Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Anyone want a factory sealed Sony prs-350?

Figured I would check here before hitting the mart forum.

Got it for a song, selling it for, you guess it, a song. 120$ shipped. It's a great ereader and I will loving cut you :ese: if you come near my 650, but I couldn't stand to see it sitting there on the shelf all lonely.

If needed, I can make a thread for it with pics and whatnots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Ddraig posted:

I've had the same problem. It was a bit too stiff, then it sort of turned normal again. Probably nothing huge to worry about.

Yeah, had the same thing happen. As long as it keeps working though, oh well

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Weird, I've had the stiff power button thing too. Mine changes though, like when I first got my Kindle it worked normally, then it started doingthis kind of, push it over and sloooowly slide back thing, and now it's kinda sticking when I push it over, but snapping right back.

What the hell. I mean, it doesn't really bother me-like the poster above, gently caress it as long as it works, but it's kind of an odd thing to be such a widespread issue.

dmccaff
Nov 8, 2010
My kindle also has the power switch thing. It was fine at first I think then it got really sticky and hard to turn on/off. Now it's snapping back when I use it. I keep it in a really clean area so I don't think it has anything to do with how I use and store it.

dmccaff fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Aug 31, 2011

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
So my Kindle died, screen froze up and only a tiny corner of it refreshes and shows text. No big deal, I called up Amazon and they're going to ship me a new one and then I ship them the busted one back. The only problem is - the screen it's stuck on is a custom screensaver I installed. Are they going to take one look at it and charge me for the new Kindle, or will they not really care? I haven't done anything to it other than install the custom screensaver hack.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Popular Human posted:

So my Kindle died, screen froze up and only a tiny corner of it refreshes and shows text. No big deal, I called up Amazon and they're going to ship me a new one and then I ship them the busted one back. The only problem is - the screen it's stuck on is a custom screensaver I installed. Are they going to take one look at it and charge me for the new Kindle, or will they not really care? I haven't done anything to it other than install the custom screensaver hack.

Amazon are generally okay with the jailbreak/screensaver hack.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Does anyone know if the Kindle only does the auto-syncing (and page tracking) for books bought on Amazon itself?

I want to download a free eBook and read it on my Kindle, but it doesn't seem to sync it across all of my devices, much less track what page I'm on. I find myself spending a lot of time reading on my iPhone while I'm at work... uhhh, getting business done. Does anyone know of a way I can get this book to sync across devices?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

syphon posted:

Does anyone know if the Kindle only does the auto-syncing (and page tracking) for books bought on Amazon itself?

I want to download a free eBook and read it on my Kindle, but it doesn't seem to sync it across all of my devices, much less track what page I'm on. I find myself spending a lot of time reading on my iPhone while I'm at work... uhhh, getting business done. Does anyone know of a way I can get this book to sync across devices?

Yeah, as far as I can tell it will only do it with stuff from Amazon's website.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

syphon posted:

If you manually get the file into your iPhone Kindle app, it should sync your progress. I didn't think it would, but I tried it with my Android phone and a book I got from Project Guttenberg and it worked perfectly.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Popular Human posted:

When I had my Kindle 2 sent in fro a broken screen a few year back, I'd had that weird chinese replacement OS on it (for EPUB capability and different fonts etc) and Amazon didn't charge me anything for that being done. Custom screensaver is far less intensive a change so I wouldn't worry.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Is there a way to manually get the 3G Kindle to find 3G signals? mine seems to think that it can only get wi-fi for some reason (and yes it actually is a 3G one; the model info confirms it).

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

computer parts posted:

Is there a way to manually get the 3G Kindle to find 3G signals? mine seems to think that it can only get wi-fi for some reason (and yes it actually is a 3G one; the model info confirms it).

I had this problem with a replacement one. Turns out that they forgot to activate it server-side. They toggled something on their end and it connected immediately. You can type 311 at the settings screen to scan for networks to make sure the radio isn't broken.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Ara posted:

Nah, I don't know about Calibre plugins, but I have a program that converts azw files downloaded through Kindle for Windows to mobi files and even renames them away from the 5729565611.azw or whatever to the proper book name automatically.

I picked up a Touchpad and am interested in starting an ebook library. The Kindle app isn't very good though, I prefer preader so I guess I need to strip the DRM out of Amazon ebook purchases? What's the best way to do this?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

computer parts posted:

Did you tell it to log in to a local wifi network ever? If you do that it will refuse to use 3G unless you leave the signal area of known wifi networks.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

trandorian posted:

Did you tell it to log in to a local wifi network ever? If you do that it will refuse to use 3G unless you leave the signal area of known wifi networks.

Yeah, I did that too. Actually, I just recently moved as well so I'm not within range of anything (familiar).

Also, apparently after going through it with an amazon rep, I'm getting a new Kindle, so it's whatever.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Do you guys think that there will be a new e-reader available in the UK that is better than the Kindle 3 before the end of the year?

I'm considering buying one now, but I'm worried that something better will be released as soon as I hit confirm.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

With Amazon releasing its tablet in a few months, I doubt they would launch a new e-ink kindle for a while. Unless they go with a color e-ink screen, I really don't see how Amazon can improve the current kindle, I say buy it.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Cartoon Man posted:

With Amazon releasing its tablet in a few months, I doubt they would launch a new e-ink kindle for a while. Unless they go with a color e-ink screen, I really don't see how Amazon can improve the current kindle, I say buy it.

Went for it. Quite excited.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Chas McGill posted:

Went for it. Quite excited.

I'm in the same boat as you. Buying a kindle today for a vacation next week, but I've been holding off just in case...

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I see so many Kindle 2s on the subway. People tend to hold on to them for a while. You guys won't be disappointed. Love the hell out of mine and laugh at my girlfriend who is struggling to read A Dance With Dragons on the subway because it's so huge.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Drunk Tomato posted:

I'm in the same boat as you. Buying a kindle today for a vacation next week, but I've been holding off just in case...

I think it comes down to reading experience and form factor rather than any fancy stuff that tablets do better anyway. So long as I can read books in comfort it isn't like the technology can become "obsolete".

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

LamoTheKid posted:

Love the hell out of mine and laugh at my girlfriend who is struggling to read A Dance With Dragons on the subway because it's so huge.

Yeah, one of the main reasons I got a Kindle was so I could read newly released books on the train without carrying a huge hardback with me everywhere.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

Cartoon Man posted:

I really don't see how Amazon can improve the current kindle
E-Ink Touchscreen. Get rid of that stupid keyboard, which I've used maybe twice since I bought the thing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

syphon posted:

E-Ink Touchscreen. Get rid of that stupid keyboard, which I've used maybe twice since I bought the thing.

Sure, if you want to make it a worse device for a lot of other people.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Yeah, I'm really not interested in touch screen. I don't see how it would improve functionality and I wouldn't want fingerprints on the screen.

(I love the touchscreen on my Galaxy S, but I never read anything on it)

Spug
Dec 10, 2006

Then turn not pale, beloved snail, but come and join the dance.

Chas McGill posted:

Yeah, I'm really not interested in touch screen. I don't see how it would improve functionality and I wouldn't want fingerprints on the screen.

(I love the touchscreen on my Galaxy S, but I never read anything on it)
That's not e-ink though. There are touch screen e-ink devices, like the Sony Reader.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Spug posted:

That's not e-ink though. There are touch screen e-ink devices, like the Sony Reader.

Which doesn't address lack of functionality added or the fact that anything you touch eventually gets more marks on it.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
My E-Ink screen doesn't really show fingerprints, but I'll concede that's a pretty valid point. However, what lack of functionality would there be with an on-screen keyboard instead of a physical one?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I'd like touchscreen for navigating menus and the kindle store, but I'd still want the keyboard (even if if it's just because that extra space makes it so the screen is in the perfect reading position when it's balanced on my chest or whatever). I'd also still use the buttons for turning pages I'd imagine. Touchscreens are great for some stuff, but not everything should have them just because it's all a bit of a fad at the moment.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

syphon posted:

My E-Ink screen doesn't really show fingerprints, but I'll concede that's a pretty valid point. However, what lack of functionality would there be with an on-screen keyboard instead of a physical one?

The physical one allows you to type faster than the onscreen one could, while also not requiring any additional power overhead to detect touch. Additionally, the physical keyboard is always present, so I can start typing on any screen to search etc without having to invoke a menu or option to bring up the onscreen.

DirtyCheeseburgers
Apr 15, 2003

College Slice
My Kobo I got for Christmas broke, and I got frustrated after waiting for nearly a month for a replacement since filing a support ticket with them. So yesterday I ordered a Kindle, and today it's here!

As a present for myself for getting a new job this week, I also got the lighted case.

Anyway, I decided on the Kindle after reading a bunch of this thread. So, thanks thread :)

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It just arrived. Haven't opened the packaging yet because it is really well designed. Other electronics sellers need to take note and swap out clamshells for lovely cardboard boxes.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Is there any homebrew floating around out there for the kindle? I'm thinking it would make a rather neat planner/organizer (nothing too fancy), and it would be nice to not have to lug another book to college.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ddraig posted:

Is there any homebrew floating around out there for the kindle? I'm thinking it would make a rather neat planner/organizer (nothing too fancy), and it would be nice to not have to lug another book to college.

You might want to ask in the gadget forum thread.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3366619&pagenumber=95#pti39

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Haven't been so jazzed about a device since I got my Iaudio X5 back in the day. So rad. Gonna put 500 custom screensavers on this thing when I get home. My only disappointment is that you only get a couple of dictionaries on startup without even any classics to demo the device, though that will soon be rectified.

Very impressed so far, though the page transition isn't quite as smooth as I'd hoped. I'll get used to it, I'm sure!

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

trandorian posted:

Additionally, the physical keyboard is always present, so I can start typing on any screen to search etc without having to invoke a menu or option to bring up the onscreen.

I love my Kindle and like the keyboard, but when I compare the amount of times that I've typed a search (probably like 10) versus the amount of times I've scrolled through the rows to look up a word in the dictionary (a shitload), a touchscreen seems pretty appealing.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
I use the arrow keys to scroll to a word nearly every page when reading the classics with old english words and it's really not that hard. Doesn't really necessitate a touch screen. The only reason I'd like a touch screen is to get rid of the clutter of the keys so it looks more streamlined.

I think eventually the Kindle will be colour e-ink + touchscreen when there is both a demand for it and the technology to do it on the cheap.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Some poo poo already seems like it takes so long on the Kindle that I don't think it can afford anything else bogging down its performance. With the terribly underdeveloped organization/sorting options for books I end up searching for poo poo all the time, and it takes ages to get a result.

I'm sure it will all get added in there eventually.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 9, 2011

Newtie
Dec 4, 2008

Chas McGill posted:

Very impressed so far, though the page transition isn't quite as smooth as I'd hoped. I'll get used to it, I'm sure!

You probably will. I got mine a month ago & I don't even see the page transition anymore when reading, my brain is still in high gear following on from the previous page. My own main niggle, as has been mentioned, is the woeful organisational facilities. There are third-party collection managers that make organising several hundred books much easier, but it'd be nice to have a better solution on the device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

My only complaint is the screensavers. I'd really prefer it if it'd show the cover of the book you have loaded instead of the default rotating ones, or use the defaults if you're not loaded into a book. I'm getting pretty tired of seeing Emily Dickinson's ugly mug, although Virginia Woolf kinda makes up for it ;-*

I could jailbreak it, but I dislike jacking with my electronics.

• Locked thread