Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
John Smoltz: The Game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Your 80m Ed Summers baffles me, jeff.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Uhhhh, devo, you may want to take care of your pitch counts in the OL.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

AlleyViper posted:

Uhhhh, devo, you may want to take care of your pitch counts in the OL.

yeah I was doing 1/rotation size for my starters like they suggested but that seems to be too low. I'm really clueless and I think I'm going to lose 140 games.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

The suggested pitch count settings for SLB are very, very dumb.

For your guys here's what I would suggest:

Bernhard - 100/110
Overall - 80/95
Reuschel - 85/95
Anderson - 85/95

Zabel - 30/45
Dizzy - 20/25
Urbina - 10/15
Nuggy - 15/25
Maroth - 10/20

Valentinetti and Yabuta should be sent down/cut.

A good gauge for starters is to play a Live a game against a sim opponent with each starter. Play them until they hit 85% stamina - however many pitches they've thrown is about what their MPC should be. TPC should be 10 pitches less. After 85% their stamina rapidly decreases. That's pretty boilerplate and there is some wiggle room depending on a guys innings, IP/G and how you'll be using them but the Live estimates are a good jumping off point.

Relievers are trickier because they have fewer innings to work with and because starters used in relief take an IP/G hit. If you put Bernhard in relief, he'd hit 85% well before 100 pitches. Modern relievers are pretty easy as anyone with 1.0-1.5 IP/G should almost universally be set to 10/15. Guys like Dizzy are the tricky ones, though, because a lot comes down to how you want to use them. If Diz is set for 10/15 he can pitch in many, many games but he'll really only be in for an inning at a time. You could safely put him up to the 35/40 range or so but you would get him for far fewer appearances. That kind of stuff is up to you.

If your relievers are currently in stamina hell you should either a.) increase your starter pitch counts even further, basically making them throw complete or near-complete games until your relievers are healthier or b.) the option which is much more feasible in OLs: throw a few games. Toss Yabuta or Val out there to start and make him pitch the entire game, hell or high water. TPC and MPC set to N/A, take literally every other pitcher on the staff except whoever you want to start next, set them to rest, uncheck their availability to be used in relief, set their MPC/TPC to 5/5. One loss in the grand scheme is not nearly as important as keeping everyone healthy and you're dumping Yabuta and Val in the end anyway so who cares if they die on the mound? If you throw the game, make sure you set everyone back to their proper settings after the game.

e: also, if your guys are in trouble right now, you can just play the last game of our series live against me, using Yabuta or Val and have total control, that way Sparky doesn't do anything dumb by pulling them early.

AlleyViper fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 6, 2011

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I usually put the Dizzy types somewhere between 30/50 and 50/70, but I'm apparently a bit of an outlier there.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Albert Belle has 7 dingers in his last five games :stare:

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Random captain thread is up in the forums :slick:

Jefferson, we're destined to meet in the world series in champs and chumps, and you're going to destroy me.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

jeffersonlives posted:

I usually put the Dizzy types somewhere between 30/50 and 50/70, but I'm apparently a bit of an outlier there.

I usually go 30/40 or so

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

So here is my random captain team. I can't really think of a good name besides ALL YOUR OBP ARE BELONG TO US. Groucho is not a fan of this name :v:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

Groucho is not a fan of this name :v:

With good reason, it's a terrible name.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

KL Delivery. Now serving 10 states!

Whatever you do don't use that other name, it's awful.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

http://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=444215

quote:

We have other updates and initiatives planned:

We have a significant SimLeague Baseball re-design that has already been fully flushed out and mocked up. It will consist of major user interface advances, feature additions and will put us in position to improve our progressive league features in future updates. And, it will allow us to advance our other SimLeague products in a similar fashion with more consistent features.

New & improved SimLeagues LIVE baseball application

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
I wonder if that's all interface stuff or if they plan to change the engine any

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I just got a $10 loyalty credit from WiS. I have an addiction and they are feeding it!

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Maaan I'm way more loyal than you, I deserve more than :10bux: :colbert:

Yes, I do see the irony of complaining when I have ~$600 in credits already, thank you for asking

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

Maaan I'm way more loyal than you, I deserve more than :10bux: :colbert:

Yes, I do see the irony of complaining when I have ~$600 in credits already, thank you for asking

Give me a few hundred dollars of credits, please :)

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Pedro Martinez is a machine

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

http://whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=15611362&pid=1&pbp=0
:stare:

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
2 players are hitting and 2 players are pitching, might blow the whole thing up. Seriously what the gently caress?

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

WISC round two themes are out. It's gonna be tough for me to make it that far. I have good records across the board, but it seems every division I'm in has that one guy who plays at a .700 record.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

You're still sitting top 20, though. As long as you have a few teams make the playoffs and don't get swept out right away, that should be enough to maintain your standing and hold off anyone below you who goes WS happy with whatever playoff teams they may have.

Basically, just don't collapse and you should have a good shot.

e: after looking the leagues over, I really dislike both draft leagues. Ugh.

ee: don't like 120m, either. This year's themes have pretty much sucked across the board.

AlleyViper fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 12, 2011

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

e: after looking the leagues over, I really dislike both draft leagues. Ugh.

ee: don't like 120m, either. This year's themes have pretty much sucked across the board.
It's going to be hard to make mock draft teams for many of these themes due to the draft/player pool requirements in 3 of them and the 2011 players in another. Of the two remaining, the 80m no stars/no scrubs team seems like a decent theme to me but the 110m dual franchise league sounds like a watered down version of the current 110m veteran two season twist league, which just makes it kinda boring. That avg/era draft sounds interesting if not contrived, but at a 60m cap it could be a massive headache. The 100m reallocation draft has so many phases and rules it could end up taking longer than our progressive draft to complete.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

The thing that makes 100m at least somewhat interesting to me is what is the value of nominating a roster of all studs vs. something like:

C: Bengie Molina
1B: Ryan Garko
2B: Neifi Perez
SS: Yuniesky Betancourt

etc. etc.

In the end, though, I tend to judge WISC themes on whether or not I would join them independently. Last year, almost every league would have been one I would have joined if I just saw it posted in the forums. This year only three or four, tops, would have piqued my interest enough.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I present to you: How To Allow 5 runs on 0 hits

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

R. Jones got a hit didn't he? Or is that ruled a FC?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Scrotos posted:

R. Jones got a hit didn't he? Or is that ruled a FC?

Fielders choice all safe.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I'm trying to decide if I should come back for another season of Aaron. I'll have like 5 type A's and 2 type B's, and I might try to trade the rest of my overpriced stars for prospects.

What is everyone else doing?

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

ArtVandelay posted:

I'm trying to decide if I should come back for another season of Aaron. I'll have like 5 type A's and 2 type B's, and I might try to trade the rest of my overpriced stars for prospects.

What is everyone else doing?

I will come back if other goons are but otherwise I am out.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Did you intentionally throw Billy Milligan out there because you were playing me as opposed to a non-goon, jeff?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

AlleyViper posted:

Did you intentionally throw Billy Milligan out there because you were playing me as opposed to a non-goon, jeff?

Not really, it was more that my bullpen was gassed and my starters needed an extra day.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

Three consecutive 1-5 cycles in the WISC means I might finally be hitting my wall.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I looked at my Aaron team, and half my players died in the offseason, so I only had 1 type A and 1 type B, also it looks like all my coaches decided to jet. I withdrew and reserved season 18 of Dimaggio instead. I'm in school now, so I don't even really have time for Aaron anyway.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

ArtVandelay posted:

I looked at my Aaron team, and half my players died in the offseason, so I only had 1 type A and 1 type B, also it looks like all my coaches decided to jet. I withdrew and reserved season 18 of Dimaggio instead. I'm in school now, so I don't even really have time for Aaron anyway.

It has a poo poo ton of openings too so it is not like it is ever going to fill.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Every update lately is like getting kicked in the balls. 0-2 the last 5 updates now.

http://whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=15658850&pid=1&pbp=1&tf=1
http://whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=15658946&pid=1&pbp=1&tf=1

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I can't tell if my random captain team is going to be any good. Swole Barry is certainly going to rule, though.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

Ivan Drago posted:

Three consecutive 1-5 cycles in the WISC means I might finally be hitting my wall.
Followed immediately by two consecutive schwartzes. I have no idea at this point.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

What the hell was Sparky thinking???

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

bap bap bap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

One game, 15 doubles

• Locked thread