Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Validation, at last!

(Every time I see your avatar I can't help but giggle :))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds the new Krayt dragon call hilarious.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It really is loving funny. I thought the first 2 krayt dragon calls were equally ok and pretty interchangeable. That's just...drat son. Why would you ever think that was OK?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I knew when the 97 special editions added a bunch of bullshit and didn't fix the loving flipped frames and bluescreen bullshit... newly created CG dancing creatures alongside transparent xwings.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Skeletron posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds the new Krayt dragon call hilarious.
This is the best one.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
So I haven't read a star wars book in like a decade, is the alien invasion story arc worth it? Where do I start on that?

I've read all zahn books and all the x-wing books

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Goatman Sacks posted:

You're good.

Read some Thomas Pynchon, Stephen King, Mark Twain, or even Dan Brown.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Goatman Sacks posted:

So I haven't read a star wars book in like a decade, is the alien invasion story arc worth it? Where do I start on that?

Hell, the next step down from that is probably the Han Solo trilogies, and that's as far as I could ever suggest someone get before saying "that's about everything worth the time".

If you finish those and really want Star Wars... uh, try the comics "Tales of the Jedi"?

SG-83
Sep 6, 2004

I guess it's not just a dog thing!
I just found one of my Barbara Hambly SW novels, Planet of Twilight. I started reading it again, only to realize why I never read past page ~30 when I first got it. Her two books are the only SW novels that I never completely read.

Worst author ever, on par with Stephenie Meyer. :suicide:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

This is the best one.

I *believe* you mean this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeXVPv2c8Q8

I'm talkin WINE, I'm talkin WOMEN, I'm talkin black breathing-assisted SUITS!

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I *believe* you mean this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeXVPv2c8Q8

I'm talkin WINE, I'm talkin WOMEN, I'm talkin black breathing-assisted SUITS!

I'm laughing my rear end off at all these youtubes in real life, like honest to god this whole thing is the funniest thing. Lucas, the master of comedy

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

SG-83 posted:

I just found one of my Barbara Hambly SW novels, Planet of Twilight. I started reading it again, only to realize why I never read past page ~30 when I first got it. Her two books are the only SW novels that I never completely read.

The only way to get through Planet of Twilight is to keep repeating to yourself "At least it isn't The Crystal Star". Which is no comfort whatsoever.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Why did the rebels ride tauntauns on Hoth if they freeze to death faster than a human in a parka?

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
I was watching Robot Chicken's third Star Wars specials extra features and a segment with George Lucas he talks about the Jar Jar hatred and he starts talking about how when Star Wars came out everybody hated C3PO. Is this actualy true?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I think George Lucas can't tell the difference between a character that people wouldn't want to hang out with but is entertaining and a character that is simply irritating.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Cubone posted:

Why did the rebels ride tauntauns on Hoth if they freeze to death faster than a human in a parka?
There's a line where Han asks about taking out a snowspeeder and gets informed they haven't adapted it to the cold, so he takes the next best option; a smelly snow lizard.

draize_train
Apr 26, 2006

MisterGBH posted:

I was watching Robot Chicken's third Star Wars specials extra features and a segment with George Lucas he talks about the Jar Jar hatred and he starts talking about how when Star Wars came out everybody hated C3PO. Is this actualy true?

Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view. So yeah, it's bullshit.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I remember reading in this thread a good long while ago an argument as to why Jar Jar is the most powerful character in the Star Wars universe. I can't seem to find it, does anyone have it to hand at all?

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Cubone posted:

The temperature was dropping to where nothing could really survive the cold.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Goatman Sacks posted:

I liked the NJO, and i think some others here do too. Basically just read vector prime (the first njo book) and if you like it read the other ones that were published as hardcover, I think there were 5 total?. You can go back and read all the other NJO books later if you want. But dont bother reading any of the stuff that happens after NJO (Dark nest, lotf, fotj).

Edit: Actually, if you do read NJO, you shouldn't skip Traitor which was the best paperback and maybe the best book of the entire NJO series.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

The NJO has a horrible case of one-upsmanship as far as fleet combat goes, but otherwise wasn't that bad.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Torael_7 posted:

The NJO has a horrible case of one-upsmanship as far as fleet combat goes, but otherwise wasn't that bad.

The best kind of one upmanship.

Lasca
May 8, 2007

88h88 posted:

I remember reading in this thread a good long while ago an argument as to why Jar Jar is the most powerful character in the Star Wars universe. I can't seem to find it, does anyone have it to hand at all?

I think it went something like: Jar Jar blows up a whole bunch of droids, the droids kill a whole bunch of clones and the clones wipe out the jedi soo Jar Jar >the jedi?

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Somebody who knows how to do movie magic seriously needs to dub that Obi Wan scene with Sloth's "HEY YOU GUYS!" from The Goonies.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Somebody needs to watch the YouTubes already linked in this thread.

Unless you meant someone needs to do it well.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

88h88 posted:

He's the one that convinced the senate about giving Palpatine his emergency powers which gave him permission to use the clone army. So he responsible for everything that happens after that:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ovO7lmFYCc

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax

Cubone posted:

It was extra cold due to the sweat generated by the tension of carrying a set of death star plans (now free with every bag of Tauntaun chow).

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

SG-83 posted:

At least Star Wars will never have angsty vampires that sparkle in the sunlight.

Isn't that right, Captain Solo?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
How come the wampa freezes Luke upside down in the Empire Strikes back? Wouldn't it be a lot easier to just kill him? How do you freeze someone upside down anyway?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

VaultAggie posted:

How come the wampa freezes Luke upside down in the Empire Strikes back? Wouldn't it be a lot easier to just kill him? How do you freeze someone upside down anyway?

Then he wouldn't stay fresh and well preserved :v:
Still, I picture the wampa clumsily holding Luke upside down until his feet ice over on the roof.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

How intelligent are Wampas anyway? I don't want some "that wampa was force sensitive" joke or something, that's been done to death, but to hang a dude up like that would require pretty good intelligence for a bestial creature.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I've always wondered why nerds weren't more upset about the escape from Jabba's sail barge sequence in Jedi. I mean, yes, it's an awesome sequence. But Luke is swinging his lightsaber around like a maniac, and instead of hacking guys' limbs off it's just knocking them over. I understand the real reason for this (can't have a PG rated movie with dismemberment happening willy nilly!), but is there any in-universe bullshit explanation?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

OldSenileGuy posted:

is there any in-universe bullshit explanation?

Oh man I'd love to hear this one.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Cortosis undergarments.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

The Force told him they had a greater purpose so he couldn't kill them.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Zat posted:

Oh man I'd love to hear this one.
Throwing yourself into a beast and being digested for a thousand years was preferable to being sliced in half?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

OldSenileGuy posted:

I've always wondered why nerds weren't more upset about the escape from Jabba's sail barge sequence in Jedi. I mean, yes, it's an awesome sequence. But Luke is swinging his lightsaber around like a maniac, and instead of hacking guys' limbs off it's just knocking them over. I understand the real reason for this (can't have a PG rated movie with dismemberment happening willy nilly!), but is there any in-universe bullshit explanation?
I like the bit where he holds his lightsaber straight up above his head for no reason until someone shoots him in the hand.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Calaveron posted:

Still, I picture the wampa clumsily holding Luke upside down until his feet ice over on the roof.

Maybe a mixture of snow and saliva in order to make a sort of ice construct trapping the victim's limbs? Probably wouldn't take too much time for it to freeze, and suspending the victim from the ceiling would make it easier to spit on. I could sort of see a trick like that being within a hunter animal like a Wampa's level of intellect.

...:suicide:

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

I think there's some explanation in the Heir to the Empire trilogy. Luke and Mara Jade run into some stormtroopers while sneaking around on a Star Destroyer. Luke kills two and the others get shot. Later, someone reports that the stormtroopers have been found dead. It's obvious what happened to the shot ones, but they're not sure about the other two, until Thrawn tells them to look for cauterised microscopic cuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Calaveron posted:

Feh, everyone knows Wampas have +1 to Ice Breath. Super Empire Strikes Back on the SNES told me so.