Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Golbez posted:

I have a routine dentist appointment tomorrow and have forgotten all the rules, how long should I go without eating before the appointment?

I have never heard of these rules. Neither my dentist nor his receptionist have ever said anything about not eating beforehand, although I usually brush right before I go in case my breath is awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Are you being put under any sort of general anesthetic? If not don't worry about it, just brush your teeth like AlphaDog said, as a courtesy to the poor suckers who have to deal with your mouth after you've gone long enough without dental care to forget all the rules :P

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Flossing is probably a good idea also. If you get a fluoride treatment you should not eat or drink anything for 30 minutes after, but they should tell you that afterwards anyway.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
I've also found that brushing your teeth really well in the week/few days leading up to the appointment usually shortens the amount of time they spend doing the routine cleaning. Unless of course you already have nasty unkempt teeth.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

A friend of mine is helping me out with getting a job. He's given me a few email addresses that I need to send my resume to but I'm wondering how a cover letter is better handled. Should my cover letter be the body of the email, or should I stick it in front of my resume in the same pdf with just a quick sentence in the email explaining what I've sent them?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Teeter posted:

A friend of mine is helping me out with getting a job. He's given me a few email addresses that I need to send my resume to but I'm wondering how a cover letter is better handled. Should my cover letter be the body of the email, or should I stick it in front of my resume in the same pdf with just a quick sentence in the email explaining what I've sent them?

I usually make my cover letter the email.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Teeter posted:

I usually send it with the resume, and just say "Enclosed please find: cover letter, resume", like sending a business letter. I don't know if it's the "right" way, but it's worked in the past.

Rhizoid
May 8, 2003

Takifugu!

Teeter posted:

Recent job hunting tips suggest that your application is more likely to be read on a blackberry or other smartphone, so cover letters are best in the body of the email to read without downloading an attachment.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Teeter posted:

Oldie but goodie. Follow this advice and you're miles ahead of the competition:

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/sfo/101949754.html

ThatFuckingCat
Sep 4, 2011
I'm obsessed with finding some sort of music video I've seen years ago. If anyone knows this video, please let me know and put my mind at ease. Here's what I remember.

* It's somewhat old, looks like something that was played on TV in the 70's and recorded by someone.
* It's a nordic song, or at least the title of the video reminded me of a nordic language.
* There are two guys on stage, wearing suits. One of them is doing something that resembles dancing. He (or maybe the other one) also plays a Kazoo. The other just sings
* And the most "memorable" part, out of nowhere a guy walks through the stage holding a glass pane. He puts his open mouth against it and blows on it, making him look like a blowfish or something.

I don't know why this video suddenly came to me. I can't remember how I found it. I have some recollection that those guys were performing a folk song, maybe finnish or swedish.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Good advice in general but also please consider checking your grammar and spelling carefully. Gross errors and adding unnecessary apostrophes when trying to pluralize is a big turn off for many people. Just keep in mind that the resume reviewer, at first, is just skimming letters and resumes looking for reasons to trash as many as possible to narrow the field. Be perfect.

(I would trash the resume of that hiring guy in the CL post because he thinks apostrophes are required to pluralize words. And he's in charge of hiring marketers and copywriters? :wth:)

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Niger.

I was listening to the BBC today and they pronounced it nee-JSHER.

I had always pronounced it NYE-jurr. Which one is more accepted?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I've always used NYE-jurr too and I think it's more common in the West, but it's wrong.

http://www.slate.com/id/2085735/

quote:

Well, it's not "NYE-jur." Explainer used this pronunciation when he called Niger's embassy this morning and was vigorously chided by the receptionist. Those in the know use the French-sounding "nee-ZHER," and emphasize the second syllable so the word makes an approximate rhyme with "Pierre."

Until 1960, Niger was a colony of France, and French is still Niger's official language. Its neighbor Nigeria, with which it is occasionally confused, was under English control before it gained its independence, also in 1960; that's why the pronunciations differ so sharply.

What do you call someone who hails from Niger? Old-schoolers (and, in what an editor there called "something of an oversight," the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary) still use the archaic "Nigerois" (nee-zher-WAH); more common and up-to-date is "Nigerien" (nee-ZHER-yen). Still, both are acceptable, as long as you don't call your friend in Niamey a Nigerian.

edit: By the West what I really should have said is non-French speaking countries.

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

AlphaDog posted:

I guess some Aussie dude complaining to USPS isn't going to loving help, either, but it will be an interesting experience, I guess.

The United States Post Office Postal Inspectors take mail fraud very seriously (really!), so if there's the slightest chance that your eBay seller has intentionally defrauded you, I would definitely get the Postal Inspectors involved. If he used the U.S. mails to defraud people, he's their meat. Couldn't hurt, might help.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

randyest posted:

Good advice in general but also please consider checking your grammar and spelling carefully. Gross errors and adding unnecessary apostrophes when trying to pluralize is a big turn off for many people. Just keep in mind that the resume reviewer, at first, is just skimming letters and resumes looking for reasons to trash as many as possible to narrow the field. Be perfect.

(I would trash the resume of that hiring guy in the CL post because he thinks apostrophes are required to pluralize words. And he's in charge of hiring marketers and copywriters? :wth:)

True. Those things are paramount.

I just stress cover letters because people seem to think they are ok to C&P as some form letter or wherever when the opposite is true. It's ok to kind of have the same things to say about yourself in a cover letter but for the most part you should click compose and start typing, then attach resume when done.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Nice link, cheers! I've got loads of students who are totally loving hopeless at writing cover letters and CVs in English. They just don't understand that it's not a formula and that every single person doesn't get equal consideration.

Pennant
Aug 24, 2007

~~~~~ everybody move your feet and feel united oooh ooh ooh ~~~~~
In the UK, how much it cost an employer to hire 1 person on minimum wage for 1 month at 35 hours a month, including NI contributions and PAYE?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

the posted:

Niger.

I was listening to the BBC today and they pronounced it nee-JSHER.

I had always pronounced it NYE-jurr. Which one is more accepted?

nee-JSHER. It's French. People from Nigeria are called Nigerians, people from Niger are Nigeriens. If you pronounced the country "NYE-jurr", then Nigerian and Nigerien would sound almost identical.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
My girlfriend and I are considering marriage. She's currently in the country on a student visa, but she's done with school in just a few months. I'm dealing with the local INS office, but can someone tell me if she'd be allowed to stay in the country while the paperwork for the whole thing is processed?

Aside from the government's website, are there any good sources of information for the process? A google search brings up websites for law offices.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

KittenofDoom posted:

My girlfriend and I are considering marriage. She's currently in the country on a student visa, but she's done with school in just a few months. I'm dealing with the local INS office, but can someone tell me if she'd be allowed to stay in the country while the paperwork for the whole thing is processed?

Aside from the government's website, are there any good sources of information for the process? A google search brings up websites for law offices.

Maybe try and see if her embassy is any help? I would think they would have some answers, or at least know where to look.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

KittenofDoom posted:

Disclaimer: I am in Australia.

I moved here with my fiance, and had a working holiday visa which allowed me to stay in the country for up to one year. In this time, I applied for a permanent partner visa, and as part of that process I got what's called a bridging visa, which allowed me to stay here for up to two years while they processed my paperwork, during which I could work as well.

I imagine it would be very similar in the US.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I don't know why I was thinking about this as I was riding my bike, but merely the act of doing something that LOOKS like a crime illegal? Like say, "stealing" your own bicycle? I once saw a video of someone doing that on youtube, to demonstrate how easy it was to steal a bicycle and how few people would try to stop it (no one said or did anything to him while he was going through the chain with a hacksaw).

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

Pennant posted:

In the UK, how much it cost an employer to hire 1 person on minimum wage for 1 month at 35 hours a month, including NI contributions and PAYE?

Depends on the employee's personal allowance, if they are only working that job then nothing as 35 hours per month is below the threshold for NI.

You can us the calculator here though http://listentotaxman.com/index.php

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

KittenofDoom posted:

I think (though I'm not 100% sure) that if you get married before her visa is up, then you can just file an I-130 Petition for an Alien Relative form. If you plan to wait to get married until after her visa expires, then I think she will need a K-1 visa, and I'm not sure if you can use an I-539 Application To Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status to change her visa to a K1 or if she'll have to return to her home country and start the very extremely tiresome process from scratch with an I-129F Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) form. If it turns out that she has to go back home to get the K1 visa (and keep in mind I don't know this for sure), you're better off just marrying in a hurry and then filing an I-130. I'm working on getting a K1 visa for my fiance now and it's a bitch, let me tell you. A huge hassle and up to 9 months (or more?) of waiting.

Your best bet is to look at the USCIS website. It can be a bit dense and confusing, so a really great website I recommend is Visajourney.com. There are step-by-step guides there for everything you need, and forums in case you have any questions. Your situation is not at all uncommon, so I'm sure you'll be able to find the answers you need.

Florida Betty fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 8, 2011

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Is there any liquid or solid that glass can't safely hold besides to the point where heat or extreme cold would damage the glass?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Dudebro posted:

Is there any liquid or solid that glass can't safely hold besides to the point where heat or extreme cold would damage the glass?

Hydrofluoric acid

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Most liquid gases require special dewars.

lotor9530
Apr 29, 2009

Dudebro posted:

Certain acids and bases (hydrofluoric acid, sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide come to mind). Also, glass etching cream is composed of dilute Barium Sulfate, Sulfuric Acid, Sodium Bifluoride, and Ammonium Bifluoride, I would assume that a more concentrated form would not be safely held.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
So what kind of containers would one put these various acids and bases in? I don't remember if I used any special containers in high school or even university labs.

SlightButSteady
Sep 13, 2007

Soiled Meat

Dudebro posted:

So what kind of containers would one put these various acids and bases in? I don't remember if I used any special containers in high school or even university labs.

Plastics like PTFE http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytetrafluoroethylene are used to contain some super acids like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluoroantimonic_acid - Which is a pretty strong acid.

Edit: also glass sometimes has trouble holding Superfluids: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FudzqfpLLs

SlightButSteady fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 8, 2011

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I'm going to the Minneapolis area on business next week. What rush hour traffic on US-169 like?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
When I moved into my apartment, someone got me a Britta pitcher as a housewarming gift. I promptly filled it up with water, set it in the fridge, and forgot about it, opting to just drink tap water instead. A little over a year later, I notice it in the back of my fridge, pull it out, and dump it out. I didn't expect the water to be good any more, and it's kinda slimy, with grey mucus-y looking stuff floating in it. I figure it's some sort of mold, scrub the thing out with bleach, and put it in my cupboard.

What was living in my unused water pitcher? I'd figure that pretty much anything would have to eat something, or photosynthize, maybe. However, all that this thing has gotten is cold, water, and time.

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

Gravity Pike posted:

When I moved into my apartment, someone got me a Britta pitcher as a housewarming gift. I promptly filled it up with water, set it in the fridge, and forgot about it, opting to just drink tap water instead. A little over a year later, I notice it in the back of my fridge, pull it out, and dump it out. I didn't expect the water to be good any more, and it's kinda slimy, with grey mucus-y looking stuff floating in it. I figure it's some sort of mold, scrub the thing out with bleach, and put it in my cupboard.

What was living in my unused water pitcher? I'd figure that pretty much anything would have to eat something, or photosynthize, maybe. However, all that this thing has gotten is cold, water, and time.

My money would be on cross-contamination from other items in your fridge. Likely some other food items spread bacteria or fungus and given the time frame, had enough time to grow a colony.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
edit: wrong thread

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Why do some states have "highway patrol", and some have state police? Do states with highway patrols only use them for guarding highways, or is the difference in name only, and the highway patrol outfits do all the normal police stuff (detectives, undercover operations, SWAT, etc.) as well as being on the highways? Probably a very stupid question, but something I've always wondered.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Mike Tysons CARFAX posted:

I'm looking for a part time college job and came across this on craigslist. I'm not necessarily interested in the job (whatever the gently caress it is) but are these things legit, or are they just spam?
I'd say it's almost certainly this:

TremendousMajestic posted:

Yeah, door to door sales, possibly to businesses. I had a friend who answered one of these once and sold lovely American flags and statuettes and stuff like that to little convenience stores. Thank god he finished his degree.
I got sucked into one of those when I was in college. The money was pretty drat great, and most of the businesses we rolled up on to sell our lovely trinkets amazing products were understanding and friendly about it. A couple even offered me jobs on the basis of "Well, if you've got the balls to do this kind of poo poo, you can probably do anything we've got." It was a loving terrible job for the soul, though, and I quit after about a month. Weirdly cult-like thing, too. We went up to the big smoke for some kind of one-day training seminar, and while I remember nothing of the content, I do remember that being the point where I was like, "Wait a second, this is really creepy." If you can suck it up for a couple of weeks, you'll probably come out with a good wad of cash, assuming you're even a half-decent salesman, but personally, I don't think it's worth it.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I have a new Wacom Cintiq drawing tablet, which acts sorta like a monitor as well, but my PC can only handle one monitor at a time. The manual was very clear that I should never ever dis/connect monitor cables while the PC is on, but my tech friend says he does it all the time and it's never caused problems.

Is he an idiot playing with fire, or is Wacom just covering its rear end in the remote offchance that something might happen? Having to shut down and reboot every time I want to use the tablet is pretty annoying, I'd rather skip that step if I can get away with it.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Is there a page where you can find whether a first name usually belongs to a man or a woman? I live in Europe now and I just have no clue when I receive emails how to reply. I felt like an rear end when I called Maxime Madame last week and now I'm a little stuck on Rudi (he's from the Netherlands, so he's most likely a guy right?).

Now I'm just putting the names in GIS and seeing what comes up and I've also found this but does anyone know of something better?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I've disconnected and connected monitors from powered up PCs multiple times a day for 14 years now and the worst that's ever happened is multi-monitor setups occasionally losing their settings in windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fig Newton
Oct 29, 2005

Gravity Pike posted:

Bacteria. Just plain ol' bacteria. There are bacteria everywhere, and this is the reason you're not supposed to store jugs of unsterilized water in unsterilized containers in your basement for Armageddon for long periods of time; the bacteria that are present in the water and on the interior surface of the jug/Brita water pitcher will happily colonize.

Bacteria don't photosynthesize, and they can live at low temperatures. Even at your fridge's below-40-degrees-F temperatures, you can still eventually get bacterial food spoilage from the kinds of bacteria that are happy at below-40-degrees-F. So the fact that it was cold and dark wouldn't signify, if neither the water nor the container was sterile when it went in.

As for what they eat, your tap water, when it comes out of the faucet, isn't sterile distilled water; it still contains other microorganisms and chemicals that are what the bacteria can feed on, and then the water pipes themselves, both city-maintained in the ground and in your house, contribute their load of microorganisms and chemicals. There is a coating of bacterial slime living on the inside of all water pipes everywhere, and inevitably some of them break off and go along for the ride into your Brita water pitcher.

I hope I have brightened your day now. :toot:

:D