Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Narwhale posted:

Buried is now streaming. If you liked that one scene from Kill Bill and want to watch a whole movie based on it you should like Buried. It was pretty intense and worth a watch.

Incredibly good movie. So so tense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

For budding anime fans, if you haven't seen it yet, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is absolutely amazing. If you like comedy, giant robots, and ridiculous over-the-top fight scenes, then this one is for you.

I never noticed that it was on Netflix until now, and I've been burning through the 27 episodes in two days of work.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

CubanRefugee posted:

For budding anime fans, if you haven't seen it yet, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is absolutely amazing. If you like comedy, giant robots, and ridiculous over-the-top fight scenes, then this one is for you.

I never noticed that it was on Netflix until now, and I've been burning through the 27 episodes in two days of work.

Not trying to trivialize your opinion, but to each his own. I thought this show was absolutely loving retarded. I watched the first few after tons of people sperged about it, and goddamn is it horrible. I mean, it's basically all the anime cliches in one...Super over the top yelling and overdramatic retarded story, tits and rear end fanservice galore, giant robots, etc. Some people love that poo poo, but man, not me. And I actually enjoy a decent amount of anime.

If you prefer anime like Samurai Champloo/Cowboy Bebop, avoid the hell out of this.

A Nice Boy has a new favorite as of 06:28 on Sep 7, 2011

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

A Nice Boy posted:

Not trying to trivialize your opinion, but to each his own. I thought this show was absolutely loving retarded. I watched the first few after tons of people sperged about it, and goddamn is it horrible. I mean, it's basically all the anime cliches in one...Super over the top yelling and overdramatic retarded story, tits and rear end fanservice galore, giant robots, etc. Some people love that poo poo, but man, not me. And I actually enjoy a decent amount of anime.

If you prefer anime like Samurai Champloo/Cowboy Bebop, avoid the hell out of this.

I'll agree with that, to an extent. I think some of the show was supposed to be parodying those kinds of cliches, or at least paying tribute to them, so I didn't take it totally at face value.

The first half of the series was mindless, but enjoyable. The second half made me start hating the characters. So yeah, proceed with caution and only if you have a love of silly giant robots wearing sunglasses.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

So besides the few Viz licenses (off the top of my head, I can think of Nana, Honey & Clover, Hikaru No Go, Bleach, Inuyasha, Naruto), are there any anime series on instant that is subtitled with Japanese audio? Seems like there's really not that much subtitled content.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

That's about it that I've found too. Hulu-plus seems like it has a lot more subbed content if you want to shell out for that as well.

As for favorite movies on Netflix:

Holy poo poo Repo Man is on there! I'm not sure if it's new or if I just never looked for it since I own it and have seen it a million times. If you haven't seen it it's the best punk rock movie involving repo men and aliens and Emilio Estevez ever made. It's a great, funny, weird, low budget masterpiece.

Grab some cheap beer and watch it immediately.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Final Countdown is on streaming. Anyone who's ever had a drunk conversation about what the modern military could do against WW II era stuff will like this one. Tomcats vs Zeros!

Also bad news: One stream at a time :negative:

benzero
May 25, 2005

Brains for dinner, brains for lunch, brains for breakfast, brains for brunch.

a kitten posted:

That's about it that I've found too. Hulu-plus seems like it has a lot more subbed content if you want to shell out for that as well.

As for favorite movies on Netflix:

Holy poo poo Repo Man is on there! I'm not sure if it's new or if I just never looked for it since I own it and have seen it a million times. If you haven't seen it it's the best punk rock movie involving repo men and aliens and Emilio Estevez ever made. It's a great, funny, weird, low budget masterpiece.

Grab some cheap beer and watch it immediately.

This is good poo poo! I love this movie and can't recommend this enough. Also, I just finished Black Snake Moan and I think it was really good!

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

BarryMantlesnorks posted:

The Pixies documentary "loudQUIETloud" is up and if you have any interest in the Pixies or music documentaries or music in general you should watch it. It follows them on their 2004 reunion tour.

I would only recommend this movie if you're a really big fan of the Pixies. I'm a really big fan of their music, but I was completely bored through this entire movie. Most of the movie is the four members of the band sitting around in rooms far apart from one another not talking to each other. Imagine The Breakfast Club, only every character is Ally Sheedy.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

a kitten posted:

It's been there for a while. In celebration, let's go get sushi.. and not pay!

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

zoux posted:

Final Countdown is on streaming. Anyone who's ever had a drunk conversation about what the modern military could do against WW II era stuff will like this one. Tomcats vs Zeros!

Also bad news: One stream at a time :negative:

Who the hell streams more than one thing at a time? Who needs that ability?

Actually, I guess if you had kids upstairs watching something and you were trying to watch a movie downstairs it could suck.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

A Nice Boy posted:

Actually, I guess if you had kids upstairs watching something and you were trying to watch a movie downstairs it could suck.

Netflix confirmed that you can still use at least 2 streams at once (not sure who gets 2 and who gets more than 2) and the people who had problems just encountered an error Netflix is trying to fix.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

A Nice Boy posted:

My roommate and I each have a PS3 in different rooms and we split the cost of the account. I haven't seen any issues yet though I'm pretty sure we're on the one disc account.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Narwhale posted:

(not sure who gets 2 and who gets more than 2)

Basically it says that if you have 1-disc-at-home/stream that you get 1 device, 2-discs-at-home is 2 device, etc etc.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

casual poster posted:

Basically it says that if you have 1-disc-at-home/stream that you get 1 device, 2-discs-at-home is 2 device, etc etc.

It also says at least 2 at a time, so I guess 1 gets 2, 2 gets 2, 3 gets 3 and so on. So on? Does Netflix have an option for more than 3 discs at a time?

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Narwhale posted:

It also says at least 2 at a time, so I guess 1 gets 2, 2 gets 2, 3 gets 3 and so on. So on? Does Netflix have an option for more than 3 discs at a time?

Yes, I think you can get upwards of 10 disks but the plans get really expensive.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Narwhale posted:

Here's a thing on the page from the netflix TOS:

quote:

Some membership plans allow you to watch simultaneously on more than one personal computer or Netflix ready device at the same time. If you are on the 1 disc out at-a-time plan [or stream-only plan], you may watch only one device at a time. If you are on the 2 discs out at-a-time plan, you may watch on up to two devices at the same time. Members on the 3 disc plan can watch on up to three devices. The maximum is four devices simultaneously, and that is available for members on the 4 or greater discs out at-a-time plans.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

casual poster posted:

Here's a thing on the page from the netflix TOS:

Ah, I must have misread that article.

Bargain bin Laden
Nov 2, 2006

See how pathetic I am?

Narwhale posted:

Ah, I must have misread that article.

That article was mistaken, and they've fixed their error since then. It was just an error on Netflix's part where people were seeing that message when they shouldn't have been. They originally did state that it was down to one stream because of that mistake though.

Revdomezehis
Jul 26, 2003
OMG a Moose!

air- posted:

So besides the few Viz licenses (off the top of my head, I can think of Nana, Honey & Clover, Hikaru No Go, Bleach, Inuyasha, Naruto), are there any anime series on instant that is subtitled with Japanese audio? Seems like there's really not that much subtitled content.

Haven't bothered checking too much anime on Netflix streaming since stories in anime can be cringe-worthy enough on their own, they don't need some low rent voice actors doing squeaky voices making it worse.

That said, one of the best series ever made (And one of the few that I would recommend to anyone, including everyone in this thread regardless of your feelings towards anime) is available in native Japanese with subtitles, Monster. Since it's hard to give a synopsis without spoiling parts of the story, I'll just say it revolves around a doctor who goes against his boss to save the life of someone who ends up being not what they seem, which then ruins his life and he tries to correct his mistake.

That doesn't really do it justice since it's a really compelling plot and characters, if only more anime was like it rather than, well, pretty much any other anime available on Netflix.

Fralcon
Nov 25, 2002

by Ozmaugh
I've watched quite a bit of anime on netflix and here's some off the top of my head for people who like their anime with plenty of action.

Gun X Sword, really good even though the girl can be annoying (there's always one)
Samurai Champloo, loving amazing with hip hop soundtrack
Noien, awesome one about time travelers, crazy art style lotsa action
Afro Samurai and Afro Samurai: Resurrection, Samuel L. Jackson, nuff said
Darker Than Black, only watched 6 episodes of this but been meaning to watch the rest, it's good poo poo
Basilisk, they actually tried to do a live action movie called "Shinobi" based on this anime, movie sucks anime owns bones
Shigurui: Death Frenzy, this show is so goddamn artsy and stylish it's awesome
Claymore, insane action and one of the best animes ever
Moribito, based on a novel, not as action focused as the others but just a great anime, episode 3 is one of the best episodes of any anime I have ever seen

Everything I listed is streaming still I think, and the first 109 episodes of Bleach are on there too.

Also I started watching Monster and it was really slow and boring, but then again if someone isn't getting stabbed I tend to get bored. Except for Mushi-shi, show is like watching a painting.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Revdomezehis posted:

That doesn't really do it justice since it's a really compelling plot and characters, if only more anime was like it rather than, well, pretty much any other anime available on Netflix.

I have the same mentality as you regarding anime in general, but I figured I'd ask since I haven't taken the time to look in a while. Monster has been on my watchlist and I've heard good things about how deep the plot runs, so I'll check it out. The only excuse that's kept me away is the sheer length of the series.

I think you might like Honey & Clover. Some might call the plot a love story/romance between a bunch of art university students, but I see it as dealing with unrequited love and the fear of rejection. The plot, imagery, voice acting, music, all aspects of the show are strong. Character development is especially exceptional as it's full of characters that are relatable and down to earth, while simultaneously not falling into cliche anime archetypes. In other words, they come across as if they were real people dealing with real life problems. There's two seasons so hopefully the sequel is also on Netflix.

11b1p
Feb 5, 2008

This picture is worth 20 words or something.
The Expendables is now streaming

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Airplane! and Spaceballs are on there now.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.

Zwabu posted:

Been waiting for Airplane! forever. I really should just buy it.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Iron Man, Note by Note: The Making of Steinway L1037, and Yes Minister are all well-received in this thread and all go down in a week. If you've been keeping Note by Note on your backburner, you really should watch it soon.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Zwabu posted:

Yesssss

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

FadingChord posted:

Iron Man

You mean Iron Man 2? Netflix shows the first one as DVD only for me :(

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

MrGreenShirt posted:

You mean Iron Man 2? Netflix shows the first one as DVD only for me :(

Turns out it's the animated series of the same name. There's a lot of other stuff expiring this month, though, and it would do us procrastinators well to keep an eye out.

Rabidsamba
Sep 1, 2011
Not sure if its been mentioned, but I just finished watching Wristcutters: A Love Story on instant and was really surprised at how much I enjoyed it considering it was just a random movie I saw scrolling through the main page on Netflix.

e n i s h i
Dec 30, 2002

Oh, boysenberry!
Departures is a pretty good Japanese movie. It has an indie feel to it & is about a guy who takes on the job of preparing people for the afterlife. Highly recommended, but as a warning -- its one of those sensitive, slow movies.

The Man from Nowhere is a Korean movie which is highly acclaimed & supposedly has one of the best knife scenes of all time. Not samurai swords but switchblade street poo poo. I don't think the storyline is very great, but it's worth a watch!

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

e n i s h i posted:

Departures is a pretty good Japanese movie. It has an indie feel to it & is about a guy who takes on the job of preparing people for the afterlife. Highly recommended, but as a warning -- its one of those sensitive, slow movies.

I loved it! It's basically All Things Great and Small, only instead of farm animals and quirky country folk you have dead bodies and grieving families! Yay!

Gravybong
Apr 24, 2007

Smokin' weed all day. All I do is smoke weed. Every day of my life it's all I do. I don't give a FUCK! Weed.

Rabidsamba posted:

Not sure if its been mentioned, but I just finished watching Wristcutters: A Love Story on instant and was really surprised at how much I enjoyed it considering it was just a random movie I saw scrolling through the main page on Netflix.

I saw this movie in theaters and thoroughly recommend it, I've watched it 5 or so times, a movie only topped in number of views for me by The Fifth Element

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Breaking Bad Seasons 1-3 are now up. Please watch it as soon as possible.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

e n i s h i posted:

The Man from Nowhere is a Korean movie which is highly acclaimed & supposedly has one of the best knife scenes of all time. Not samurai swords but switchblade street poo poo. I don't think the storyline is very great, but it's worth a watch!

It's been mentioned before, but holy poo poo this movie. It's a one-in-a-million film in a sea of generic Korean revenge movies. See this before Hollywood makes a Gritty Reboot with Robert Pattinson or whoever.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Narwhale posted:

Oh sweet this just made my day!

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Narwhale posted:

Literally the week after I finish watching them all via disc they put them up on instant!

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Narwhale posted:

Sweet! I'm about half way through Season 2 of Mad Men. Once I get through that, I'll start on Breaking Bad. Great news.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Narwhale posted:

loving awesome, just as I start my rewatch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabidsamba
Sep 1, 2011

Narwhale posted:

There goes my weekend

• Locked thread