Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

particle409 posted:

I'll stick with the series a little more, but I may just stop if I encounter too much time travel.

So I take it they haven't introduced the Temporal Cold War yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
I'd personally like to bone the vulcan chick on st:enterprise.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

So I just watched all 4 seasons of battlestar galactica in about a week and a half.

Amazing show.

Totally have a crush on Grace Park now. :)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you go to streamingsoon, it says there are only going to be four titles added in the next month. Is the site wrong, or are Netflix seriously cutting down on the number of titles they are adding to WI?

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

zoux posted:

If you go to streamingsoon, it says there are only going to be four titles added in the next month. Is the site wrong, or are Netflix seriously cutting down on the number of titles they are adding to WI?

I wouldn't be surprised. Earlier (however it may just be speculation) people were talking about companies raising the price of the licenses they sell netflix to stream their movies. This could just be the time it effects us.
Comes at a lovely time though, the plan changes take effect next month.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah seems like a bad time to be raising prices while reducing selection.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

On Terra Firma posted:

So I just watched all 4 seasons of battlestar galactica in about a week and a half.

I'm on the second episode of the 2nd season, and I'm still just not that into it.

Does it get better later on?

I like sci-fi but I don't like Star Trek (yet I love the naval fiction it's based on) if that's any indicator of my tastes.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I'm on the second episode of the 2nd season, and I'm still just not that into it.

Does it get better later on?

I like sci-fi but I don't like Star Trek (yet I love the naval fiction it's based on) if that's any indicator of my tastes.

Sorry to say but if you're not into it by like, episode 5 then it probably just isn't for you. :(

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Kyle Hyde posted:

Sorry to say but if you're not into it by like, episode 5 then it probably just isn't for you. :(

I'd encourage people to stick around until the dog episode anyway, because I can imagine someone who doesn't like the rest of the show still loving that episode. I think that's around 6 or 7.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is this the old series or the new one?

If you're talking about the new series, it pretty much gets worse as it goes on. If you like it it probably won't turn you off, but if you don't like it it's not going to suddenly hook you.

The miniseries that begins it is about as good as it gets, so if you're not in to it now you won't be later.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Is this the old series or the new one?

If you're talking about the new series, it pretty much gets worse as it goes on. If you like it it probably won't turn you off, but if you don't like it it's not going to suddenly hook you.

The miniseries that begins it is about as good as it gets, so if you're not in to it now you won't be later.

I'd agree with that. I'm not sure why exactly it hooked me the way that it did, but I just thought it was a really fun show.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

zoux posted:

That's odd. This article says they'll be streaming a bunch of Paramount, Lionsgate and MGM movies in September, and this website lists a whole bunch of movies coming out in the next several days.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!

a kitten posted:

Dear Zachary which was such an amazing and emotional documentary that almost literally floored me. I knew basically nothing about it going in, other than it was a documentary film made as a video letter to the child of the filmmaker's murdered friend.

Just finished watching this. drat this movie is heartbreaking. Really amazing though.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

SGT. Squeaks posted:

Just finished watching this. drat this movie is heartbreaking. Really amazing though.

That movie was so incredibly sad and devastating that I hesitate recommending it to anyone, simply because I don't want them to go through that. I've never cried watching a movie before, and by the end of that I had to wash all the salt off my face.

nerox
May 20, 2001

SGT. Squeaks posted:

Dear god, I just finished this too. :cry:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Captain Lavender posted:

Just watched Dear Zachary

If there's anyone reading this thread who hasn't watched this, go watch it now. I just got done with it. Don't read any reviews, just go into it blind. One of the best documentaries I have ever seen. I want to explain more why, but I don't even want to put it in spoiler tags because you should just go watch it.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Mo_Steel posted:

If there's anyone reading this thread who hasn't watched this, go watch it now. I just got done with it. Don't read any reviews, just go into it blind. One of the best documentaries I have ever seen. I want to explain more why, but I don't even want to put it in spoiler tags because you should just go watch it.

Just n'thing that this movie made me sob, and I pretty much never ever cry at anything. It's a must watch and if it doesn't make you cry then you're not a human being and I hate you.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

MrGreenShirt posted:

That's odd. This article

I have yet to see Frasier, or the entire Miramax library as I was promised.

Fralcon
Nov 25, 2002

by Ozmaugh
Not sure if this is a repeat but the first season of Louie is up on streaming, for anyone who never caught it the first time around. And if you have no idea what I'm talking about, watch it, Louis C.K. is one of the funniest mofos around.

I just finished watching the first episode of American Gangster, a new BET series on famous black gangsters. First episode is about Tookie Williams, founder of the crips, and it was alot better than I thought it would be. Also it's narrated by Ving Rhames who is way pimpish. Guns and Butter baby!

Fralcon has a new favorite as of 12:31 on Sep 1, 2011

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Apparently Netflix Canada added over 150 things today. Most of it's crap, but there's some good stuff hidden in there.

Tailwhoop
Oct 18, 2008

Luigi to Kobe's Mario.
:sigh:

http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/01/technology/netflix_starz/index.htm?iid=Popular

Tailwhoop has a new favorite as of 09:50 on Sep 2, 2011

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I like that everyone's thinking that we'll want to pay for like 6 separate services just to get !!EXCLUSIVE!! content.

Somehow I don't think this will work out as well for all of the separate content providers as they seem to think it will. :filez: I wonder how long it will take them to declare their ventures failures.

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
Fubar: Balls to the Wall

I thought the first film was decent and this follow up didn't suck either.

Lurkman
Nov 4, 2008
Conan the Barbarian went up today, visuals in HD, score in mono. This'll be the first time I've seen it in its original not-edited-for-content glory.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

The old James Bond movies also went up today. And go down October 1, from the looks of it.

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011
It's strange that those Bond movies are only up for a month. Most movies are up for a couple months at least. Good chance to watch On Her Majesty's Secret Service which is highly regarded as the best non-Connery Bond movie if not the best Bond film.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

I like that everyone's thinking that we'll want to pay for like 6 separate services just to get !!EXCLUSIVE!! content.

Somehow I don't think this will work out as well for all of the separate content providers as they seem to think it will. :filez: I wonder how long it will take them to declare their ventures failures.

The massive Netflix catalog expansion over the past few years has been pretty awesome. It has gotten to the point that between Netflix/Hulu/others, I could cancel my cable. With this news though... I dunno. With the rate hikes, streaming license hikes, etc., I don't see Netflix being able to maintain this level of content for long.

Companies are just going to kill the entire paid streaming market if they keep this up. Which may have been the plan all along. Grr, why can't we just have nice things.

drkhrs2020
Jul 22, 2007
It's called

Example 8 Hour 23.976

and is a 480 minute long repeat of the same 15 minute clip of gardens and such, which ends with a guy yelling a speech from Shakespeare's Julius Caeser into the camera, then making popping sounds with his mouth for a bit.

I don't really know why, but it captivated me,

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Aphrodite posted:

No, the miniseries was padded considerably, outside the last season it's the weakest of the the show. Season two and three are the strongest with the latter being among the best television I've ever seen. But yeah, if Raskolnikov2089 is not into it by season two, he never will be.

Most of the Starz movies I've seen are really terrible quality anyway.

BarryMantlesnorks
Nov 14, 2005
The Pixies documentary "loudQUIETloud" is up and if you have any interest in the Pixies or music documentaries or music in general you should watch it. It follows them on their 2004 reunion tour.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I Love You Phillip Morris

I just saw this on the recs from this thread, and I really liked it. I'm surprised that I never heard of this considering two fairly big hitters in Carrey and MacGregor were in the film, but I guess it had a limited art house kind of release because of all the gayness?

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I'm not too worried about the Starz deal going away, either. There are probably a lot of films that'll disappear from my queue, but I doubt I would have ever gotten to many, anyhow. It's almost all new stuff, and Starz usually gets lower tier stuff the other premium channels don't grab.

Until all the deals for awesome TV shows and classic and foreign movies dry up, I think Netflix streaming will still be a wondrous thing.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Practical Demon posted:

I'm not too worried about the Starz deal going away, either. There are probably a lot of films that'll disappear from my queue, but I doubt I would have ever gotten to many, anyhow. It's almost all new stuff, and Starz usually gets lower tier stuff the other premium channels don't grab.

Until all the deals for awesome TV shows and classic and foreign movies dry up, I think Netflix streaming will still be a wondrous thing.

Stars gets Pixar. And they have "Party Down." I'm keeping netflix because it's my primary source of visual entertainment, but "Starz Play" is pretty solid. Basically what I'm trying to say is watch "Up" and "Party Down." "Spartacus" if you like sandals and leather, in case it goes away.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
A reasonable statement. I've got all my favorite Pixar movies on DVD already, and have seen Party Down, so those aren't too big on my list. I'm sure there are some other titles, though, that are probably through Starz that I don't realize that will be annoying to lose.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Just saw a lovely Australian disaster movie with teerriibblee science, Arctic Blast. Somehow a solar eclipse causes a hole in the ozone and everyone freezes to death. Worth watching if you like yelling at dumb Australians and bad science.

Was in the mood for another bad movie so I found Carriers - but it's actually really good. Got Chris Pine and Piper Parabo, and it's basically a "on the run from zombies" road movie except people are just sick, not undead.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Saint Sputnik posted:

Was in the mood for another bad movie so I found Carriers - but it's actually really good. Got Chris Pine and Piper Parabo, and it's basically a "on the run from zombies" road movie except people are just sick, not undead.

I watched this last year. I seem to remember having a few issues with it but overall I was entertained.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Note to anyone who suffers from excessive emotionality, just don't watch Dear Zachary, the movie left me practically in grief, not just feeling sadness, but grief.
A curse on everyone in this thread who recommended it.

I will be donating without a doubt.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Buried is now streaming. If you liked that one scene from Kill Bill and want to watch a whole movie based on it you should like Buried. It was pretty intense and worth a watch.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Lurkman posted:

Conan the Barbarian went up today, visuals in HD, score in mono. This'll be the first time I've seen it in its original not-edited-for-content glory.

It really does have a great score. Basil Poledouris was a badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telven
Mar 4, 2001

IL2 Fanboy

Fralcon posted:

Just plowed through first three seasons of x-men, show still owns bones.

COVERED IN SCORPIONS

You will replace senator kelly's brain with.....A COMPUTER

• Locked thread