Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

tuyop posted:

What do you mean? Does anybody ever get a new job with double the income and come out of it without incurring massive amounts of debt? I'm just telling her she should start budgeting now and act as if she's on her original income until she has enough saved up to do whatever she wants. We talk about her financial goals all the time, since mine are pretty boring.

Yes, many people in fact possess basic self-control and manage not to spend beyond their means even after payrises.

What I meant by my comments was that you giving anyone financial / budgeting advice is a hilarious case of the blind leading the blind and chances are if she listens to the same financial genius you applied to your past, she'll soon need a thread here too.

Lyon posted:

I'm on tuyop's side in this thing. He's got money set aside for these purchases and he's paying down his debt. I'd have to look at his budget again to see if he is hitting the goals he established but it sounds like he is. If that $150 is money not required to meet his debt goals or to pay necessities how can you bitch at what he spends it on? Isn't that the point of a budget? That money is budgeted as free money.

The problem is that, like zaurg, he's only like this due to exceptional circumstances. He's spending less than earning simply because he's getting field allowance. He's not actually learning any self-restraint, which will prove itself important when his situation changes and his income decreases. Zaurg was getting overtime. Tuyop's getting allowance.

It's incredibly difficult to adapt to less income. Learning how to be thrifty now makes sense rather than waiting until the stakes actually matter. Te result of failure now just mean staying the course and not paying down as much debt. The result of failure when the circumstances change is pulling down more debt to survive. He's not going to change his spending then, just as we all know he won't quit smoking once his field time is over. Look at the graph earlier - the only reason he breaks even is when his income is above the base level, it offsets his excess spending. He's addicted to spending needlessly just as he's addicted to smoking and he'll justify it now whilst it doesn't matter as much, not realising that now's the time to make change so that when it does matter, he has kicked the habit.

Frankly, I don't give a poo poo if it's $100 underpants to hide his skid marks that he wastes his money on. It's the fact that he's completely against actually trying to learn any good skills or practices that shits me off.

tuyop posted:

I kind of remembered that and kept the 200/month savings plan up. By next September, despite my extravagant underwear and/or socks, I should have more than enough to buy a suit, formal wear, and the endless list of fashion minutia I need to be a (cool) professional adult male.

That's a great idea, spend the 200$/mo savings you had forgotten about (what the gently caress, how?) on fashion crap rather than improving your debt situation.

Edit to elaborate on the page 2 graph comment, above:
Average income across all months: $3185.12
Average expenses across all months: $2991.40
Difference: $193.72

However, assuming that all months >$2550 are field months and we exclude them to get a better idea of spending against base (reliable) salary, it becomes:
Average income: $2297.39
Average expenses: $2873.13
Difference: $-575.74

Basically, tuyop consistently spends over his base salary, relying on extra entitlements to cover the difference. That's just as stupid as relying on overtime income to cover expenses.

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Nam Taf posted:

However, assuming that all months >$2550 are field months and we exclude them to get a better idea of spending against base (reliable) salary, it becomes:
Average income: $2297.39
Average expenses: $2873.13
Difference: $-575.74

Basically, tuyop consistently spends over his base salary, relying on extra entitlements to cover the difference. That's just as stupid as relying on overtime income to cover expenses.

Tuyop, you need to read this, digest it, and address it, becasue it speaks volumes about your financial solvency.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Those numbers are actually very easy to explain. In the military, when you live on base and eat at the dining facility, your rations and quarters are directly deducted from your pay. So my income was 2091 instead of the 2894 that it is now. Except now I spend much less on food and rent than I was.

The only field time I've had so far this year was three days in January and 10 in August. Field pay is always delayed 2-6 weeks, so we haven't even seen that yet for august. Any additional income that may appear on those graphs is just from mint including people paying me for gas or whatever, which basically cancels out the additional expense, so it's hard to say that I've been hitting extraordinary windfalls but have all regular expenses. It's just not true.

For instance, on the way to Halifax this weekend I picked up a guy through rideshare. He gave me 25 for gas, I put 25 in gas in my car on my debit card, then put the gas money in my bank account. Mint.com builds the graph for this month with +25 income and +25 expenses that wouldn't have happened otherwise. It appears as if I've hit a windfall and spent 25 out of my normal means, but I haven't. I just got 25 for gas and bought 25 in gas. This kind of thing happens to me all the time.

Edit:
And you're right, I've spent beyond my means for the past year. That's the trend. The past three months I've been on a budget and reducing my expenses. I moved out, carpooled, and gave myself a cash jar for weekly fun stuff. For those months I've been spending less than I've earned. The pattern isn't fully established yet, but I saw the problem and took steps to fix it. I'm well on my way now. I haven't added the entitlements to my budget in terms of income or expenses, but when they're income they'll go straight to debt rather than vacations or whatever, like they did in the past.

The 200 savings isn't all for clothes and fashion poo poo. It's also oil changes, new tires, broken car windows, contact lenses, Christmas presents, or whatever. When I started this thread, I decided to stop the savings to concentrate on debt. However, i realize now that it's better to build up savings for planned expenses and establish a reasonable debt payment goal in line with those planned things.

Since I've established a budget, I've spent 240 less than I've earned in June, then 947 in July, and then 1482 in August. This trend should continue through the fall and onward. I know it's like a junky staying clean for three months and calling it success, but only time will tell if I fail.

The debt repayment graph I posted looks haphazard because it goes back six months. At the end of September it will have a dip that looks more in line with someone who's budgeting.

Edit 2:
So what should I tell my girlfriend? Her income will go from 1200 to 2600 as of October 10. She was excited to finance a Mazda 2 when she got back. I told her that if she really wants to finance a new car, she should save 20% for a down payment and then finance for no more than 36 months. This was the advice given to me earlier in the thread. I can't control her, but I told her that if she keeps behaving as if she only makes 300 a week, she'll easily be able to pay for a used 6-7k car in cash by spring next year.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 6, 2011

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

tuyop posted:

For instance, on the way to Halifax this weekend I picked up a guy through rideshare. He gave me 25 for gas, I put 25 in gas in my car on my debit card, then put the gas money in my bank account. Mint.com builds the graph for this month with +25 income and +25 expenses that wouldn't have happened otherwise. It appears as if I've hit a windfall and spent 25 out of my normal means, but I haven't. I just got 25 for gas and bought 25 in gas. This kind of thing happens to me all the time.

You can track this more accurately by labeling the $25 you were given as a positive gas expense (or whatever it is) rather than income, in Mint.

Eden
Jul 1, 2007
One hella classy dinosaur

tuyop posted:

So what should I tell my girlfriend? Her income will go from 1200 to 2600 as of October 10. She was excited to finance a Mazda 2 when she got back. I told her that if she really wants to finance a new car, she should save 20% for a down payment and then finance for no more than 36 months. This was the advice given to me earlier in the thread. I can't control her, but I told her that if she keeps behaving as if she only makes 300 a week, she'll easily be able to pay for a used 6-7k car in cash by spring next year.

Tell her that the exciting thing about getting a wage increase is that you're better able to afford what you struggle to afford now as well as being in a better position to save up for nice things. Not so you can increase your spending wildly so that you just have even more poo poo you can't afford.

Eden fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Sep 7, 2011

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

tuyop posted:

So what should I tell my girlfriend?
Tell her you deserve $100 underwear but she can't get the nice toy she wants.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

moana posted:

Tell her you deserve $100 underwear but she can't get the nice toy she wants.

Her basic's in Montreal. We'll see what kind of crazy boutique poo poo she ships back home after the weekends. :) She has like 500 in CC debt so she can buy whatever the gently caress she wants. I just think she should save before she buys a car, so that she doesn't end up upside down on a loan that she really can't afford, like me. Do what I've heard, not what I do.

Also, I did my time with $500 used cars and I think everyone should own at least two of those before having a nice new one. :colbert:

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

tuyop posted:

She has like 500 in CC debt so she can buy whatever the gently caress she wants.

No. She has like $500 in CC debt so she should pay off her loving credit card debt before buying more poo poo.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
Underarmor underwear stinks like hell. Get some icebreaker or smartwool. Only need one pair for the field!

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Nam Taf posted:

That's a great idea, spend the 200$/mo savings you had forgotten about (what the gently caress, how?) on fashion crap rather than improving your debt situation.

Maybe this is true for the military, but it's not completely "fashion crap." Looking presentable for job interviews is far worth the cost. Think of it as an investment (assuming you're applying for jobs that care/are worth it.)

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

tuyop posted:

Edit 2:

You can tell her anything you want, but I’m not sure why you think you have any credibility. That’s the downside of the “I’m broke but I’m going to keep buying stupid crap because it’s my money” attitude.

Also what moana said.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
/\/\/\ Just passing on the advice I'm getting here. What I do has nothing to do with the validity of the advice I might pass on.

bam thwok posted:

No. She has like $500 in CC debt so she should pay off her loving credit card debt before buying more poo poo.

Well let's see. She has 5 weeks in barracks making 2k before she can spend anything at all. So after her huge 500 debt is taken care of that's 1500 that she can spend on more poo poo. I think she'll be ok. She's perfectly capable of living on 300 a week, so when she's making 650, she should be able to live within her means if she's careful. I'm telling her that she should be careful.

The fashion crap I'm saving for is stuff like business casual clothes for mess functions, subaltern nights, CO dinners, unit barbecues, et cetera (not dinners), the formal stuff is for mess dinners.

It will all be handy when I get out of the military and have to start applying for teaching jobs and working as a teacher. Clothes don't really go bad.

And yes, underarmour stinks like poo poo, but so does everything else you wear in the field. Icebreaker stuff doesn't provide nearly the support that I like, I have a pair and it's almost useless except for being very very nice and never smelling.

Edit:

:siren: Just got a haircut too. Because of the haircut market in Dartmouth, it was 15 instead of 13 dollars! :siren:

tuyop fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 7, 2011

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

tuyop posted:

/\/\/\ Just passing on the advice I'm getting here. What I do has nothing to do with the validity of the advice I might pass on.

It warms my heart that you find what we are saying useful. What you do doesn’t change the validity of the advice, only if she listens to it (or not). Send me a PM; I’ll buy her an account, that way she can read it herself.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

tuyop posted:

Well let's see. She has 5 weeks in barracks making 2k before she can spend anything at all. So after her huge 500 debt is taken care of that's 1500 that she can spend on more poo poo. I think she'll be ok. She's perfectly capable of living on 300 a week, so when she's making 650, she should be able to live within her means if she's careful. I'm telling her that she should be careful.

Having debt that you can theoretically pay off soon isn't the same as having no debt.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

tuyop posted:

Also, I did my time with $500 used cars and I think everyone should own at least two of those before having a nice new one. :colbert:

Unrelated to your point, but, this kind of statement is highly sympomatic of your illogical rationalizations of things.

There is a vast middle ground between $500 shitpile cars, and brand new ones. That vast middle ground is where the smart money lies, and yet you seem to write it off as nonexistent, as you do with many other rationalizations.

Previous examples: if you're not eating the finest of fresh foods and vegetables, then the obvious alternative is greasy fast food poo poo. If you're not wearing the finest undergarments, the alternatives are worthless. If you're not buying the best premium whey-based protein supplements, then the only other option is to betray your body's sublime needs with, I don't know, bucket chicken or whatever.

There's never any middle ground with you tuyop.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Go hard or go home :smugbert:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Unrelated to your point, but, this kind of statement is highly sympomatic of your illogical rationalizations of things.

There is a vast middle ground between $500 shitpile cars, and brand new ones. That vast middle ground is where the smart money lies, and yet you seem to write it off as nonexistent, as you do with many other rationalizations.

Previous examples: if you're not eating the finest of fresh foods and vegetables, then the obvious alternative is greasy fast food poo poo. If you're not wearing the finest undergarments, the alternatives are worthless. If you're not buying the best premium whey-based protein supplements, then the only other option is to betray your body's sublime needs with, I don't know, bucket chicken or whatever.

There's never any middle ground with you tuyop.

So what does it mean when I recommend a nice 6-7k used car, or post about how health is a continuum and I often make bad dietary choices, but overall I try to fill my house with the best food possible? I don't think I'm very prone to false dichotomies, or dichotomies of any kind except for hyperbole or jokes, like that car quote.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Seriouspost tuyop: what exact model of Boxerjocks do you buy? You have inspired me to invest more in my underwear (because I can afford it). And I already use compression underwear to workout in and love it, so why not wear them all the time? But I see there are M, O, and T series and I don't know the difference.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Chin Strap posted:

Seriouspost tuyop: what exact model of Boxerjocks do you buy? You have inspired me to invest more in my underwear (because I can afford it). And I already use compression underwear to workout in and love it, so why not wear them all the time? But I see there are M, O, and T series and I don't know the difference.

I can't load the UA website right now, but I'm pretty sure I wear 3" O series boxerjocks. I have no idea what the difference is between them, except the M seems to lack a lot of support and the T makes you look like MMA spiderman or something. They may be good for most people, but I have a no-jokes large package and the dedicated mesh junk holder is gold.

I wore compression shorts for awhile, but once they get dirt in them they tear my gooch to pieces.

It may be just me, but I find underwear with jeans to be very uncomfortable. Maybe my jeans are too tight but I don't know. Ymmv.

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005

tuyop posted:

So what does it mean when I recommend a nice 6-7k used car, or post about how health is a continuum and I often make bad dietary choices, but overall I try to fill my house with the best food possible? I don't think I'm very prone to false dichotomies, or dichotomies of any kind except for hyperbole or jokes, like that car quote.

It means you are parroting a bunch of advice you've heard and think is good but you don't understand why or believe you are an exception.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

asmallrabbit posted:

It means you are parroting a bunch of advice you've heard and think is good but you don't understand why or believe you are an exception.

But you don't understand! The smoking balances out with the healthy food! It's like magic!

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

cstine posted:

But you don't understand! The smoking balances out with the healthy food! It's like magic!

A guy I worked with this spring smoked and he told me that smoking was good because it makes your lungs work harder so you'll have stronger lungs and be able to work harder/longer. Can't argue with that!

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

New thread title + tag :toot:

tuyop posted:

Yes, and to continue the :iiaca:, would you pay extra for a car that was guaranteed to have higher maintenance costs and crap out earlier (and stink) because it "looks cool"?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
/\/\/\ Replace looks cool with fun to drive and yes, I would.

asmallrabbit posted:

Well, I almost bought a 9000 dollar 2008 Mazda 3 but registering it was a problem and it had been in an accident so I opted out. By the time I bought the new car, I was pretty tired of not having one and the features really got me. The features. Also I figured I could afford the payments.

I get it now that it would have been way better to just buy a 6000 dollar 2004 or something and take a little bit more risk for repairs. But I didn't do that. My girlfriend should though.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

tuyop posted:

I can't load the UA website right now, but I'm pretty sure I wear 3" O series boxerjocks. I have no idea what the difference is between them, except the M seems to lack a lot of support and the T makes you look like MMA spiderman or something. They may be good for most people, but I have a no-jokes large package and the dedicated mesh junk holder is gold.

I wore compression shorts for awhile, but once they get dirt in them they tear my gooch to pieces.

It may be just me, but I find underwear with jeans to be very uncomfortable. Maybe my jeans are too tight but I don't know. Ymmv.

You are a caricature of a human being.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

tuyop posted:

Then you've learned nothing from this thread.

Seriously, have you read Zaurg's thread yet? Because you and he are obstinate in almost exactly the same way, and you really need to pull your head out.

You're a supposed adult with a huge debt to your name, no financial assets that are worth much of anything, and a paltry savings account that wouldn't be a drop in the bucket in terms of allowing you to support yourself if you lost your job or if any one of life's inevitable little surprises jumped up and hosed with you. What would happen if you got your girlfriend pregnant and she decided to keep it?

You have this blasé attitude towards your debt, probably owe more than the combined worth of your assets, and you're dependant on overtime to make ends meet, and all of this just seems to roll off you. I'm unsure why you started this thread in the first place, because you seem not to give a crap.

The sad thing is that there are probably people out there who technically make less than you do but who CAN afford all of the shiny poo poo you seem to be obsessed with, simply because they're better at managing their money than you.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

tuyop posted:

but I have a no-jokes large package and the dedicated mesh junk holder is gold.

You know, I thought that, but I've been accused of being obsessed with dick before, and because I'm supposed to help moderate this small corner of SA, I didn't dare say anything.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Tuyop, everytime you make a pathetically defensive reply about your spending habits and your fantastically stubborn refusal to change them, I go back to your OP to check how far underwater you are with your finances. You are still still $33,000 in the hole, yes?

Is there even a tiny moment when you read reasonable criticism-before all the sad self-righteousness kicks in-where you think, hm, maybe there are some changes I could stand to make in life? Or do you just skip to straight to "these civilians don't understand what it's like to need FIELD CIGARETTES or MAGIC UNDERWEAR for my HUGE DICK, none of their advice is relevant to me"?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

tuyop posted:

buy a 6000 dollar 2004 or something and take a little bit more risk for repairs. But I didn't do that. My girlfriend should though.

Man guys seven years is old for a car! That's, like, a classic! It might not even have an mp3 player!

:rolleyes:

Also, I deserve nice things. My girlfriend doesn't.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
loving Cornholio is making fun of you, Tuyop. And he's right. You really are a no-jokes large package.

Badger Pudding
Jan 11, 2007

My naturally quivering state makes any display of fear deliciously arbitrary.

CornHolio posted:

Man guys seven years is old for a car! That's, like, a classic! It might not even have an mp3 player!

:rolleyes:

Also, I deserve nice things. My girlfriend doesn't.

Tuyop owned two 1992 Mazda 323's when he was younger (2006), and is trying to make sure his girlfriend doesn't gently caress up the same way he did.

What's your excuse?

Edit:
Read: Sounding like your head is up your bum.

Also, tuyop - stop being so defensive. Step back from what people are saying, say it as though you were giving this advice to someone and they were arguing back against you. You'll come up with reasons about how you might be wrong. Although I personally think everyone's being a little harsh and you're not the giant-est gently caress-up there ever was. Except about your no-jokes large package. I think everyone here is agreed on that.

Badger Pudding fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 9, 2011

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Badger Pudding posted:

Tuyop owned two 1992 Mazda 323's when he was younger (2006), and is trying to make sure his girlfriend doesn't gently caress up the same way he did.

And a 92 protege! With a sunroof. :c00lbert:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Why the gently caress would you get a sunroof if you lived in Halifax?

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Since your dick is so big, have you considered gay for pay porn?

This could add several thousand dollars a month to your income, and you could buy all the cigarettes and expensive underwear you want.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Badger Pudding posted:

Owning clunkers isn't a punishment. It's a necessity sometimes. You haven't somehow 'earned' a nicer car because you 'did your time' in pieces of poo poo.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Nibiru posted:

New thread title + tag :toot:

Yes, and to continue the :iiaca:, would you pay extra for a car that was guaranteed to have higher maintenance costs and crap out earlier (and stink) because it "looks cool"?

Hey, lots of people buy Volkswagens.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

CornHolio posted:

Owning clunkers isn't a punishment. It's a necessity sometimes. You haven't somehow 'earned' a nicer car because you 'did your time' in pieces of poo poo.

More like I didn't want another car where all the belts (all of them) would explode on my way to an exam on a bridge during rush hour. But yeah, buying a new car was a mistake. I can't fix it right now. Don't know why you guys are acting like recommending that my girlfriend buy a car within her means instead of repeating my mistake indicates that I haven't learned my lesson or I'm more deserving of nice things than her or something. She can buy all the nice poo poo she wants, but unless she wants to get into poo poo with money like me, she should start taking care now.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dusseldorf posted:

Why the gently caress would you get a sunroof if you lived in Halifax?

Well I drove that car literally twice before putting it in a pond and destroying it completely, so I'm not sure how useless a sunroof is in Halifax.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

tuyop posted:

the dedicated mesh junk holder is gold.

I want this to be literally true. I totally would buy underwear that has a crotch pocket made out of gold. It's not underwear, it's an investment! You should buy a bunch and then fund your lifestyle by selling debt instruments based on your large package.

You could call them...junk bonds! :downsrim:

(sorry)

More seriously, maybe you'll be less defensive if I use myself as an example of problems instead of you. I'm fat. Well, last year I was fat - 5'8" 220+lbs. (too ashamed to own a scale). Then I went on a diet. Now I'm roughly 156lbs, which is in the (upper) range of normal BMI. So, by the numbers, I'm not fat anymore. I'm done, right?

No, because the reason I got that fat in the first place was that I had/have a unhealthy relationship with food. I used food as a reward, a punishment, a security blanket, and a justification for eating in an impulsive (and ultimately self-destructive) manner. Losing the weight is great, and important, but if I don't ALSO recognize that I have to change the way I think about and use food going forward in my life then I'll fall back into the same habits and gain all the weight back, and more besides.

For you, it's spending. It's not just what the numbers are at any one time, it's how you treat your irresponsible spending as a reward, an indulgence, a refuge, a defiance of all us bluenoses who want you to stop spending so unnecessarily and self-destructively.

You have an unhealthy relationship with money, and you need to change the way you think about it. Yes, you have to spend it, just like I have to eat. But if you don't realize that you need to address not only what you're spending money for, but also why you're spending it (and whether you really should), then someday your finances are going to have to be hauled out of the house through the wall on a forklift and buried in a piano box.

Metaphorically speaking, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005

tuyop posted:

Well, I almost bought a 9000 dollar 2008 Mazda 3 but registering it was a problem and it had been in an accident so I opted out. By the time I bought the new car, I was pretty tired of not having one and the features really got me. The features. Also I figured I could afford the payments.

I get it now that it would have been way better to just buy a 6000 dollar 2004 or something and take a little bit more risk for repairs. But I didn't do that. My girlfriend should though.

I can't really harp on you for wanting a nice car. I went out and got a more expensive car then what I needed because I love cars and its one of the main things I was saving for, but do you really get it? It's not about whether you can just afford the payments, its the total cost. You shouldn't be looking at it as whether or not you can fit the payments into your monthly budget, but if you can afford the WHOLE cost.

Also, it's going to be drat hard to try and give your gf advice about what she should do when you aren't doing any of it yourself and don't seem to think it shoudl even apply. That won't go over well.

• Locked thread