted:

Yes because the two are very similar. Seriously this is a terrible analogy, what the hell man?
I hate to say this, but you'll understand when you've been through a breakup.

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008

Quantify! posted:

I hate to say this, but you'll understand when you've been through a breakup.

Is there a way we can have you recast as a poster?

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
The kids won't have to be recast. Arya is the only troublesome character because she starts off at 9 and by the time ADwD is filmed the actress will be almost 18, but it's actually more believable to have her a little older looking. All of the characters in the series seem like they should be a little older than they are anyway.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
They're not going to recast any of the main characters unless they absolutely have too. And nothing written in the books suggests that will happen.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?

Iggles posted:

First time I've seen the word "spurned" used as a euphemism for "raped following the gang-rape of"

He had nothing to do with the gang-rape and honestly, I had erased the fact that he slept with her again after his father's guards because drat, that's just... ugh... but once again, he didn't exactly have a choice in that either. He was forced as much as she was.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.
Finished weeks ago but haven't posted yet because I wanted to catch up here first. God drat you goons do post too much; I only managed to get through half the thread before giving up.

I generally enjoyed reading the book, though I think its real failure is as a novel. The first three were all good stories by themselves; they had the at least the basic structure of the standard three acts. Both Feast and Dance lacked this; the tension seemed randomly distributed through the books rather than steadily building toward a climax followed by falling action. I think that's one of the main reasons people feel that it was "just a collection of travelogues and some other boring crap" -- because while the same could be said about both Clash and Storm (and even a lot of Game), those books at least had a beginning, middle, and end, rather than just being a collection of a half-dozen interleaved, nearly unrelated short stories.

To throw my lot in on some of the main discussion points so far:
- Aegon: Totally gonna die.
- Tyrion: Secret Targ? The odds went up, but they're not great.
- Dany: She's a teenager. Now that she has even a LITTLE stability in her life she's giving into her vices a little. Duh. Get off your high horses, you'd probably do worse in her place.
- Quentin: I think his chapters were kind of a waste considering how he ended up. Though I guess the dragons had to get free SOMEHOW.
- Jon: Enjoyed his chapters most, totally not 100% dead. Ned's and Robb's deaths were 50% just so we'd believe Jon's. It's not working.
- Arya: Crazy cat lady warg. This will be awesome.
- Asha: The battle at the end of her first chapter was good. All the rest was pretty bad.
- Theon: I liked his arc a lot, and I respect the themes used, but man was his stuff over-repetitive.
- Manderly: Best established character in the book.
- Tycho: Best new character for three books.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
Have we seen a POV character die for good from their POV? I know we saw Ned die from Arya's POV, and Catelyn died from her POV but she wasn't really dead...

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Tyrion as a secret Targaryen? Are you loving with me?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Quantify! posted:

but she wasn't really dead...

Sure she was; she just didn't stay that way.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Raserys posted:

Tyrion as a secret Targaryen? Are you loving with me?

Deal with it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Quantify! posted:

Have we seen a POV character die for good from their POV? I know we saw Ned die from Arya's POV, and Catelyn died from her POV but she wasn't really dead...

Quentyn kinda, I guess. Also I guess you could say prologue and epilogue characters.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I just don't understand how anyone could dislike ADWD. Sure, it takes a lot of plodding through boring adventure logs, but Cersei's walk through King's Landing is one of the most satisfying and cathartic chapters in any book I've ever read.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Raserys posted:

I just don't understand how anyone could dislike ADWD. Sure, it takes a lot of plodding through boring adventure logs, but Cersei's walk through King's Landing is one of the most satisfying and cathartic chapters in any book I've ever read.
How does it feel to be a misogynist?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Quantify! posted:

That's not really fair. After seeing Cersei bungle the poo poo out of everything in Feast, it's understandable that people would like seeing her humiliated, though to me seeing her gently caress everything up was cathartic enough in itself.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

That's not really fair. After seeing Cersei bungle the poo poo out of everything in Feast, it's understandable that people would like seeing her humiliated, though to me seeing her gently caress everything up was cathartic enough in itself.

That's probably his point. She was also already imprisoned and shamed for the entirety of her last two chapters in Feast.

I went into Feast absolutely hating her. I loved watching her gently caress everything up, but towards the end I felt like she really got what she deserved. The walk of shame is just way over the tipping point for me... I had begun to feel sorry for her before that.

I really don't understand how so many of you dislike Feast. Sure, it was slow at parts, but Cersei's POV chapters (besides the disturbing sex scene with Lady Merryweather) were amazing. Speaking of her, I don't think it's been explicitly stated in the books, but it's a reasonable assumption that she was never on Cersei's side, right? I think it's pretty funny that Cersei is wishing for her back at the end of Dance.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Cersei is a terrible person and a terrible character who I despise, but because she is a woman, I must be misogynist for feeling satisfied at her karmic embarrassment. I apologize sincerely for my obvious hatred of women everywhere.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?

Raserys posted:

Cersei is a terrible person and a terrible character who I despise, but because she is a woman, I must be misogynist for feeling satisfied at her karmic embarrassment. I apologize sincerely for my obvious hatred of women everywhere.

I think his point was probably that by the time it gets to her walk it's like beating a dead horse. She's already been shamed, starved, sleep-deprived, and imprisoned for days.

The walk personally made me pretty uncomfortable because reason it's happening is very steeped in misogyny. Enjoying it as a bad thing that happens to a character you hate does not make you a misogynist, though.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I have a tendency to overly-pity fictional characters, and Cersei happened to cause quite a bunch of awful things to characters I liked before I started to feel anything close to sympathy with her.

It's not a "Heh, now she can get back in the kitchen where she belongs :smug:" thing, it's a "A really terrible thing happened to this character I absolutely hate" thing. If something equally bad would happen to, say, Ramsay Bolton, I would be overjoyed.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Namirsolo posted:

I really don't understand how so many of you dislike Feast. Sure, it was slow at parts, but Cersei's POV chapters (besides the disturbing sex scene with Lady Merryweather) were amazing. Speaking of her, I don't think it's been explicitly stated in the books, but it's a reasonable assumption that she was never on Cersei's side, right? I think it's pretty funny that Cersei is wishing for her back at the end of Dance.

I agree. I just finished rereading it and apart from the Brienne parts (which were still super boring and frustrating because you know she's always going the wrong way), the book's really good. Not up to Storm of Swords quality, but definitely solid. The Jaime chapters are fantastic, and I love the Dorne stuff too, especially the very end of it: "Vengeance. Justice. Fire and blood."

Jewlian
May 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hey guys, I'm looking for some reading recommendations as I just ran out of reading material. So far I had good experience with recommendations in ASOIAF threads. I'm looking for books like ASOIAF -- cynical low fantasy with wry humor.

So far:

Liked:

- ASOIAF series
- The First Law, Best Served Cold, The Heroes
- The Lies of Locke Lamora
- The Magicians (Lev Grossman)

Didn't like:
- Red Seas Under the Red Skies ( I stopped giving a poo poo about the protagonists)
- The Magician King (Grossman started embracing the fantasy conventions too much)

I'd appreciate any recommendations that would fit the pattern. Thanks.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Raserys posted:

I have a tendency to overly-pity fictional characters, and Cersei happened to cause quite a bunch of awful things to characters I liked before I started to feel anything close to sympathy with her.

It's not a "Heh, now she can get back in the kitchen where she belongs :smug:" thing, it's a "A really terrible thing happened to this character I absolutely hate" thing. If something equally bad would happen to, say, Ramsay Bolton, I would be overjoyed.

I don't know, man, Ramsay and Cersei are preeeetty different cases. All we know of case A, Ramsay, is that he's a sociopath who flays peoples dicks and murders people by the dozen, for fun I guess; Case B, Cersei, is the intelligent, ambitious daughter of the most feared man in Westeros, who, being a woman and all, was raised to be a good wife rather than a good ruler, and ends up making a mess of both roles. Cersei, like Catelyn only less annoyingly, is a mother first and foremost, and I genuinely believe the safety of her children is what motivates her every action. Cersei is a lot like Brienne, especially during ASoS and AFfC, in that her life is one big conflict of female and male ambitions.

It's fine for you to not like her, but if your ideal repercussions for Case A's crimes against fantasy humanity are on the same level as Case B's, I think your idea of "karma" is a tad skewed. Or, yeah, you might be a misogynist.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
I just like throwing jokes out there to stimulate discussion because people get really passionate about this issue. It makes for interesting debate! But I don't really think he's a misogynist.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Quantify! posted:

I just like throwing jokes out there to stimulate discussion because people get really passionate about this issue. It makes for interesting debate! But I don't really think he's a misogynist.
People don't feel passionate about it, people feel insulted because it's a really lovely accusation that goons do love to throw around whenever they spot the flimsiest of excuses, eager as they are to grab any possible angle of superiority. And it doesn't make for interesting debate, it makes for a toxic self-censoring environment where people know that, should anything they write be liable to be interpreted as signalling the tiniest prejudice, it's all but guaranteed there will be yet another jackass Whitest Knight U' Know who will gleefully derail the thread with three pages of his righteous wrath.

In short, you made a wretched unfunny joke which could only have had one of two results: making you look like an utter rear end, or making GBS threads up the thread. Fortunately for us, it was the former.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I don't know man, if it was a dude doing the walk of shame I'm pretty sure GRRM wouldn't have spent paragraphs describing how small/limp his balls/cock have become.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

People don't feel passionate about it, people feel insulted because it's a really lovely accusation that goons do love to throw around whenever they spot the flimsiest of excuses, eager as they are to grab any possible angle of superiority. And it doesn't make for interesting debate, it makes for a toxic self-censoring environment where people know that, should anything they write be liable to be interpreted as signalling the tiniest prejudice, it's all but guaranteed there will be yet another jackass Whitest Knight U' Know who will gleefully derail the thread with three pages of his righteous wrath.

In short, you made a wretched unfunny joke which could only have had one of two results: making you look like an utter rear end, or making GBS threads up the thread. Fortunately for us, it was the former.

Agreed. I'm not sure I've seen a thread in SA for weeks in which someone/something hasn't been accused of misogyny, and it's pretty tiring. Can we not just have one misogyny thread where everyone can go and accuse everything of misogyny?

Edit ^^^^ This is GRRM of course he would, any chance for a cock or a oval office.

Sticky Profits
Aug 12, 2011

niethan posted:

I don't know man, if it was a dude doing the walk of shame I'm pretty sure GRRM wouldn't have spent paragraphs describing how small/limp his balls/cock have become.

Only if it was a Selmy or Dolorous Edd POV

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Quantify! posted:

Misogyny is probably the silliest insult levied at the books. It has absolutely no footing anywhere. I know this was a joke post but people seriously argue this and I just laugh in their face, straight up.

As for actual readers being misogynists for liking Cersei getting shamed -- she's been evil to a lot of people, and done a lot of terrible things. It's only fitting that she get run over by her own karma.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Sep 5, 2011

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Hey, thread! Long time no see! Is it just me, or does anyone else feel kind of insulted by the Jon Connington chapters? I feel like Gurm is just shoving this character in my face and yelling "CARE ABOUT THIS CHARACTER OKAY?!" The last Jon Snow chapter had my head spinning because of all the twists and turns his character had gone through. Dany's chapters, while incredibly... anticlimactic and unsatisfying, had a strange sort or realism to them, seeing her just clusterfuck the poo poo out of everything. But Connington? How many chapters did he have, or even appear in? And at the end, he OMG HAS GREYSCALE! How tragic that this character I barely know, however integral to the plot he may have been, is now going to maybe die sometime "soon" (as far as the storyline goes; the next book isn't going to happen)

Also, "a scale of the dragon that flamed you" is the dumbest goddamn thing I have ever read, and I have read that Wildcards book about the super-hero reality show.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Misogyny is probably the silliest insult levied at the books. It has absolutely no footing anywhere. I know this was a joke post but people seriously argue this and I just laugh in their face, straight up.

As for actual readers being misogynists for liking Cersei getting shamed -- she's been evil to a lot of people, and done a lot of terrible things. It's only fitting that she get run over by her own karma.

I think that it's kind of funny. She literally gave people over to a guy to be tortured and parted out for some hosed up zombie experimentation poo poo. If it's not possible to hate Cerci and not be a misogynist, then it is not possible to hate an individual female for any reason whatsoever (raped murdered and ate my dog) without being a misogynist.

In short: It's a stupid discussion to even be having.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Is there a place somewhere where they discuss what sort of magic powers there acutally are in this series? I mean to me it looks like every "god" might have the same powers really:

Old gods and Rh'llor can both warg poo poo.

Old gods and Rh'llor can both see visions related to future/past through focus.

Rh'llor and Others can both bring people back to "life". Quentyn (?) can too.

Drowned God can also bring people back to life.

Not to mention shadowbabies which is something that more then Rhllor can do right?

Are there more examples?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.

Jewlian posted:

Confused this thread with the Recommendation Superstation

While not as dark, I would recommend Robin Hobb's the Farseer Trilogy and the Tawny Man Trilogy. Haven't read the others. I would also recommend Tad Williams' Otherland series, though that's a mix of scifi and fantasy.

I'm currently reading C.S. Lewis's Space Trilogy which is decent and short.