Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

TheStampede posted:

FIGHT!

Nice throws dude, he was like a ragdoll on more then a few occasions :D I loved the right teep to the midsection (I think it hit the waistline?) about midways of the fight, down he goes, loving perfect!

Also overuse of the jab doesn't exist!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
ok so I can't train judo for two weeks so I'm working on conditionning mostly and watching youtube videos/thinking of combos/etc.

I was wondering if anyone doing judo though sasae tsuri komi ashi (or hiza guruma) into harai goshi could work? Does anyone do this combo and if so any tips to make it work? I'm sort of "shadow throwing" in my kitchen and living room while I'm not doing much (watching TV, waiting for stuff to cook) and working the motions without an oponent make it seem like it should work, but I'm really not sure.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

KingColliwog posted:

ok so I can't train judo for two weeks so I'm working on conditionning mostly and watching youtube videos/thinking of combos/etc.

I was wondering if anyone doing judo though sasae tsuri komi ashi (or hiza guruma) into harai goshi could work? Does anyone do this combo and if so any tips to make it work? I'm sort of "shadow throwing" in my kitchen and living room while I'm not doing much (watching TV, waiting for stuff to cook) and working the motions without an oponent make it seem like it should work, but I'm really not sure.

Here's my 2 cents on the matter

I'm assuming you are talking about a righty vs righty situation, where yes, it does work because if the sasae makes your opponent step, then his foot placement makes him more vulnerable to forward throws. However an aggressive pull that sasae uses can also encourage your opponent to sink his weight back making the kuzushi (off balancing) for a forward throw like harai goshi more difficult to achieve.

So in other words, yeah it works, but Judo isn't about combinations on paper or flowcharts, but more about feeling out how your opponent reacts to you.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

Omglosser posted:

Haha yeah you did look pretty :smug: after throwing him. In my humble know-nothing-know-it-all opinion, I think you did pretty good. I agree you should've been more aggressive against that guy. If round 1 hadn't of ended when it did I'm sure you could've overwhelmed him if you just flat out went berzerker rage on him.

Yeah, that's what I feel holds me back the most. I never go out for blood.

quote:

Were you nervous? You seemed pretty relaxed on your way to the ring.

You're right, I wasn't really that nervous. At this point I've realized you get more banged up in training/sparring, and a fight is just 6 minutes of really hard sparring, so I try not to make it a big deal in my head anymore. I got too laid back in my last fight though, and let the guy take a split decisions because I let him lay on my gasping in the clinch. That's why I throw my opponent so much and do my best to keep my back off the ropes. I've noticed most people at my level will try and get in the clinch when their tired and throw lovely knees without pummeling for a better position or angle. Something I need to capitalize on more like I did this time.

quote:

Did that guy's kicks hurt? He totally didn't look like he was serious about throwing those kicks.

No, while he threw a lot of kicks, none of them found their mark or had much power to them. I got through that fight pretty unscathed, with only a sore right knee from some kicks I checked. I never really felt threatened by his strikes, though he did tag me twice in the fight when I got cocky after some teeps and left my hands down.

Drewjitsu posted:

You threw some 1-2's early in the first round that were pretty good, except for the fact that you dropped your left as you were throwing the straight (like around the 3:30 mark).

Thanks for the advice. Ha, yeah, that's one of the best combo's I threw, but it was still pretty sloppy. I feel my strength is in my legs, more then my hands, but throwing a good kick takes so much more effort then a flurry of half-assed punches...

Ligur posted:

KIND WORDS!

Thanks man! That means a lot from one of our other resident head kickers. Yeah, I think I got him right above his right hip. Probably more luck then anything, but that's not what I told the ladies at the after party. :v:

Fontoyn posted:

I hope my fight sort of goes like that. I just found out the details and it's 3 rounds, 1.5 minutes each, and no knees/limited clinch.

otherwise known as an awesome brawl people will buy tickets to see.

Don't worry about it. It's not as bad as you think it will be, especially if you've sparred a lot. And I guarantee you won't remember a drat thing you planned on doing or had in mind ahead of time the moment that bell rings, so don't sweet that stuff. Just remember to keep your hands up and your head down, and maybe to kick him really hard ever once and a while.

But most importantly, have fun! God drat is it a blast to get in the ring!

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
Since there are a number of goons doing MMA now I feel like this is a good place to ask. Right now I'm focusing mainly BJJ (gi) and Judo.

If I wanted to switch to MMA (a year or two from now) and compete how much would I need to bulk up? I'm Currently 5'10" and 140 lb which is skinny as gently caress.

I don't bother cutting weight for grappling competitions so I'm not sure how much I could hypothetically lose.

niethan posted:

How old are you?
Twenty Six.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 6, 2011

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
How old are you?

Rinar
Sep 9, 2007
Hey guys, I've been reading the A/T MA threads for about a year now and was looking forward to finally getting to try this whole 'hugging dudes' thing. I just changed jobs to finally allow me to train and just came back from my first ever BJJ practise. I've rarely had so much fun at any kind of sport practise as I did tonight. I just wanted to thank you guys for giving me the chance to learn so much martial arts and how to see what's real and what's 'Bullshido.'

I also thought I'd give you guys a chance to read about my gym and tell me what you think about it. I live in Iceland and the most respected gym here is probably Mjölnir where I just started training. Gunnar Nelson is one of the founders of it and the guy has a pretty good track record both in MMA and BJJ competitions.

http://mjolnir.is/?page_id=136

Seriously guys, thanks for creating this amazing thread and awakening an interest that I already love after just an hour of rolling.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Rinar posted:

Gunnar Nelson is one of the founders of it

wikipedia posted:

Nelson is the son of teen idol Ricky Nelson and actress Kristin Harmon. He is the identical twin brother of Matthew Nelson, and brother of Tracy Nelson and musician Sam Nelson. His paternal grandparents are Ozzie Nelson and Harriet Hilliard from the television program, Ozzie and Harriet. His maternal grandparents are football player and sports broadcaster Tom Harmon and the 1940s b-movie actress Elyse Knox. His maternal uncle is actor Mark Harmon.
This isn't a super helpful post or anything but holy poo poo that guy is connected. His uncle is Agent Gibbs for christ sakes.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Gunnar is an outstanding grappler and a true phenom. He got his blackbelt in 4 years I think and did fantastic at ADCC including beating Jeff Monson. He trains at our school when he visits NY (Renzo Gracie Academy) and Renzo awarded him his blackbelt though he remains affiliated with SBGi.

Uh, wrong Gunnar Nelson Nierbo.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 6, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KingColliwog posted:

I use Sasae into Hari-Makikomi, which is very similar. This is tough to explain in text but easy to show. The way I like to set it up is to get them moving to the side you do the Sasae to start the throw, so you are able to gain kuzushi. Personally, I use it with my right foot so I work to get them moving to that side and then toss in the Sasae. The first essential part is committing to the Sasae - you have to get them to react. Then I make my next move based off their reaction and kuzushi. If I get kuzushi to their front left I'll jump into a lapel side drop Ippon. If I get kuzushi to the front or front right I follow through on my momentum to the Harai. If the kuzushi is anywhere backwards I'll follow through into an O-Soto-Gari. If I don't gain kuzushi I follow through with the Harai and turtle.

The key to using Sasae as the start of a combo is that you have to be fluid. Pop in the Sasae and feel how they react. The instant you feel how they shift their balance you just adjust the second part of your combo to take advantage of what they just gave you.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Oh! thats hilarious. The image in my head about some guy playing guitar and then donning a gi and kicking rear end in the dojo has been ruined.

Yuns posted:

Google Rikki Rockett BJJ and the image in your head should return.
Ahh, there we go. I love how martial arts transcends so many things.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 6, 2011

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Nierbo posted:

Oh! thats hilarious. The image in my head about some guy playing guitar and then donning a gi and kicking rear end in the dojo has been ruined.
Google Rikki Rockett BJJ and the image in your head should return.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Similar to King Colliwogs question, can someone do an analysis on osoto gari to hiza guruma, is it viable etc. I can't get to judo for a few weeks so I'm scheming.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007

Nierbo posted:

Similar to King Colliwogs question, can someone do an analysis on osoto gari to hiza guruma, is it viable etc. I can't get to judo for a few weeks so I'm scheming.

I'm not good enough to comment on this but it might be helpful to say what side you are thinking of attacking. Like osotogari left ->Hiza Right.

I'm so new at judo but 95% of my successful forward throws are from osoto gari -> Harai Ogoshi both attacking the same side. The remaining 5% is osoto - tai Otoshi same side for when they take a really big step backwards to avoid the osoto gari.

RIght now I'm concentrating on developing my throws instead of combos. I'd like to get a good uchi mata but I've only pulled it off once in randori.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Office Sheep posted:

I'm not good enough to comment on this but it might be helpful to say what side you are thinking of attacking. Like osotogari left ->Hiza Right.

I'm so new at judo but 95% of my successful forward throws are from osoto gari -> Harai Ogoshi both attacking the same side. The remaining 5% is osoto - tai Otoshi same side for when they take a really big step backwards to avoid the osoto gari.

RIght now I'm concentrating on developing my throws instead of combos. I'd like to get a good uchi mata but I've only pulled it off once in randori.
Well I was thinking right handed for both, i.e. I move to his right for the osoto and then put my foot on his left knee as I turn my body. and I end up facing where he was orignially facing.
I don't think it could be RH osoto > LH hiza guruma. In my mind the throw requires my left foot to be planted the whole time.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 6, 2011

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Nierbo posted:

Well I was thinking right handed for both, i.e. I move to his right for the osoto and then put my foot on his left knee as I turn my body. and I end up facing where he was orignially facing.
I don't think it could be RH osoto > LH hiza guruma. In my mind the throw requires my left foot to be planted the whole time.

You have to convince him to step back with his right leg. The initial step into your osotogari MUST be convincing. It is helpful to create some lateral movement in your opponent using your hands and feet, but when you step in for osoto it must be somewhat deep, and it must scare him enough to step back with his right leg. When he steps his weight will be on his left leg, which is there the kuzushi for hiza guruma or sasae is located. This is for right osoto, left hiza/sasae

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

swmmrmanshen posted:

Here's my 2 cents on the matter

I'm assuming you are talking about a righty vs righty situation, where yes, it does work because if the sasae makes your opponent step, then his foot placement makes him more vulnerable to forward throws. However an aggressive pull that sasae uses can also encourage your opponent to sink his weight back making the kuzushi (off balancing) for a forward throw like harai goshi more difficult to achieve.

So in other words, yeah it works, but Judo isn't about combinations on paper or flowcharts, but more about feeling out how your opponent reacts to you.

Thanks for the insight, I'm of course assuming that my opponent will shift his weight/move a certain way for the combo to work and won't go SASAE-HARAI! no matter what his reaction is.

Thoguh posted:

I use Sasae into Hari-Makikomi, which is very similar. This is tough to explain in text but easy to show. The way I like to set it up is to get them moving to the side you do the Sasae to start the throw, so you are able to gain kuzushi. Personally, I use it with my right foot so I work to get them moving to that side and then toss in the Sasae. The first essential part is committing to the Sasae - you have to get them to react. Then I make my next move based off their reaction and kuzushi. If I get kuzushi to their front left I'll jump into a lapel side drop Ippon. If I get kuzushi to the front or front right I follow through on my momentum to the Harai. If the kuzushi is anywhere backwards I'll follow through into an O-Soto-Gari. If I don't gain kuzushi I follow through with the Harai and turtle.

The key to using Sasae as the start of a combo is that you have to be fluid. Pop in the Sasae and feel how they react. The instant you feel how they shift their balance you just adjust the second part of your combo to take advantage of what they just gave you.

Thanks for the reply. I usually do my sasae and hiza guruma on the lapel side with a right handed grip (right foot) so this is directly applicable to me. I don't think I'd be fast enough to switch to an Osoto if they put their weight back though. My osoto is by far my weakest throw so that might just be why.

Nierbo posted:

I'm not sure what you are saying here. You move to their right to do a right handed O soto gari. Then you keep your left foot planted from the O soto and you bring your right foot from behind their leg and put it on their left knee for the hiza?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KingColliwog posted:

Thanks for the reply. I usually do my sasae and hiza guruma on the lapel side with a right handed grip (right foot) so this is directly applicable to me. I don't think I'd be fast enough to switch to an Osoto if they put their weight back though. My osoto is by far my weakest throw so that might just be why.

You don't have to get turned around to totally face them for the O-Soto in a combo like this. Anything past perpendicular is fine. When I hit this combo I ussually end up 45-60 degrees off of going straight back with the O-Soto. This allows you to keep the momentum from the Sasae set up. It works because the movement is very similar to Harai, just in a sideways/backwards direction rather than forward.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
The way I'm picturing it from what you've said is something like this :

From sasae (foot still on their ankle). Drop right foot to the ground, small diagonal step to the left with the left foot and then O soto from that position at an angle. Or do you just do not move your left foot at all?

Really interesting anyway. Will need to try that for sure

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

swmmrmanshen posted:

You have to convince him to step back with his right leg. The initial step into your osotogari MUST be convincing. It is helpful to create some lateral movement in your opponent using your hands and feet, but when you step in for osoto it must be somewhat deep, and it must scare him enough to step back with his right leg. When he steps his weight will be on his left leg, which is there the kuzushi for hiza guruma or sasae is located. This is for right osoto, left hiza/sasae
Exactly what I had in mind. Thanks.

kolliwog posted:

I'm not sure what you are saying here. You move to their right to do a right handed O soto gari. Then you keep your left foot planted from the O soto and you bring your right foot from behind their leg and put it on their left knee for the hiza?
Well you wouldn't kick your right leg up otherwise it would take far too long to get it back in front of you, but the idea is to just jump in and use your chest and upper body to trick them into thinking you're serious about the osoto. The reason I think about things like this is that 85%+ people at my gym are green belt or higher and they know that I only know the first 8 throws so I'm very predictable and I just get blocked all the time.

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat
Why are you still worrying about setups and followups? Quit thinking like that, I've said it a million times: it will only give you bad judo. Make your sasae good enough that it works every time on every opponent (and actually throw them, dragging them to the ground doesn't cut it). Don't worry about what you'd do if it didn't work- if your sasae failed then that means you did it wrong, so what makes you think your followup throw would be any better? Take it a step at a time, stop being so impatient with your training, and don't ever anticipate failure.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Rinar posted:

http://mjolnir.is/?page_id=136

Seriously guys, thanks for creating this amazing thread and awakening an interest that I already love after just an hour of rolling.

Welcome to the club, duder! Hugging guys owns.

I think I trained briefly with a guy from that gym in New York, but I can't remember his name.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ridleys Revenge posted:

Why are you still worrying about setups and followups? Quit thinking like that, I've said it a million times: it will only give you bad judo. Make your sasae good enough that it works every time on every opponent (and actually throw them, dragging them to the ground doesn't cut it). Don't worry about what you'd do if it didn't work- if your sasae failed then that means you did it wrong, so what makes you think your followup throw would be any better? Take it a step at a time, stop being so impatient with your training, and don't ever anticipate failure.

Because Sasae is a perfect technique for forcing your opponent to react and give you an opening for a big throw.

"Do it right and you're good" is horrible, horrible advice for this context and is just likely to cause someone to get frustrated and leave the sport. Even guys like Koga and Yamashita used their Seio and O-Soto as set ups for combos. A beautiful part of Judo is finding what personal variations and combinations work for you. The kata versions of throws are just the idealized base to build off of.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
I'm in a long run of just not being able to get the technique being taught in class that day. Specificly, my inside sweeps, uchi mata and seoi are awful. I just can't seem to put all the footwork and kazuchi together. I think it's those triangle and stutter steps. I miss when we were working on Georgian grip stuff.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Office Sheep posted:

I'm in a long run of just not being able to get the technique being taught in class that day. Specificly, my inside sweeps, uchi mata and seoi are awful. I just can't seem to put all the footwork and kazuchi together. I think it's those triangle and stutter steps. I miss when we were working on Georgian grip stuff.

Judo is really, really, really drat hard. I believe that executing a perfect throw is mechanically much more complicated than most any other techniques in MA. It requires coordinated efforts from every part of the body, and techniques are filled with subtleties that are unique to different judoka.

Ok, I'm ready to be horribly flamed.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

swmmrmanshen posted:

Judo is really, really, really drat hard. I believe that executing a perfect throw is mechanically much more complicated than most any other techniques in MA. It requires coordinated efforts from every part of the body, and techniques are filled with subtleties that are unique to different judoka.

Yeah the same can really be said for a lot of techniques/arts.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

swmmrmanshen posted:

I think it's just that in judo there's no half measure and you have automatic feedback. You either do the thing close to perfect and your opponent falls or you don't do it perfectly and the oponent is left standing.

Performing a kick perfectly is probably just as hard, but a not so perfect kick both still looks like a kick and hurt your opponent, just less.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
In general though, that's still a really dangerous attitude to have. 'If you're not getting the results you want, then blame the fighter, not the technique'. This isn't to say that the technique isn't perfect, but there could be a ton of extraneous reasons why the technique isn't perfect. Using the kick example, simply the fact that different people have different bone densities can differentiate between a 'perfect kick' and what's not a perfect kick.

If you have heavy legs, you can just chew away with low kicks, while if you don't, all you need is one head kick to land. Both are 'perfect' per se, but it changes with the fighter.

One should do their best to master all techniques, but simply perfect that which works best for you. If it involves a series or set-up in order to get it to work (and it DOES work in live training), then why not?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KingColliwog posted:

I think it's just that in judo there's no half measure and you have automatic feedback. You either do the thing close to perfect and your opponent falls or you don't do it perfectly and the oponent is left standing.

I am not saying their is anything inherently wrong with the approach "do it until it works". Hell, in the Masterclass book on O-Soto-Gari Yamashita spends a few pages talking about how it took him years to develop his O-Soto and his instructor made him push through it even if it didn't work great at first. But the difference there is the instructor had a plan, gave him constant feedback and instruction, and made sure that he was constantly improving. But that's totally different from somebody just asking a question on a messege board about how to make a combo work better. It's just elitist and part of why a lot of people turn away from Judo when they have instructors who take that attitude.

It does take years to develop a throw to perfection. But the key word there is "develop", not just "It doesn't work because you are bad at it"

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Thoguh posted:

I am not saying their is anything inherently wrong with the approach "do it until it works". Hell, in the Masterclass book on O-Soto-Gari Yamashita spends a few pages talking about how it took him years to develop his O-Soto and his instructor made him push through it even if it didn't work great at first. But the difference there is the instructor had a plan, gave him constant feedback and instruction, and made sure that he was constantly improving. But that's totally different from somebody just asking a question on a messege board about how to make a combo work better. It's just elitist and part of why a lot of people turn away from Judo when they have instructors who take that attitude.

It does take years to develop a throw to perfection. But the key word there is "develop", not just "It doesn't work because you are bad at it"

I don't agree with RR by the way, in my opinion it's good judo to use certain technique to force your opponent to give you certain reaction so you can follow-up with another technique. The way I see judo is very different from the way RR sees it and we had a few arguments in the past about that, I try not to anymore because I'm more into sport judo while he's not so we're basically not doing the same MA.

My message was just responding to swmmrmanshen that said that judo techniques were just harder than moves from other martial arts. I was just saying -before her got flamed- that he was probably under that impression because with a move like a kick or whatever there's some sort of "linear" (I'm going to get corrected on that, but you know what I mean) progression where your kick gets better from week to week, but you still have a kick from the beginning. It just hurt more/is more precise/faster/etc. as you perfect the technique.

With judo, the progression is different. At first you don't have a throw at all since you need a basic level of proficiency to be able to throw someone at all. I think that's why judo feels like it's basically just harder.

Xguard86 posted:

I think what RR means is that you shouldn't do a technique expecting it to fail so you can counter, you should have the counter ready if it fails.

It takes time to build to that level and you'll end up better faster if you try to get your first technique down, rather than practicing under the assumption it won't work. Like if no one respects your jab, that jab-cross combo isn't too useful.

I think that's true and if you have the right timing for your first technique to work then you should finish with this. But sometime in a fight you can use a technique that you know won't work because it will create movement that you can use with another technique. But yeah, it's important that your first technique forces him to move. If it's not convincing/menacing the combo won't work anyway because it won't force your opponent to move. The first move in a combo should be "he either he moves of he falls" and then you react to that movement.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 7, 2011

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I think what RR means is that you shouldn't do a technique expecting it to fail so you can counter, you should have the counter ready if it fails.

It takes time to build to that level and you'll end up better faster if you try to get your first technique down, rather than practicing under the assumption it won't work. Like if no one respects your jab, that jab-cross combo isn't too useful.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Oh wow, I just had a dream where I was trying to put an ankle lock on someone but when I extended my body there was still a ton of wiggleroom and I couldn't tighten it up and he wouldn't tap. It was like the equivalent of the "naked public speaking" dream. Anyone else get weird martial arts dreams?

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Buh, annoying. Overexerted one of my arms again, last time this happened I was out of training for 6 months.

Luckily, I actually went to a doctor this time, and should be up and running within a month. Meanwhile I need to avoid strength training, stretch a lot and take it easy. So I suppose I'll stop hitting the weights and just do a lot of technique drilling for the next month. Might join in on some Aikido classes or something, I dunno.

Also, a question. I want to pick up some gloves, shin guards, knee pads etc through the internet, because the local selection is poor and overpriced. Are there any general sizing charts to use? No goddamn clue what size/weight I need to order all this stuff in, and google isn't being much help.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
In BJJ, why is the thumb not used when gripping your opponent's wrist?

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

origami posted:

I've always done it like that to prevent my thumb from being wrenched too far in the wrong direction if the opponent gets enough leverage to jerk his arm away.

NovemberMike posted:

Oh wow, I just had a dream where I was trying to put an ankle lock on someone but when I extended my body there was still a ton of wiggleroom and I couldn't tighten it up and he wouldn't tap. It was like the equivalent of the "naked public speaking" dream. Anyone else get weird martial arts dreams?
I once dreamed i was fighting a dude who was tattooed full of binary code and all my punches went through his head.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

origami posted:

It's used all the time. It's not used for kimuras because it creates a pivot point to twist out of the submission and makes it harder to transfer to the armbar if you want to switch up.

edit: beaten, and I'm pretty sure everybody that's ever done MA has had the dream where your punches don't hurt the guy you're fighting.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

origami posted:

Depends on the position, e.g. setting up an arm drag from butterfly you absolutely would. In positions where your opponent wants to straighten their arm to escape (kimura/america) a monkey grip is simply stronger/more secure and allows you to wrist curl for extra leverage.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
its also for safety. Getting your thumb caught and dislocated is very painful and annoying, plus easily avoided by grabbing with a four finger grip.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Difficult question I now have the occasion to wax and wane over: how do you UN-TEACH people from their bad habits for a contact sport, without flooring anyone? Or is un-teaching the faster, or the slower path, when the basic mechanics are decent?

Say, take contact fighting: could it be easier (in general - nobody is a copy nor an island) to teach someone to do a kick or a punch "right" from the beginning, that is, to expect a counter. Or to technically perform the movement into empty space or maybe a mitt, with no worries over getting countered, until it is good enough, and then throw in a resisting partner.

A mystery!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

Ligur posted:

A mystery!

Hmmn, I'd say as long as you are teaching them the proper form and general basic defense from the start, you can hold off on the actual resistance and counters until it looks like they are handling the basic components of the strike. Throwing a good punch is more technical then most people realize, and I guess you'd want to make sure they can do that before you started making them worry about the counter. One step at a time, and all.

• Locked thread