Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veetard
Mar 30, 2007

Ishamael posted:

Hello travel goons! My wife and I are about to take a big trip to Italy and I was hoping to get some insight into a few areas from those of you who have done it before. I have a lot of questions, hope you don't mind!

First, a quick overview of our trip: Our trip will be about 6 weeks total. We are staying and working on 2 farms in Italy - one in Tuscany, one in Sicily. We will be at each farm for 2 weeks. We have given ourselves days between the farms to travel to Florence, Rome, and Venice for a couple days each. We will also see Milano for about a day and a half (when we fly in and when we leave).

Everything is set with the farms we are staying with, but now we are trying to arrange our in-between times to make the most of it. So, some questions!

-We have one big trip, from Rome to Palermo, where we are unsure the best way to go. Our options are a flight, the ferry, or a sleeper train. The flight is cheap and relatively fast, but not particularly interesting. The ferry and train are more interesting but cost more and use more time. The sleeper train also prevents us from having to rent a room that night, though, so the cost is less onerous. Have any of you used the ferry or sleeper train to Sicily?

-Has anyone used a sleeper train at all? How was it?

-Between Florence, Rome, and Venice, if you had 8 days, how would you spend your time - which place is coolest? From what I have read of the thread, I have seen a lot of Rome love, but I thought I would check.

-Any recommendations for hotels, pensiones or hostels in Milan, Rome, or any of the other cities? My wife says we are too old to stay in the group rooms and wants a private room if we do a hostel, I am not sure how set she is on that.

-When a hotel in Italy says that breakfast is included, what does that mean for them? I know what to expect from a hotel here, not as much there.

-Any good restaurant recommendations in Milan, Rome, Florence, or Venice? We will be eating at a few fancy places I am sure, but most of the time we are going to be looking for quality cheap eats where we can get some real Italian fare.

-Rail pass questions:

-Generally, I don't get how the rail pass thing works. If I buy a Eurail Italy pass, does that cover the smaller regional trains AND the high-speed trains?

-Do I then have to pay extra for a reservation on a train? I can't tell if a Eurail pass includes the cost of reserving a spot on the train or if I then have to pay extra to get a specific train. Not sure if I am making sense here.

-If I have a Eurail pass, does that cover a sleeper car as well, or is there an additional cost? Or is there like a "base" level sleeper that is covered by Eurail and then I would pay for upgrades?

I know that's a lot of questions, but I hope I am making sense. I am incredibly excited for this, we have been planning this trip for years now. Thanks for your help!

I don't have a lot of experience with Italy, but the breakfast was coffee/tea/juice, a pastry/roll with jam, and I think cereal.

Eurail passes cover the ticket price on your travel day and that's it. You have to pay extra for reservations and for a sleeper, which was about 25 euro when I was there. It should cover regional trains, but only if it's one of your travel days. When you get your pass, it will have a little time table with slots for however many "travel days" it comes with where you write the dates you'll be using your pass.

I know I thought it was pretty lame to have to pay extra for...well, everything, but train tickets can get really expensive if you don't have a pass, especially in those touristy areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Ishamael posted:

-Has anyone used a sleeper train at all? How was it?
I used an Italian Railway sleeper train between Munich and Rome a few years ago. It was pretty poo poo and I wouldn't do it again.

quote:

-Between Florence, Rome, and Venice, if you had 8 days, how would you spend your time - which place is coolest? From what I have read of the thread, I have seen a lot of Rome love, but I thought I would check.
Rome: 6 days
Florence: 2 days
Venice: skip (it's out of the way for your itinerary and even fuller of tourists than Florence and Rome)

quote:

-Any recommendations for hotels, pensiones or hostels in Milan, Rome, or any of the other cities? My wife says we are too old to stay in the group rooms and wants a private room if we do a hostel, I am not sure how set she is on that.
Don't know your budget but in Milan I like the Crowne Plaza Milan Centre. Location is good (right next to a subway stop) and I like the interior design quite a bit. Should be something like USD100-150/night. Can't help you with the others, sorry.

quote:

-When a hotel in Italy says that breakfast is included, what does that mean for them? I know what to expect from a hotel here, not as much there.
Depends on the quality standard of the hotel. Could be anything from coffee and small pastry rolls (i.e. typical Italian breakfast of espresso and croissant) to a full buffet.

quote:

-Any good restaurant recommendations in Milan, Rome, Florence, or Venice? We will be eating at a few fancy places I am sure, but most of the time we are going to be looking for quality cheap eats where we can get some real Italian fare.
What I usually do is ask the hotel/hostel staff for recommendations, i.e. where would they eat? Emphasize "not too expensive" and "no tourists" and you should find something decent.

quote:

-Rail pass questions:
As train travel is comparatively cheap in Italy make sure that the Rail Pass actually is a good deal compared to buying individual tickets (in most cases it isn't).

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Thanks for the information guys! It's always nice to have some inside info into places I haven't been.

Snakes88
Oct 16, 2010

Cometa Rossa posted:

I was in the Czech Republic, Hungary, Ukraine, Serbia, Bosnia & Herzegovina and Croatia for two months this summer - if anyone has any questions about those countries I'd be more than happy to answer them.

Please tell us about the girls!!! Are they all super hot? Do they speak English? Are they friendly? What do they think of American guys?

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

When we have more time, I'll acquaint you with the various processes of sculptoring. It's a fascinating art to which I devoted many hours of study.

Snakes88 posted:

What do they think of American guys?

They love them and will strip naked and throw themselves on the floor at once. Keep this in your mind and go to Eastern Europe instantly. You are the most interesting thing they've ever seen.

Found Your Answer
Jul 9, 2004

That's like killing a unicorn!

Fiskenbob posted:

They love them and will strip naked and throw themselves on the floor at once. Keep this in your mind and go to Eastern Europe instantly. You are the most interesting thing they've ever seen.

Assuming that you aren't being sarcastic-- why is this?

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

windwaker posted:

Assuming that you aren't being sarcastic-- why is this?

Eastern european girls will gently caress you and then get super clingy since they want to go to the EU/US/Canada and have a better life

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Landsknecht posted:

Eastern european girls will gently caress you and then get super clingy since they want to go to the EU/US/Canada and have a better life

Supposing this fantasy is true, I must remind everyone that the only remaining non-EU Eastern European states are as follows: Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, Moldova, Serbia, Montenegro, Macedonia, Albania, B-H, Kosovo. Better hurry up bruv!

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

When we have more time, I'll acquaint you with the various processes of sculptoring. It's a fascinating art to which I devoted many hours of study.
I was being sarcastic. Sure, they might find you interesting, but don't go traveling through Eastern European countries (especially the EU ones) with your cock hanging out, expecting every girl to stop what they're doing to suck your dick. That might have been the case in the nineties, when you could travel all the way from Berlin to Moscow for a pack of Marlboros, but things have changed, even though many Americans seem to cling to the fantasy.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Fiskenbob posted:

I was being sarcastic. Sure, they might find you interesting, but don't go traveling through Eastern European countries (especially the EU ones) with your cock hanging out, expecting every girl to stop what they're doing to suck your dick. That might have been the case in the nineties, when you could travel all the way from Berlin to Moscow for a pack of Marlboros, but things have changed, even though many Americans seem to cling to the fantasy.

I don't think any of the eastern euros I've met have ever found americans really more interesting than lots of western euros. There's usually some surprise when you talk about financial matters (ie: holy poo poo you guys have that much money?!?!?!) but not much about anything else. Also, a lot of western euros find north americans (especially americans from the south/midwest) interesting in the sense of "what the gently caress what's with the massive cars/guns/lovely food/being fat?" but there's really not a lot of difference anymore between North west Europe and Canada/the US.

Fiskenbob
Mar 28, 2007

Oh, don't get me wrong. Being from Western Europe myself, I know what you mean. What I was trying to articulate was that they might find an American (or any foreigner) more interesting than the local dudes they usually talk to, but only in the sense that you're a foreigner, and most people find foreigners somewhat interesting to talk to.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Fiskenbob posted:

Oh, don't get me wrong. Being from Western Europe myself, I know what you mean. What I was trying to articulate was that they might find an American (or any foreigner) more interesting than the local dudes they usually talk to, but only in the sense that you're a foreigner, and most people find foreigners somewhat interesting to talk to.

Knowing a lot of eastern euro guys this is 100% true, a lot of what they talk about is just going to clubs/getting wasted/football (which isn't much better than west euros, come to think of it), so a foreigner who has traveled around from somewhere else is fairly interesting to the girls.

TBH though it's usually pretty hard to have anything more significant than chitchat with the locals if you're only in a place for <5 days, some locals really take to talking with people but the majority don't really. Europeans just seem to appreciate being left alone a hell of a lot more than americans (especially in scandinavia), and it's pretty common to get a "WTF are you doing" look if you start to talk to someone when you don't have a question to ask/something important to talk about.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Landsknecht posted:

Europeans just seem to appreciate being left alone a hell of a lot more than americans (especially in scandinavia), and it's pretty common to get a "WTF are you doing" look if you start to talk to someone when you don't have a question to ask/something important to talk about.

I'm gonna let you in on a secret: we just don't want to talk to Americans. It's all an act.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick

Snakes88 posted:

Please tell us about the girls!!! Are they all super hot? Do they speak English? Are they friendly? What do they think of American guys?

I will vouch that, on average, the girls are super hot in pretty much all of those countries. As long as you're in big cities many people (younger ones especially) speak at least a basic, conversational level of English.

I have a girlfriend and thus didn't go girl-chasing, and I've heard everything about Eastern European girls' attitudes towards North American dudes - ranging from instant pantie-dropping to complete indifference. A guy I met in Croatia said that the fall of the Eastern Bloc has instilled a new set of values in the younger generation, and money means everything. As long as you were rich, he said, you could pick up any girl in a bar, but being a poor backpacker like I was would just get me laughed at.

Also, Croatian women are tall. Very, very tall.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Cometa Rossa posted:

I will vouch that, on average, the girls are super hot in pretty much all of those countries. As long as you're in big cities many people (younger ones especially) speak at least a basic, conversational level of English.

I have a girlfriend and thus didn't go girl-chasing, and I've heard everything about Eastern European girls' attitudes towards North American dudes - ranging from instant pantie-dropping to complete indifference. A guy I met in Croatia said that the fall of the Eastern Bloc has instilled a new set of values in the younger generation, and money means everything. As long as you were rich, he said, you could pick up any girl in a bar, but being a poor backpacker like I was would just get me laughed at.

This is obviously a gross simplification. I'm a Croat, I have a lot of female friends and acquaintances and I will vouch that you couldn't pick up any of them in the bar by splashing your money around. You could if you were handsome, charming and splashing money but then you don't need the money anyway. But I hang mostly with students and go to "alternative" bars and clubs.

If somebody wants to buy his way into bras, I would advise against Croatia. We're a tourist country and an American on our coast in summer is as rare as a seagull. Instead go to Ukraine and pick an ugly mid-sized town known for nothing special. Soviet-era concrete, men who do nothing but drink, slim blondes desperate for a better life. That's where you want to be.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
I asked in the "Ask me about Germany" thread, but maybe this is also a good place to ask: I need a break from the past months of 12+ hour work and feel like doing something interesting before moving onto my next job.

I'm currently in Germany and am willing to travel pretty far if interesting enough. Does anyone know of any interesting fests/shows/conventions/whatever going on in the near future in Germany? I'm open to Italy too, since I've got some fam there. Awesome hiking trails are also an option!

I'll be researching this myself, but just wanted to take advantage of the wealth of info here on SA, so I don't miss out on anything neat :)

geera
May 20, 2003
Does anybody have any good suggestions for travel iPhone apps, specifically for Paris? My wife and I are headed there next Friday and I'd like to find something with decent offline maps. Not requiring a data connection is pretty important.

I've already downloaded Metro Paris Subway for help with getting around, but I'd like something with offline maps and points of interest, etc. So far, Paris 2Go seems to look the best -- any opinions?

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Another question -

what do you all recommend in terms of cellphones? I know my phone doesn't work over there, do you think it's worth it to try to rent a quad-band from the Verizon store? Or should I just get a calling card and hope there are payphones?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Ishamael posted:

Another question -

what do you all recommend in terms of cellphones? I know my phone doesn't work over there, do you think it's worth it to try to rent a quad-band from the Verizon store? Or should I just get a calling card and hope there are payphones?

There are basically no payphones anymore except in like train stations, so either buy a cheap feature phone and SIM card, or just use Skype and realize that you probably don't really need a phone while you're on vacation anyway.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Ishamael posted:

Another question -

Just buy a cheap phone + SIM when you get there. It won't be more than €30.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Sweevo posted:

Just buy a cheap phone + SIM when you get there. It won't be more than €30.

Ok, that's good to know. Unfortunately we have to have phone access because that was one of the caveats of my wife's office letting her take 6 weeks off - she has to check in occasionally via phone.

Are there better or worse places to buy cheap phones? I am not much of a gadget guy so I am not really sure what to look for.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Ishamael posted:

Ok, that's good to know. Unfortunately we have to have phone access because that was one of the caveats of my wife's office letting her take 6 weeks off - she has to check in occasionally via phone.

Are there better or worse places to buy cheap phones? I am not much of a gadget guy so I am not really sure what to look for.

Just go to Orange or T-Mobile or SwissCom or whatever major national provider is in the first country you visit and buy a cheap feature phone+SIM there and fill it up with €30 or something. The differences in provider are pretty minor (in your situation) unless you know people to call in Europe who you'd want to be on the same provider as.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Saladman posted:

Just go to Orange or T-Mobile or SwissCom or whatever major national provider is in the first country you visit and buy a cheap feature phone+SIM there and fill it up with €30 or something. The differences in provider are pretty minor (in your situation) unless you know people to call in Europe who you'd want to be on the same provider as.

Awesome, thanks!

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I'm going to be in London for Halloween this year. Is it a holiday that Brit-goons celebrate at all? If so, are there any good parties / club nights / gigs on that weekend you would recommend?

Musically I'm into the harder-end of dance music so any hardstyle, hard dance, breakcore, even industrial or ebm parties would be awesome. Failing that, just something kind of alternative and underground would be great. I was looking at the Torture Garden parties but I don't know if I want to commit to getting dressed up and spending heaps of money on a ticket just yet.

Also, are there any weekly or regular 'rave' clubs in or around London? I don't mind if it's not a massive stadium rave but it'd be nice to hear some hard tunes and get my shuffle on.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone know if they don't stamp your passport, do they at least scan it? When I took Eurolines from London to Paris, they didn't stamp my passport when I crossed into the Schengen Area. I only ask because I am going to be cutting it really close to 90 days in the specific Area and imagine they are going to be interested in me when I'm leaving (I know it depends, but I saw a dude get pulled off a train in Slovenia leaving to Croatia) and I will have been over here well over 90 days. Should I keep my bus ticket?

I get so confused, sometimes they stamp but they don't scan, other times they don't stamp at all and I don't know if they scanned it or not. Seems so hit or miss.

Pieces
Jan 25, 2011

geera posted:

Does anybody have any good suggestions for travel iPhone apps, specifically for Paris? My wife and I are headed there next Friday and I'd like to find something with decent offline maps. Not requiring a data connection is pretty important.

I've already downloaded Metro Paris Subway for help with getting around, but I'd like something with offline maps and points of interest, etc. So far, Paris 2Go seems to look the best -- any opinions?

I used Offmaps (http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/offmaps/id313854422?mt=8) a bunch last year for 15+ cities in Europe and it worked okay for me. You can download map data from home, but more ideally just hit up a cafe and mooch their wifi to download anything you need.

Basically you can download map data (higher resolution requires more downloading ofc) and use it + your GPS without actually having wifi / Data. Works like your google maps in map-view (i.e. no satellite data).

I purchased a couple of map packs with it but I never found them to be very useful.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Pieces posted:

I used Offmaps (http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/offmaps/id313854422?mt=8) a bunch last year for 15+ cities in Europe and it worked okay for me. You can download map data from home, but more ideally just hit up a cafe and mooch their wifi to download anything you need.

Basically you can download map data (higher resolution requires more downloading ofc) and use it + your GPS without actually having wifi / Data. Works like your google maps in map-view (i.e. no satellite data).

I purchased a couple of map packs with it but I never found them to be very useful.

Google Maps has the same feature now (you have to enable it in Labs). I think it even caches satellite view.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Jeoh posted:

Google Maps has the same feature now (you have to enable it in Labs). I think it even caches satellite view.

I just checked Labs and I can't see it at all. Any idea what it's called?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

NoArmedMan posted:

I just checked Labs and I can't see it at all. Any idea what it's called?

Disregard my post, it's just for Android.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

cyberia posted:

London halloween words

After a bit of googling I think I'll be going to Sinistry:Halloween at the Lightbox on the friday night and then the Spirit of Labyrinth at Hidden on the saturday night.

If there are any London goons passing through the thread I'd still love any recommendations for underground stuff to do and see.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
We're thinking about getting the Elipsos overnight train from Paris to Barcelona, and it appears that from their website it is cheaper to book it in advance. So I was just wondering whether anyone can share their experiences with this particular train?

Also, any recommendations on getting from Seville to Lisboa would be appreciated, thanks :)

Ingo Pech
Oct 1, 2010
I have this semester off and would love to go to Berlin for a month. I'd be staying with a friend so room is no worries. I'd love to know where the best spots to catch live music are at though if anyone has any suggestions. Also, a slightly esoteric question but I love track bicycling and was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of the Berlin Velodrom? In particular, if there any amateur events?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Planning to spend Christmas time in England by myself then on Dec 28 meet up a friend in Paris and then head to Northern Spain.

What's Christmas like in England? Am I going to be "forever alone" cause everybody is at home with loved ones? The only definite place I want to check out is Oxford, other than that not much else.

Should I go to Barcelona? I know I definitely want to check out Bilbao.

nozz
Jan 27, 2007

proficient pringle eater
The main problem will be on Christmas Day itself, where literally everything will be shut, (apart from some restaurants maybe?) and if you just wanted to walk around seeing some sights the weather will probably be cold and wet. Also no public transport.

However this will probably be the case throughout Europe I guess? Though some countries have the main day on the 24th.

nozz fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Sep 13, 2011

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
I'm going to be going to Oktoberfest next year with a lot of people. Is there a hostel in Munich that anyone knows of which has dorm type accommodation (like 10 beds or something) which can be rented out?

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I'm going to be going to Oktoberfest next year with a lot of people. Is there a hostel in Munich that anyone knows of which has dorm type accommodation (like 10 beds or something) which can be rented out?

Check out hostelworld.com you can search for hostels in Munich and it will show the availability for each one. You can also book through the site.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Mongolian Squid posted:

Planning to spend Christmas time in England by myself then on Dec 28 meet up a friend in Paris and then head to Northern Spain.

What's Christmas like in England? Am I going to be "forever alone" cause everybody is at home with loved ones? The only definite place I want to check out is Oxford, other than that not much else.

Should I go to Barcelona? I know I definitely want to check out Bilbao.

Everything will be shut on Christmas including public transport. I think its just reduced for Boxing Day.

So if you dont have a car you will be stuck within walking distance.

But on another level its probably going to be the one day where the place will feel quite empty.

Theres probably going to be some christmas lights/carols thing in some place though.

If you dont like the thought of being alone you could always spend it doing charity work/helping homeless people have a meal etc. Quite a rewarding thing to do when you realise some people have that every year.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Indecisive last minute trip bullshittery!

Ok, I leave for London this weekend, I was originally going to do Berlin and Amsterdam. I am thinking now that I'd rather do Ireland (Dublin, southern Ireland) and Scotland. Anyone have an opinion? I just figure- I like music and people and poo poo and the whole Ireland thing seems way more .... friendly than the Germany/ Northernish Euro area.

Am I playing off negative stereotypes here?

But yeah, I'm basically in from this coming Monday until October 11th with about 250 Euro a day to play with and absolutely no plans. This will be the best trip ever or complete poo poo.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
Are you coming from the US for a big once-in-a-lifetime Europe trip? What's the purpose of your visit? Natural beauty? History and museums? Night life? Meeting locals? If you give some outline, I can offer info on Ireland as I grew up there, at least.

Also Amsterdam is amazing (even if you don't smoke) and Berlin is too, for the record, so I would recommend you don't write it off just like that. Personally I have no great love for Dublin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

futurebot 2000
Jan 29, 2010

PadreScout posted:

Indecisive last minute trip bullshittery!

Ok, I leave for London this weekend, I was originally going to do Berlin and Amsterdam. I am thinking now that I'd rather do Ireland (Dublin, southern Ireland) and Scotland. Anyone have an opinion? I just figure- I like music and people and poo poo and the whole Ireland thing seems way more .... friendly than the Germany/ Northernish Euro area.

Am I playing off negative stereotypes here?

But yeah, I'm basically in from this coming Monday until October 11th with about 250 Euro a day to play with and absolutely no plans. This will be the best trip ever or complete poo poo.

It sounds like you're more interested in nightlife rather than scenery so I'd definitely recommend Amsterdam/Berlin over Ireland/Scotland. Your budget is absolutely sufficient to have a great time in either one of those two cities.