Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

dokomoy posted:

When you say you don't agree with his theories are you talking about when he said guard was dead or whatever? I thought that was monumentally dumb, but everything else he's said in interviews or on his dvds have made a lot of sense to me.

That was a dumb soundbite but a lot of the things he said in that interview were true; I just thought he was taking valid observations and drawing incorrect conclusions (which is the issue I have with many of the things he says).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
what seemed incorrect? Everything he said sounded good to me, almost painfully obvious with some of it. However, I was listening while driving so my attention was not 100% of the interview, so I might have missed some parts.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

what seemed incorrect? Everything he said sounded good to me, almost painfully obvious with some of it. However, I was listening while driving so my attention was not 100% of the interview, so I might have missed some parts.

I was talking about the "guard is dead" interview, not this one.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

fatherdog posted:

I was talking about the "guard is dead" interview, not this one.

Why is Ryan hall so regarded? My coach has rollled with him and mentioned him but didn't go into detail about who he is or where he trains etc

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

these were awesome

cool to see bjj guys doing more strength conditioning type workouts now also as it does help I find. I feel my stamina and grappling strength improves with weight training also.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

BlindSite posted:

Why is Ryan hall so regarded? My coach has rollled with him and mentioned him but didn't go into detail about who he is or where he trains etc

I'd rank him as the best home grown american black belt. Very smooth, fluid style, very good at what he does, and competes a lot. When he was at the lower belts he took a lot of people out using a very distinctive inverted guard style and a lot of heel hooks. A large portion of the Ryan Hall legend is also that when he was training under Lloyd Irvin, Irvin pimped the hell out of him using a very effective marketing machine. He broke away a couple of years ago though, and after getting his black belt and competing under Brasa for a while he's now competing with Alliance. The change seems to have something to do with all the time he's been spending in New York training under Marcelo.

As for what's so cool about him:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mJT_PgVgPY

He's got some pretty good instructionals out too, I like his teaching style.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

awkward_turtle posted:

I'd rank him as the best home grown american black belt.

I agree with everything else you said, but Rafael Lovato Jr is easily the most accomplished American Comeptitor(black belt World Champ, black belt Pan Am Champ, ADCC medalist, Brazilian National Champ at black belt etc).

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

dokomoy posted:

I agree with everything else you said, but Rafael Lovato Jr is easily the most accomplished American Comeptitor(black belt World Champ, black belt Pan Am Champ, ADCC medalist, Brazilian National Champ at black belt etc).

Hasn't Jake shields got similar resume though, ADCC bronze medalist, Pan Am Gold, and 3 grapplers quest titles he's got a superfight or two win too doesn't he?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I can't remember the name of a sweep, can anyone help. From guard you reach under your opponents knee with the hand on that side, shift your hips so you're almost perpendicular, scissor your legs and roll while switching your hips and lifting to end up in mount?

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

BlindSite posted:

Let's Play GUESS THAT MOVE

Pendulum sweep?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Senor P. posted:

Pendulum sweep?

That's the one thanks, I've been putting some time into it and really enjoying how it's coming off just wanted to get some more vids to make sure I'm keeping poo poo where it needs to be to get it quickly and efficiently.

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007
This is my favorite sweep of all time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zLNb6zd3zU

A brown belt at my old gym used it all the time and I continue to use it on a constant basis, with good results.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

BlindSite posted:

That's the one thanks, I've been putting some time into it and really enjoying how it's coming off just wanted to get some more vids to make sure I'm keeping poo poo where it needs to be to get it quickly and efficiently.

It's also sometimes referred to as a flower sweep.

westcoaster
Oct 26, 2010
Isn't that an armbar sweep?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Yep, they're all pretty much the same movement.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Had a really good practice last night, didn't roll with any of the higher level guys, but managed to style on the other white belts, even managed to get a side triangle on one dude and a couple of rear naked chokes and armbars from taking the back. I'm finding against bigger and more aggressive guys using some quickness I can take their backs quickly and with more frequency than I can snatch subs in scrambles.

Going to work on pendulum sweeps and guillotines off faking the hip bump sweeps tonight with one of the blue belts who wants to do some extra outside of classes.

It's a pretty cool feeling after weeks of getting destroyed week in and out by muscle bound meat heads and higher level guys to start pulling off stuff I've been failing with in rolling.

I skipped out last week feeling pretty disheartened after getting the poo poo beat out of me two weeks in a row by partners the coach paired me with. I see his reasoning now when I get on the mat with the other beginners who declined rolling with the bigger guys or higher belts. Aside from one eye poke and bent funny toe and weak kimura attempt from guard I wasn't put in one position where I felt legitimately threatened by an attempt and I can honestly say that's never happened to me in a grappling class before.

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007
I finally returned to class this week after being out for three weeks. What is interesting is, I have gotten at least one straight knee bar in each class, and I have never really gone for them in the past, nor do I ever get them when I try. But this time, it's like, they just come to me gift wrapped and they are automatic. It usually happens while I am trying to escape someones halfguard. I have a feeling the opportunity has always been there, but my eyes can just see this better now? I feel my time off has helped with this, as weird as that may sound. Almost like it has made me see things differently.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

hopper2k posted:

I finally returned to class this week after being out for three weeks. What is interesting is, I have gotten at least one straight knee bar in each class, and I have never really gone for them in the past, nor do I ever get them when I try. But this time, it's like, they just come to me gift wrapped and they are automatic. It usually happens while I am trying to escape someones halfguard. I have a feeling the opportunity has always been there, but my eyes can just see this better now? I feel my time off has helped with this, as weird as that may sound. Almost like it has made me see things differently.

Try to keep it. Don't start looking for it and you'll start seeing them _everywhere_ for a few weeks until your class catches on a little. :)

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape
I can't remember if it was here or in the A/T thread, but I think someone mentioned their school was hosting the Jean Jacques Machado Tri-State Open this weekend (quite a while ago). Just in case whoever you are is still reading this thread, I'll be there for the seminar and the tournament along with half my school.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Are butterfly hooks just for sweeping?

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
Nah they're good for setting up knee/ankle attacks off the elevator too, and for getting a postured opponent to post an arm so you can triangle/armbar/omoplata/take back.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Ridleys Revenge posted:

Nah they're good for setting up knee/ankle attacks off the elevator too, and for getting a postured opponent to post an arm so you can triangle/armbar/omoplata/take back.
Ah poo poo I didn't even think of making em post an arm using it. Thanks RR.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Another one for you RR, or someone else.
When an opponent turtles up they expect me to stand over them from behind or try a turnover, but whats to stop me from doing a darce choke? Seems like no one ever expects that. And they can tuck their chin as much as they want, it won't make the choke less effective right?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Nierbo posted:

When an opponent turtles up they expect me to stand over them from behind or try a turnover, but whats to stop me from doing a darce choke? Seems like no one ever expects that. And they can tuck their chin as much as they want, it won't make the choke less effective right?

clock choke my fren, best fight in world.

take the back, break him down HS wrasslin style, get nuts.

unless its this guy

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Nierbo posted:

You mean arm triangle and don't actually mean d'arce do you? The d'arce is a particular arm triangle. I presume you are discussing an arm triangle set up off a front headlock with one arm inside. The thing that keeps you from locking on an arm triangle on a turtled opponent is that in a proper turtle his arms and elbows are in a defensive position that allows him to prevent you form getting a proper grip and once you get the grip your opponent can still sit out or sit back into guard.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Yuns posted:

You mean arm triangle and don't actually mean d'arce do you? The d'arce is a particular arm triangle. I presume you are discussing an arm triangle set up off a front headlock with one arm inside.
Sorry, yes, thats what I meant.

Yuns posted:

The thing that keeps you from locking on an arm triangle on a turtled opponent is that in a proper turtle his arms and elbows are in a defensive position that allows him to prevent you form getting a proper grip and once you get the grip your opponent can still sit out or sit back into guard.
Gotcha. Thanks.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
It's pretty hard to finish a darce when your opponent is in a strong turtle, but you absolutely can set it up from there. There's two main ways, first you can break your opponents turtle like Jeff Glover shows here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RysR90q4DIQ

Or you can slide into the darce and walk him down(he's showing this with the gi, but no gi you can slide and do a regular darce)

http://www.youtube.com/user/AthleticBodyCare#p/search/0/oc26o5WDICg

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Nierbo posted:

Seatbealt to backmount when people turtle. All day errday.

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
Yeah, I find that the usual strat among former highschool wrestlers for attacking Turtle is to come at you from a side, grab a Quarter Nelson and drive into you until they can knock you over and slip in a D'arce (I'm reluctant to call it a choke because I've only ever been neck cranked by a D'arce). This is why you've gotta use Turtle as a transitory position and, in that case, flop over and grab Half Guard literally as soon as the opponent commits his weight into you.

Generally when I attack the Turtle I look to sprawl on them head-on, and then grab a Side (arm in) Guillotine because it lets you take back reliably if it fails. The Seatbelt Summersault strat (from behind) works really well if you do it like Marcelo, but when most people do it to me they either just give me an arm and get swept or succeed in flipping me over but fail at getting their hooks in and eventually I crawl to Side Control.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Ridleys Revenge posted:

Yeah, I find that the usual strat among former highschool wrestlers for attacking Turtle is to come at you from a side, grab a Quarter Nelson and drive into you until they can knock you over and slip in a D'arce (I'm reluctant to call it a choke because I've only ever been neck cranked by a D'arce).

The D'arce is a choke. The fact that your training partners are lovely at it does not make the move not a choke.

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

fatherdog posted:

The D'arce is a choke. The fact that your training partners are lovely at it does not make the move not a choke.

I asked Xande Ribeiro to D'arce choke me on multiple occasions when we've trained and he wasn't able to do it (I'd have to tap ofc, but we both agreed it was just a crank, there's only pressure on one carotid). But he's probably just bad at it huh :allears:

E: All other arm triangles work fine on me btw. I think some of us just aren't built right for the D'arce (I'm a pretty skinny dude)

Ridleys Revenge fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 13, 2011

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Ridleys Revenge posted:

I had Xande Ribeiro attempt to D'arce choke me on multiple occasions when we've trained and he wasn't able to do it (I'd have to tap ofc, but we both agreed it was just a crank, there's only pressure on one carotid). But he's probably just bad at it huh :allears:

Well, guys in competition have been choked unconscious with it on a multitude of occasions, so yes, apparently he is. Since one generally doesn't pass out from being neck cranked.

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

Found some clips of people getting D'arced out, yeah I dunno why it doesn't choke me, doesn't look like they're doing it any differently either. Maybe I'm magic?

Ridleys Revenge fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 13, 2011

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Swick/Paulo Thiago in the UFC just off the top of my head, and I've seen it personally at more grappler's quests than I care to remember. It's not even uncommon.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
maybe xande hates you and is trying to murder you

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
Some people are magic. I trained with a dude that would never tap to Arm triangles. Put 200 pounds of weight on the guy and he would just lie there, breathing. Skinny fucker!

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.
There are some people who are, whether by accident or design, really hard to choke in general or with one choke in particular. With arm triangles I find I sort of have a feel for what's a good choke and how to get there that sometimes comes and goes. I'm not Xande obviously but sometimes I feel I just naturally get to a good blood choke and sometimes I feel like I don't know what I'm doing. Arm triangles are like that.

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

Grab Your Foot! posted:

There are some people who are, whether by accident or design, really hard to choke in general or with one choke in particular. With arm triangles I find I sort of have a feel for what's a good choke and how to get there that sometimes comes and goes. I'm not Xande obviously but sometimes I feel I just naturally get to a good blood choke and sometimes I feel like I don't know what I'm doing. Arm triangles are like that.

I've almost never felt a blood choke from an arm triangle, it's always a neck crank for me.

Fleshpeg
Oct 23, 2001
Stop harassing me!
The Darce seems to be especially sensitive to neck size. It's easier to get the choking arm all the way through on skinnier guys but it often ends up being a crank or just painful. One thing I've noticed when I've been incorrectly Darce'd is the pressure from the forearm is usually on the muscle on the side of the neck rather than the carotid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

its an anatomy thing for sure. Some guys just have a weird neck/shoulder combo that prevents the shoulder from getting flush to the neck and cutting off the blood supply.