Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simpo
May 1, 2008

Star Guarded posted:

So I need some advice on painting a miniature that isn't Warhammer and I'd really appreciate any help I can get. I've been reading a lot of links in the OP (some of them are dead, but most are awesome) but I thought I'd make a post, too.

http://imgur.com/a/OdXRy#mAPcI

This is a WIP model made with sculpey. It's about 4 inches tall. When it's done, it'll be baked and I'll be painting it (along with a few similar ones). I painted Warhammer miniatures before, two years ago, but I wasn't very good. I'll be practicing a lot before I even tackle this, but what techniques are essential to have down before I even start, so I know what to learn and focus on specifically? I'm pretty nervous about making these look great despite having little experience but I'll be practicing as soon as I order some paints. Would the Warhammer paint sets be good for this (clay) or should I be looking at a different brand? Are Warhammer acrylic sets pretty much the same as artist acrylic sets or is there a difference because the warhammer sets are specifically for miniatures? I know very little about any of this, obviously. :)

Mini paints typically have finer pigments than most artist acrylics, but at 4 inches I wouldn't think that would be as much of an issue provided they aren't cheap and nasty. Just make sure to keep them thin and paint multiple coats. Make sure you prime the polyclay well as my experience is that it doesn't take paint well, but you should be doing that anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It's still a work in progress, but what do you guys think of the concept?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Is that a counts-as deffrolla? It's pretty badass. Did those come off a stompa?

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery
Love it. What are the saws and diamond plate from?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Yeah, the chainsaws will be a deffrolla (deffsaw? deffchoppa?). They're stompa chainsaws. I had one from a stompa kit that I never used (turning it into a mek stompa anyway), and then I got another went I bought a replacement arm off of eBay.

The diamond plate is a plastic sheet I bought from a model store.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Lethemonster posted:

I love the overall paint job but what really catches my eye is how nice your base is! I love the paint job on the floor, you've gotta give up how you did that sometime!

And onto rubbish - I tried heavier and more layers of drybrushing on this set to see if it made them look more interesting. C&C?

Also tried wood, both whole trunks and random bits. Think the colours turned out ok but I don't know if it's 'enough' for miniatures.

I find that the absolutely simplest way to make anything with a large area of grass more intersting is to apply tufts. As in the Silflor stuff:

http://www.sceneryexpress.com/departments.asp?dept=1040

You just peel them off, attach them, and your lawn suddenly turned into wilderness. I just bought the Leafy Tufts for the first time and they are really cool. This could improve the last base, where the log kind of sticks out without much context.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Awesome, though there's kind of a gap left in between the two saws. I guess the gap wouldn't matter for vehicles and any infantry that missed getting sawed are going to get run over.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ghetto wormhole posted:

Awesome, though there's kind of a gap left in between the two saws. I guess the gap wouldn't matter for vehicles and any infantry that missed getting sawed are going to get run over.

Yeah, the saws are also slightly too tall for most models. I figure artistic license and all that, plus I was thinking of adding the whirly sawblades or claws to the inside.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Coupla WIP shots of my oath for this month, probably gonna go back in and weather up that dozer blade, my Dark Eldar don't go in for letting their vehicles look all shitted up with realspace grime. Pristine or a crater, no in between.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
All of your stuff is so loving good. Gold star.

Mr_Happy_Pants
Jan 21, 2006

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The best way to do really simple and good looking snow is like this:

-Basecoat the base in something blue/white like spacewolf grey.
-Apply a very thin coat of water effects gel (or if you're poor/crazy elmers school gel)
-Now dunk the base in some baking soda and shake off the excess, the baking soda should absorb the gel and become a darkened grey color
-Now either continue the above step until the soda ceases to be that color after shaking or apply a thin layer of modeling snow.

I've used both water effects gel and elmers for this process and there is an upside to both. The upside to gel is that its slow drying so you can correct mistakes, it dries in a VERY thin layer so it doesn't puff up your base and its less prone to "strange accidents" than the gel. The gel on the other hand is better at creating the illusion of deep snow due to its naturally blue shade, is less watery so it requires less coats of baking soda and/or modeling snow and dries much quicker. Its downside is that very rarely it does strange things like peel and its very very very sticky and its therefor harder to correct your mistakes with it.

Ideally you'll produce bases like these (these are some models that I was experimenting with this base technique on):
Too much model snow:
http://imgur.com/DaatL
this one doesn't have enough:
http://imgur.com/mfk1L
This one has a light white drybrush on it:
http://imgur.com/7j0ie
And this is one where I tried basing the model with a standard brown dirt style, then applying a wite drybrush and finally the basing technique above to it:
http://imgur.com/VCdE2

Unfortunately my camera is broken, because I have a bunch of marauders who are based this way and look way better than those elves do. If you are going for little tufts of snow on bases you can accomplish that with just baking soda and elmers. If you apply more soda to the middle of the tufts than the outside it will create the look of melting snow nicely, if you want to have little chunks of ice you can use rock salt of all things to make little ice crystals in your snow piles.

This is by someone who is much better at this than I am, but the water effects gel is what makes it look so good:
http://www.coolminiornot.com/278844?browseid=107276

Do not use baking soda. It turns a grisly, pissy yellow after a while.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Thats what I heard as well. Does it work better if I mix in white paint or use dull coat?

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

Not a viking posted:

Thats what I heard as well. Does it work better if I mix in white paint or use dull coat?

It's probably due to oxidation over time, so if you can seal the surface of the soda it would probably stay white. Alternatively - never eat yellow snow?

If you want really nice just settled snowy snow I find mixing in a bit of glitter glue does wonders. Find one with a really fine glitter in it (white, obviously. ) and you'll get the effect as when snow is new and all shimmery/pretty. :3

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Baking soda, elmer's, a tiny touch of titanium white, and a even tinier touch of ice blue. Mix into a slurry, apply where you want it. Then while that's drying, sprinkle more baking soda on top.

This picture is of a two-year old model, so it doesn't yellow for a while if you add the titanium white and the ice blue.

Edit: Somewhat more liberally applied and without the powder layer:

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I like the idea, but I think it's little too wide with the chainsaws sticking out and the widened wagon. It's probably too late now, but I would have place the saws vertically side by side coming out of the front of the wagon. Like a monstrous underbite.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Buffalo squeeze posted:

I like the idea, but I think it's little too wide with the chainsaws sticking out and the widened wagon. It's probably too late now, but I would have place the saws vertically side by side coming out of the front of the wagon. Like a monstrous underbite.

I goofed around with the idea a bit, but I wasn't a huge fan of how it looked (kind of looked like a chainsaw dong). If you mean "too wide" from a gaming perspective the chainsaws don't really count as anything anyway, as deffrollas aren't part of the hull.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I goofed around with the idea a bit, but I wasn't a huge fan of how it looked (kind of looked like a chainsaw dong). If you mean "too wide" from a gaming perspective the chainsaws don't really count as anything anyway, as deffrollas aren't part of the hull.

I meant it just looks too wide. I can see what you mean with the huge chainsaw dong. I would have put the saws where the cab is now and moved the cab up and back. That way the overall lenght of the wagon would have been the same as an unmodified one. Cutting down on the goofiness factor.

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009

Buffalo squeeze posted:

Cutting down on the goofiness factor.

I'm not sure you understand.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Buffalo squeeze posted:

I meant it just looks too wide. I can see what you mean with the huge chainsaw dong. I would have put the saws where the cab is now and moved the cab up and back. That way the overall lenght of the wagon would have been the same as an unmodified one. Cutting down on the goofiness factor.

Actually the overall length is about the same as a regular battlewagon with a deffrolla. I think I'll stick with the current design, but I appreciate the input!

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
Pics Pics of WIPs WIPs.

Please be overly harsh and full of critique! I need it! I strive upon it!

Less words, more pretty pictures!

Squig Chariot (WIP)

Rider needs a head, weathering. Flock is required around the raised wheel, some minor details on the rider too.

The chariot itself is complete however.

Savage Orc Shaman (Completed)

Night Goblins with Bows, Unit 2 (WIP)

Taking a break from the batch painting of them, until I finish the chariots and Wyvern.

Big Version
http://i.imgur.com/sPVzm.jpg

Night Goblins with Bows, Unit 1 (Completed)

Big Version
http://i.imgur.com/tYN0V.jpg

Night Goblin Drawn Chariot.

Finishing this chariot off after I do the Wyvern and Squig Chariot.

Da Warboss' new ride!

Red Wyvern, no rider, yet. Using Azhag's legs, Gorbad's Torso and arms. No idea about the head, maybe Grimgors. Weapon I'll likely use the Ogre Ironguts Sword.

Army shot of stuff Painted / On the Go!

http://i.imgur.com/pcX9K.jpg

Feedback as always much welcome!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Red Herring posted:

An ork who cut off his own head, a shameful ork indeed.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

Red Herring posted:

Pics Pics of WIPs WIPs.

Please be overly harsh and full of critique! I need it! I strive upon it!

Less words, more pretty pictures!

Squig Chariot (WIP)

Rider needs a head, weathering. Flock is required around the raised wheel, some minor details on the rider too.

The chariot itself is complete however.

Savage Orc Shaman (Completed)

Night Goblins with Bows, Unit 2 (WIP)

Taking a break from the batch painting of them, until I finish the chariots and Wyvern.

Big Version
http://i.imgur.com/sPVzm.jpg

Night Goblins with Bows, Unit 1 (Completed)

Big Version
http://i.imgur.com/tYN0V.jpg

Night Goblin Drawn Chariot.

Finishing this chariot off after I do the Wyvern and Squig Chariot.

Da Warboss' new ride!

Red Wyvern, no rider, yet. Using Azhag's legs, Gorbad's Torso and arms. No idea about the head, maybe Grimgors. Weapon I'll likely use the Ogre Ironguts Sword.

Army shot of stuff Painted / On the Go!

http://i.imgur.com/pcX9K.jpg

Feedback as always much welcome!

Really really like your wood! But otherwise maybe some pictures taken in light would help people see what you've done?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

theironjef posted:

Baking soda, elmer's, a tiny touch of titanium white, and a even tinier touch of ice blue. Mix into a slurry, apply where you want it. Then while that's drying, sprinkle more baking soda on top.

This picture is of a two-year old model, so it doesn't yellow for a while if you add the titanium white and the ice blue.
Or you could be like that one insanely stupid guy that was posted in either this thread or the 40k one and use powdered glass as your snow. Looks incredible, AND it can actually kill you! (don't do this it will gently caress you up real bad)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Maybe a little off topic, but has anyone used the Feldherr cases before? Was thinking of getting one of the mixed-mini-plus cases to transport infinity proxies around.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
I fixed my Imperial Guard guy having too much Ogryn flesh on his fatigues. :dance:
Didn't think I would manage to do it.
I'll have a picture up later. Also started on my second guy.
Need to wrap the first guy up with edge highlighting and adding eyes and then he is done, I think.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Maybe a little off topic, but has anyone used the Feldherr cases before? Was thinking of getting one of the mixed-mini-plus cases to transport infinity proxies around.

Never heard of them, but I would be worried about not having a hard case around the foam. Personally I would go with a KR Multicase. They're cheap, the foam is soft, and the cardboard is pretty sturdy.

Of course I went off the deep end and bought the Battlefoam Air Bag, mostly because they were at a convention I was at and I had a staff discount. It's a nice, if super pricy bag.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
I just finished a chaos dwarf! I decided to try a dheneb stone base since the color is also used on the model which ties it together, but also because I've used it for bases before.

I kinda hosed up the shield emblem, but its getting better with each mini. This was just the first one I based.

Bonus: WIP Blood Bowl lineorc. Blazing Orange is the best :black101:

C&C for the base + anything else? I'm about to finish the first CDs I sculpted, so the mail + masks are lacking a bit, but at least I have a few minis done soon.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Not a viking posted:

I just finished a chaos dwarf! etc.
How about some evil versions of the original dwarven masks? A kind of chaos-corrupted dwartform. (the original masks can be seen on bannerpoles/decorations/flags/40K squat armor)

Mr_Happy_Pants
Jan 21, 2006
Been working on the NMM for Rasheth's dais. Comments and hard criticisms please:

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Mr_Happy_Pants posted:

Been working on the NMM for Rasheth's dais. Comments and hard criticisms please:

It's tough to break it to you man, but that's too awesome, you're gonna have to strip it and start over so you don't make me feel bad about my painting.

Don Sultan
Aug 14, 2009

I am Sea Lion, hear me rwblbwoblbwoblbwoarr!

thespaceinvader posted:

Does anyone know where I might be able to obtain Masters brush soap in the UK? I wanna make sure my stuff stays in good nick.

www.jacksonsart.co.uk

That's where I got mine, although you might want to wait till you have other stuff to order to avoid shipping costs.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Thanks =)

I'll have to see if there's owt else I want from there - currently it's only the brush soap. I could also check out the FLGS, they've been good with the brushes and stuff.

On a similar note, what about a pin vice drill? That's the only major thing I'm missing now, but I'm going to want one when I come to replace the lovely, flimsy sword on one of my D&D minis.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Mr_Happy_Pants posted:

This is NMM? :sbahj:

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR

Don't know about the cases, but I've got the Feldherr backpack and it's the best army transport thingie I've ever had.

Mr_Happy_Pants posted:

I need to steal your NMM kung-fu, that's awesome.

Arlaharen fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 8, 2011

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

You know when you've been working when you can't actually use the touchpad of your laptop because your fingers are so coated with glue that your touch won't register anymore and you have to peel your own fingerprints off just to dick off on the internet.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
A friend came back from Japan with some inexplicable toy figurines, and I noticed that they're not all that far from regular infantry size.
I shopped up a terrible representation of what they might look like painted, and submit this concept for critique.

I would add a few things with putty, like the commissar hat and implants. I might make a psyker staff out of a sprue or something, too.

Skellybones fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Sep 8, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Shadeoses posted:

A friend came back from Japan with some inexplicable toy figurines, and I noticed that they're not all that far from regular infantry size.
I shopped up a terrible representation of what they might look like painted, and submit this concept for critique.

I would add a few things with putty, like the commissar hat and implants. I might make a psyker staff out of a sprue or something, too.

Why would you do this? Whyyyyyy

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Why would you do this? Whyyyyyy

To give an entirely new meaning to "bullet hell".

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

This thread is too chilled for people to spot tedious dakka/warseer/bolter and wolfturd copy/pastes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctors Inc
May 28, 2011

I use a Feldherr hard case XL for my chaos space marine army and they are of good quality and can be used as an impromptu chair if you are not one of the bigger hams. Really durable. But those without "hard" in their name are fabric only, so no hard plastic to protect your minis in case of a crash.

• Locked thread