Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

It's daddy shithead, where's the bourbon?
Weird stuff. Name I go by on the game is and I can see you just fine. I'll see if you can get something from me.

edit. Sent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
And there you are, presuming you are indeed Justin Tremont. I notice most friends show up with both their Fallen London & Twitter names, some do not display the latter.

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

Yep that's me! Well that is another mystery solved. :)

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Night Circus question: I try to invite Twitter friends but they're not showing up, do I not understand what a Twitter friend is? Is it different from following/being followed?

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
I think it works because I invited my twitter friends and one stopped following me.

Also I got an invite from someone else.

Someone please follow Mistikman01 on twitter and let me invite you to Night Circus. I need Reveur ranks, and as far as I can tell that's the only way to get them.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

There is going to be a massive scramble here to recruit each other, I can tell.

Mozi posted:

Night Circus question: I try to invite Twitter friends but they're not showing up, do I not understand what a Twitter friend is? Is it different from following/being followed?

I think it's pretty buggy, honestly. For some reason I was only able to invite people from A-N, N-Z got cut off the list. I invited my other account but it didn't even show up on my Associates list. :(

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I just used a few spam email addresses I have to create a few accounts to give myself some rank.

It's stupid, because in order to gain rank, you have to have someone not already playing the game following you, and they have to join the game by clicking the join link in your Night Circus profile.

If you invite them and they join without doing it from your profile, you get poo poo.

I am curious if you can gain rank by having people not following you on twitter join the game.

http://www.nightcircus.co.uk/Profile/MistikMan01

Someone click that and join the game from the link below my profile. I want to see if that gives me rank.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I got my other twitter account to join via my main, but it didn't affect my rank and didn't even show up in my Associates list. This is in addition to the second half of my contacts not even showing up, which really sucks because all the people I'm actually real-pals with are low on the alphabet.

It's a retarded mechanic and I hope they get rid of it once a lot of people are playing or the stupid book comes out. They are just going to end up with a fuckton of inactive dummy accounts on their system.

e: I've discovered why no one can increase my rank. My name has a space in the middle, and the game doesn't recognise those. :doh: No way to change, either.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Sep 8, 2011

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It's an unusual marketing device, but 'forcing' people to take it viral like that really isn't doing them any favours. They're rolling content out slowly too-- when I tried to start the second visit a few days ago, it told me that it wasn't ready yet. That's really not a good sign.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

That's because it's just a (very nicely written) advertisement for the creator's book. Annoying the poo poo out of potential customers is a bad idea though. I was sorta on the fence whether to buy, because the prose in the game is quite nice, but now I'm frustrated so gently caress it.

Yes I am childish.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'd have to agree, The Night Circus game has good atmosphere for an elaborate advertisement but its execution leaves something to be desired. Be sure to drink your ovaltine. If it's any consolation, the rewards for higher levels of Rêveur aren't that much better than the regular ones.

Apkallu
May 8, 2007

Corridor posted:

e: I've discovered why no one can increase my rank. My name has a space in the middle, and the game doesn't recognise those. :doh: No way to change, either.

Wonderful. I just joined at some goon's behest yesterday, and I'm in the same boat. If it won't work, don't allow spaces, dammit.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

The spaces issue is fixed according to the twitter of the guy that runs it.

Also, if you have someone officially following you (they will show up in your diary) then them merely playing the game slowly raises your rank. You don't need to rely on constantly recruiting new people, it's enough to just get 1-2 and for them to play the game regularly.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Anyone know about the fate-locked portion of the 4th Coil? Specifically, what creature must I breed to get the toadbeast? (toadbeast being the only pet with a higher value than any bazaar-bought creature)

Angry Guacamole
Dec 2, 2007

Oh God run away
Welp, I'm in. Twit's MysteriousMyste, name's Flighty Broad.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Mistikman posted:

The spaces issue is fixed according to the twitter of the guy that runs it.

Also, if you have someone officially following you (they will show up in your diary) then them merely playing the game slowly raises your rank. You don't need to rely on constantly recruiting new people, it's enough to just get 1-2 and for them to play the game regularly.

Oh good. They also fixed the problem where I couldn't view page 2 of my contacts.

Here's my link if anyone feels like upping my rank. I think you need to be following my @cyberasylum twitter though.

http://www.nightcircus.co.uk/Profile/Timony%20Cutwell

e: Trying to grind Watchful in Echo Bazaar. I'm at 90 and seem to have tapped out the University. Is there somewhere I can go to raise it further without having to equip ridiculous hats etc?

Corridor fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 8, 2011

Twilly
Apr 7, 2009

Corridor posted:

e: Trying to grind Watchful in Echo Bazaar. I'm at 90 and seem to have tapped out the University. Is there somewhere I can go to raise it further without having to equip ridiculous hats etc?

The next Watchful "hub" is Flute Street, but you need to pay Fate to go there. The content is pretty interesting in terms of story, but you won't gain any special rewards for visiting(with one or two exceptions which are again Fate locked). It is a great place for grinding Watchful though as you can do so without incurring Nightmares.

Otherwise there are some Watchful options in storylets on islands in the Zee, and Wilmot's end offers some high-level Watchful paths as well.

thanthos
Mar 22, 2001

Corridor posted:

Try the Unfinished Business in Ladybones Street if you haven't already: the rewards there are fairly good. Other than that, I like grinding at Wilmot's End like the goon above me mentioned, mainly because you can always use the Dramatic Tension gained there to acquire stuff from your Lodgings vis-a-vis the assassination (if you're a Person of Some Importance) or whatever Wilmot's End is actually offering.

Ouroborus777
Mar 23, 2011

"There were no survivors, including the puppy."
Still in need of boxed cats if anybody wants to trade.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Ouroborus777 posted:

Still in need of boxed cats if anybody wants to trade.

What's yer handle?

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

Any kittie boxes I get will be sent to you Ouroborus, thanks for all the ones you have sent me btw! It's weird though, I haven't had any box opportunity cards in the past week or so.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Does anyone with a lot of Shadowy know how long the peach brandy storylet in Spite sticks around? (I have Shadowy 63 right now and it's still here) It's been invaluable for grinding Dangerous and I don't want to lose it, my precious...

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

I have shadowy around 115 and it's still there.

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

Yeah I don't know why they haven't gimped that yet but I am very glad they haven't. In other news great plant battle Ouroborus, do you still need boxes?

boatiemathmo
Dec 12, 2004
I'm just getting to the end of the University content - or at least I think I am, I'm nearly done with investigating the death of the Senior Reader in _____ at around 115 Watchful.

At the end I have to finger a suspect. I've read ahead a little on the options, and I don't fully understand the consequences of them. Fingering the Provost for example makes me 'unwelcome at the University', while the Consumptive Cryptozoologist doesn't. What does this actually do? It looks like picking the CC is by far the better choice, as it also gives more cash reward.

Also, it then looks like I skip straight to Featuring in Tales of the University 27, and then to 40 in one move. Is this accurate?

Maybe I'm over-thinking things, but I'm very aware that I only get one shot at this and don't want to paint myself into a corner on it.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

boatiemathmo posted:

I'm just getting to the end of the University content - or at least I think I am, I'm nearly done with investigating the death of the Senior Reader in _____ at around 115 Watchful.

At the end I have to finger a suspect. I've read ahead a little on the options, and I don't fully understand the consequences of them. Fingering the Provost for example makes me 'unwelcome at the University', while the Consumptive Cryptozoologist doesn't. What does this actually do? It looks like picking the CC is by far the better choice, as it also gives more cash reward.

Also, it then looks like I skip straight to Featuring in Tales of the University 27, and then to 40 in one move. Is this accurate?

Maybe I'm over-thinking things, but I'm very aware that I only get one shot at this and don't want to paint myself into a corner on it.

Naming the Provost will get you barred from the University, naming the CC will get you a larger reward and keep you in your position... if you can live with the decision. It depends on your character, and it's said content to-come will allow you to return to the university, by the way.

boatiemathmo
Dec 12, 2004

Not So Fast posted:

Naming the Provost will get you barred from the University, naming the CC will get you a larger reward and keep you in your position... if you can live with the decision. It depends on your character, and it's said content to-come will allow you to return to the university, by the way.

Thanks. After I've done this bit Is there any University content that comes after it? The wiki just lists a placeholder than gives 52 Cryptic Clues a go.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

boatiemathmo posted:

Thanks. After I've done this bit Is there any University content that comes after it? The wiki just lists a placeholder than gives 52 Cryptic Clues a go.

Not yet, the next stuff is mostly Person of Some Importance / Sailing.

boatiemathmo
Dec 12, 2004
Thanks for confirming all that. I'm going to go with naming the Provost then, as I'm trying a 'moral' playthrough - good to know I haven't totally ruined myself in doing so.

Cheers enormously for the help, really appreciate it.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Who wants kitties? I keep getting them.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
Just started playing Echo Bazaar, my (brand new) twitter handle is @CK07SA - should I start following people from the OP or is that completely out of date? This game seems fun but I don't know a single other person that plays it, and I'd like to be able to utilize the social aspects.

boatiemathmo
Dec 12, 2004
Note: This post is about end-game stuff once you are a Person of Some Importance. Spoilered in case this doesn't interest you.
Has anyone heard anything about when (if?) they're implementing storylets that will let you return the University/Empress's Court after being kicked out?

I completed both of these storylines, and now slightly regret it as by far the best places to farm Whispered Secrets, Cryptic Clues and Drops of Prisoner's Honey were in there - severely limited the speed with which I can accrue stuff from the Bazaar side-streets and my 4-card lodgings. Which seems a shame. Beginning to wish I hadn't sold all those Cryptic Clues I got running the University stories now.

thanthos
Mar 22, 2001

I'm looking for people to plant battle! Right now I'm at a Contest of Cunning, so I'll greatly appreciate it if people at a similar level will come cross pollinate with my green lodger. http://twitter.com/!/Hypnic_Jerk

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Seems they finally got around to nerfing the peach brandy storylet, now the healing option is based on luck rather than shadowy.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone else sprung for the extended Labyrinth of Tigers content? I thought there was supposed to be some plottish content in there, but so far I've bred a hound of dreams and a corresponding ocelot and only seen one regular-bordered Opportunity card to do with the former.

Mr. Spooky
Jul 1, 2003

I was allowed this account on the condition that I never post.

Bieeardo posted:

Has anyone else sprung for the extended Labyrinth of Tigers content? I thought there was supposed to be some plottish content in there, but so far I've bred a hound of dreams and a corresponding ocelot and only seen one regular-bordered Opportunity card to do with the former.

Go breed up a Tomb-Lion. Cool stuff happens if you do.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Aha, thanks! That's the only one I haven't managed to do again yet-- few opportunities for scandal of late.

Mr. Spooky
Jul 1, 2003

I was allowed this account on the condition that I never post.

Bieeardo posted:

Aha, thanks! That's the only one I haven't managed to do again yet-- few opportunities for scandal of late.

Do you have a Counterfeit Head of John the Baptist? That can get you exiled right off.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
No, I used that the last time I was hunting Tomb Lions. I did remember I had a crate of Black Wings Absinthe, and drinking that while wearing a Modish Bonnet sent me off post-haste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I just started playing. This thing is pretty cool, but I don't know what to do with this wine and moon-pearls and "rostygold" and whatnot.