Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I just setup another Netflix account without any issue, it knew my CC was entered so I didn't get another free trial. No big deal. I tested it out and I have Star Trek up and it switched to HD!! Not even the loving Canadian one did this, I watched Exit Through the Give Shop earlier today and it never switched up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

teethgrinder posted:

You use their DNS server and it redirects for you. I've been using the service for around half a year now and can't complain.

I had no trouble setting up a US Netflix account with Entropay, but I haven't figured out how to do Hulu Plus since they require a US billing address. As far as I can tell, I'd have to buy US$ pre-paid credit cards from somewhere, but that's not worth the trouble. I can just use the free Hulu service from my PC.

Was just curious, I mean I have access to US based dns servers. If that all they're doing surely a few changes to my personal servers would get by that.

FWIW, dont pay for hulu plus. You still get commercials.

quote:

I just setup another Netflix account without any issue, it knew my CC was entered so I didn't get another free trial. No big deal. I tested it out and I have Star Trek up and it switched to HD!! Not even the loving Canadian one did this, I watched Exit Through the Give Shop earlier today and it never switched up.
US Netflix doesn't downgrade the quality to sac any of its bandwidth. If you're on caps be very careful.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

teethgrinder posted:

Not free, but I'm really happy with usvideo.org. Almost done watching all of TOS :D
I think that is the $4.99 thing Vintersong was saying he didn't want.

That said, I use it too and I love it. I've been back to using Pandora and renting movies off Vudu as well. However, I miss Canadian Netflix. Personally, I think their selection is better than the US one.

Vintersorg posted:

No, it will do that on the Canadian one too. I think you have to manually change it in your account settings, though, because it defaults to assuming you have an ISP with a low cap.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

The Gunslinger posted:

That's just the go-to residential customer response because business customers typically get treated better. I was hearing the same thing from UUNet dialup customers like 15 years ago, some things never change.

I worked at third party who did tech support for such cable company. There is client that doesn't know the difference with a network failure and a power failure. Their view if there it electricity it should work. Also when power failure happens their modem will stay alive for about 8 hours. I had client calling me because their phone wasn't working in such case, 99% of the time was because it needed power. I even had to sent a tech to such a client because she insistent it didn't power, turns out it did and she had to pay for it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am on the Shaw Extreme package, so I get like, 300GB I think. Altho with all my downloading, I will have to be careful. Uploading actually works now with my new router (I had some POS Linksys that had blocked ports and it wouldn't even let me get into the settings to change it, got a 404) and doing so at 300KB can gently caress me up. At least my ratios are good. :3:

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 4, 2011

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

teethgrinder posted:

Not free, but I'm really happy with usvideo.org. Almost done watching all of TOS :D

holy poo poo thanks for this. when I set it up at the router level its completely transparent to everything in my house

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I signed up for the usvideo.org trial and it works fantastically well. I don't care for netflix or hulu or whatever, I just want to use it for the BBC iPlayer. Except I'm really hesitant on spending money on these guys because how is this even remotely legal? It's circumventing numerous content & copyright contracts so wouldn't it be a case of 1000s of high priced lawyers just waiting to pounce on this thing? They only came into existence early this year, right?

Then again it's only $5/mth so even if they do get shut down tomorrow it's not much money down the hole.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

XausF1 posted:

I signed up for the usvideo.org trial and it works fantastically well. I don't care for netflix or hulu or whatever, I just want to use it for the BBC iPlayer. Except I'm really hesitant on spending money on these guys because how is this even remotely legal? It's circumventing numerous content & copyright contracts so wouldn't it be a case of 1000s of high priced lawyers just waiting to pounce on this thing? They only came into existence early this year, right?

Then again it's only $5/mth so even if they do get shut down tomorrow it's not much money down the hole.

I've been using them without any problem for 6 months now. It works really well with my WD TV Live Plus.

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow
Can we abolish the CRTC already

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

tripwire posted:

Can we abolish the CRTC already

Only if we replace it with something better. No regulation is not better than lovely regulation.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

8ender posted:

holy poo poo thanks for this. when I set it up at the router level its completely transparent to everything in my house
I'm pretty sure I originally found out about it from someone posting it early in this same thread, heh. Been using it ever since anyway.

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

Lone Rogue posted:

Only if we replace it with something better.
drat, its hard to imagine how anything could be better than a commission who has made their mandate the protection of big business

Whimsy
Jan 8, 2001

tripwire posted:

drat, its hard to imagine how anything could be better than a commission who has made their mandate the protection of big business

It's bad enough that the CRTC saw no problem with caps but were able to suspend that decision until they had more information. Imagine how much better it would have been if Bell were free to decide "gently caress third party ISPs, we're running the whole game now!", with nothing to stand in their way.

It's lovely that by being a Teksavvy customer I'm subsidizing Bell's campaign to ruin the third party ISP market. But it could be much worse without the CRTC.

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow
Well they may be ineffectual and in bed with the corporations, but at least that false dilemma never happened.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
If my internet goes out and I'm a residential customer I don't see why I'm not entitled to get pissed off. The internet is a utility just like gas and hydro. Those rarely go out and if they do it's only because of some significant event.

ISP service goes down all the time and it should not be acceptable. My lovely Cogeco connection dies at least once every night early in the morning because those assholes think that just because less people are using it in the early morning it is acceptable to power cycle their equipment or do maintenance.

The fact that being able to pause/resume incomplete downloads is so prevalent is a sad testament to the shitness of ISPs. When you're browing the net you don't notice the periodic hiccups but when you need to maintain an open connection for eight hours you sure notice.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 5, 2011

MeestarK
Aug 12, 2004
Its cold outside
If I already have Canadian Netflix, will using usvideo automatically switch me to US netflix when I try to access it or do I need to sign up for a seperate Netflix US account?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MeestarK posted:

If I already have Canadian Netflix, will using usvideo automatically switch me to US netflix when I try to access it or do I need to sign up for a seperate Netflix US account?

You need a US Netflix account, billing address and credit card. Entropay is what I use and it's been working fine.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

tripwire posted:

Well they may be ineffectual and in bed with the corporations, but at least that false dilemma never happened.

"No CRTC" sounds wonderful, but not when there is restrictions on non-Canadian companies setting up still.

Cry "Free Telecom Market" not "Free from CRTC". It makes a little more sense to your cause. No CRTC with Bell just means Bell controls Canada. No restrictions means companies from all over the world can come in and compete with Bell. Sounds much better to me.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Stanley Pain posted:

You need a US Netflix account, billing address and credit card. Entropay is what I use and it's been working fine.

I just signed up with my PC Financial MC and it worked fine?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

8ender posted:

I just signed up with my PC Financial MC and it worked fine?
Yeah, Netflix US now accepts credit cards from anywhere.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

...weird! Guess I can stop topping up my Entropay account.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

kuddles posted:

Yeah, Netflix US now accepts credit cards from anywhere.

Really? loving sweet :D

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Rogers to gamers: Do you play games? Boo hoo.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Jetfire posted:

Rogers to gamers: Do you play games? Boo hoo.

How funny is the title of that article: "it may be " . WTF? It is throttling games.

How I wish to be able to throttle my bill payment as well. "Hey Rogers, i guess you went over the allocated income bandwith for this month. Instead of 2$ per day, i'll squeeze the output to 0.1 cents per day". It should be only fair. I should only pay what I consume, don't they say that already?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
EDIT: Oh, Murphy is the Gamers person.

Problem is, TekSavvy Cable users in Ontario use Rogers lines, therefore they can get throttled by Rogers. It's something we cannot prevent and only monitor and report.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!
Yea boy i'm glad shaw/telus dont do that here and have better/cheaper plans. I still dont understand how that works but i dont recall care.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

cowofwar posted:

If my internet goes out and I'm a residential customer I don't see why I'm not entitled to get pissed off. The internet is a utility just like gas and hydro. Those rarely go out and if they do it's only because of some significant event.

ISP service goes down all the time and it should not be acceptable. My lovely Cogeco connection dies at least once every night early in the morning because those assholes think that just because less people are using it in the early morning it is acceptable to power cycle their equipment or do maintenance.

I was just going to say that recently Cogeco's idea of a significant event is "it being a weekday that ends in 'day'". My internet has been bouncing on and off for a big portion of the month. I hesitate to say it's a routine thing, they must be having some problems with the equipment because it's been near rock solid for a while before this month, but I'm getting a little frustrated that it's ongoing right now.

It sucks that your equipment breaks but at the same time it sucks that my internet is down and I'd like to think I'm allowed to bitch about it :(

Also:

Rogers article posted:

All the applications classified as peer-to-peer traffic have a combined bandwidth of 80 kilobits per second or more – the threshold that trips the network traffic management system.

I hope I'm not reading this right and that anything that sustains 80kbps is classified as p2p? That sounds ridiculous and basically any online game that isn't scrabble has a decent chance of tripping that. Xbox Live? PSN?

e: Ehh, now that I think about it I may be exaggerating it. 80kbps is a fair amount, but I still think that it can be tripped pretty frequently.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 7, 2011

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
A four person Skype chat with HD feeds will probably trip the 80kbps

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm going to laugh every time I watch those stupid Rogers "you still get your internet from the phone company?" commercials. Blazing fast speed! (Just make sure you don't p2p over 80kbps :ssh:)

Aqualung
Oct 10, 2005

Don't worry guys, Ron knows the guy who drives the crane.

Lone Rogue posted:

Problem is, TekSavvy Cable users in Ontario use Rogers lines, therefore they can get throttled by Rogers. It's something we cannot prevent and only monitor and report.

This isn't true.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
As someone on TSI cable in the toronto area I've never seen that 80kbps download limit. When the gf was on bell, I her torrents wouldn't go faster than 100k tops. We see 1.7-2.0 mbps on our torrent/web downloads.

I've never had issues with any online games so far.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Am I wrong, or doesn't Rogers have to give the wholesalers like TekSavvy access to the same speeds that they offer? Why is Rogers trying to sell me on 32 Mbps service when I can only get up to 15 with the TekSavvy cable that I have?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

thexerox123 posted:

Am I wrong, or doesn't Rogers have to give the wholesalers like TekSavvy access to the same speeds that they offer? Why is Rogers trying to sell me on 32 Mbps service when I can only get up to 15 with the TekSavvy cable that I have?

The CRTC needs to decide on pricing for a tier, based on submissions from the provider and the resaler. They've done this for basic tiers, and have until December 31st 2011 for all other tiers.

Also, tiers are set by their 'name', not their speed. Rogers is upping their 15 mbits offering to 24 mbit, and Teksavvy users are getting the same bump for free. (also, 10 to 15 for all userS)

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

EoRaptor posted:

The CRTC needs to decide on pricing for a tier, based on submissions from the provider and the resaler. They've done this for basic tiers, and have until December 31st 2011 for all other tiers.

Also, tiers are set by their 'name', not their speed. Rogers is upping their 15 mbits offering to 24 mbit, and Teksavvy users are getting the same bump for free. (also, 10 to 15 for all userS)

But their highest tier isn't available at all to TekSavvy users yet... so, they don't have to give us access to it until the CRTC decides on pricing sometime before December 31st?

Aqualung
Oct 10, 2005

Don't worry guys, Ron knows the guy who drives the crane.

thexerox123 posted:

But their highest tier isn't available at all to TekSavvy users yet... so, they don't have to give us access to it until the CRTC decides on pricing sometime before December 31st?

Yep.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

thexerox123 posted:

Welcome to Canada, would you like some Duopolic Rape? Just kidding, you don't get to choose.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Lone Rogue posted:

EDIT: Oh, Murphy is the Gamers person.

This absolutely is not true. I've been using Teksavvy for a year on a dry loop. No throttling at all.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

melon cat posted:

This absolutely is not true. I've been using Teksavvy for a year on a dry loop. No throttling at all.

Dry loop uses Bell, not Rogers.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

less than three posted:

Dry loop uses Bell, not Rogers.
Also, Bell has been throttling Teksavvy connections for years so melon cat's area may just be lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

StealthArcher posted:

Welcome to Canada, would you like some Duopolic Rape? Just kidding, you don't get to choose.

This is hardly unique to Canada; most places in the US have a similar setup.