Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

It's daddy shithead, where's the bourbon?

Twilly posted:

And my plant is back to needing a Trial of Strength. My plant is the biggest scrub in this tournament :argh: Out of curiosity (i.e. to confirm this isn't luck based) was your Attending to the Needs of a Singular Plant quality <14 the first time and >=14ish this time?

My plant was just at 14 when I challenged you and at 12 and 13 when I challenged the other times. So I don't think it is luck based either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

How do I open up the route to the Empress' Court? I'm there right now from society connections, but I don't wanna use those up every time.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

I believe that's the only way to get in.

Dinho Eledair
Feb 20, 2006

The Duchess works as well and is cheaper I think.

My twitter account is Dinho_Eledair if anyone wants to add me. I'm up for plant on plant combat and I'm also looking for boxed cats if anyone has any to pass around.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Corridor posted:

How do I open up the route to the Empress' Court? I'm there right now from society connections, but I don't wanna use those up every time.

That and using Duchess connections is the only route. It's really annoying, since there's no scandal-reducing storylet there (I think?) so you're screwed if you're losing a lot.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
There's... one, and I believe it's part of one of the arcs there. I know it's one of those 'raise and spend a trait for prizes of varying value!' things, and unfortunately it's frightfully inefficient.

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

Quick question, does anyone know where to easily get Morelways wine from? I would like to do the tournament but I don't have any.

Ouroborus777
Mar 23, 2011

"There were no survivors, including the puppy."

rev.justin posted:

Quick question, does anyone know where to easily get Morelways wine from? I would like to do the tournament but I don't have any.

http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Morelways_1872_Sources

Simplest is buying 1000 x Greyfields 1882 and waiting for the card "A presumptuous little opportunity" which allows you to convert that into 200 x Morelways 1872.

Also, looking for somebody at Contest of Blood.

Ouroborus777 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 12, 2011

Twilly
Apr 7, 2009

rev.justin posted:

My plant was just at 14 when I challenged you and at 12 and 13 when I challenged the other times. So I don't think it is luck based either.

My plant was almost 15 the third time, so it sounds like it's based on whoever has the higher except when they're equal, then it just rolls a dice (instead of taking change points into account).

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Dinho Eledair posted:

The Duchess works as well and is cheaper I think.

My twitter account is Dinho_Eledair if anyone wants to add me. I'm up for plant on plant combat and I'm also looking for boxed cats if anyone has any to pass around.

Thanks for the starveling cat btw. :v: I'll send you any boxes I find.
(I'm @cyberasylum)

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Uhh, what is the difference between, say, a Hard-Earned Lesson and a Surprise Attack Plan?

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION
Aren't all of those "second chance" items for each category essentially the same, just with differing flavor text?

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Corridor posted:

Uhh, what is the difference between, say, a Hard-Earned Lesson and a Surprise Attack Plan?

In my experience, the latter is rarer than the former but both do the same thing. I don't know why one hasn't been retired yet.

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION
Ah drat it, Nightmares hit 8, didn't expect buying 4th city rags to raise it so much (was at like 6 and 3/4 before).

Well this state of insanity is interesting at least, though kind of a waste of actions. Just wish I had managed to get Stormy-Eyed before I came here.

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

Back from exploring the Unterzee with my zub. Still looking for tournament partners(at lvl 4) while searching out a certain thing's name. Wonder how long the tournament is going to last?

Ouroborus777
Mar 23, 2011

Maybe I missed this somewhere; is there a way to gift items to other players?

boatiemathmo
Dec 12, 2004
There's a card that comes up occasionally with some, limited, gift choices. I think it only allows you to give someone some fate, some rats on a string or some second chance items (confident smiles etc). And needless to say you lose them from your account, so there's no net benefit.

Aside from that you can engage in activities with someone from your lodging to both earn the second chance items. And I think if you do so from the House of Chimes (unlocked by subscribing) then this also gives you both some diamonds some of the time.

The only other case I know if is if you're doing the Heart's Desire ambition, you need First City Coins. These can be obtained for you by a friend, and if you have 30 you can transfer them over.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Speaking of which, if anybody has 77 excess First City Coins I could take them off your hands for you.

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

Mozi posted:

Speaking of which, if anybody has 77 excess First City Coins I could take them off your hands for you.

Mozi what's your twitter account so I can add you and give you coins?

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

Looking for starveling cats if anyone has boxes. Can help on anything in return, twitter is madjnunofirem.

Ouroborus777
Mar 23, 2011

My Starveling cat seems to have disappeared. Do they just wander off by themselves after a while or what? I'm pretty sure nothing I did said it cost me the cat.

boatiemathmo
Dec 12, 2004
Spoilered because this all concerns the University storylets (Watchful 80+):

I'm trying to clear out the events at the University before starting my own department, because I gather that cuts off your access to the initial events. The only one I've not done that I'd like to is the Stoat's Honour end of term event, which requires Shadowy. It's still almost impossible to me at Shadowy 72, is there any way of working out/finding out when this will start being feasible to do?

Ouroborus777
Mar 23, 2011

boatiemathmo posted:

Spoilered because this all concerns the University storylets (Watchful 80+):

I'm trying to clear out the events at the University before starting my own department, because I gather that cuts off your access to the initial events. The only one I've not done that I'd like to is the Stoat's Honour end of term event, which requires Shadowy. It's still almost impossible to me at Shadowy 72, is there any way of working out/finding out when this will start being feasible to do?

It's been a while since I've done the University storylets. (I got kicked out and am awaiting new content related to that).

As I remember, all the storylets tied to Term Passing are repeatable. You don't get locked out of anything based on what you did on a previous term. Also, if you pick the right storylets, it's possible to advance both factions at the same time as certain storylets only affect one or the other. Don't remember what the requirements where for that specific storylet though.

But, like I said, it's been a while, so I could be wrong.

Looking around, Featuring in the Tales of the University lists those storylets.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

rev.justin posted:

Mozi what's your twitter account so I can add you and give you coins?

smozi14, thanks! I'll send you any boxes I come across.

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

Cool thanks, sent 60 coins your way!

boatiemathmo
Dec 12, 2004

Ouroborus777 posted:

It's been a while since I've done the University storylets. (I got kicked out and am awaiting new content related to that).

As I remember, all the storylets tied to Term Passing are repeatable. You don't get locked out of anything based on what you did on a previous term. Also, if you pick the right storylets, it's possible to advance both factions at the same time as certain storylets only affect one or the other. Don't remember what the requirements where for that specific storylet though.

But, like I said, it's been a while, so I could be wrong.

Looking around, Featuring in the Tales of the University lists those storylets.

You're in exactly the situation I'm looking to avoid. I know term storylets are repeatable, and that I can level up all the factions and thus hope to do them all. It's getting kicked out that I don't want to let happen until I've ticked them all off. Hence I'm levelling shadowy so I can finish it, but I don't have any idea how high I need it. Does anyone know?

Thanks for that link BTW, it's normally a good source but seems to be missing the info I need.

pocketwatch
Apr 26, 2008
Has anyone else noticed that a lot of the high-level content cuts off just after a major (possibly irrevocable) choice between factions? I can think of at least four such quests, and I'm beginning to wonder if it's a conscious attempt by the devs to get people to choose a path based on the story, without knowing the consequences from reading a wiki. If so, the smart thing to do is not advance the last few steps in any of those quests until the new content comes out and is recorded on a wiki. That's my plan, anyway.

Ouroborus777
Mar 23, 2011

Looking for a Contest of Cunning challenger yet again.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

rev.justin posted:

Cool thanks, sent 60 coins your way!

Hey, thanks for the coins! For some reason I haven't drawn any boxed cats at all the past few days, used to be rolling in them. As soon as they start turning up again I'll send them over.

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

Thanks Mozi I appreciate it! In other news whilst searching for a name I am looking for contest of blood challengers myself since Ouroborus's and Twilly's plants trounced mine earlier.

Symptomless Coma
Mar 30, 2007
for shock value
For anyone who's interested, it looks like Failbetter have just launched a new interactive narrative - http://www.nightcircus.co.uk/Home/AboutNightCircus

Doesn't look so much like a game, but I'm betting it should be similarly interesting.

Mr. Spooky
Jul 1, 2003

I was allowed this account on the condition that I never post.

Symptomless Coma posted:

For anyone who's interested, it looks like Failbetter have just launched a new interactive narrative - http://www.nightcircus.co.uk/Home/AboutNightCircus

Doesn't look so much like a game, but I'm betting it should be similarly interesting.

That's really cool! You can totally tell it uses the same basic coding, but it feels completely different!

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer
I had completely forgotten about this game! Is there any way to restart or delete a character? I'd like to start playing again, but I'd rather start fresh.

boatiemathmo
Dec 12, 2004
You can email the devs at ebbugs@failbettergames.com with your details and they'll delete your character for you.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
So does anyone need a boxed cat. And does anyone notice followers/followees not showing up in your list? I added rev.justin's twitter but can't seem to see it ingame.

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

Huh, that's weird could be because I was dead for a couple days in game? What is your twitter name?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Unter_Calaris

Weird, you'd think you'd still be able to look up someone's status. Like Lodgings: A Shallow Grave or something, I dunno.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, nothing so gauche, I'm sure. Something to let callers know that M. @johndoe is... temporarily indisposed would be nice though.

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

Gnome de plume posted:

Unter_Calaris

Weird, you'd think you'd still be able to look up someone's status. Like Lodgings: A Shallow Grave or something, I dunno.

Huh, I followed you as well and everything seems to be working well now.

As for other developments, boxes of cats will no longer be necessary where I am going. The search for the name keeps me up all hours of the day. Still I believe I am very close to finding all the answers. Nothing else matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Just as well, as even if you did need them I'd still be unable send you one, the contact list remaining unconvinced of your existence. Curious.