Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mike Tysons CARFAX posted:

I'm looking for a part time college job and came across this on craigslist. I'm not necessarily interested in the job (whatever the gently caress it is) but are these things legit, or are they just spam?

What's the deal?
Almost certainly door-to-door sales. The tip-off is not saying what the job actually is, since no one will ever willingly answer a door-to-door sales ad. Also the "no phone calls just come to our indoctrination seminar and get pumped up for success actually misery"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Yeah, I'd bet that it's some sort of MLM. You buy like $200 worth of knives from them, then try to sell them for $300. (When you can't sell them, welp, poo poo sucks, you're out $200.)

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

I'm looking for a part time college job and came across this on craigslist. I'm not necessarily interested in the job (whatever the gently caress it is) but are these things legit, or are they just spam?

What's the deal?

Also this.
http://jobsearch.about.com/od/entryleveljobs/a/entrylevelscam.htm

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
My father went to sell his record collection today, and the man at the record store said that one in particular was valuable. It is James Brown's It's a Man's Man's World, in Stereo, King Records # 985. The sleeve is missing, but the record itself is in good shape. He has no clue what the value is, so I decided to ask the Internet.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Sinestro posted:

My father went to sell his record collection today, and the man at the record store said that one in particular was valuable. It is James Brown's It's a Man's Man's World, in Stereo, King Records # 985. The sleeve is missing, but the record itself is in good shape. He has no clue what the value is, so I decided to ask the Internet.

The most valuable one is $75 on eBay which has everything. Did you search the various sites like CL and eBay?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

What's the deal?

They want you to sell steak knives or magic berry juice door to door. Find the MLM thread. The "principals only no recruiters" thing sounds exactly like their speak from what I've learned by reading that. They might lock you in a room and not let you leave.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

I'm not sure if this is where the question should go, but I've lost my power cord for my Freeagent Desktop external hard drive and I'm looking for a new one. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about electronics. The plug looks like this:

Can I get a replacement, is that a generic type of power cord? Thanks for any help.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That's a pretty generic connector. But you need to know if it's AC or DC, voltage, and current (shown in amps or milliamps). If it's DC, you also need to know the tip polarity (polarity of the center pin).

Looks like the Freeagent Desk (this is what you have, right?) uses 12V DC, 2 amp (or 2000 mA, same difference), tip positive, but double check with Seagate first to be safe.

This is what you're looking for, taken from Seagate's support site. Again, double check to be safe, it may be printed on the bottom.

edit: This looks like it'll work, though the image is too small to see what the center polarity is. This one costs a bit more but looks to be identical to the original.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 6, 2011

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!

What's the deal?

Yeah, door to door sales, possibly to businesses. I had a friend who answered one of these once and sold lovely American flags and statuettes and stuff like that to little convenience stores. Thank god he finished his degree.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I went to buy a mattress and asked about financing options since an unexpected car repair bill knocked out that cash I had saved up for it. My financing request was denied due to having little credit history so I was curious on how to go about building up a credit history or even a good card to apply for

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Check here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3256838

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
How do I get a price sticker off of a book cover? It's bonded on there good but is there any way to weaken the adhesive?

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

How do I get a price sticker off of a book cover? It's bonded on there good but is there any way to weaken the adhesive?

Hair dryer. Heat it up and peel it off while it's hot.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Squishy posted:

Put the book in the freezer in a zip loc back for a couple of hours and use an eraser on it.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Sizzlechest posted:

Hair dryer. Heat it up and peel it off while it's hot.

I'm totally entertained that the two answers are almost exactly opposite. ;)

That said, the hair-dryer method was what I used when I worked in a bookstore. We accepted used books and occasionally had to remove other stores' stickers, EX LIBRIS plates, etc. I'd use the heat gun from the shrink-wrapper, but a hair dryer should work just fine.

Another unrelated trick I learned, for anyone who buys CDs: to get the "dogbone" sticker off the top of the case, just pop the bottom hinge of the jewel case apart (don't break it, just lift the edge of the cover so that the hinge comes apart) and flip the cover over the top of the base. You can peel the "dogbone" right off.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

I'm looking for an old photo of Stephen Fry, in which he's wearing his classical tweed blazer and may or may not have a pipe on his person. I believe he's skipping/walking in some sort of courtyard/quad/by an old building, left of center.

This is all I recall, but it's a fairly well-known photo. Can anyone lend a link?

Rhizoid
May 8, 2003

Takifugu!

Travakian posted:

I'm looking for an old photo of Stephen Fry, in which he's wearing his classical tweed blazer and may or may not have a pipe on his person. I believe he's skipping/walking in some sort of courtyard/quad/by an old building, left of center.

This is all I recall, but it's a fairly well-known photo. Can anyone lend a link?

I searched tineye for a text-free version, but clearly I failed.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I'm a British citizen and currently in the Pacific Northwest. I need my 2nd Hep A shot. I'm heading up to Vancouver today, are shots cheaper in Canada or would it be better in Seattle/the west coast somewhere?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
If you file a small auto-insurance claim, how long does your insurance premium usually stay elevated, in the United States?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
My mouse middle-click all of a sudden stopped working in Firefox to open links in new tabs. This is my most oft-used mouse function in Firefox so it's pretty annoying that it just broke. I'm not sure if the new Firefox 6.0 caused this, but I'm pretty sure I updated it and it worked fine. It just stopped working today.

Locking/protecting tabs also doesn't do anything anymore. I could left-click on a link before and a new tab would open, but now the locked/protected tab acts like a normal tab.

I'm using TabMixPlus as well. Nothing says it needs to update. Should I just wait for a fix? Middle-click still closes tabs and reopens last closed tab when used in the tab bar.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Dudebro posted:

My mouse middle-click all of a sudden stopped working in Firefox to open links in new tabs. This is my most oft-used mouse function in Firefox so it's pretty annoying that it just broke. I'm not sure if the new Firefox 6.0 caused this, but I'm pretty sure I updated it and it worked fine. It just stopped working today.

Locking/protecting tabs also doesn't do anything anymore. I could left-click on a link before and a new tab would open, but now the locked/protected tab acts like a normal tab.

I'm using TabMixPlus as well. Nothing says it needs to update. Should I just wait for a fix? Middle-click still closes tabs and reopens last closed tab when used in the tab bar.

What actually happens when you middle-click a link in a non-protected tab?

What happens when you disable TabMixPlus?

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

some texas redneck posted:

That's a pretty generic connector. But you need to know if it's AC or DC, voltage, and current (shown in amps or milliamps). If it's DC, you also need to know the tip polarity (polarity of the center pin).

Looks like the Freeagent Desk (this is what you have, right?) uses 12V DC, 2 amp (or 2000 mA, same difference), tip positive, but double check with Seagate first to be safe.

This is what you're looking for, taken from Seagate's support site. Again, double check to be safe, it may be printed on the bottom.

edit: This looks like it'll work, though the image is too small to see what the center polarity is. This one costs a bit more but looks to be identical to the original.

Thank you. You're awesome.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

Besesoth posted:

What actually happens when you middle-click a link in a non-protected tab?

What happens when you disable TabMixPlus?

Nothing happens in a non-protected tab. The middle-click stopped opening links in new tabs in every instance.

I disabled TMP and middle-click works again, but I no longer have the nice multi-row tab bar :( And the new links open beside the foreground tab in the tab bar rather than at the end of the tabs. Not a huge deal I guess since I can just move the foreground tab to the end if I need to open a bunch of new links. I'm the guy that likes having 30+ tabs open.

edit: I've found the solution :eng101:

http://tmp.garyr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15046

Apparently the latest grease monkey fucks it up for some reason although it's a problem with TMP really, not grease monkey. I just disabled grease monkey (not sure what it was doing for me), but you can downgrade to the previous version.

All is well again.

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 6, 2011

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

Travakian posted:

Google Image Search, "stephen fry skipping", page 2.

Chakattack!
May 23, 2004
95% Cheesecake
Hope this is the right place for this - I had a look in PYF and here but it's late and this seemed like the best option. Direct me elsewhere if that's not the case!

Ages ago I read on SA a story some guy had written about attending a furry convention that was really well-written and incredibly depressing, detailing his experiences there and ending up in a hotel room with a bunch of other sad strange furries and maybe ending in an attempted orgy. I remember there was a lot of detail about his rabbit costume and wearing black make-up underneath it, and I'm sure one of the central things that kept getting repeated was him saying "My name is..." - does anyone know what I'm talking about? It was so well-written and I'd love to read it again. Hope someone can help.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I bought something on ebay on the 13th of last month. I don't often use ebay, and I think this is the first time I've ordered something from the USA (I'm in Australia).

On the 16th, I got an email saying the item had been shipped. It obviously hasn't arrived yet, and I got curious and checked out the USPS tracking number on the package.

I got them to email me what they have so far, and this is the entirity of the tracking so far (I removed the label number).

code:
Current Track & Confirm e-mail information provided by the U.S. Postal Service.

Label Number: <<removed>>

Service Type: International Letters and Cards

Shipment Activity        Location                               Date & Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shipment Accepted        OKLAHOMA CITY OK 73107                 08/16/11 11:30am

Electronic Shipping                                             08/15/11
Info Received

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"International letters and cards" can't be right, can it? It's a box. Also, from the USPS site, it seems to say that the next step in the process is "Processed through sort facility", something I would really have expected to happen in almost a month. Although I hear USPS is generally a lovely service.

Did I just get ripped off? I'm not worried, yet, but if this is s sign of bullshit I guess I'll start hassling the seller.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
The sort facility is where they sort the mail and decide what goes where. If that's taking place a MONTH after the package is sent, then there's something very wrong.

UPS and USPS are different.

When my mother sends packages from Pennsylvania (east coast) to Japan, it takes a week or less to arrive. Unless you're ordering something humongous that will be sent by freight, a month is way too long.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah, figured that. I'll contact the seller, but at this point I suspect the issue is with USPS not the seller - I mean, they've hardly faked a tracking number, right?

I guess some Aussie dude complaining to USPS isn't going to loving help, either, but it will be an interesting experience, I guess.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

AlphaDog posted:

USPS

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think most international parcels are tracked beyond the US border, so that may be why it seems to still be 'stuck' there.

That said, 3 weeks is a very long time and it should have arrived by now, but sometimes it does take up to a month for stuff to get to Australia. I've had to wait that long in the past, for sure.

I'd give it another week and maybe check your local post office as well.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Thanks guys, it's not worrying me that it hasn't arrived - stuff usually shows up in 2-6 weeks depending on gently caress knows what. It just worried me that it saying that it's sitting in the sort facility and that it's apparently a letter or card.

I politely asked the seller if they could tell me what's going on, so I guess we'll see what happens. Worst case scenario I'm out 20 bucks, so I'm not overly concerned.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

As for why it's a letter: "Letter" doesn't mean the same to mailing companies as it does to most mortals. I think the Danish definition of a letter is something like "not more than 2kg (4ish pounds) and not too obnoxiously big", which means it could still be a computer case sized box.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

AlphaDog posted:

I bought something on ebay on the 13th of last month. I don't often use ebay, and I think this is the first time I've ordered something from the USA (I'm in Australia).

Have you tried putting the tracking number into the Australia Post website? I've ordered from the US several times before and most times the same tracking number from the USPS would work there too.

TomSellek
Jan 31, 2008
Arrogant, dumb, meat headed and stubborn. Please disregard and move on.
Could someone tell me what this gif is from, and does the guy on the roof get killed or what?

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/800807/Ducks-Demolished_medium.gif

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

e: removed

Teeter fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Sep 7, 2011

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

TomSellek posted:

Could someone tell me what this gif is from, and does the guy on the roof get killed or what?

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/800807/Ducks-Demolished_medium.gif

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3371409&pagenumber=192&perpage=40#post394501102

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Pogo the Clown posted:

Have you tried putting the tracking number into the Australia Post website? I've ordered from the US several times before and most times the same tracking number from the USPS would work there too.

Hey, that's weird. I guess it found the item becasue it displayed a page, but the "status" field is blank, the "tracking details" reads "no events found" and the product/service reads "international".

So I don't know what's going on.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I live in the US and have had people email me USPS tracking numbers for stuff, I've never seen one say anything more than than the 2 lines you're seeing.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 7, 2011

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Some months ago (April-June) I found a service that could email you based on various news or other triggers. I set it up to send messages to my phone when it was raining in DC so I'd remember to grab my umbrella (live 20 miles out).

This is the one of the messages:

Problem is that it sends an email anytime there is a weather update with the word rain in it. Also, I've forgotten the service and for some reason it doesn't have any unsubscribe or other link in the email.

Does anyone know what service this is, or should I just filter "It's Light/Heavy Rain! Get Umbrella." emails to my trash?

I remember that it was extremely easy to set up (just put in "to" and "From" email addresses, pick a premade trigger or make one, customize message). I've searched my email for those months for "verify", "log in" or "Sign Up" but found nothing.

My email address has been posted multiple times on this site so I'm not worried about that. "Products of an Idle Mind" is my website and I probably picked that as a company name, and don't have a wordpress plugin that can explain this behavior.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Wagonburner posted:

I live in the US and have had people email me USPS tracking numbers for stuff, I've never seen one say anything more than than the 2 lines you're seeing.

Oh, cool, I won't worry too much then. I was just sort of hoping hte item would be here by the end of this week, but I guess probably not. It's all good, it wasn't super important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I have a routine dentist appointment tomorrow and have forgotten all the rules, how long should I go without eating before the appointment?