Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
It's weird, I started reading around when chapter 300 came out (what, over three years ago?) and despite the fact that the story hasn't moved much over the past 24 chapters, I don't really feel dissatisfied. Each chapter is just that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009
You just have to get into the mindset that you're never going to get more Berserk, then when you do its a pleasant surprise.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

it was ok until she started peeing on me
Your best bet is to just give yourself amnesia every time a big bunch of chapters come out, be it whiskey or having your buddy hit you on the head with a heavy stick.

I just wait until I see 50+ new posts in the Berserk thread and thats usually a good indication to go and look for new chapters.

Also Guts riding a unicorn or a pegasus and a horde of elves and fairies to his back against Griffith and his apostles would probably be the best ending possible, and entirely possible when Miura starts to lose his mind and becomes senile.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Serious Frolicking posted:

Don't knock the anime. The ending was pretty bad, but it did have this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stdY7NMWhLc&feature=related

The outtakes are loving amazing, and this new show better have some too. Griffin singing Whitney Houston is practically beyond words.

Also new chapter is humorous. :3:

phelps
Mar 28, 2011

Deki posted:

I'd put good money on those mermaids either getting slaughtered or being in league with the sea god. It is berzerk after all.

Like the "elves" looking all cute before playing murder?

Even monster of the week Berserk stories are enjoyable.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

Don't knock the anime. The ending was pretty bad, but it did have this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stdY7NMWhLc&feature=related

I didn't even click this and new exactly what it was.

Also I still have the dvds I bought back for $90 and will sell it to No One :colbert:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I really dislike the fight/action scenes with the Berserker armour and that dumb helmut. It's just a bit too fantastic for me, I really prefered how grounded the action used to be (despite the impossibility of someone swinging around a sword that big one-handed.) Watching Guts use the momenteum from his hand cannon to cleave something is much cooler than watching him ninja jump from tentacle to tentacle.

Edit: just realised I posted almost the exact same thing a year ago, haha.

Flamebo
Apr 27, 2005
Fauxhawks are so totally in right now Bro!

rapeface posted:

I really dislike the fight/action scenes with the Berserker armour and that dumb helmut. It's just a bit too fantastic for me, I really prefered how grounded the action used to be (despite the impossibility of someone swinging around a sword that big one-handed.) Watching Guts use the momenteum from his hand cannon to cleave something is much cooler than watching him ninja jump from tentacle to tentacle.

What I don't like about Guts fighting with his armor is that it seems like all the damage he takes is just from the armor. Before the fights were more intense, but now it feels like his enemies can't even hurt him.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

rapeface posted:

Well the whole thematical point is that while before he became mentally a monster in order to fight monsters, he is now flipping the dichotomy. He's becoming physically a monster while struggling to stay human. Before he wanted to lose himself; that was the entire point. Now, he desperately doesn't want to. He doesn't want to risk those around him, he doesn't want to lose himself in a blood lust and let people get hurt, he doesn't want to become that thing that hunts him in his mind.

He's basically struggling with his sanity and humanity while actively becoming a monster, which is thematically great. I'm rather enjoying the Berserker Armor in that regard.

Also I like it for fights. It's cool when he loses control, and he does neat stuff with it. The things he's fighting right now are basically mooks so he doesn't really even need to get creative with it. I fully expect we will have to see more inventiveness again when he starts fighting the high end Apostles.

hog wizard
Feb 16, 2005

by angerbeet
Griffith's army generals are WAY too powerful for normal Guts. Even with the armor, I bet he'd have a tough time beating one of them.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

hog wizard posted:

Griffith's army generals are WAY too powerful for normal Guts. Even with the armor, I bet he'd have a tough time beating one of them.

Please.

The generals are on par with Zodd, and Guts has been able to go toe to toe with Zodd for... what?... five years now?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Please.

The generals are on par with Zodd, and Guts has been able to go toe to toe with Zodd for... what?... five years now?

He's been able to go up against Zodd when he's not transformed.

He has never stood a chance against transformed Zodd. Ever.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Zorak posted:

He's been able to go up against Zodd when he's not transformed.

He has never stood a chance against transformed Zodd. Ever.

It's been a long time since I've read it, but I don't remember there being a clear winner at the sword graveyard.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

It's been a long time since I've read it, but I don't remember there being a clear winner at the sword graveyard.

There wasn't, but he had trouble with him when they were both "men" even there. The Berserker Armor may give him a hand, but we have no idea how well he'll manage without it. Zodd is brutally powerful.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I seem to recall Guts being pretty even with the human form of that Crystal Dragon Apostle at Flora's place before he went all... Crystal Dragon on his rear end.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Only after he got the Berserker Armor--after it Transformed? Even Berserker Armor Guts got punked.

Before he got it? Guts was getting the poo poo kicked out of him, and there was gently caress-all he could do about it.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Guts has been in a state of biological disrepair ever since his encounter with Slan. His astral body has a hole in it. Schirke wasn't able to fix it, and he hasn't been able to put up a fight without the Berserk armor since then.

Maybe the elves will fix that? Because if they don't, he's going to be stuck in the Berserk armor until something weird happens and he becomes fantasy Iron Man instead of fantasy Batman.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Yeah, I'm pretty cool with the effect of the Berserker armour on the plot and characters, I'm just think it doesn't look cool. Hopefully, it'll be better when he's not just fighting the same dumb pirate/tentacles.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

Guts has been in a state of biological disrepair ever since his encounter with Slan. His astral body has a hole in it. Schirke wasn't able to fix it, and he hasn't been able to put up a fight without the Berserk armor since then.

Maybe the elves will fix that? Because if they don't, he's going to be stuck in the Berserk armor until something weird happens and he becomes fantasy Iron Man instead of fantasy Batman.

Bets are on the berserker armor used to be the Skull Knight.

Too bad there's no characterization of the skull knight. Even if Miura wants to pad out the progress guts is making, he could at least do some world building

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Too bad there's no characterization of the skull knight

What, beyond all the poo poo we've gotten about him for the last fifteen years? :geno:

We know that he's the former Emperor Gaeseric (probably), the armor used to be his (probably), he and the Witch were bros, he has a feud with both Zodd and Void, he used to be human. Any revelations beyond these probably won't come until closer til the end when poo poo Hits the Fan.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Zorak posted:

What, beyond all the poo poo we've gotten about him for the last fifteen years? :geno:

We know that he's the former Emperor Gaeseric (probably), the armor used to be his (probably), he and the Witch were bros, he has a feud with both Zodd and Void, he used to be human. Any revelations beyond these probably won't come until closer til the end when poo poo Hits the Fan.

Yeah that's what I'm saying, those he has said are too threadbare. I want more juicy details, since guts is taking his sweet time getting to elfheim.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Zorak posted:

So we have a list of unconfirmed backstory hints and that he doesn't like two guys in the Berserk universe, only we don't know why.

And you think this is characterization? He's more of a Deus Ex Machina and nothing more currently.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Because we need all characterization revealed for all characters a little more than halfway through the series.

It's not really "world building" if they outright reveal one of the Big Mysteries arbitrarily in the story. Remember that as far as we can tell right now even, Skull Knight is actually dead.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I'm saying he's a being with no personality that randomly drops in to change the direction of the story because the plot painted itself into a corner--on purpose generally, but still.

His entire characterization is a force against Void and Zodd. I don't expect much more currently, but I honestly forget he exists he's such a non-player until the plot needs a nearly-invincible entity to push the plot where Miura wants it to be.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
You don't think he's effectively the same character as Guts? His family/friends or whatever were sacrificed by Void so Void could become a member of God Hand, the Emperor wanted revenge and ended up using the Berserker armour too much turning him into the Skull Knight. He's effectively there to save Guts occasionally, teach him slightly more about God Hand and serve as a reminder of what might happen to Guts

Leonard Leroy
Feb 11, 2007

Filipino Box Spring Hog
Ah goddamnit. I'm caught up again.

hog wizard
Feb 16, 2005

by angerbeet

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

Please.

I could almost see Guts beating Zodd and Grunbeld in a fair fight while they remain in their human form, but once they transform, Guts has no chance.

Jose posted:

You don't think he's effectively the same character as Guts? His family/friends or whatever were sacrificed by Void so Void could become a member of God Hand, the Emperor wanted revenge and ended up using the Berserker armour too much turning him into the Skull Knight. He's effectively there to save Guts occasionally, teach him slightly more about God Hand and serve as a reminder of what might happen to Guts

I agree with this. Also, Griffith's new army is like his old Hawks. Zodd joined after being defeated by Griffith, just like how Guts joined.

You Are
Dec 1, 2006

We Todd Ed.
crap nvm

hog wizard
Feb 16, 2005

by angerbeet
Jesus you are cruel :(

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
New deets on the movie:

Cast:
Guts: Hiroaki Iwanaga (Tomica Hero Rescue Force, Moyashimon, Kamen Rider OOO)
Griffith: Takahiro Sakurai (Toriko, Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Boku-tachi wa Mada Shiranai.)
Casca: Toa Yukinari (Grey's Anatomy dubbing, Naruto Shippūden)

Staff:
Director: Toshiyuki Kubooka (Batman: Gotham Knight episode 5)
Screenplay: Ichiro Okouchi (Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion)
Character Design/Chief Animation Director: Naoyuki Onda (Gantz)
Animation Director: Satoshi Iwataki (Toaru Majutsu no Index)
Art Director: Yusuke Takeda (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex), Goki Nakamura (Cat Soup), others
Art Setting: Mitsuhiro Arita (Final Fantasy XI), others
World Setting Supervisor: Kenichi Iwao (Final Fantasy XI/XIV)
Western Swordsmanship Coach: Jay Noyes (Final Fantasy XII)

Not sure about some of those casting choics. Also worried that Susumu Hirasawa won't be back on music. gently caress it though, it's a new animation series, right? Right. Let's swallow our doubts and see what causality has in store :ohdear:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Are Puck and Skull Knight going to be in this? I couldn't care less about Puck, but I loves me some Skull Knight slashing through dimensions :allears:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Not sure about some of those casting choics. Also worried that Susumu Hirasawa won't be back on music. gently caress it though, it's a new animation series, right? Right. Let's swallow our doubts and see what causality has in store :ohdear:

I don't know, The Medicine Seller as Griffith seems like a pretty good interpretation. Different than the last series, but not bad.

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!
Was watching the Berserk anime when I came across a scene in the 3rd episode so lazy and embarrassing that I recorded and uploaded it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZavlj57hq4

Also, I want to make a tribute to Guts firing off his cannon set to the 1812 Overture. Is there a site that identifies every instance of it in the manga, or will I have to go over it manually?

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
BOOM BOOM BOOM aaaahhhh

BOOM BOOM BOOM aahahaaaa

BOOM BOOM BOOM yaaaay

love it

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

THE HORSES rear end posted:

Was watching the Berserk anime when I came across a scene in the 3rd episode so lazy and embarrassing that I recorded and uploaded it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZavlj57hq4

Also, I want to make a tribute to Guts firing off his cannon set to the 1812 Overture. Is there a site that identifies every instance of it in the manga, or will I have to go over it manually?

The people at Skullknight.net might be able to tell you.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I just started watching the anime I am only 6 episodes in. Should I start reading the manga? I see in the op that the manga is suggested. Does the anime really skip a lot of things?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's more like the anime only covers about 1% of the total story, and you'd have to re-read it anyway since the anime skips over several important scenes and character introductions. So, that being the case, other than serving as an advertisement for the manga (with an awesome Susumu Hirasawa soundtrack), there isn't much point to watching the anime.

A Stranger
Sep 14, 2010
Yes and yes. The anime only covers one story arc of the manga.
e: poo poo gently caress, beaten! Sorry, other people who clicked this in the hope of there being a new chapter

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Yes I just noticed the considerable back story and detail difference just in the first chapter and the first episode. Will continue with the manga, definitively.

e: at least I got to listen to Gat's theme, such beauty.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

This is a dumb question, but:

Do you think mermaids existed before the great transformation, or do you think the stories a dad told his daughter created them?