Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Barry Convex posted:

I don't think OP Rainfall is a relevant precedent here; it's fairly clear from DQMJ2's localization announcement (coming after most had written it off as Japan-only) that NCL is mandating that NOA handle all NA DQ releases for the foreseeable future.

You're missing my point. I'm not saying that Nintendo likely won't bring DQ10 out here because they didn't want to bring Xenoblade, Pandora's Tower, or The Last Story out here. DQ10 is a lock for a US release. It's a foregone conclusion for the exact reasons you state.

I'm questioning how Nintendo of America will, from a PR standpoint, go from "We're not releasing these Wii JRPGs in the US and we really don't care how badly you want them" to "Hey, check out this awesome Wii JRPG we're releasing here!"

The way I see it, they have two options.

1. They can ignore the elephant in the room. The relatively compliant gaming press, which never bothered to inquire about the status of the three Operation Rainfall games prior to the conception of Operation Rainfall, will allow Nintendo to get away with this option.

2. They can try to spin, probably by saying something like "Operation Rainfall got us thinking that maybe there's a market for these games, and we're glad to have Operation Rainfall supporters on board with the Wii U."

Regardless, I look forward to seeing how they pull this off. I realize that the core of people interested in DQ10 may not necessarily be the same core who were interested in Xenoblade et al, but Nintendo has some fence-mending ahead.

Fooley posted:

I keep hearing about this. I know Nintendo took notice but is it anything more than an Internet Petition?

Yes: it's a flood of Amazon preorders for the only one of the three games listed on said site. Nintendo didn't really take notice as much as they brushed the entire campaign off in their rush to abandon the Wii.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Barry Convex posted:

Square Enix' FAQ for the game (in Japanese) confirms that, while the first few hours are playable offline (probably a story-driven tutorial of some kind), the meat of the game can only be accessed with an Internet connection, and there is no proper single-player mode.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if this is a Wii U exclusive outside of Japan. The localizations may well not even be ready to ship until 2013.

Well that's bullshit. I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. If I were able to play this like I did IX then I would have been on board from day 1. Shoot, even with the random mooks I created I still had a blast and thought the story was pretty decent in IX. I find myself really bummed out about DQX.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They don't have to pull anything off. They won't acknowledge anything at all, ever, and will just release the game like any other.

I do wonder if they're gonna try to market it as a social/casual game like they did with DQ9. That poo poo with the DQ9 slumber party was just weird.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Terpfen posted:

I'm questioning how Nintendo of America will, from a PR standpoint, go from "We're not releasing these Wii JRPGs in the US and we really don't care how badly you want them" to "Hey, check out this awesome Wii JRPG we're releasing here!"

PR for the tiny percentage of people who gave a poo poo about any of those games? I can't really hold it against Nintendo considering that each and every one of those games would have been a complete flop in the US, probably even most of the people who signed the online petition wouldn't have even bought any of the games.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

Barry Convex posted:

Square Enix' FAQ for the game (in Japanese) confirms that, while the first few hours are playable offline (probably a story-driven tutorial of some kind), the meat of the game can only be accessed with an Internet connection, and there is no proper single-player mode.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if this is a Wii U exclusive outside of Japan. The localizations may well not even be ready to ship until 2013.

Oh lawdy. I'm very excited for a truly online DQ, but I have a few friends that are probably on suicide watch at this point.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Terpfen posted:

You're missing my point. I'm not saying that Nintendo likely won't bring DQ10 out here because they didn't want to bring Xenoblade, Pandora's Tower, or The Last Story out here. DQ10 is a lock for a US release. It's a foregone conclusion for the exact reasons you state.

The way I see it, they have two options.

1. They can ignore the elephant in the room. The relatively compliant gaming press, which never bothered to inquire about the status of the three Operation Rainfall games prior to the conception of Operation Rainfall, will allow Nintendo to get away with this option.

2. They can try to spin, probably by saying something like "Operation Rainfall got us thinking that maybe there's a market for these games, and we're glad to have Operation Rainfall supporters on board with the Wii U."

Regardless, I look forward to seeing how they pull this off. I realize that the core of people interested in DQ10 may not necessarily be the same core who were interested in Xenoblade et al, but Nintendo has some fence-mending ahead.

There simply aren't enough of the Rainfallers to force Nintendo to acknowledge them. Mind you, I wish they would in some way, since NOA's awful localization policies are one of a number of things doing harm to the company's brand with core gamers, but it won't happen.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Barry Convex posted:

There simply aren't enough of the Rainfallers to force Nintendo to acknowledge them. Mind you, I wish they would in some way, since NOA's awful localization policies are one of a number of things doing harm to the company's brand with core gamers, but it won't happen.

They made enough noise for Nintendo to issue a half-baked response so late in the day that those who cared, like IGN's Richard George, wouldn't be able to follow up in a timely manner. For such a "tiny percentage" (as Adam Bowen calls them) that's one hell of an evasive tactic, superficially equivalent to Friday evening news dumps in politics.

I would call that evidence that NoA is cognizant of a (potential) problem. They'll probably stick to option #1, ignoring the elephant in the room, while hoping that the Wii U hits the reset button on the entire topic.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Levantine posted:

Well that's bullshit. I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. If I were able to play this like I did IX then I would have been on board from day 1. Shoot, even with the random mooks I created I still had a blast and thought the story was pretty decent in IX. I find myself really bummed out about DQX.

Yeah, that's 'bout the size of it for me. Still, this is the excuse I need to finaly get started on the DS Advance Trilogy.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
What horrible depressing news. DQ10 had been the only game I was looking forward to for years. It's been so long since we had a good traditional RPG that I thought this game would make up for the drought. It may even renew interest in the genre. This news though is like hearing that they decided to cancel it. Actually... that news would be better since that would mean it would be sooner that we would get a real DQ made.

DQ is my favorite series and has been since the NES but I couldn't care less about MMORPGs and have no intention of playing a DQ MMORPG. I despise them for their timesink nature and I hate online multiplay in general because if I play a game with friends, I'd rather them be in the same room as me playing on the same TV.

Are MMORPGs really popular in Japan or something? Why is Square Enix trying to convert their series to MMORPG? Wasn't FF14 a massive bomb?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Are MMORPGs really popular in Japan or something?

MMORPGS are really popular throughout the world. That's just the reality of the new game market.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Why is Square Enix trying to convert their series to MMORPG?

"Square-Enix" isn't. Yuuji Horii is. This is basically the game that Dragon Quest IX was supposed to be. And we all loved DQ9.

I loathe MMOs with a passion, but given that a. you can have a team comprised entirely of AI members just like a standard DQ game, and b. there's still a story and likely a set progression, I'm not worried about the online aspect at all. I suspect this won't be the standard grind-grind-grind MMORPG game, though let's be fair, DQ still hasn't shed its rep for being grind-intensive.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Terpfen posted:

They made enough noise for Nintendo to issue a half-baked response so late in the day that those who cared, like IGN's Richard George, wouldn't be able to follow up in a timely manner. For such a "tiny percentage" (as Adam Bowen calls them) that's one hell of an evasive tactic, superficially equivalent to Friday evening news dumps in politics.

I would call that evidence that NoA is cognizant of a (potential) problem. They'll probably stick to option #1, ignoring the elephant in the room, while hoping that the Wii U hits the reset button on the entire topic.

Oh, there are undoubtedly people at NOA - perhaps quite a number of them, perhaps as far up as Reggie - who are fully cognizant of how terrible and short-sighted the localization policies they work under are. I just don't believe that they're in a position to do anything about them, hence why they issued a half-baked response rather than a substantive one.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Mister Roboto posted:

MMORPGS are really popular throughout the world. That's just the reality of the new game market.

As popular as ordinary traditional RPGs like DQ8? What I'm trying to get at is, can an online DQ be expected to do DQ8 numbers in Japan?

I can google for myself and see that the answer seems to be "no" by looking at the FF series. http://www.pvcmuseum.com/games/charts/sequel-sales-ps1-vs-ps2.htm

Final Fantasy X - 2,325,215
Final Fantasy X-2 - 1,960,937
Final Fantasy XI - 150,079

Was FFXI an abnormally disliked MMORPG? It doesn't look to very popular at all. Only 6% of the people that bought FFX bought FFXI.

Are people in Japan really overjoyed that DQX is going to be online? Or are 94% of DQ fans rioting outside of Square Enix's office right now?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

FF11 is primarily a PC game, that list only looks at the PS2 version which was incredibly gimped because Sony didn't have a real online infrastructure in 2004.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Also, FFXI was and still is huge in Japan to the best of my knowledge. And DQX isn't even that type of MMO, it's a Dragon Quest game with online co-op and some silly stuff about your character's house.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Are some of you just pretending not to have seen what Barry Convex posted about their FAQ saying there is no true single player, or what?

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

Saoshyant posted:

Also, FFXI was and still is huge in Japan to the best of my knowledge. And DQX isn't even that type of MMO, it's a Dragon Quest game with online co-op and some silly stuff about your character's house.

No dude. It is online. Whether that means a full MMO, or a Guild Wars style game with instanced fields isn't known, but it's not just DQ with online co-op. The game requires that you connect to the internet to even play the game beyond the tutorial. From there, yeah, you can just get some AI bros and go kick the poo poo out of golems and slimes, but it's not just DQIX for Wii. You better believe the quest structure, the way the story is told, and the structure of the game are heavily influenced by the fact that it is totally online.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Barry Convex posted:

Oh, there are undoubtedly people at NOA - perhaps quite a number of them, perhaps as far up as Reggie - who are fully cognizant of how terrible and short-sighted the localization policies they work under are. I just don't believe that they're in a position to do anything about them, hence why they issued a half-baked response rather than a substantive one.

If it goes "as far up as Reggie", then they are absolutely "in a position to do [something] about them."

IMO, the real problem is not the policy, it's the person setting the policy: Fils-Aime.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
Well you'd be in the virtual DQ world, but they did stress repeatedly that people can play in single mode (you can hire party members at Luida's Bar just like in IX), and that there will be a story to follow.
I envision more DQIX that's always online as opposed to say FFXI where you have to have other players to advance the story.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Terpfen posted:

If it goes "as far up as Reggie", then they are absolutely "in a position to do [something] about them."

IMO, the real problem is not the policy, it's the person setting the policy: Fils-Aime.

Reggie was apparently the one who apparently pushed for BKO to be released on GC as a swan song for the platform. I don't buy that he hates RPGs or Western gamers in general.

I think you vastly overestimate NOA's autonomy. If NCL has informed NOA that due to current exchange rates, any losses on localizations not mandated by NCL will not be tolerated - which I strongly suspect is the case - there's nothing even Reggie can do about that. NCL may not be directly responsible for most of NOA's non-localization decisions, but the overall policy in question is more likely than not theirs.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 5, 2011

VG-Robot
Aug 2, 2006

Ask me about fucking the Medievalists and being sooo angry.
Just to echo a lot of sentiments from other people here...

Well, to be honest, I am okay with it being an MMO. If done correctly, it could turn out really well. I trust the DQ folks to not balls it up like White Knight Chronicles--though I could be wrong. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, basically.

However, my biggest problem is that (at least for me) the Wii is a dead system. It is more than dead, because the hardware is two console generations old at this point. I barely play the bloody thing, and trying to do anything online with it is a complete pain.

I LOVE Dragon Quest.

I can appreciate the benefits, and may even enjoy that it will be an online focused (or online only) game.

I do NOT want to play it on a Wii--and I flat-out do not want a Wii-U. Maybe Nintendo will change my mind; but fat chance of that happening. I am REALLY bothered by this decision, and this may be the first main-series DQ game I do not buy immediately. I may not even buy it at all, to be honest. I have a Wii, but I barely use it.

If DQX was on the PS3 with some modern graphics I would be overjoyed, and pre-ordering the gently caress out of it.

If DQX was on the DS, I would be disappointed but still happy to play it.

Putting DQX on a Wii is a mistake, at least for this region. I am sure it will do okay in Japan; but making it online focused for a console is kind of a mistake for that region as well. Overall this is kind of lovely news. Even if I buy it and enjoy it, I will be really bothered that I have to play it on my bloody Wii.

Maybe they could release this as a PSN title. That would be great. I doubt it will happen, judging from the past of the Dragon Quest series. Still--a much better decision than putting it on the Wii.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

thetrin posted:

No dude. It is online. Whether that means a full MMO, or a Guild Wars style game with instanced fields isn't known, but it's not just DQ with online co-op. The game requires that you connect to the internet to even play the game beyond the tutorial. From there, yeah, you can just get some AI bros and go kick the poo poo out of golems and slimes, but it's not just DQIX for Wii. You better believe the quest structure, the way the story is told, and the structure of the game are heavily influenced by the fact that it is totally online.

Man, Metal hunting is gonna suuuuuuuck.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

thetrin posted:

I guess the closest comparison then really is Guild Wars; it's not like the Wii would be able to pull an entire MMO with hundreds of people online. Shame it's just not a better DQIX, though. That was indeed the impression I got from the conferece.

vvvvv that's what we all assumed it was, but guess it turned out different.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 5, 2011

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I would have gone for another game using the IX structure with Nintendo WiFi replacing local multiplayer.

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

Barry Convex posted:

This is still pretty much the same way Monster Hunter Tri is set up. I wouldn't be surprised if this is exactly what Nintendo/SQEnix used as their development plan for the game.

Structure of Monster Hunter Tri:

Offline Mode: All "low-rank" monsters in a small village. This entire portion takes most players 20-30 hours to clear, but could take much longer if they really grind out every aspect of it. You're given an AI companion, and has a conclusion at the end.

Online Mode: Features even more content than offline (including "high rank monsters.) You're in a city, and the focus is just going on different quests. In Japan, this was pay to play. It was over a year before they released a sequel, allowing them to get almost a year of subscriptions from people that wanted to play the latest thing.

It's a weird system, but it works out pretty well. I have confidence that SQEnix will make the Online Mode more interesting storywise than the Offline mode. As for grinding XP/Gold, it's not like the games have been very forgiving in the past. The game is already half/MMO if you went through revocation in DQIX.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
So maybe the single player content is, well, the campaign/main story, and the online content is the POST-GAME thing, which is larger than the main game just like in DQIX? If that ends up being the case, hell yeah.

Somewhat Nachos
Oct 18, 2004

#wifematerial
^^^ That would be ideal, but even if that's not the case and you're required to be online for most of the main story I wont care as long as it can be completed without having to rely on other people. After that, I don't care. There will necessarily be some content that can only be completed with others (otherwise what's the point of an MMO?), and I'm okay with that cause that can be tons of fun. I played DQIX for hundreds of hours, the majority of which was after the final boss. If that was online and I had other people to do quests with or whatever then I probably would have had even more fun than I did. That's the kind of experience I'm hoping for. I think I'm just bitter after FFXI where you're basically required to team up with people to get anything done, even story quests.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

I guess the closest comparison then really is Guild Wars; it's not like the Wii would be able to pull an entire MMO with hundreds of people online. Shame it's just not a better DQIX, though. That was indeed the impression I got from the conferece.

vvvvv that's what we all assumed it was, but guess it turned out different.

That's probably a fair assumption, and I hope there's no monthly to follow suit with the game type.

FinalTitan posted:

^^^ That would be ideal, but even if that's not the case and you're required to be online for most of the main story I wont care as long as it can be completed without having to rely on other people. After that, I don't care. There will necessarily be some content that can only be completed with others (otherwise what's the point of an MMO?), and I'm okay with that cause that can be tons of fun. I played DQIX for hundreds of hours, the majority of which was after the final boss. If that was online and I had other people to do quests with or whatever then I probably would have had even more fun than I did. That's the kind of experience I'm hoping for. I think I'm just bitter after FFXI where you're basically required to team up with people to get anything done, even story quests.

They did say that you can get AI partners, but you don't control them

thetrin fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 5, 2011

Somewhat Nachos
Oct 18, 2004

#wifematerial
Oh right... well, that's good. I guess I'm pretty excited then as long as they don't mess anything up significantly by developing in house. Level 5 will be a hard act to follow I think.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
My feelings about DQ10 are really mixed.

On one hand (And perhaps the most important hand), it's a Dragon Quest game, and it looks gorgeous. There isn't much else to say, I'll buy it day one and play the hell out of it.

On the other hand, it's really upsetting to see it go the MMO route. Or maybe it's just upsetting to see a numbered DQ game do it. If this was a spinoff title as an MMO, and DQ10 was still an epic single player journey, maybe I'd have a totally different outlook. I'm just not the biggest MMO fan around.

I'm excited to see all the details about the different races, and all the areas in the game to explore.
I'll totally play online when it comes out, and probably end up enjoying myself immensely.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
9 was worse than 8 due to the lack of actual characters, and 10 being an MMO is just horrible. I want another like 8!

thetrin
May 4, 2009

FinalTitan posted:

Oh right... well, that's good. I guess I'm pretty excited then as long as they don't mess anything up significantly by developing in house. Level 5 will be a hard act to follow I think.

I really think Arte Piazza doesn't get enough credit for their work on DQ. But yes, you're right. L5 will be a hard act to follow.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Barry Convex posted:

Reggie was apparently the one who apparently pushed for BKO to be released on GC as a swan song for the platform. I don't buy that he hates RPGs or Western gamers in general.

If he doesn't hate RPGs (or, for the sake of argument, "niche" games in general), he's certainly done a good job of cultivating an image to the contrary, beginning with but nowhere near limited to the Mother 3 debacle. No Another Code R, no Fatal Frame 4, no Disaster: Day of Crisis, no EarthBound on VC, no Mother 1+2… I'm just scratching the surface. And Nintendo has curiously declined to expand their Dragon Quest publishing tactic of bringing out games that other publishers might decline, such as Ace Attorney Investigations 2.

quote:

I think you vastly overestimate NOA's autonomy. If NCL has informed NOA that due to current exchange rates, any losses on localizations not mandated by NCL will not be tolerated - which I strongly suspect is the case - there's nothing even Reggie can do about that. NCL may not be directly responsible for most of NOA's non-localization decisions, but the overall policy in question is more likely than not theirs.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that NoA generally decides for itself which games to release and which to skip, Dragon Quest aside.

As for the currency exchange rates, what happened to all that money Nintendo supposedly spent years printing? It didn't just disappear. Granted, they aren't sitting on $80 billion like Apple, but they can throw a couple of zeroes at fluctuating exchange rates.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Luisfe posted:

So maybe the single player content is, well, the campaign/main story, and the online content is the POST-GAME thing, which is larger than the main game just like in DQIX? If that ends up being the case, hell yeah.

This would actually be pretty cool if that's the case - White Knight Chronicles sort of worked that way too and it ended up pretty decent. I can only imagine DQ improving on the formula.

If you're right that is. (I hope you're right)

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Levantine posted:

This would actually be pretty cool if that's the case - White Knight Chronicles sort of worked that way too and it ended up pretty decent. I can only imagine DQ improving on the formula.

If you're right that is. (I hope you're right)

I'm going to go ahead and say he's not, but that's just me.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
It is really way too early to tell what is going on. The whole "must be online" thing may be limited to quests that S-E intends to release over time. Sort of like the downloadable quests in DQIX, but the weekly quests would actually be related to the bigger plot. So think of an MMO with a legitimately advancing plot line, and above all, an "end".

OBVIOUSLY this is speculative. Just posing an idea to illustrate that the information we have means a helluva lot of gently caress all, especially since some/all of it could possibly change before release, given Horii's habits. Case in point, I suspect there will be SOME backlash on the "AI party members" thing, as there are probably a lot of people out there who just like DQ for being a turn based RPG. If the backlash is strong enough, we might, if nothing else, get control over 'recruits'. But again, speculation.

Based on what we do know? A DQIX style class system in a DQVIII style world to explore? :gizz: Really, I am just doing my best to take a step back and see where this train goes, because literally the two best things this series has given me personally are on track to being in the same game. I'm willing to at least give this a chance, if I don't pre-order right this minute.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

No, he's definitely not right.

Wendell posted:

Are some of you just pretending not to have seen what Barry Convex posted about their FAQ saying there is no true single player, or what?

Edit:

Policenaut posted:

FF11 is primarily a PC game, that list only looks at the PS2 version which was incredibly gimped because Sony didn't have a real online infrastructure in 2004.

So what were the sales of FF11 for PC compared to a typical FF like FFX?

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 6, 2011

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Kiggles posted:

It is really way too early to tell what is going on. The whole "must be online" thing may be limited to quests that S-E intends to release over time. Sort of like the downloadable quests in DQIX, but the weekly quests would actually be related to the bigger plot. So think of an MMO with a legitimately advancing plot line, and above all, an "end".

OBVIOUSLY this is speculative. Just posing an idea to illustrate that the information we have means a helluva lot of gently caress all, especially since some/all of it could possibly change before release, given Horii's habits. Case in point, I suspect there will be SOME backlash on the "AI party members" thing, as there are probably a lot of people out there who just like DQ for being a turn based RPG. If the backlash is strong enough, we might, if nothing else, get control over 'recruits'. But again, speculation.

Based on what we do know? A DQIX style class system in a DQVIII style world to explore? :gizz: Really, I am just doing my best to take a step back and see where this train goes, because literally the two best things this series has given me personally are on track to being in the same game. I'm willing to at least give this a chance, if I don't pre-order right this minute.

I think it was pretty obvious that the game is meant to be a Guild Wars/MH/PSO style game. Even if you strip out multiplayer, you're still just one person with a bunch of AI partners you can't control. Might as well play with competent players at that point.

Keep in mind that I'm quite excited for this game. I'm not being pessimistic. All I'm saying is that those who are expecting some sweeping single player epic storyline should temper their expectations accordingly.

Also, keep in mind that DQ9 was an ARPG when it was first announced. Who knows where this game will go once DQ fans on 2ch start bitching loud enough.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/09/06/dragon_quest_x_famicom/

There's also an NES version of DQX coming out :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Terpfen posted:

If he doesn't hate RPGs (or, for the sake of argument, "niche" games in general), he's certainly done a good job of cultivating an image to the contrary, beginning with but nowhere near limited to the Mother 3 debacle. No Another Code R, no Fatal Frame 4, no Disaster: Day of Crisis, no EarthBound on VC, no Mother 1+2… I'm just scratching the surface. And Nintendo has curiously declined to expand their Dragon Quest publishing tactic of bringing out games that other publishers might decline, such as Ace Attorney Investigations 2.

Are you picturing Reggie sitting in an EVIL tower twirling his mustache and laughing maniacally as he prevents another RPG from being published, or what? As much as I hate this justification sometimes, it's a business and business don't generally set out to lose money. None of those games would have sold well over here, especially not on the Wii, and anyone who knows anything at all about the games industry knows that. Operation Rainfall (I feel lame just typing that, loving nerds) had what, 10k signatures or so? That's significantly less than 1/10th of 1% of total Wii owners. You seem to be casting it as this gigantic uprising of unhappy Nintendo customers when it was clearly an extremely loud minority.