Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Gram-O-Phone posted:

EPIC WIN!

It's basically You Bet with a tired internet catchphrase, a celebrity panel, a cheesy trophy and Alexander Armstrong. Is it wrong that I think it's awesome?

You can bet your arse that some twat in hush puppies at the BBC thinks it's the latest thing with the yoof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

Wormophile posted:

Nope, poo poo show.

You're so wrong! Outnumbered is a really great show, I'd encourage you to give the earlier series a second chance. It's well written and the kids are endearing.

That said, I did get the impression from the first episode of this series that the kids are getting a bit old. I trust the writers would never let it get like My Family, so I'd imagine this'd be the last series unless they go in a different direction with some of the characters. I mean, Jake has had to evolve over the series, but three Jakes wouldn't make for a very fun show.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
Watching Appropriate Adult and it's pretty good, especially for ITV. They must have said 'Appropriate Adult' about 30 times so far though.

I'm not sure if it's just me associating Dominic West with the Wire, but parts of it play like really dark comedy. First of there's the first West monologue casually talking about how he murdered his daughter whilst the first time appropriate adult is obviously mortified and underprepared. Then there was West saying "If only they knew" with typical Dominic West "I'm smarter than them" :smug:, and then "We were having an arugment and somehow she ended up strangled."

Perhaps me reading humour into this says more about me than the program.

AlMac
Oct 5, 2003

Peter Serafinowicz says I'M THE BEST
Yeah, I'm really enjoying Appropriate Adult. I'm a fan of Emily Watson and she's doing a great job of showing her increasing horror at everything West admits to. If only ITV could do more things like this, rather than whatever the hell it is they show 95% of the time.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
drat it. Recorded E4 instead of Four Lions over on C4.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Pablo Bluth posted:

drat it. Recorded E4 instead of Four Lions over on C4.

Sounds like a jolly good reason to get it on DVD!

Check 4OD, maybe it will go on there since it's a Channel 4 film.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
My main problem with Appropriate Adult, and I had it with The Hour as well, is that there have been chances for West to exclaim "What the gently caress did I do?" and they haven't capitalised on it. Shoddy programming.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

We're all signing the petition to save BBC 4, right?

http://savebbc4.com/

Good.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Inbetweeners 2? http://www.fit4talent.com/news/the-inbetweeners-2-gets-green-light/56/

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

I thought that link would be to a sketch show parody

I was wrong :negative:

It's still about as much of a game as Deal or No Deal.

Deal or No Deal is a terrible show, but is responsible for one of the most memorable moments of TV for me. You haven't truly seen the worst that TV has to offer until you've seen a grown man breaking down and crying over losing his shot at the money he needed to give his family a decent Christmas. The icing on the cake: he is wearing an elf costume because it's a festive episode.

gently caress you for making me see that, Noel Edmonds.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

So, apparently The Fast Show is coming back.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

ChuckDHead posted:

It's still about as much of a game as Deal or No Deal.
Deal or No Deal is a game in which a man called The Banker attempts to pinpoint the exact level of cowardice of a person based on their reaction to a series of random events, but people get confused because it is viewed from the perspective of the individual people.

It is much, much more of a game than either of those other two things!

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

sebzilla posted:

So, apparently The Fast Show is coming back.

As one of those online Fosters things, apparently. I loving loved The Fast Show when I was 14, but I can't imagine watching it now.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Shelf Adventure posted:

Watching Appropriate Adult and it's pretty good, especially for ITV. They must have said 'Appropriate Adult' about 30 times so far though.

I'm not sure if it's just me associating Dominic West with the Wire, but parts of it play like really dark comedy. First of there's the first West monologue casually talking about how he murdered his daughter whilst the first time appropriate adult is obviously mortified and underprepared. Then there was West saying "If only they knew" with typical Dominic West "I'm smarter than them" :smug:, and then "We were having an arugment and somehow she ended up strangled."

Perhaps me reading humour into this says more about me than the program.

No I don't think it's just you, it definitely comes across at times as dark humour but you may have hit the nail on the head by people who have seen him in The Wire (and even The Hour to a lesser extent) seeing that smirk on his face and reading into it way more than it's meant to.

The setup for the first interview was great, she's presuming that there's some numpty in there too confused to understand why he has been busted for shoplifting etc and the expression on her face when the policewoman opens up with "So Fred, why did you kill your daughter?"

Seeing the pictures they have recreated was a shock to the system, anyone old enough at the time to remember the grinning Fred pictures in the papers surely will be amazed at how drat close West has come to looking just like him especially the first picture they showed of Fred and Rose together. In fact, thinking about it, surname West as well...

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So Collins and Herring is pretty much definitely done right? It was getting a bit rote by the end but every so often it could still be funny.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

thebardyspoon posted:

So Collins and Herring is pretty much definitely done right? It was getting a bit rote by the end but every so often it could still be funny.

Hopefully Herring will pair up with someone funnier (i.e. anyone)

Mellomeh
Jun 12, 2006

thebardyspoon posted:

I was optimistic at first that the 'hiatus' would be exactly that, however in retrospect that was probably just their tactful way of ending the podcasts forever. Which is a shame.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Z-Magic posted:

Hopefully Herring will pair up with someone funnier (i.e. anyone)

Agreed.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It's worth downloading his Edinburgh podcasts, there's 25 or so, so plenty to keep you entertained.

What did everyone think of Appropriate Adult? I really enjoyed it, the whole cast is superb, and it's sure to win loads of awards.

Cokeysmoke
Nov 6, 2010
I didn't really find a general UK Music thread, and since he's an actor as well, does anyone know how Matt Berry is live? I might be able to see him this month and I was just wondering if its worth it or not.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
Uuugghhh I think I need to re-evaluate my life, I just declined a party invite so that I can stay in tonight and watch the Big British Bake Off oh god what have I become.

Cokeysmoke posted:

I didn't really find a general UK Music thread, and since he's an actor as well, does anyone know how Matt Berry is live? I might be able to see him this month and I was just wondering if its worth it or not.

Pretty sure we saw him as some sort of scary judge in the London Dungeon when I was 12? ***** five stars

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

To be fair, it is the biscuit episode, which looked very exciting in the preview.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
Mary-Anne is my favourite, she bleeds cake and shits bread. Also they promised me over 1000 macaroons in that preview, they better not try to fob me off with like 700 macaroons I will know.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Wormophile posted:

Uuugghhh I think I need to re-evaluate my life, I just declined a party invite so that I can stay in tonight and watch the Big British Bake Off oh god what have I become.

It's cool. I chose tomorrow night instead of tonight for a date with a very nice bloke purely because of the Bake-Off. We can all be sad together in this thread.

(gently caress yeah, 1000 macaroons, the X-Factor can only aspire to the excitement of watching Mary-Anne and the dude with the floppy hair make a 1000-macaroon tower)

Banjos4Hobos
Jun 22, 2006

Wormophile posted:

I'm so happy it's not just me that's bafflingly obsessed with this programme.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
In today's world of iplayers and DVR, there isn't one show I love enough to change plans around at the moment. BSG was probably the only one I made any serious effort to watch the same night as it was on.

I'm glad you guys have that show. I did see some of the battenberg episode (I assume this is the right show?), couldn't get hooked on the premise of 14 people all making the same thing with the same stuff though.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Was quite surprised to see Zaphod Beeblebrox on University Challenge last night.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Leovinus posted:

Was quite surprised to see Zaphod Beeblebrox on University Challenge last night.

He was wearing a Naruto headband and a Marvel Tee-shirt and had also died his otherwise uncared for hair purple, but his team totally stomped so I guess I can't argue with the results?

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun

incredible bear posted:

I'm glad you guys have that show. I did see some of the battenberg episode (I assume this is the right show?), couldn't get hooked on the premise of 14 people all making the same thing with the same stuff though.

UMMMM get with it they have the signature bake and the bake display jeez guy

I tried to make bread at the weekend it turned out poo poo I am such a rob :saddowns:

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
So are the producers keeping Rob in? Because I could bake better then him. And I wouldn't drop the loving cake.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

incredible bear posted:

Someone already mentioned that non-technical rounds let the participants do different things, but I just had to say that I really liked the battenberg round because of how objective it made the competition. You could absolutely see why the best ones were best, no wishy-washy judging!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Mary Anne owned the poo poo out of the signature bake, they looked awesome. Brandy snaps are pretty tough, so half of them will gently caress it up.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Ahahaha! This brandysnap challenge will sort the men from the boys. They're all clearly bricking it (apart from Mary-Anne, who is clearly a woman who knows her biscuits)

Holy crap, that silly woman with the wee girly-girl voice couldn't even get her oven on the right temperature!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Mary Anne fell at the last whipped cream hurdle and came second. The winner did look perfect though.

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
If Rob gets through again I will poo poo my trousers in fury.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Some of those macaroons are colours I would hesitate to put near my mouth. Electric blue, puke green and fuschia pink are not sensible colours for dinky wee biscuits.

Whatsisface with his cocktail macaroons look quite good though.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!
Why don't we have funeral biscuits anymore? That's a nice tradition they could bring back. Maybe trade it for fox hunting.

Irisi posted:

Some of those macaroons are colours I would hesitate to put near my mouth. Electric blue, puke green and fuschia pink are not sensible colours for dinky wee biscuits.

Crispy on the outside, soft in the middle, ARMADIL .. uh .. MACAROONS!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Irisi posted:

Jason, his brandy snaps were top notch as well. Yasmin should count herself lucky not to be knocked out this time as well.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Jason, his brandy snaps were top notch as well. Yasmin should count herself lucky not to be knocked out this time as well.

Glad Ben has gone. He sometimes seemed like he might get a bit aggressive, which isn't appropriate for a televised baking competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Bye bye, Angry Ben. The judges needs to watch their back now, he was clearly harbouring a bit of murderous rage at the end there.

Next week looks good though. Glory, tragedy and pie, what's not to love?