Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors

coldwind posted:

Their quality control is putrid. A lot of people never run into problems, a lot of people do.

We play you tomorrow. I hope I get to sub :glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Aniki posted:

I just purchased a puck bag and 15 pucks for my team. Is there anything else that I need to bring as a captain? I know that the captain for the other team that I play on always brings a first aid kit with aspirin and antacid tablets, so I assume that I should bring something similar.

I don't run my team, but I bring one of those six-pack Gatorade water bottle carriers and people love it. It's $40 on Amazon for the set, but cheaper if you buy it all separately, for some reason.

lizardking posted:

Are you playing at the Cube? What team are you on?

RazorDX
Nov 7, 2008
Any other Columbus area hockey goons on here? I'm starting in the newbie league for the fall session, supposedly Columbus has the "most active" hockey culture in the states.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Physical therapist tentatively took me off the DL, pending my Achilles doesn't blow up at my Saturday morning stick time. Kinesio tape is loving amazing.
:woop:

Season starts Sunday.
:woop: :woop:

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

lizardking posted:

PSSSH I play Never/Ever.

NEVER EVER FOREVER EVER.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

So I've done some Goo diligence, but haven't found any resources on this matter. Does anyone know of a way to do patellar taping for hockey? I've got chronic patellar tendonitis in my left knee. Ordinarily I'd wear a knee band but that's a non-starter since they don't sit flush against the knee.

Has anyone had any experience with knee taping and hockey? I wear knee braces from time to time, but they're bulky and limit my range of motion.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I wish we had 2 rinks here :(

you do, Skatetown and Vacaville :v:

I did timekeeping for a 3v3 tourney at Skatetown on Sunday and afterwards there was a BBQ, some of the guys were pretty cool, so I have a little bit more faith about eventually playing there once I'm a bit more settled in the area.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

sba posted:

I did timekeeping for a 3v3 tourney at Skatetown on Sunday and afterwards there was a BBQ, some of the guys were pretty cool, so I have a little bit more faith about eventually playing there once I'm a bit more settled in the area.

You still have to take a road trip down to Sharks Ice and let us San Jose goons take shots at you.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Dangerllama posted:

So I've done some Goo diligence, but haven't found any resources on this matter. Does anyone know of a way to do patellar taping for hockey? I've got chronic patellar tendonitis in my left knee. Ordinarily I'd wear a knee band but that's a non-starter since they don't sit flush against the knee.

Has anyone had any experience with knee taping and hockey? I wear knee braces from time to time, but they're bulky and limit my range of motion.

I'm confused - are you saying you can't use a knee band because it doesn't sit flush against the knee? I thought that was the point. Are we talking about the same thing - the band you wear just below the knee? Unless you're looking for something to literally be on your kneecap?

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

coldwind posted:

PSSSH I play Never/Ever.

NEVER EVER FOREVER EVER.

I too am still on a never/ever team though I think this will be my last season. Captaining a D3 team and subbing on the D2 team is a lot of work haha. At the managers meeting they said they will probably be changing the names of the leagues so C is B, D1 is C, D2 is D1 and D3 is D2 to match the league skill with that of other rinks like vets.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

Do you see a physical therapist?

If so, ask them about (I'm going to sound like a shill here based upon my post above) Kinesio tape. It's worked wonders on my Achilles and within 2 days of taping me up, I'm feeling about 80-90% less pain in my foot, and will be skating for the first time within 10 days of the original taping.

sba posted:

I live in Folsom, so Vacaville is quite a drive for me.

But yeah, most people at Skatetown are pretty cool. I could have a beer with 90% of the people in my league. There's always going to be that guy. We have a guy who played Bronze last season, thinks he's hot poo poo (he sucks), keeps his 8 year old at the rink til midnight every other night, and smokes like a chimney next to him. We nicknamed him "parent of the year." Avoid people like this. Everyone on my team is cool though :v:

Where are you living? What league are you thinking about joining? I'm assuming from trilljester's post, you're a goalie. You should come out to stick time this Saturday @ 6:30a (yeah :() and let us try to put really weak slappers on you.

lizardking posted:

never/ever team

What the heck does this mean?

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 7, 2011

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

lizardking posted:

I too am still on a never/ever team though I think this will be my last season. Captaining a D3 team and subbing on the D2 team is a lot of work haha. At the managers meeting they said they will probably be changing the names of the leagues so C is B, D1 is C, D2 is D1 and D3 is D2 to match the league skill with that of other rinks like vets.
Wh...wh...why are you still on never/ever?

coldwind fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 7, 2011

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

I live in Folsom, so Vacaville is quite a drive for me.

You from there or moved there? I got family there and y'all seem to know everyone in that town.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Where are you living? What league are you thinking about joining? I'm assuming from trilljester's post, you're a goalie. You should come out to stick time this Saturday @ 6:30a (yeah :() and let us try to put really weak slappers on you.

I live in Davis...I haven't been on the ice in awhile, and I ditched some of my shittier gear before I moved...so I'm not quite ready to start playing here yet. I JUST started working too, so it'll probably be a little bit before I get a league or anything. Sucks too, because I had an offer to play on Friday nights already.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

poser posted:

You from there or moved there? I got family there and y'all seem to know everyone in that town.

sba posted:

I live in Davis...

Buffalo has to be the only city the country where moving to Davis is an upgrade.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Habibi posted:

I'm confused - are you saying you can't use a knee band because it doesn't sit flush against the knee? I thought that was the point. Are we talking about the same thing - the band you wear just below the knee? Unless you're looking for something to literally be on your kneecap?

Patellar bands have a little rubber band that sits across the patellar tendon. It absorbs shock when running, etc. But it also sticks out about a quarter inch from the spot just below the patella. Fall on it in shin guards and it's like getting hit with a 1/4" dowel right in the spot you're trying to make less hurty. I hypothesize that there's a way to tape my patellar tendon without the wrap sticking out. I just don't know how to do it.

If so, ask them about (I'm going to sound like a shill here based upon my post above) Kinesio tape. It's worked wonders on my Achilles and within 2 days of taping me up, I'm feeling about 80-90% less pain in my foot, and will be skating for the first time within 10 days of the original taping.

I saw a PT for about a year after my patellar realignment surgery, and he talked a little bit about taping, but didn't mention kinesio tape. Mostly he just wanted me to blast my quads to get ze legs all pumped and soopah strooooong. But gently caress gyms.

I'll check it out. Thanks.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

poser posted:

Buffalo has to be the only city the country where moving to Davis is an upgrade.

Oh it's not that bad in Davis. At least, it's better than anything else in Yolo county.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

poser posted:

Originally from Ohio. Moved to Folsom after college due to a job offer.

sba posted:

I live in Davis...I haven't been on the ice in awhile, and I ditched some of my shittier gear before I moved...so I'm not quite ready to start playing here yet. I JUST started working too, so it'll probably be a little bit before I get a league or anything. Sucks too, because I had an offer to play on Friday nights already.

Well were most likely moving up to Silver B (Friday nights) after this season, where our goalie wants to skate out, soooo yeah we may be in the market for a new goalie in 6 months ;)

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 7, 2011

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Someone tell me more about the Goon Squad team in A2.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

poser posted:

You have no idea...this may as well be Rio or Vegas.

Originally from Ohio. Moved to Folsom after college due to a job offer.

Well were most likely moving up to Silver B (Friday nights) after this season, where our goalie wants to skate out, soooo yeah we may be in the market for a new goalie in 6 months ;)

Ha, I'm from Ohio originally too. We can regale each other with stories from the rust belt. Once I make a little bit of cash and go splurge over at Xport, I'll come to sticktime with you guys.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

coldwind posted:

Wh...wh...why are you still on never/ever?

I can't stop to the left still haha, and I don't score in never ever. I'm not a total dick I just need more time on the ice for skating.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

poser posted:

Whatever, Davis is pretty nice if you like the small-town feel (which I do). If the job situation there wasn't lovely and if I didn't dislike Sacramento as much as I do, I'd totally consider moving to Davis.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Dangerllama posted:

Patellar bands have a little rubber band that sits across the patellar tendon. It absorbs shock when running, etc. But it also sticks out about a quarter inch from the spot just below the patella. Fall on it in shin guards and it's like getting hit with a 1/4" dowel right in the spot you're trying to make less hurty. I hypothesize that there's a way to tape my patellar tendon without the wrap sticking out. I just don't know how to do it.
What about a full elastic support for the knee? Wouldn't that serve about the same function, or does that restrict your range of motion too much? I wear one occasionally when my knee is sore, and to be honest, it doesn't affect my mobility at all.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sba posted:

Ha, I'm from Ohio originally too. We can regale each other with stories from the rust belt. Once I make a little bit of cash and go splurge over at Xport, I'll come to sticktime with you guys.

Do we perhaps have a second Browns fan in Northern Cal?
:smith::hf::smith:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Sports Argument Stadium* > SAS Hockey Player Thread: North Cal Bros Talkin' About the Rust Belt

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

bbbbut there are browns backers clubs all over the entire planet!

All of the planets!

http://norcalbrowns.com/

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Habibi posted:

Whatever, Davis is pretty nice if you like the small-town feel (which I do). If the job situation there wasn't lovely and if I didn't dislike Sacramento as much as I do, I'd totally consider moving to Davis.

Yeah, pretty much. I'm working in North Sac, the commute sorta sucks, it takes me about 30 minutes each way, but there's literally no jobs in my field in Davis, because there's very little business presence in Davis. I knew that when I moved here though.

Davis is quirky and weird, but if you like small towns, it's the perfect small town. The Farmers Market is amazing, the food is great, and there's some cool places to hang out. The biggest issue is the lack of Big Box stores if you need stuff...aside from one Target that's almost not even in Davis, there's a lot of nothing. Even still, if you REALLY want to go to Best Buy or Wal-Mart you can be at one in about 10 minutes by car.

Do we perhaps have a second Browns fan in Northern Cal?
:smith::hf::smith:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Sports Argument Stadium* > SAS Hockey Player Thread: North Cal Bros Talkin' About the Rust Belt

Nope, I only lived in Cleveland until I was 9. I spent 25 years in Buffalo, so I'm a Bills fan.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

bbbbut there are browns backers clubs all over the entire planet!

All of the planets!

http://norcalbrowns.com/

Those have to be the most depressing gatherings in the world.

sba posted:

Nope, I only lived in Cleveland until I was 9. I spent 25 years in Buffalo, so I'm a Bills fan.

I was a Bills fan.

In the 90s.
:suicide:

gently caress. The. Cowboys.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

sba posted:

Yeah, pretty much. I'm working in North Sac, the commute sorta sucks, it takes me about 30 minutes each way, but there's literally no jobs in my field in Davis, because there's very little business presence in Davis. I knew that when I moved here though.
30 minutes isn't even in the 'sorta sucks' territory. :colbert: There are starving children in Africa who WISH their commute was only 30 minutes.

quote:

Davis is quirky and weird, but if you like small towns, it's the perfect small town. The Farmers Market is amazing, the food is great, and there's some cool places to hang out. The biggest issue is the lack of Big Box stores if you need stuff...aside from one Target that's almost not even in Davis, there's a lot of nothing. Even still, if you REALLY want to go to Best Buy or Wal-Mart you can be at one in about 10 minutes by car.

Also: Ikeda's makes some loving amazing salsa.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Habibi posted:

30 minutes isn't even in the 'sorta sucks' territory. :colbert: There are starving children in Africa who WISH their commute was only 30 minutes.

There's rich as gently caress white dudes driving BMW's in Chicago who wish their commute was under 2 hours. :colbert:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Habibi posted:

Also: Ikeda's makes some loving amazing salsa.

And pies.

(here we go Steelers :cool:)

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Despite all the great food in Davis, I really only ever want In-N-Out...as a East Coast transplant, will this eventually go away?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

sba posted:

Despite all the great food in Davis, I really only ever want In-N-Out...as a East Coast transplant, will this eventually go away?

No. I have to limit myself to In-N-Out to once a month, or else I'd turn into Dustin Penner.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

sba posted:

Yes. I have one like a mile and a half from me and I haven't been there in over a year.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

sba posted:

Yes - when you realize that they're pretty much just the West Coast version of '5 Guys.' Don't get me wrong - In-n-Out is really good, but they're not as good as the hype out east might lead you to believe (likewise with 5 Guys and the hype out west).

I'd go to Pluto's over In-n-Out any day, and I know y'all have a Pluto's in downtown Davis.

And can I just say that I'm shocked to see a Gendo post that doesn't have some sort of horrific photoshop related to the plane crash?

Gendo posted:

Yes. I have one like a mile and a half from me and I haven't been there in over a year.
When I saw your name start scrolling up, I half expected a photoshop of Skrastin's daughter holding up a "My daddy loves In-n-Out" sign. :geno:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In-N-Out is wayyyy better than Five Guys.

I've lived on both coasts and have done scientific studies, making me a certified expert.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

xzzy posted:

In-N-Out is wayyyy better than Five Guys.

I've lived on both coasts and have done scientific studies, making me a certified expert.

Look at this wrong guy.

I think I've made a huge mistake. I got a pretty nice one piece stick a few months ago because I needed a stick and it was all they had (Sherwood T80). Today I was fooling around with some cheaper sticks in the shop and they all felt like heavy junk. I'm spoiled forever :(

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009
How about you ladies change your panties and just eat McDonald's :colbert:

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Thufir posted:

Look at this wrong guy.

I think I've made a huge mistake. I got a pretty nice one piece stick a few months ago because I needed a stick and it was all they had (Sherwood T80). Today I was fooling around with some cheaper sticks in the shop and they all felt like heavy junk. I'm spoiled forever :(

How do you like your Sherwood? And thanks again for the socks:cool:

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Habibi posted:

When I saw your name start scrolling up, I half expected a photoshop of Skrastin's daughter holding up a "My daddy loves In-n-Out" sign. :geno:
I still have the template... but I've generated enough bad blood for one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

poser posted:

How do you like your Sherwood? And thanks again for the socks:cool:

No Problem :cheers:

I like the stick but it's my first composite so I don't think I can really judge it compared to other brands. I like the feel better than the wooden Sherwood 5030 I was using though.