Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

ToxicFrog posted:

Ok, it's entirely possible that this game exists only in my fevered imagination and garbled memories of childhood, but here goes.

I'm looking for a game involving cybernetic implants. It's not Deus Ex, either System Shock, or Iji. I want to say that it's a brawler or 2d sidescroller, with a heavy melee component; my main memory is leg upgrades to run wicked fast.

Is this an actual game that exists, or am I just crazy?
Super Metroid, but no melee in that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

scamtank posted:

No melee here, but Abuse? Crazyfast cyberlegs featured at ~1:20.

Holy poo poo I'd completely forgotten about this game.

Looking at that, it seems likely that I'm conflating Abuse's sidescrolling gameplay (e: or Super Metroid's) with something else (since Abuse doesn't really feature upgradeable cyberware that I remember, or melee) - could be Syndicate.

Aah well. Thanks, thread. :)

Amphetama
Aug 16, 2008

Third Eye Vision
I have extremely low expectations on this one, but the other night my fiance and I were talking about some old educational software we both used to mess around with as kids. There was one in particular that we both knew of, but couldn't remember for the life of us what it was called.

I myself played it on windows 3.1, so it had to have been released around the era of 1993-1994 I'm guessing.

As far as "gameplay" goes, we both just remember clicking around to navigate these narrow little underwater hallways. The aesthetic reminded me of walking around an aquarium or something like that. There was some pretty weird bubbly music too, just your typical MIDI soundtrack, I guess.

I guess you just learned about undersea life and poo poo. I remember a lot of crappy looking FMV of sharks, and sometimes they would even appear behind you in the "hallways" - which was kind of startling. The setting might have supposed to have been that you were a diver in a shark cage, but memory fades.

Like I said: I have little hope, but maybe somebody else remembers being forced to play it over and over again.

aliasedman
Aug 14, 2011

Oh yeah, I remember that "game"! Sorry, I don't recall the name either. I distinctly remember the narrow hallways and a giant swordfish on the wall somewhere. All I can say is it came included (I think) with the first computer my aunt bought for me, a Packard Bell.

edit: It has to be Undersea Adventure. It came packaged with 3-D Body Adventure Emergency which scared the bejesus out of me as a 6 year old.

aliasedman fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 28, 2011

Paume
Jun 8, 2008

:commissar:
I'm trying to remember this game I played when I was a kid, it involved a shaman character and you had different types of moves (Fireball, Lightning etc). You had workers, you fought other tribesmen and I think I recall a tower or two. I got this game as a demo and never tried the full version, it has been bothering me all week and I really wanted to play it again.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Paume posted:

I'm trying to remember this game I played when I was a kid, it involved a shaman character and you had different types of moves (Fireball, Lightning etc). You had workers, you fought other tribesmen and I think I recall a tower or two. I got this game as a demo and never tried the full version, it has been bothering me all week and I really wanted to play it again.

Populous: The Beginning.

Amphetama
Aug 16, 2008

Third Eye Vision

aliasedman posted:

Oh yeah, I remember that "game"! Sorry, I don't recall the name either. I distinctly remember the narrow hallways and a giant swordfish on the wall somewhere. All I can say is it came included (I think) with the first computer my aunt bought for me, a Packard Bell.

edit: It has to be Undersea Adventure. It came packaged with 3-D Body Adventure Emergency which scared the bejesus out of me as a 6 year old.

THANK YOU SIR! The 3-D body adventure was another game she mentioned the other night, and from your links she found a couple others.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

ToxicFrog posted:

Ok, it's entirely possible that this game exists only in my fevered imagination and garbled memories of childhood, but here goes.

I'm looking for a game involving cybernetic implants. It's not Deus Ex, either System Shock, or Iji. I want to say that it's a brawler or 2d sidescroller, with a heavy melee component; my main memory is leg upgrades to run wicked fast.

Is this an actual game that exists, or am I just crazy?

Bioforge was about a cyborg and I remember it being really melee heavy. Although if that was the answer I figure you'd have mentioned beating people with a severed arm.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Crossposting this from the Let's Play Super NES thread about a game I've been looking for for years:

an_mutt posted:

I think you were either a blue blob, or had to avoid blue blobs, and you either ate food as power-ups or could turn into food (as the blue blob). I remember stuff like hot-dogs quite vividly for some reason. I know this is vague as gently caress but this thing has been on my mind and out of my life for about 13-14 years now.
Anybody know what this game is, or if it even exists?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

an_mutt posted:

Crossposting this from the Let's Play Super NES thread about a game I've been looking for for years:

Anybody know what this game is, or if it even exists?
Probably either Smart Ball or Putty/Super Putty

EDIT: Gotta be Super Putty, you collect burgers and hot dogs to restore health

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Pablo Gigante posted:

EDIT: Gotta be Super Putty, you collect burgers and hot dogs to restore health
Oh boy, I think this is it. Some of it seems off from how I remember it, but just as much of it seems familiar and my brother is pretty sure it's the game I'm thinking of as well. Thanks, man!

John Mirra
Dec 18, 2005

There was a DOS game I played as a kid where you were a vampire and you had to continually suck peoples blood to stay alive and you could transform into a bat and werewolf, I think? It was sidescrolling as well.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

John Mirra posted:

There was a DOS game I played as a kid where you were a vampire and you had to continually suck peoples blood to stay alive and you could transform into a bat and werewolf, I think? It was sidescrolling as well.

Til you got to sidescrolling I was going to say Legacy of Kain, which did have a PC version, though not for DOS.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Side-scrolling arcade beat-em-up from the 90's, where I think there was a Japanese mystical element to it, and at one point you could beam up to the clouds or something and fight a long line of mystical enemies. You could also play as a dog.

I'm embarrassed I don't remember the name of it. :(

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

John Mirra posted:

This has to be Nighthunter.

These Loving Eyes fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 6, 2011

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

When I was quite young I spent a lot of my time at my Dad's place of work. The place of work was and still is the New Museum in NYC, and I would usually wander around and check out the goings on when I couldn't steal time on one of the lovely desktops in the basement offices.

I remember at one point there was a exhibit about video games and art within games or something like that. There was a big bizarre setup with a bunch of working computers, locked into specific programs which may or may not have been actual commercial games.

I remember there was this one FPS with maybe Tremulous or RtCW level graphics, but I guess I could be misremembering how good it actually looked. It's a pretty vague memory but I felt like it could have been a Counter-Strike mod?

In any case the one detail that really stands out to me was this one weapon which was basically an alien insect or Metroid looking thing that the player character would hold in one hand while the thing struggled and snapped its teeth or claws or whatever, which could then be thrown as a weapon against others.

There may have also been pools of acid. I just don't remember. It's a bizarre and enticing memory.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

When I was quite young I spent a lot of my time at my Dad's place of work. The place of work was and still is the New Museum in NYC, and I would usually wander around and check out the goings on when I couldn't steal time on one of the lovely desktops in the basement offices.

I remember at one point there was a exhibit about video games and art within games or something like that. There was a big bizarre setup with a bunch of working computers, locked into specific programs which may or may not have been actual commercial games.

I remember there was this one FPS with maybe Tremulous or RtCW level graphics, but I guess I could be misremembering how good it actually looked. It's a pretty vague memory but I felt like it could have been a Counter-Strike mod?

In any case the one detail that really stands out to me was this one weapon which was basically an alien insect or Metroid looking thing that the player character would hold in one hand while the thing struggled and snapped its teeth or claws or whatever, which could then be thrown as a weapon against others.

There may have also been pools of acid. I just don't remember. It's a bizarre and enticing memory.

Could it be Opposing Force?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW8kUTnSTsw

Check out the Barnacle Grapple at 0:17, the Spore Launcher at 2:06, and the shockroach at 2:22

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Regular plain ol' Half-Life also had the snarks which match your description

.DAT Azz
Jan 8, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Maybe it was just a Snark: http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Snark

EDIT: Beaten.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

That sounds like Half-Life's Snark weapon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltK0ZOGeAxg

Solvalou
Aug 31, 2001

ZeeBoi posted:

Side-scrolling arcade beat-em-up from the 90's, where I think there was a Japanese mystical element to it, and at one point you could beam up to the clouds or something and fight a long line of mystical enemies. You could also play as a dog.

I'm embarrassed I don't remember the name of it. :(

Sengoku.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsY0ysSbdLA

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Snarks. Right on. :tipshat:

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Snarks. Right on. :tipshat:

Half-Life: The Best CounterStrike Mod.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

In my defense I am absolutely certain that they had some variant of Counter-Strike on one of those exhibit computers.

.DAT Azz
Jan 8, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Half-Life, a bizarre and enticing bit of obscurity from some kids past. Thanks for making me feel old.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Hey thanks, that helped me update a memory. :)

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Let's see. The title I'm looking for is an NES title, mostly involving platforming and fighting humanoid enemies. The key gimmick/feature was how you fought. When you faced off against an enemy, you had six moves you could use: attack high/medium/low or defend high/medium/low. An on-screen indicator showed which one of the six you should use (it'd appear shortly before an enemy attack or when there was an opening in their defense). I rented it when I was young and didn't get all that far, and every so often it floats up out of my neurons and waves hello. Help me exorcise this restless video game spirit!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

FredMSloniker posted:

Let's see. The title I'm looking for is an NES title, mostly involving platforming and fighting humanoid enemies. The key gimmick/feature was how you fought. When you faced off against an enemy, you had six moves you could use: attack high/medium/low or defend high/medium/low. An on-screen indicator showed which one of the six you should use (it'd appear shortly before an enemy attack or when there was an opening in their defense). I rented it when I was young and didn't get all that far, and every so often it floats up out of my neurons and waves hello. Help me exorcise this restless video game spirit!
Karateka or Flying Dragon.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

duckfarts posted:

Karateka or Flying Dragon.

No, it's definitely not Karateka, and Flying Dragon seems to not have the whole 'follow the blinking light to use the correct move' element.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

FredMSloniker posted:

No, it's definitely not Karateka, and Flying Dragon seems to not have the whole 'follow the blinking light to use the correct move' element.

Flying Dragon does actually do this. So did its sequel, Flying Warriors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fIvyVhwRvo

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Cidrick posted:

Flying Warriors.

Ah, that's the one I was thinking of! Thank you much!

I thought of another one while waiting on that one. It was an arcade title, Neo-Geo to be precise, played from a weird first-person, tile-by-tile perspective. I mainly remember that your default melee weapon, a combat knife, would get redder and redder as you used it, and you could find various spots to get it cleaned/sharpened/something to return it to its original color (which I believe increased its damage as well)...

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

FredMSloniker posted:

Ah, that's the one I was thinking of! Thank you much!

I thought of another one while waiting on that one. It was an arcade title, Neo-Geo to be precise, played from a weird first-person, tile-by-tile perspective. I mainly remember that your default melee weapon, a combat knife, would get redder and redder as you used it, and you could find various spots to get it cleaned/sharpened/something to return it to its original color (which I believe increased its damage as well)...

I know this one! It's "The Super Spy"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ix6_7fpCwg&feature=related

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Wamdoodle posted:

"The Super Spy"

And the thread is two for two! Guess I'll hang out a bit and see if I can return the favor for someone.

John Mirra
Dec 18, 2005

These Loving Eyes posted:

This has to be Nighthunter.

Hells yes! Thank you.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I think I might have asked this in the past and got an answer, but I've forgotten again. There was a game that came out quite a while ago (probably the late 90s) which was a Myst-like game, with still screens and very abstract puzzles. The story was that some relative or something had died and had left his fortune to whoever could solve the puzzles in his mansion. The gimmick of the game was that there were several worlds with clues in them, and if you could solve the clues in a world you'd figure out a word, and the words from all the worlds would spell out a sentence. The first person to send the sentence to the company would actually win the fortune - a million dollars. I'm pretty sure the idea was they'd only pay out if someone solved it within a year of the release date.

I've always been fascinated to know if anyone ever did solve it.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

cmndstab posted:

I think I might have asked this in the past and got an answer, but I've forgotten again. There was a game that came out quite a while ago (probably the late 90s) which was a Myst-like game, with still screens and very abstract puzzles. The story was that some relative or something had died and had left his fortune to whoever could solve the puzzles in his mansion. The gimmick of the game was that there were several worlds with clues in them, and if you could solve the clues in a world you'd figure out a word, and the words from all the worlds would spell out a sentence. The first person to send the sentence to the company would actually win the fortune - a million dollars. I'm pretty sure the idea was they'd only pay out if someone solved it within a year of the release date.

I've always been fascinated to know if anyone ever did solve it.

Is it Treasure Quest?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

scamtank posted:

Is it Treasure Quest?

This is it, thanks!

Wow, so somebody did solve it but there's a controvery about it...

quote:

The "outcome" of this game is steeped in controversy.

Paul Wigowsky of Woodburn, Oregon submitted the "Tree of Life" solution with the 10 room quotes on May 31, 1996. Wigowsky was a schoolteacher and a student of esoteric teachings. He immediately recognized that the design of the 10-room mansion with the 22 connections between the rooms was the same identical design that he had seen in books on the Hebrew Kabbalah with the 10 Sephira and 22 paths (also 22 letters of the Hebrew alphabet). It was afterwards admitted by the producer of the game that this quester was indeed the first to submit the correct solution; however, the player was disqualified on the technicality that he did not put the required registration number in the upper right hand corner of the submission (as required by the rules of the game). [3]

Shortly afterwards, Sirius Publishing released a statement that the $1 million prize was won. They posted the solution to the game on their website. A person by the name of P. Dreizen of San Francisco, California, won the game and the cash prize in May 1998. It was speculated that the person "P. Dreizen" is actually an anagram of "End Prize." Many of the people that collaborated online wonder why the person never showed up to discussions or participated in the chat rooms. They believed a game of such complexity couldn't be solved alone.[4]

Others questioned the validity of the final solution, stating that the amount of typos, missing words and misquotes in the game made it impossible to beat. In July of 1999, the case was settled for an undisclosed amount

Huh.

What this does tell me is that 15 year old me had absolutely no hope of ever solving it, hahahaha.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

I'm extremely doubtful anyone will know what I'm talking about, but who knows. About 10-15 years ago I played a game where you found a magical book in your attic. The entirety of the game took place in this book where you solved puzzles and unlocked new pages and hints. I remember there being something to do with bugs on a few pages and you could unlock a dragon that would roam the pages or something... some puzzles with gems fitting into slots and a vault you could unlock. Anyone know what game this is? I'd love to play it for nostalgia.

e: I think it might have been titled something along the lines of "Uncle Something's Magical Book".

e: Posting this sparked my memory and I've now remembered the title of the game :).
Uncle Albert's Magical Album.
It's Windows 95/98 only though. ):

Read fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 10, 2011

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010
PC game from the mid-90s, required the disc to play but no install required. It was a golf game with a top down view, kind of like Candyland golf, but far more basic graphically. You'd click the ball and drag in the direction opposite to the direction you want to send it in, in order to swing. It was a fantasy crazy golf type of game, with four sets of 18 holes if I remember correctly. Lasers and guns were some of the obstacles, and they'd destroy the ball. Pistons too. I'm not sure if it's a legitimate game or just some shovelware from the bargain bin, but it was incredibly fun and I want to play it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

PC game from the mid-90s, required the disc to play but no install required. It was a golf game with a top down view, kind of like Candyland golf, but far more basic graphically. You'd click the ball and drag in the direction opposite to the direction you want to send it in, in order to swing. It was a fantasy crazy golf type of game, with four sets of 18 holes if I remember correctly. Lasers and guns were some of the obstacles, and they'd destroy the ball. Pistons too. I'm not sure if it's a legitimate game or just some shovelware from the bargain bin, but it was incredibly fun and I want to play it again.

Zany Golf, maybe?