Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rabid Anti-Dentite! posted:

dropping in a newly made bridge panel (160 feet long)

Where are you guys based out of? Looks like out west, Arizonaish? Anyways, MofW guys are awesome. I have made friends with quite a few of the guys in my terminal. A couple cases of beer goes a long way to fix a run through switch.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Something I've always wondered about train tracks: How do you ensure that they are level or on an even grade when installing them? Is the earth under the ballast dug out level, or are the ties set in the ballast at a certain level? What equipment is used? A laser level?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nerobro posted:

Every 28 days huh? Does it get cranky, want ice cream, and the company of other locomotives for a week too?

It spews ATF for no apparent reason.

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009

open24hours posted:

Something I've always wondered about train tracks: How do you ensure that they are level or on an even grade when installing them? Is the earth under the ballast dug out level, or are the ties set in the ballast at a certain level? What equipment is used? A laser level?

The ballast is just rock that is piled on top of the ground, when the railroads where first built, soil tests where done to ensure ground conditions could support the weight. As far as level goes, there are a few different ways to ensure that everything is within tolerance. A "G" car, or geometry car is one of the most common, basically a vehicle that drives along the rail and uses GPS and other computers to make sure the tracks are level, curves have a high and a low rail, with the low rail generally being the inside track. A machine that looks like a backhoe will ride along the tracks and will grab low ties with forks and scoop rock under that tie until it is level, that machine, called a ballast regulator, or tamper, pulls a cart that will show what is level and what isn't. You can also tamp by hand, but that sucks. On the picture that shows the rail removed and the ground dug out, the rail is simply placed on top of that, bolted to the existing rail, then the front loaders will drop ballast in the dug out area, then a tamper will follow behind and level everything out. It is pretty cool to watch. Let me know if there are any pictures you want, and ask any questions you have, if I don't know, I will find out.

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Where are you guys based out of? Looks like out west, Arizonaish? Anyways, MofW guys are awesome. I have made friends with quite a few of the guys in my terminal. A couple cases of beer goes a long way to fix a run through switch.....

I am in the California division, I have been traveling all over lately, Barstow, Redlands, Pico Rivera, Bakersfield, Needles. Kind of taking the tour of California right now lol. Where are you stationed, the TY@E guys I have meant are real cool. We were joking around today about getting some favors in return for fixing bent switch points and what not.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
A thing happened.
http://www.outlawperformance.com/uploads/51612904.3gp

Everything I know about it is that this is a Union Pacific Maintenance of Ways hopper car accidentally rolling freely at high speed. The guys you see in the foreground are maintenance of ways employees. The truck shadowing it on the highway is maintenance of ways employees.

The items up for being BS scuttlebutt are:
That this was recently
It was recorded by an employee's cellphone
It happened here in Wyoming
That the car was being clocked at 74 mph
That the car derailed on a 60 mph curve

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
In the green room.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rabid Anti-Dentite! posted:

I am in the California division, I have been traveling all over lately, Barstow, Redlands, Pico Rivera, Bakersfield, Needles. Kind of taking the tour of California right now lol. Where are you stationed, the TY@E guys I have meant are real cool. We were joking around today about getting some favors in return for fixing bent switch points and what not.

I work for a different RR... But based in the Midwest, but I am also currently on tour chasing some money... Yeah there are some really chill people out here... you do get your douche bag or two but mostly every one here is cool as hell.

For content

GE Dash-9 4 stroke diesel.
http://youtu.be/jQOl3Nlj6RI

EMD SD-40-2 2 stroke diesel.
http://youtu.be/CYxXpTtIl-g

The sounds of a 2 stroke just sound way better than 4, which sounds like a big box of marbles. But if any of you can remember the old 2 stroke Detroit diesels, those sounded quite sweet as well... The world needs more 2 stroke engines dammit :swoon:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Gorilla Salad posted:

In the green room.

Well, I guess that's one way of trimming back the foliage.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Gorilla Salad posted:

In the green room.

Do you have a high-res version of this?

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Gorilla Salad posted:

In the green room.

Biggest resolution you have please!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That's all I have, sadly. I found it in an image dump through 2leep.com and it didn't come with any information.

I was sorta hoping someone here might have a bigger version of it.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

auzdark posted:

The 3801 - the best train in Australia

I think this South Australian Railways 620 might have something to say about that...

Or the more streamlined 520...

Unfortunately I believe both of these are out of service, one has major boiler issues.

If I ever become a millionare I'll be having the drat things fixed.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
Did my first day of track safety training in Crewe (UK) today. Was amazing to be only a few metres away from a train flying past at 100mph. You can literally feel how heavy the train is when it goes past.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Apparently not all trains can have good looks, and as far as ugly goes this SAR 400 is pretty drat ugly.

And here's a helpful diagram of just what you're seeing:

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Hurricane Irene came through and did a number on the tracks near here, doing what the MTA refers to as "Catastrophic damage."
http://mta.info/pj/

Oh, and check out this to see what trains can actually survive:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-8gV4DJZUw&feature=relmfu

It's amazing what they can survive without derailment.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Transport For London run a heritage day where they do rides in one of their restored 1938 stock trains. I went on it a few weeks ago as it was passing near me, and man is it gorgeous on the inside.

The ride was surprisingly good for a train of it's age, and the seats were about 9,000 times more comfortable than any current London Underground stock, including the new S-stock, which is either wonderful or terrible, going by popular opinion.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Everyone seemed to like the last green room I found, so here's another.

And, for contrast, here's a white room.

The most hardcore train I've ever seen.

I have no idea what's really going on here, but it looks like the train is pouring molten metal down the side of a hill.

Why? Because they're Russian :black101:

Seriously though, does anyone have a clue what the hell is going on in that shot.

All these images came form English Russia

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Looks very similar to this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhJF_hTJ2Rw . Which leads me to believe they are dumping slag from a steel mill of some sort.

edit/ here's another video of comparative range and depth. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfaA0zwOjso .

Untagged fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Oct 13, 2011

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Goddamn, that's some crazy poo poo.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
http://www.aqpl43.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/locoloco.htm

This site has all kinds of crazy-rear end locomotives. I mean, look at this thing :

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 19, 2011

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Farecoal posted:

I mean, look at this thing :

http://i.imgur.com/qmtEP.jpg

How the hell does that even work, friction drive between the driven wheel and the road wheel? (Edit: Yes. I still can't find why it's done that way, though) Why not make a normal 4-2-2? why not make it a couple feet longer, add a pair of connecting rods, and make a normal 4-4-2?

(Edit again: it seems that Fontaine was just a dumbass and though it would go faster that way, for no reason. He should've painted it red. Also the pressure of the drive wheels on the road wheels could be varied via steam pressure; Fontaine was apparently trying to gain some traction weight* and didn't understand the phrase about one's bootstraps.)

*which may not actually be a real term but you know what I mean.

Steam locomotives got to some pretty ridiculous lengths (literally and figuratively) before diesels came along and somebody realized you could just hook up two power units instead of building one really huge one. First there was the Mallett, with the boiler sitting on a sliding bearing on the front truck; it poked the nose out a bit on the corners, but it worked. Then they wanted to go bigger.

"Let's just throw some bellows in the middle of the boiler so it can bend, this can't possibly fail."

WHAT :psyduck:

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Oct 16, 2011

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Gorilla Salad posted:

In the green room.

I finally found a site that knew where this place was!

"Often times when we hear about the tunnel of love, we tend to think it is in the amusement park but actually not all tunnels of love is like that.This beautiful ‘green mile’ train tunnel who looks like the entrance to Narnia is located in Rivnens’kyi district, Rivnens’ka oblast, Ukraine and is known as “The Tunnel of Love.”"

Link also includes a bunch of new pics.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Untagged posted:

Looks very similar to this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhJF_hTJ2Rw . Which leads me to believe they are dumping slag from a steel mill of some sort.

edit/ here's another video of comparative range and depth. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfaA0zwOjso .

My god the number of things that could go wrong... :psyduck:

In the first vid, you almost see the wagon overbalance. All it'd take is a decent tip combined with just a little more erosion on that slope and the slope-side rail will sink and the wagon will topple. I wonder how often that happens.

Also, is it being in Russia the only reason there's no environmental issues with doing that?

pmMike
Mar 6, 2009

echoplex posted:

Transport For London run a heritage day where they do rides in one of their restored 1938 stock trains. I went on it a few weeks ago as it was passing near me, and man is it gorgeous on the inside.

The ride was surprisingly good for a train of it's age, and the seats were about 9,000 times more comfortable than any current London Underground stock, including the new S-stock, which is either wonderful or terrible, going by popular opinion.

they still run these on the Isle of Wight at Ryde along the pier from the ferry terminal to the shore. Wikipedia has a bit more info here

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

If you like perty old rail cars in regular service, San Francisco's F line is pretty awesome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F_Market_%26_Wharves

Pretty great to head to your normal working Muni stop and a car from 1915 pulls up.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Cygni posted:

If you like perty old rail cars in regular service, San Francisco's F line is pretty awesome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F_Market_%26_Wharves

Pretty great to head to your normal working Muni stop and a car from 1915 pulls up.
I think anyone who ever goes to SF should take BART and get off at the Embarcadero station and exit at street level. Unless you are from a big city, it can be like going into Narnia. If you are from a big city, you will see how different it is from any other. Then you can jump on this F line and head to the Warf for lunch or dinner. Or you can get off BART at Powell and take a cable car there. Yeah, its a tourist trap but what can you do.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Totally agreed. Although now a days, since the cable cars can read the Clipper cards and don't cost any extra if you're on a plan, you're actually going to find them pretty much full of commuters in the mornings, especially on the Powell line towards the BART station at like 6am. Fastest way to BART in the mornings from that area.

Friend of mine takes the cable car every morning on his commute which I think is basically the most awesome thing in the world, and he really can't understand my enthusiasm.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cygni posted:

Friend of mine takes the cable car every morning on his commute which I think is basically the most awesome thing in the world, and he really can't understand my enthusiasm.

I had so much fun hanging off the side of cablecars when I visted SF.

loving loud though.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
I've been wondering for a few years: is this a photoshop/static model/etc or something totally awesome that I have to make when I have money and free time?

vvv It's from (possibly :nws: adds) englishrussia and is supposedly an M62

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 24, 2011

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I have a strong feeling that is something of Soviet design.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

This thread is awesome.

I'm a fan of a lot of Japanese trains, especially some of the commuter ones.

The trains on the Hankyu Railway are cool. Even the newer trains have this old style look to them.

The Meitetsu line in Nagoya has these "Panorama SUPER" trains that partially run on the streets. They have musical horns too.

223 series. This also has a musical horn.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Zeether posted:

This thread is awesome.

I'm a fan of a lot of Japanese trains, especially some of the commuter ones.

The trains on the Hankyu Railway are cool. Even the newer trains have this old style look to them.

The Meitetsu line in Nagoya has these "Panorama SUPER" trains that partially run on the streets. They have musical horns too.

223 series. This also has a musical horn.

Please tell me they don't have live overheads on the street ones?? Line trespass must be a massive bitch!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Come on, it's Japan.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
How would it be any different from trams?

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Gorilla Salad posted:

How would it be any different from trams?

I would guess that tram lines hold a loss less power so they aren't really capable of arcing as much as regular rail overheads. I know that there are very strict rules on track safety in the UK governing overheads. They can arc very far and hold a lot of electricity.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Hezzy posted:

I would guess that tram lines hold a loss less power so they aren't really capable of arcing as much as regular rail overheads. I know that there are very strict rules on track safety in the UK governing overheads. They can arc very far and hold a lot of electricity.

Most of Japan uses 1,500 V DC on the catenary, which is really common for larger systems all over the world, a lot of which operate in cities (like Seattle light rail, Sau Paulo metro, Shanghai metro, etc).

It's higher voltage than a lot of trams use (600-750 V DC normally), but it's not that crazy. New Jersey/New York has an old railroad that runs into the city that pumps 3000 V DC on the overhead lines. Its rad.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The Meitetsu line with the street section doesn't even seem to share lines with trams. On the bridge/street area I think the trains are limited to around 25 km/h. Here's a video of it, with two Panorama SUPER trains. You can also hear the musical horn!

Zeether fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 14, 2011

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Hezzy posted:

Please tell me they don't have live overheads on the street ones?? Line trespass must be a massive bitch!

San Francisco has a shitload of overhead lines criscrossing a lot of the major intersections for the electric MUNI buses. Sometimes you see them pulled over with the driver trying to reseat the pantograph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Corrour in Scotland, the highest station on the British railway network, yesterday.

Poor little 156

e: more seasonally correct smilie

Rude Dude With Tude fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 14, 2011