Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

So my Epic hasn't gotten the last few PRL updates, and selecting "Update PRL" fails everytime I try it. Apparently this is common problem among Samsung's Sprint devices, and it's suggested to do a ##SCRTN# to reprogram the device.

I tried doing that this evening, but the hands-free activation failed. I ended up calling *2, and they said there was a "provisioning delay" and it could take up to three hours to activate, which was fine. However, the rep did some magic, and when I retried the hands-free, it activated instantly and grabbed the profile. PRL updates are still failing though. :bang:

Anyways, what's a "provisioning delay?" Is that a temporary thing when Sprint's "systems get backed up" or something? I got that impression.

Also, what magic might've the rep done to make the phone suddenly activate? Is there anyway to do that on my own?

Pretty sure Sprint is having some issues on their end tonight, every phone i activate has taken 2 tries to program, and porting is currently down (which really sucks for me). Glitches like that usually get flushed out within 24 hours, but that is likely why you are getting a provisioning delay.

A lot of times it is simply something in the sprint system (how the phone talks to the towers, etc) that gets jumbled up, and doing a refresh on their end (not just phone on your end) makes things work better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Pretty sure Sprint is having some issues on their end tonight,
Ah, yeah, that explains some of it. Would this kind of thing cause PRL updates to fail too?

Maybe the PRL updating bug on the phone is fixed, but it's broken now on Sprint's end. I probably shouldn't do this kind of stuff on a Saturday night.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Ah, yeah, that explains some of it. Would this kind of thing cause PRL updates to fail too?

Maybe the PRL updating bug on the phone is fixed, but it's broken now on Sprint's end. I probably shouldn't do this kind of stuff on a Saturday night.

I don't know, I've been bashing my head in all day over this.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...
4G is active in Tulsa. I got it at two different points in town eight miles apart. Confirmed by a friend, weak signal for both of us but netflix loads awesome fast.

Not that there are many Tulsa goons, but still.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
I can't get the normal camera to work at all anymore. The front-facing one works fine if I can get the app UI to load, but the normal camera only shows a black screen, usually without the UI loading.

Using a third-party camera app doesn't have an effect, and CatLog shows a bunch of Qualcomm errors related to the camera.

I have tried reverting to the stock rom with S-ON, different microSD cards, battery pulls and factory resets. No change at all.

Pretty sure this is a hardware problem. I signed up on July 5th and have TEP. What am I looking to pay for a replacement if I take it into the store? Would love to avoid the $100 if possible for something hardware-related that I didn't cause.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Krittick posted:

I can't get the normal camera to work at all anymore. The front-facing one works fine if I can get the app UI to load, but the normal camera only shows a black screen, usually without the UI loading.

Using a third-party camera app doesn't have an effect, and CatLog shows a bunch of Qualcomm errors related to the camera.

I have tried reverting to the stock rom with S-ON, different microSD cards, battery pulls and factory resets. No change at all.

Pretty sure this is a hardware problem. I signed up on July 5th and have TEP. What am I looking to pay for a replacement if I take it into the store? Would love to avoid the $100 if possible for something hardware-related that I didn't cause.

It is under warranty take it in, they will swap it out no charge. They won't care that it is rooted (or shouldn't ). Only bummer is if you get a 3D with the latest software that you cannot root.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

It is under warranty take it in, they will swap it out no charge. They won't care that it is rooted (or shouldn't ). Only bummer is if you get a 3D with the latest software that you cannot root.

Can't I just use the official unlock with this guide instead?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1239821

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Only bummer is if you get a 3D with the latest software that you cannot root.
Latest-software Evo 3Ds are rootable using HTC's official unlock, but not with the unofficial revolutionary.io. Between the two methods, revolutionary.io is the preference right now as it's "more of an unlock" than the official method. But the official method is perfectly capable of rooting, custom kernels, custom ROMs, etc.

There's two caveats with the official method. First, for a reason that's unknown to me, not all custom recoveries work with HTC's method. Second, custom kernels can't be flashed from recovery unlesss you boot to it through fastboot. To make a long story short, for now, if you boot recovery via fastboot and do all your flashing that way, it should work fine.

This thread contains a guide for rooting the Evo 3D and installing (a compatible) ClockworkMod. There's also a version of TWRP recovery that's compatible with the official method floating around, but I can't find the xda post with it right now.

If you want to flash a custom kernel or ROM, follow the directions in this post to boot ClockworkMod through fastboot, which allows for the kernel to be flashed as well.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

I went to the store and they told me that Sprint will not replace the phone because the camera is considered to be non-essential.

The camera. On an EVO 3D. The 3D part doesn't work without the camera...

They said I can use the insurance and pay $100 or wait 6-8 weeks for their cameras to be in stock for an in-store repair.

The store manager confirmed this policy when asked. I was quite polite about the whole thing but they basically didn't give a poo poo.

Not going to even get into the apathy and body odor coming from the hambeast working there, but the whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth, quite literally.

Guess I'm not using the camera until I can add $100 in my budget and somehow do without a phone for however long it takes insurance to replace it. :(

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Krittick posted:

I went to the store and they told me that Sprint will not replace the phone because the camera is considered to be non-essential.
If you have a backup phone, it might be worth trying to contact HTC directly to see if they'll fix/replace the phone under the one-year manufacturer warranty.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

ExcessBLarg! posted:

If you have a backup phone, it might be worth trying to contact HTC directly to see if they'll fix/replace the phone under the one-year manufacturer warranty.

This is my first Sprint phone, so no backup. I'll have to go without a phone for it, which is awesome fun considering I'm on call for a large part of my job.

Mr. Ali
Oct 2, 2003
gay man
That is not right Kittick. Was it a Sprint repair center? Either way call Sprint and tell them your situation.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

Mr. Ali posted:

That is not right Kittick. Was it a Sprint repair center? Either way call Sprint and tell them your situation.

Oh, I definitely did call. It was a corporate store that apparently is also listed as a repair center (according to the phone rep). They said the same thing, that "Sprint does not replace phones if the camera is broken." Asking for a supervisor did nothing and they could barely be understood.

The only thing I care about right now is getting a replacement phone without having to wait a period of time with no phone. Just frustrated at this whole experience because I've enjoyed Sprint for the most part until now, and wouldn't dream of switching to a carrier without unlimited data.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Krittick posted:

They said the same thing, that "Sprint does not replace phones if the camera is broken."
That's probably true in the sense that they would attempt to repair the camera first. The bullshit part is where they can't do that for 6-8 weeks, so they should replace it, fix it on their own time, and sell it refurbished.

Edit: But yeah, how do you convince them of that?

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That's probably true in the sense that they would attempt to repair the camera first. The bullshit part is where they can't do that for 6-8 weeks, so they should replace it, fix it on their own time, and sell it refurbished.

Edit: But yeah, how do you convince them of that?

Considering that the manager was equally useless, I've given up on convincing them of anything. Not letting them near the device to "repair" it either, as they didn't seem terribly bright.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Call the Consumerist hotline in the OP.

Battle Cattle
Aug 13, 2003

MOO.
The Sprint iPhone 5 has been all but confirmed by leaks. Nobody here has any reason to believe or trust me, but I can guarantee Sprint is getting an iPhone next month.

Nexus ICS is coming to Sprint, too.

Battle Cattle fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 5, 2011

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
http://www.bgr.com/2011/09/04/best-buy-anticipating-iphone-5-for-sprint-preorders-starting-next-month/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Battle Cattle posted:

The Sprint iPhone 5 has been all but confirmed by leaks. Nobody here has any reason to believe or trust me, but I can guarantee Sprint is getting an iPhone next month.

Nexus ICS, too.

I pray you are correct about the Nexus ICS.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I'm about to port my last number (my personal one) over to Sprint. I'd planned on picking up another Nexus S like I currently use with T-Mobile.

All the talk of the Nexus Prime has me waiting, but I wonder, is there any way to 'save' my initial phone discount, or is it like T-Mobile's policy of 'If you don't buy a subsidized phone at the time of activation you lose the discount'?

Incidentally, you guys talking about Sprint's network being slow should spend some time with T-Mobile's 'throttled' data service.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Krittick posted:

The camera. On an EVO 3D. The 3D part doesn't work without the camera...

They said I can use the insurance and pay $100 or wait 6-8 weeks for their cameras to be in stock for an in-store repair.

The store manager confirmed this policy when asked. I was quite polite about the whole thing but they basically didn't give a poo poo.

Not going to even get into the apathy and body odor coming from the hambeast working there, but the whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth, quite literally.

Guess I'm not using the camera until I can add $100 in my budget and somehow do without a phone for however long it takes insurance to replace it. :(

Call the retentions number in the op, you have a right to bitch.

iostream.h posted:

I'm about to port my last number (my personal one) over to Sprint. I'd planned on picking up another Nexus S like I currently use with T-Mobile.

All the talk of the Nexus Prime has me waiting, but I wonder, is there any way to 'save' my initial phone discount, or is it like T-Mobile's policy of 'If you don't buy a subsidized phone at the time of activation you lose the discount'?

Incidentally, you guys talking about Sprint's network being slow should spend some time with T-Mobile's 'throttled' data service.

If you buy a phone outright or bring a phone, you keep your new customer pricing for later. So honestly, I would recommend buying an EVO used for $200, keeping your upgrade for the prime or whatever phone like it.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 5, 2011

Dansu
Jun 26, 2000
Forum Veteran

Krittick posted:

Considering that the manager was equally useless, I've given up on convincing them of anything. Not letting them near the device to "repair" it either, as they didn't seem terribly bright.

Call customer care and tell them the camera doesn't work and you can't take it to a repair center and you want to do an Advanced Exchange. They'll send you a refurb phone in the mail and you just have to send your old one back within 15 days.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

Dansu posted:

Call customer care and tell them the camera doesn't work and you can't take it to a repair center and you want to do an Advanced Exchange. They'll send you a refurb phone in the mail and you just have to send your old one back within 15 days.

Will try this and then the retention's number. Thanks guys. :)

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

Battle Cattle posted:

Nexus ICS is coming to Sprint, too.

My birthday is coming up, I'm going to have to choose between a nexus prime, iphone5, and the sgs2? Yikes!

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Appachai posted:

My birthday is coming up, I'm going to have to choose between a nexus prime, iphone5, and the sgs2? Yikes!

The first two will most likely out-class the third. The iPhone will be a better, newer iPhone if that's your thing, I'm sure it's going to be a great device.

The Prime will most likely (according to rumor) be Samsung hardware but with software made by competent developers, and will likely have a higher resolution screen than the SGSII. The SGSII will be running Samsung software, so it will be updated slower than the Prime and be full of Touchwiz and carrier software.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.

900ftjesus posted:

The Prime will most likely (according to rumor) be Samsung hardware but with software made by competent developers, and will likely have a higher resolution screen than the SGSII. The SGSII will be running Samsung software, so it will be updated slower than the Prime and be full of Touchwiz and carrier software.

If the above holds true (Samsung hardware, competent devs, crazy specs), then I want the Prime so bad it hurts.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Well that all but confirmed iPhone 5 has me going saying day one loving purchase. GOD YES.

Evo 3D you're nice but whatevs.

Also the fact that someone is even considering between what may be the Nexus Prime (believe it or not this is an option too and not just the two that follow it, just going to throw that out there), an iPhone, and a Galaxy S 2. Are you kiddin?

averox fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Sep 6, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

averox posted:

Well that all but confirmed iPhone 5 has me going saying day one loving purchase. GOD YES.

Also the fact that someone is even considering between what may be the Nexus Prime, an iPhone, and a Galaxy S 2. Are you kiddin?

Some people don't like iOS, believe it or not.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
That other option being the supposed Nexus Prime. I'd rather wait for the Nexus Prime than go Samsung again. Who knows though maybe Samsung really have fixed their problems although I can't find it in my heart to trust a phone by them. Apparently the SGS2 uses the same wimax chip as the Epic 4G. Not that I know how well 4G works on the Epic 4G.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

averox posted:

Also the fact that someone is even considering between what may be the Nexus Prime, an iPhone, and a Galaxy S 2. Are you kiddin?

No. I really don't think iOS is really that easy to use, probably because of my windows and Linux upbringing. iTunes is just a pain in the butt for me to use with my iPad. Of course if the phone is really that cool I might suffer through it. Otherwise the prime is looking good

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

averox posted:

That other option being the supposed Nexus Prime. I'd rather wait for the Nexus Prime than go Samsung again. Who knows though maybe Samsung really have fixed their problems although I can't find it in my heart to trust a phone by them. Apparently the SGS2 uses the same wimax chip as the Epic 4G. Not that I know how well 4G works on the Epic 4G.

Ah gotcha. Well, I would stay away from the epic touch, if the Prime comes to sprint, that is the next phone to get.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

iostream.h posted:

For the second or third time, I've found myself throttled on Sprint to only 150kbps.

This latest time, this Labor Day weekend, I only used a couple hundred MBs tethering before it started to occur.

I thought Sprint wasn't supposed to do this at all. :(

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

averox posted:

Who knows though maybe Samsung really have fixed their problems although I can't find it in my heart to trust a phone by them.
Samsung problems aside, I'm not sure there's any benefit of the SGSII over a Nexus Prime. Given that, why wouldn't you go Nexus Prime (or iPhone).

averox posted:

Apparently the SGS2 uses the same wimax chip as the Epic 4G. Not that I know how well 4G works on the Epic 4G.
WiMAX on the Epic works as well as it does on any Sprint device. One advantage of it, compared to the Evo, is that you can't blow away your WiMAX RSA keys when custom ROMming and stuff.

The one issue I have with it is that there's a timeout between when the WiMAX radio goes to sleep and when it's willing to wake up again, and if you try to do data stuff in the interim it'll occasionally fail and you just have to try it a second time. There's a few timeout tunables that can be adjusted to fix that, but I haven't bothered with them as it isn't a huge problem.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

td4guy posted:

For the second or third time, I've found myself throttled on Sprint to only 150kbps.
That kind of stuff happens on their 3G network, although it's not known exactly why. Anecdotally, I've found that encrypted connections (ssh, VPNs) "get slow" after a while, particularly in a trafficy cell, compared to unencrypted HTTP.

I'd be more likely to attribute it to QoS, congestion, and insufficient backhaul than I would to an outright throttling policy.

Sailor
Apr 2, 2007

Who needs balls when you've got guts.
Just to clarify, EPRP plans are subject to the $10 Smartphone fee? So the $59.99 plan is really $69.99 if you put anything other than a dumbphone on it?

(Trying to figure out if canceling my current Everything Data 450 $69.99 plan with a 20% discount when my contract's up would make sense, since I'll soon be paying an extra ten bucks a month for the privilege of not having to use this loving Moment. But if the EPRP plan is subject to the charge too, I might as well stick with my discount.)

(I read the first five and the last ten pages and can't search, sorry. Google suggests yes, but I'm not seeing it mentioned on the EPRP site.)

Sailor fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 6, 2011

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Yes, EPRP plans are subject to the $10 smartphone fee and aren't eligible for corp discounts.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
My Evo 3D gets really warm and restarts almost loving constantly, it's driving me completely bananas. To be fair, it will sometimes work fine for most of the day...and then suddenly it decides it's too hot inside my pocket and just restarts over and over for like an hour, right when I loving need it, before I get fed up, pull the battery out, and wait for it to cool down.

I got it less than 30 days ago, so Sprint should owe me a replacement right?

I am on a SERO plan, so should I call SERO/EPRP: 866-264-1282, or Employee Care, or what?

edit: bonus question: is there any way I can just draw this out and get the new iPhone instead if I keep getting lovely Evo3D's? I'm starting to hate this phone's crashiness and lovely reception.

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 6, 2011

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

yellowjournalism posted:

My Evo 3D gets really warm and restarts almost loving constantly, it's driving me completely bananas. To be fair, it will sometimes work fine for most of the day...and then suddenly it decides it's too hot inside my pocket and just restarts over and over for like an hour, right when I loving need it, before I get fed up, pull the battery out, and wait for it to cool down.

I am on a SERO plan, so should I call SERO/EPRP: 866-264-1282, or Employee Care, or what?

edit: bonus question: is there any way I can just draw this out and get the new iPhone instead if I keep getting lovely Evo3D's? I'm starting to hate this phone's crashiness and lovely reception.

You either have an app going nuts that gets the CPU going crazy or you have a hardware defect. You might try a hard reset first to see if that fixes it before you bother talking to Sprint. You will also need to go to a Sprint store (where they will do a hard reset to try to fix the problem), they won't resolve hardware issues over the phone.

You get a phone trade within 30 days of purchase, and trading your phone does not reset this timer. So the iPhone plan will not work for you. Keep in mind the iPhone will be a huge seller, so don't think they're going to bend over backwards to hand them out, especially for a super discount plan like you have.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

yellowjournalism posted:

Sounds like you have a defective 3D,.just swap it out within 30 days.

Sailor posted:

Just to clarify, EPRP plans are subject to the $10 Smartphone fee? So the $59.99 plan is really $69.99 if you put anything other than a dumbphone on it?

(Trying to figure out if canceling my current Everything Data 450 $69.99 plan with a 20% discount when my contract's up would make sense, since I'll soon be paying an extra ten bucks a month for the privilege of not having to use this loving Moment. But if the EPRP plan is subject to the charge too, I might as well stick with my discount.)

(I read the first five and the last ten pages and can't search, sorry. Google suggests yes, but I'm not seeing it mentioned on the EPRP site.)

Your discount runs about the same as eprp, so no real reason to switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Your discount runs about the same as eprp, so no real reason to switch.
That and the benefit of being a Real Customer and being able to take advantage of AmazonWirelss/Best Buy upgrade deals and no mail in rebates, when those start happening again.