Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
just get the BlackWidow, it's decently priced for a mechanical. The Ultimates are paying $50 for backlighting, and a slightly more convenient headphone jack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Blazeing w Hitler posted:

I'd stay away from Razer just because of one of their mice I saw in the store once, but if you absolutly want a Razer keyboard Ive heard good things about the Blackwidow , which is mechanical. IF you wanna go ham with a keyboard I've heard Filco mechanicals are really nice. I have a Logitech g110 and I want to switch to mechanical but the USB audio jack is enough for me to keep it .

Incidentally, I started at the BlackWidow and I'm probably now going to get a Filco Majestouch-2.

It's mainly down to the switches in the BlackWidow being blues. I think I'd prefer browns.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So my dad gave me two Jensen JP1200 floor speakers (300w each) and two little "Realistic" bookshelf speakers and a tiny little Optimus XTS 40 center speaker but I have no subwoofer. Well, technically I have one of those "plug everything into your subwoofer 5.1 pc speakers" setup but I have no idea how to hook something like that up.

I know I need actual speaker wire, and I left my optical cord in another state so I can hook it up to this Xonar card he gave me to a Technics SA-DX930 receiver he also gave me (Yes, my dad gives me poo poo he bought but never/barely used, the floor speakers and the center speaker were never even opened).

My questions are would this be loud for an apartment setup, and how much money would this cost? I don't mind too much about not having a sub because those are expensive.

Okay well for one thing if you've got a pair of 300W floor speakers you don't even need a subwoofer.
And yes this is going to be way too loud for putting in your room if you have roommates, that kind of setup is for blasting music in your living room in parties.

why halo thar
Jan 21, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So the ultimate black widow ninja is basically a das keyboard professional s except with matte instead of gloss and backlit instead of usb ports. Good to know.

The Ultimate Stealth is backlit and has an audio and microphone jack along with a USB port, but it's still a ridiculous premium for those features (+$60 MSRP).

kcer posted:

It's mainly down to the switches in the BlackWidow being blues. I think I'd prefer browns.

The Stealth version uses brown switches, but you can't go wrong with a Majestouch aside from the dent it leaves in your wallet.

fuckyoubitch
Mar 30, 2010

by T. Finninho
ATI keeping the tradition of utterly lovely drivers alive since the dawn of time.

Upgrade drivers, breaks the CCC. Refuses to load. Cool guys.

gently caress ati/amd radeon whatever the gently caress they call themselves now, going with nvidia next card.

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:
Does anyone know how good this "intel hd 3000" integrated gpu is for laptops? I just want to play hon and dota2 and that's about it.

Asked in the laptop thread and jerkwads over there are just jo-ing each other and not answering my question

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

fuckyoubitch posted:

ATI keeping the tradition of utterly lovely drivers alive since the dawn of time.

gently caress ati/amd radeon whatever the gently caress they call themselves now, going with nvidia next card.

Cue same post about nvidia in 6 months.

Ephemerous
Jul 31, 2003

The ATI/nVidia thing seems cyclical for me. Every time I have a card for a long time I get annoyed with the particulars of it and switch to the competitor, but in the end it doesn't make a huge amount of difference.. whichever makes you happy, use that.

(Last time I switched, it was because forcing FSAA in CCC or ATI Tray Tools didn't seem to do anything, whereas I knew that things like nHancer worked like a charm for that. Now I'm finding that triple buffering on nVidia cards is a pain.. waiting for the next generation to come out anyhow.)

fuckyoubitch
Mar 30, 2010

by T. Finninho

Red_Fred posted:

Cue same post about nvidia in 6 months.

Never had problems with any nvidia, from 7600GT 8800gts and 5600.

Ati? lovely problems with fan on the 9800. CCC is utterly poo poo all times. Only good card they ever made was 9600.

drat lucky they came out with the 4xxx series or theyd be in the toilet.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

fuckyoubitch posted:

I had the same problem last month - I tried absolutely every cleaning measure short of formatting, as well as installing older versions, and it didn't help at all. Then the 11.8 drivers fixed that :???:

I only really use CCC for the OverDrive anyway. I can't figure out how to get ATI Tray Tools to do the same (i.e. dynamically go to the overclocked frequencies as needed), even though the options are right there. Either it does nothing or it sticks at the higher freqs all the time. It bothers me because ATT is otherwise much neater to use than that horribly clunky CCC.

fuckyoubitch
Mar 30, 2010

by T. Finninho

NihilCredo posted:

I had the same problem last month - I tried absolutely every cleaning measure short of formatting, as well as installing older versions, and it didn't help at all. Then the 11.8 drivers fixed that :???:

I only really use CCC for the OverDrive anyway. I can't figure out how to get ATI Tray Tools to do the same (i.e. dynamically go to the overclocked frequencies as needed), even though the options are right there. Either it does nothing or it sticks at the higher freqs all the time. It bothers me because ATT is otherwise much neater to use than that horribly clunky CCC.

I had to go into windows REG and delete a shitload of ati things. Truly the sign of a great graphics driver.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

washow posted:

Does anyone know how good this "intel hd 3000" integrated gpu is for laptops? I just want to play hon and dota2 and that's about it.

Asked in the laptop thread and jerkwads over there are just jo-ing each other and not answering my question
I think the dudes in the laptop forum thought you were trolling. I would have too honestly. Integrated graphics (ESPECIALLY the ones made by Intel) offer very little performance for gaming, nowhere near enough to play 95% of off the shelf computer games. Sims 3 should run like a boss though.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

washow posted:

Toms hardware have a hardware hierarchy chart which can give you a rough idea but with integrated graphics it will just tell you how many years back you need to go to find games that will run well.

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Nevermind I found it.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html
This says you can run games with it. It's not the ye olde days of integrated graphic. I'm happy with playing hon and dota2. I got my desktop for bf3

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

washow posted:

Nevermind I found it.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html
This says you can run games with it. It's not the ye olde days of integrated graphic. I'm happy with playing hon and dota2. I got my desktop for bf3
I'm just saying but that chart lists your integrated graphics as being worse than real cards that were midrange 6 years ago and are unacceptable for gaming of almost any kind now. I dunno about hon but i suppose I wouldn't be surprised if dota 2 ran on min spec at a very low resolution, but if you're like me, running 1024x768 on a modern screen hurts your eyes.

DanManIt
Sep 5, 2008

kcer posted:

Incidentally, I started at the BlackWidow and I'm probably now going to get a Filco Majestouch-2.

Just FYI, there is a blackwidow stealth with brown switches for the same price as the regular blackwidow, you can look it up on razer's online store.

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

thamaht posted:

The ATI/nVidia thing seems cyclical for me. Every time I have a card for a long time I get annoyed with the particulars of it and switch to the competitor, but in the end it doesn't make a huge amount of difference.. whichever makes you happy, use that.

The last terrible ATI card was the rage 128, the last bad nvidia card was the fx5000 series. Drivers have been pretty much identical for years, 90% of all problems are user error or people blaming generic vista/window 7 driver crashes on whatever card they have at the time.

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I'm just saying but that chart lists your integrated graphics as being worse than real cards that were midrange 6 years ago and are unacceptable for gaming of almost any kind now. I dunno about hon but i suppose I wouldn't be surprised if dota 2 ran on min spec at a very low resolution, but if you're like me, running 1024x768 on a modern screen hurts your eyes.

Oh I see. Shows how clueless I am. What are some cards that can run those games at high settings though? Don't want to drop a grand on a laptop when I'm not gonna be doing all that much gaming on it anyway.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

washow posted:

Oh I see. Shows how clueless I am. What are some cards that can run those games at high settings though? Don't want to drop a grand on a laptop when I'm not gonna be doing all that much gaming on it anyway.

The bad news is, you're gonna have to drop more than a grand on a laptop if you want to run games on high settings.

Something like an Nvidia GT 555M chip should be fast enough to reasonably run most games at high settings and the full native resolution of a given laptop, Lenovo, MSI, and Asus all build reasonably priced laptops with that chip (I have no idea what the relative performance of AMD's mobile graphics offerings is)

There really is no such thing as a 'cheap' laptop that plays games well, but they're a lot cheaper (relative to desktops) than they used to be... as little as 10 years ago, to get the performance of a mid-low-range desktop used to cost more like $2200-$3200 (when a good gaming PC would run $1300-1800), where now you can get a similar level of performance (relative to a desktop) from a ~$1200 laptop.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Sep 6, 2011

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

"Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most..."
Most 'gaming' laptops are really mobile Pc's. The power needed to run these so called laptops means you only ever get an hour at maximum performance. A power outlet is needed most of the time.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

washow posted:

My desktop has a 2600k in it and I used the integrated video for about a week while I waited for a new GPU to come in. It was a long goddamn week.

I was trying to play Killing Floor with friends that week, and I had to drop all the settings into the basement and lower my resolution to something like 1600x900 to keep a v-synch of 60hz. And this was overclocked.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Manac0r posted:

Most 'gaming' laptops are really mobile Pc's. The power needed to run these so called laptops means you only ever get an hour at maximum performance. A power outlet is needed most of the time.

But they are ideal for people who want the small real estate of a laptop and almost always go places where there is a power outlet to use, which is why I think the line between desktops and laptops is becoming thinner every day.

Copper Vein posted:

My desktop has a 2600k in it and I used the integrated video for about a week while I waited for a new GPU to come in. It was a long goddamn week.

I was trying to play Killing Floor with friends that week, and I had to drop all the settings into the basement and lower my resolution to something like 1600x900 to keep a v-synch of 60hz. And this was overclocked.

I'm probably not the only one that thinks "lucky to play Bejeweled" whenever I hear "integrated graphics".

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I see no reason to get razer or das now that wasdkeyboards does semi custom for $120.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Charles Martel posted:

I'm probably not the only one that thinks "lucky to play Bejeweled" whenever I hear "integrated graphics".

Although I haven't researched it, I was under the impression that the latest generation of integrated graphics is competitive with very-low end discrete cards.

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010

kri kri posted:

I see no reason to get razer or das now that wasdkeyboards does semi custom for $120.
Thank you very much! Now I can have a cool keyboard, and in the future can make it have a crazy looking color scheme! :thumbsup:

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Male Man posted:

Although I haven't researched it, I was under the impression that the latest generation of integrated graphics is competitive with very-low end discrete cards.

I had an Intel 945GM on my old laptop and it could play Half-Life 2 pretty well, and games like Civ 4 weren't a problem.

The thing is that modern integrated graphics chips basically pick and choose what kind of technology to support - you might get one that's competitive with a low-end discrete card in terms of clock speed and memory, but it won't support Pixel Shader 3 or whatever.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Male Man posted:

See here: the more demanding games that they show are only playable at low-res AND low-settings, but older stuff works fine. I bought my PC around Christmas 2009, but waited a few weeks before getting a graphics card because the 785G's integrated HD4200 graphics still let me play Knights of the Old Republic 2 on max at 1080p.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

See here: the more demanding games that they show are only playable at low-res AND low-settings, but older stuff works fine.
That article is 18 months old and references the old Intel HD Graphics solution from Arrandale/Clarkdale, not the HD 3000 used in Sandy Bridge that people are talking about. While integrated graphics are still punishment for anyone who actually cares about gaming, Intel HD 3000 is at least twice as fast as the old stuff and LLano is even better.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 6, 2011

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008
Anyone playing the new Stonghold mmo Stronghold Kingdoms (beta)?

Just downloaded it!

e: Kind of like a Strongholdy farmville I guess. Join me.
e2: In World 1, Norfolk as "TacticalGrace"

Tactical Grace fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 7, 2011

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

kri kri posted:

I know Goons hate illuminated keyboards but I really like mine. However it has one busted ' . ' key and all this mechanical talk has made me want one. Can wasd do illuminated? I couldn't see it on their site.

washow
Dec 1, 2007

You guys are talking like as if I'm trying to play bf3 on a cheap laptop. As a member of pure PC master race I have my desktop for all the cool stuff. I just needed a small cheap laptop for school use plus occasional non-demanding games such as hon and dota2.

Anyway I spoke with a goon who had a laptop with HD 3000 on it and he can play hon at max settings. I guess I'm set then! Thanks all!

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I need help finding a keyboard with a particular combination of features.
-Backlit through the keys(transparent characters), not just around the keys.
-Non-mechanical
-Full size keys. I don't care for those keys that are in between full size and laptop size.
-It's not a deal breaker but I would prefer if blue lighting was available.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Doctor Meat posted:

-Non-mechanical
-Full size keys. I don't care for those keys that are in between full size and laptop size.

Like this?

:haw:

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007

Manac0r posted:

At least you US guys can buy the Asus G53 for only just $1100 right off the bat. That's not a high premium over a gaming desktop if you value portability. I'm jealous of your Newegg prices...

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

Doctor Meat posted:

-Non-mechanical

Logitech Illuminated Keyboard?

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Doctor Meat posted:

-Non-mechanical

Logitech G110 or G510

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

kri kri posted:

Student Discount gets me a DAS for $105 or something, what good does a custom keyboard get me?

I'm still of the opinion of illuminated keys are stupid. Get yourself a lamp instead of sitting in the dark, nerds.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
While we're at this, is there a good keyboard with mechanical switches, isn't lit (preferably isn't colored at all), and has media keys? I don't think I'll ever be able to get along without volume and playback at my fingertips.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Meldonox posted:

While we're at this, is there a good keyboard with mechanical switches, isn't lit (preferably isn't colored at all), and has media keys? I don't think I'll ever be able to get along without volume and playback at my fingertips.

If silicone switches under the keys count as mechanical, I'd say the current or past Dell keyboards are perfect. I'd still be using my 6 year old one if I hadn't felt the need for wireless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aquacadet
Aug 1, 2002

cooler than the other side of the pillow.
Sorry for this being a bit off topic, but I figured this would be the thread with the best chance of having someone who has a subscription to PC gamer, but doesn't play League of Legends.

In the November issue of PC gamer there is a skin code for a League of Legends character. I'm interested in buying this code for a reasonable price ($5?). If you are interested in selling either PM me on the forums or emails me (my forums name) @ gmail.com.

Thanks, and sorry again for being a bit off-topic.

• Locked thread