Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Quick question on painting bases: is it better to have a light colour for a dark-coloured mini? My problem with that is that the blasted ash-wastes of the Dark Lands don't sound very light-coloured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Not a viking posted:

Quick question on painting bases: is it better to have a light colour for a dark-coloured mini? My problem with that is that the blasted ash-wastes of the Dark Lands don't sound very light-coloured.

For what it's worth, most factions have a pretty good excuse for fighting just about anywhere. My Space Wolves aren't sitting around on Fenris, they're on campaign on a desert world.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Lincoln thats not tooth thats skunky primer. Proper tooth is basically not visible to the eye and is really omly noticeable when you paint on it.

Primer skunk is because of poor weather/incorrect paint "stirring"/god hates you

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

MasterSlowPoke posted:

What did you use for those cobblestones?

I found some miniature coal in my toolbox. I poured out a small pile and used ones of a similar height and size glued down with pva. Then I filled across the top so it was an even surface. I used a rough metal file so the stones got a nice used, rough texture.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Not a viking posted:

I try to keep it simple. If the majority of the scheme is a warm color like an Imperial Fist yellow marine, I do a cool color for the base like a standard grey. If the model is dark, do a brown base to add color.

Really all my bases are either brown or grey.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Matte medium is amazing, my paint on the pallet takes so long to dry out on me now :swoon:

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

PaintVagrant posted:

Lincoln thats not tooth thats skunky primer. Proper tooth is basically not visible to the eye and is really omly noticeable when you paint on it.

Primer skunk is because of poor weather/incorrect paint "stirring"/god hates you

You're not the first person to tell me it's weather-related. I live in a very hot, dry area, and this summer's been especially bad. Apparently, the primer is drying between the time it leaves the nozzle and hits the model. Ugh. Still, the Testors was very noticeably better. I hope the airbrush does even better. Otherwise, I'll have to limit my model-building to 6 months out of the year.

I wish somebody would invent a thin "dip" that would gently etch the surface of the plastic. No missed spots, no covered-up details...

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Not a viking posted:

Ashes are/can be very white and chalky in color. :science:

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Lincoln posted:

You're not the first person to tell me it's weather-related. I live in a very hot, dry area, and this summer's been especially bad. Apparently, the primer is drying between the time it leaves the nozzle and hits the model. Ugh. Still, the Testors was very noticeably better. I hope the airbrush does even better. Otherwise, I'll have to limit my model-building to 6 months out of the year.

I wish somebody would invent a thin "dip" that would gently etch the surface of the plastic. No missed spots, no covered-up details...

Use brush on primer if the spray kind is giving you a headache.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Finished the captain. He's a little sloppy because I'm trying several things that I haven't done before and I did a bit of a marathon after he sat in my cabinet unpainted for years.

Here he is unpainted:

Note: this is my second attempt at "sculpting," I wanted to give him a range of motion. The cloak was billowing in the wrong direction in the original and I couldn't figure out a way to attach the Melta without a strap. In retrospect I wish I had made the strap narrower.

Here he is finished:

Well, finished is strong, I plan on touching him up a bit. In terms of gaming he's a captain of an armored company with a relic blade and storm shield, meltabomb, and a bolt pistol. His chapter doesn't release names of the soldiers (the fluff is that they believe that the pursuit of fame undermines service) but he has "Hubris" on his shoulderpad in Russian. This is a criticism of his flamboyant nature in combat. The icon on his shield is the company heraldry.

(this is a cross post)

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
That's some really neat work. I'm not sure how I feel about the heavy black lines, but when I look at it next to what I can see of the rest of your force, it does seem to fit in very well, and stand out at that. I do think the strap should be a little smaller, but I like the plastic piece on the sword. Not so sure about how you painted it, though - something doesn't seem to mesh, but I can't make any suggestions that would be better. Overall a really unique piece and neat!

Also my batch of supplies should be here in a few days, so you all will have to deal with Babby's First Ghouls soon enough!

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Actually, I was thinking I could have the base dark grey but then add snow to most of it would that work on these?

I've never made snow bases, but I'll have a look at the OP and see what I can do with the material I have at hand (not much).

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I may redo the blade. again (4th time). Either I do the spatter big and it looks overdone, small and it looks like a mistake or don't and it looks like he wiffed.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Sep 6, 2011

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Fix posted:

That might be overselling it a wee bit. Centuries of painters, and soforth. A man who discovered it, maybe.

Don't be pedantic, you know that I meant "in the context of miniature painting". I remember following the old mini-painter egroup back when he was developing the drat technique, and the best painters in the scene applauded him for his findings because everyone was still painting fire backwards.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

He discovered how to make a fire elemental look like a maple leaf. He doesn't get the contrast of fire right, or the fact that, given that we work with matte paints instead of luminescent ones, you have to dial down the tones on the rest of the mini like you're planning bounce lighting to make fire look convincing.

Otherwise is great epiphany is that the white part is at the bottom.

The elemental in the article is a bad example, but if you'd take five minutes to look in the other galleries, you'd see that he's done other, better things with the technique.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My biggest problem with the litebright eyes people use is that the eyes are casting light on surfaces that have no line of sight to the source. It looks dumb to me because the light wouldn't naturally occur there.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
So, I got some Dettol yesterday, and am eagerly anticipating the delivery of some more stuff for painting exploits - a desk, so as not to drip paint on rented furniture, and my needle files - from home. Here's the last mini I started painting before I gave up, prior to his Dettol immersion; and the first mini I will paint in my return to the hobby. Featuring Chaos Black spray paint, and Flesh Wash face. Yeah. And mould lines.

I'm going out to grab some grey primer later this afternoon, and I hope to do some painting one afternoon this week.

:ohdear:

Does anyone know where I might be able to obtain Masters brush soap in the UK? I wanna make sure my stuff stays in good nick.

Wish me luck.

Mr_Happy_Pants
Jan 21, 2006
Xpostin' like a mofo:

Started work on Rasheth:

My spray varnish CLAIMS to be matte, but as you can see, this is all LIES.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Any UK peeps know where I can get some of those fancy daylight bulbs?

Winter's coming.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Picture of my first Imperial Guard.

Still a work in progress.

(The stuff between the arms and the torso is adhesive sticky thing)

Boar It fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 6, 2011

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Torabi posted:

You can seriously just slap a layer of Devlan Mud on that and you have officially painted better than 80% of the internet. Clear, clean colors, good coverage--just great.

Why couldn't I have started like this. So many years... :negative:

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 6, 2011

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Torabi posted:

That is seriously clean, I really like it mate, I'm working through my Guard at the moment and it's nowhere near that orderly.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Thanks! :buddy:

The only thing I just realized is that the fatigues are more brown than beige now. I should have gone easier on the Ogryn Flesh wash. It still looks good but I wanted it to be beige.
I guess that slapping another layer of khemri brown would ruin the model.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Paint another layer, but don't paint recesses, creases, or other areas that would naturally look darker. Same goes for anything else you washed, for that matter. Next time just go easy on the wash if you want that khaki look though- you want to do as little work as possible when you have a bunch of guardsmen.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Torabi posted:

(The stuff between the arms and the torso is adhesive sticky thing)

Word of advice, use double sided tape instead of white tac to hold your mini to the paint pot. You can thank me later. Other than that it is a very good looking imperial guard.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

sassassin posted:

Winter's coming.

Ebay is always good, either that or Hobbycraft.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

Word of advice, use double sided tape instead of white tac to hold your mini to the paint pot. You can thank me later. Other than that it is a very good looking imperial guard.

What's the big difference?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Fyrbrand posted:

Paint another layer, but don't paint recesses, creases, or other areas that would naturally look darker. Same goes for anything else you washed, for that matter. Next time just go easy on the wash if you want that khaki look though- you want to do as little work as possible when you have a bunch of guardsmen.

Thanks. I'll try that.

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

Paint pot? It is a bottle-cap.

Mr_Happy_Pants
Jan 21, 2006

Mr_Happy_Pants posted:

Xpostin' like a mofo:

Started work on Rasheth:

My spray varnish CLAIMS to be matte, but as you can see, this is all LIES.

Got some properly matte varnish this time:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Silhouette posted:

Don't be pedantic, you know that I meant "in the context of miniature painting". I remember following the old mini-painter egroup back when he was developing the drat technique, and the best painters in the scene applauded him for his findings because everyone was still painting fire backwards.

Seriously all that does is reflect poorly on the top painters back in your old e-group, because it's not like fire goes backward now.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Mr_Happy_Pants posted:

Got some properly matte varnish this time:

I love the overall paint job but what really catches my eye is how nice your base is! I love the paint job on the floor, you've gotta give up how you did that sometime!

And onto rubbish - I tried heavier and more layers of drybrushing on this set to see if it made them look more interesting. C&C?

Also tried wood, both whole trunks and random bits. Think the colours turned out ok but I don't know if it's 'enough' for miniatures.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Lethemonster posted:

Also tried wood, both whole trunks and random bits. Think the colours turned out ok but I don't know if it's 'enough' for miniatures.

I'm really not sure how much more you need/want. I mean, they're 28mm miniatures. I suppose if you're making them all one-offs to be master-painted beauties for display you could slave over them to add additional detail, but from table-level that's beyond standard tabletop quality. If you plan on making 60-120 of these for standard models for gaming, worrying that much over your bases will drive you to the depths of madness (or at the very least have you sitting at a table for weeks working on them). I likes em as-is. The textured materials could probably have slightly higher definition with an application of wash, but otherwise it's all just a matter of your own personal satisfaction.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Anyone who does less than this person to achieve a nice flames effect should be ashamed of themselves:

http://whfm.blogspot.com/2010_04_10_archive.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Anyone who does less than this person to achieve a nice flames effect should be ashamed of themselves:

http://whfm.blogspot.com/2010_04_10_archive.html

Holy cow. Those things actually glow.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah because the dude used LEDs and fiber optics inside the models. Still looks cool but that's not an effect derived only from painting.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm a fan of people who paint fire correctly on one part of their model and then the wrong way on another part.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

PierreTheMime posted:

I'm really not sure how much more you need/want. I mean, they're 28mm miniatures. I suppose if you're making them all one-offs to be master-painted beauties for display you could slave over them to add additional detail, but from table-level that's beyond standard tabletop quality. If you plan on making 60-120 of these for standard models for gaming, worrying that much over your bases will drive you to the depths of madness (or at the very least have you sitting at a table for weeks working on them). I likes em as-is. The textured materials could probably have slightly higher definition with an application of wash, but otherwise it's all just a matter of your own personal satisfaction.

Ah that's what I meant - it always seems to me that highlights and drybrushing are done to stand out more than I always think they would if things weren't... tiny. I'll try another wash see if it gives it more woody pizzaz.

And I will be doing this for every model because it's so much fun... and all my friends models... and then I will make even more bases and send them to strangers. I don't actually play the game I just like painting stuff and making tiny pretend trees :downs:

Lethemonster fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 6, 2011

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

sassassin posted:

Winter's coming.

My wife bought my daylight lamp from maplin, so it might be worth checking there too.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Lethemonster posted:

Ah that's what I meant - it always seems to me that highlights and drybrushing are done to stand out more than I always think they would if things weren't... tiny. I'll try another wash see if it gives it more woody pizzaz.

And I will be doing this for every model because it's so much fun... and all my friends models... and then I will make even more bases and send them to strangers. I don't actually play the game I just like painting stuff and making tiny pretend trees :downs:

Try giving the stone a green wash where water would pool or flow, and areas that would be generally damp like overhangs and the like. It gives the impression of mold/moss. Also maybe try mixing up your flock a bit with some different color/texture or little bits of ground cover here and there.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

So I need some advice on painting a miniature that isn't Warhammer and I'd really appreciate any help I can get. I've been reading a lot of links in the OP (some of them are dead, but most are awesome) but I thought I'd make a post, too.

http://imgur.com/a/OdXRy#mAPcI

This is a WIP model made with sculpey. It's about 4 inches tall. When it's done, it'll be baked and I'll be painting it (along with a few similar ones). I painted Warhammer miniatures before, two years ago, but I wasn't very good. I'll be practicing a lot before I even tackle this, but what techniques are essential to have down before I even start, so I know what to learn and focus on specifically? I'm pretty nervous about making these look great despite having little experience but I'll be practicing as soon as I order some paints. Would the Warhammer paint sets be good for this (clay) or should I be looking at a different brand? Are Warhammer acrylic sets pretty much the same as artist acrylic sets or is there a difference because the warhammer sets are specifically for miniatures? I know very little about any of this, obviously. :)

Star Guarded fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Not a viking posted:

Actually, I was thinking I could have the base dark grey but then add snow to most of it would that work on these?

I've never made snow bases, but I'll have a look at the OP and see what I can do with the material I have at hand (not much).

The best way to do really simple and good looking snow is like this:

-Basecoat the base in something blue/white like spacewolf grey.
-Apply a very thin coat of water effects gel (or if you're poor/crazy elmers school gel)
-Now dunk the base in some baking soda and shake off the excess, the baking soda should absorb the gel and become a darkened grey color
-Now either continue the above step until the soda ceases to be that color after shaking or apply a thin layer of modeling snow.

I've used both water effects gel and elmers for this process and there is an upside to both. The upside to gel is that its slow drying so you can correct mistakes, it dries in a VERY thin layer so it doesn't puff up your base and its less prone to "strange accidents" than the gel. The gel on the other hand is better at creating the illusion of deep snow due to its naturally blue shade, is less watery so it requires less coats of baking soda and/or modeling snow and dries much quicker. Its downside is that very rarely it does strange things like peel and its very very very sticky and its therefor harder to correct your mistakes with it.

Ideally you'll produce bases like these (these are some models that I was experimenting with this base technique on):
Too much model snow:
http://imgur.com/DaatL
this one doesn't have enough:
http://imgur.com/mfk1L
This one has a light white drybrush on it:
http://imgur.com/7j0ie
And this is one where I tried basing the model with a standard brown dirt style, then applying a wite drybrush and finally the basing technique above to it:
http://imgur.com/VCdE2

Unfortunately my camera is broken, because I have a bunch of marauders who are based this way and look way better than those elves do. If you are going for little tufts of snow on bases you can accomplish that with just baking soda and elmers. If you apply more soda to the middle of the tufts than the outside it will create the look of melting snow nicely, if you want to have little chunks of ice you can use rock salt of all things to make little ice crystals in your snow piles.

This is by someone who is much better at this than I am, but the water effects gel is what makes it look so good:
http://www.coolminiornot.com/278844?browseid=107276

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 7, 2011

• Locked thread