Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Crowley posted:

I am looking for a Keyboard for a Mac.

Price doesn't really matter as long as it's a full keyboard with the numeric keypad, and not that new and modern "flat" style that Apple loves. I just want an old-fashioned keyboard with raised keys. I can't even find the old Apple keyboards any more, and Logitech have jumped on the flat-key bandwagon too. :sigh:

Unicomp makes a buckling spring keyboard for the Mac. It's not an M for the Mac, but it's drat close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

After aquiring my two kittens ten years ago I went through every single brand of litter on the shelves trying to find one that didn't stink the house down after just a couple days of use by indoor cats (netured too).

The crystals REAKED after a couple days and they are the most expensive, and are supposed to last for months (they dont). They also dissolved in the cat piss rather than soak it up like they're supposed to. I went through a full bag of the stuff in a little over a week. The cats also HATED it, they hated walking on it, they hated the sounds it made when they 'used' it and generally hated the hell out of it.

The paper pellets were better, absorbency wise, but as the paper soaked up the catpiss again it stank and they couldnt' really bury their poop in it all that well so they'd smear poop around the place trying. Bleugh.

The clay ones were okay, but pricey and tended to stink in less than a week.

The one I use now is made from wood pulp, it isn't as fine grained as the clay kinda like thick dessicated coconut, smells strongly of wood - which is not only kind of pleasant but also absorbs odour from their catpiss. It clumps, you can throw it on the garden and better yet it lasts longer than the crystals ever did. It's also one of the cheapest on the market. It does have the drawback that it tracks a lot more easily than other litters though, but is overall the cleanest and most pleasant stuff I've tried.

While I'm here can anyone recommend a good umbrella for somewhere windy?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Yond Cassius posted:

Unicomp makes a buckling spring keyboard for the Mac. It's not an M for the Mac, but it's drat close.

:monocle:

That was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Tambaloneus posted:

While I'm here can anyone recommend a good umbrella for somewhere windy?

Take a look at Senz umbrellas.

Crowley has a new favorite as of 11:08 on Aug 31, 2011

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Crowley posted:

Take a look at Senz umbrellas.

A couple of people have said this now but my boyfriend has one and it broke the second time he used it. He's just got a replacement from them which contained a burst silica bag, so our house is now covered in silica crystals.

Not loving them so far!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Well, my cat has started hopping around suddenly like somebody just bit him, which is making me suspect that somebody might be biting him. Or that he's just weird (which he is).

Anyway, I guess it's time to buy some goo to squirt on the back of his head and kill the theoretical fleas he has. I've been using Advantage in the past and that seems to work fine, but I heard that they lost their patents or whatever and you can get knockoffs with the same ingredients for way cheaper now. The problem is I know that some other super cheap flea goo for cats (particularly Hartz) can actually be really dangerous. I'd rather not kill my cat or give him seizures.

Long story short (too late) anybody have recommendations for cheap anti-flea junk that leans more toward "cheap but effective Advantage knock-off" and less toward "cheap but effective cat poison"?

Catkin
Apr 28, 2006

it is all a dream- a grotesque and foolish dream.
Since Advantage for cats and dogs is the same formula and the dog version won't harm your cat like some dog flea meds will, you can buy 1 big single dose packaged for huge dogs and dose it out with a syringe according to your cat's weight. One $20 vial is enough for 6 or so doses for the average cat, I believe. I've heard that this is the way shelters keep their cats flea-free.

I'm not a vet, so if any of this is wrong please don't hesitate to correct me. I don't want to inadvertently kill somebody's Mr. Fluffikins. :ohdear:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Julet Esqu posted:

Well, my cat has started hopping around suddenly like somebody just bit him, which is making me suspect that somebody might be biting him. Or that he's just weird (which he is).

Anyway, I guess it's time to buy some goo to squirt on the back of his head and kill the theoretical fleas he has. I've been using Advantage in the past and that seems to work fine, but I heard that they lost their patents or whatever and you can get knockoffs with the same ingredients for way cheaper now. The problem is I know that some other super cheap flea goo for cats (particularly Hartz) can actually be really dangerous. I'd rather not kill my cat or give him seizures.

Long story short (too late) anybody have recommendations for cheap anti-flea junk that leans more toward "cheap but effective Advantage knock-off" and less toward "cheap but effective cat poison"?

I've found over the counter stuff to be very poor. My cat had fleas for the first time ever in his life last year. Apparently the fleas in your area will actually grow immune to certain forms of protection. Or so I've heard.

Long story short, if you can take them to the vet. Within 24 hours my cat wasn't scratching anymore and he's been clean since.

There's also a huge thread about fleas in Pet Island.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Julet Esqu posted:

When Hat had fleas, our vet used a free sample of Frontline on him and that killed them all. Maybe your vet is similarly generous?

Distended Bowel
Dec 27, 2006

Powdered ToastMan!
does anybody have recommendation for a store/online retailer for decently priced luggage? It's time I upgrade my old, ripped, mismatched luggage for something a bit nicer. I'm trying to find deals or sales of some sort, but when searching for "luggage" online, a menagerie of options open up; one of which seem to priced very well. Thanks in advance!

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

cannonballs posted:

does anybody have recommendation for a store/online retailer for decently priced luggage? It's time I upgrade my old, ripped, mismatched luggage for something a bit nicer. I'm trying to find deals or sales of some sort, but when searching for "luggage" online, a menagerie of options open up; one of which seem to priced very well. Thanks in advance!

I buy my stuff from http://www.ebags.com. I'm a big fan of their line of products but they also sell a huge range of other manufacturers as well. They also have 20% and sometimes 30% sales and coupons pretty regularly which is nice.

TouchyMcFeely has a new favorite as of 14:38 on Sep 1, 2011

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

cannonballs posted:

Not sure if you meant online-only, but for brick and mortar, check if you have a TJ Maxx, Marshalls, or Tuesday Morning in your area. They get factory seconds and last year's name-brand stuff, sometimes ridiculously cheap.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

wheatpuppy posted:

Not sure if you meant online-only, but for brick and mortar, check if you have a TJ Maxx, Marshalls, or Tuesday Morning in your area. They get factory seconds and last year's name-brand stuff, sometimes ridiculously cheap.

I got a really nice yet cheap suitcase from Tuesday Morning. For luggage it's really better to buy it in person so you can see how it rolls and everything.

tokki g
Aug 18, 2004
I keep on losing my expensive sunglasses bc I'm retarded. I need something to keep them around my neck but won't look stupid (I'm a 24yr old male who likes rap and dubstep and science, for reference). Any suggestions?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

tokki g posted:

I keep on losing my expensive sunglasses bc I'm retarded. I need something to keep them around my neck but won't look stupid (I'm a 24yr old male who likes rap and dubstep and science, for reference). Any suggestions?

I don't know what music and science has to do with sunglasses, but these are cheap, very nice and clear and work great.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XOPVHM
I end up wearing them all day long until I get in my car and my thinner metal framed Bolle sunglasses are a little more comfortable.

Hypnolobster has a new favorite as of 00:48 on Sep 4, 2011

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
get some croakies from an outdoors supply shop

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
Any recommendations for good corkscrews?

Distended Bowel
Dec 27, 2006

Powdered ToastMan!

marshmallard posted:

This thing is the poo poo:

http://www.beveragefactory.com/wine/wineopeners/pump/cork_pops_1_propellant_wine_opener.shtml

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

marshmallard posted:

Not a cork screw but I recommend an Ah-So.

Works better and cleaner than a corkscrew while making it easy to recork the bottle. that said i am not recommending that specific one, it was just the first one I could find.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
^ How does it work? It's not very clear!

That's cool but it's for a present, so I'd rather not get something that needs refills.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
The longer tong slides onto one side of the cork first about an inch and a half, then the second shorter tong. You rock it back and forth to slide the tongs securely around the cork, then just twist it and slid the whole thing out. When you want to re-cork you just repeat the process in reverse. After you do it a few times it become very, very easy, and it leave the corks completely in tact.

A friend of mine is part of a group that makes wine and he recommended it to me a long time ago. It's the "cool" way to uncork wine!

edit:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1z57Q8PXzc

Juriko has a new favorite as of 17:43 on Sep 5, 2011

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

marshmallard posted:

Get a Waiter's Friend. That's all you'll ever need.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Winter is fast approaching so I want to buy a decent mini umbrella.

I live in the UK, so something that I can easily find over here would be preferable.

Also, something that withstands wind, since Brighton gets windy.

I was looking at Gustbusters, then I saw a lot of reports of shoddy craftsmanship and things just falling off.

In fact, every umbrella seems to have half and half positive to negative reviews.

Basically I'd like something from a company which offers a decent warranty for things breaking (Lifetime warranty would be ideal!) and who are known for their excellent attention to quality.

ZanderZ
Apr 7, 2011

by T. Mascis
Longboard poo poo

The best shoes ever.

Supras are the poo poo. If Supra was in a homosexual relationship with Vans, Supra would always give and Vans would always receive and be way too scared to even mention the idea of being on top. Supra is like the hot, confident college guy while Vans is like the whiny emo high schooler. Supras last about 10x longer and look 10x better.

The best wheels ever.

The shoe/wheel combination owns for throwin down massive slides on any board.

ZanderZ has a new favorite as of 17:53 on Sep 6, 2011

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,
My bed is way too hard, can't afford a whole new mattress and someone mentioned mattress toppers. Just had a look online and it seems there are whole bunches of different sorts. I'm looking to make it feel as soft as possible. Don't really want to spend too much, up to about AU$100.

Anyone know of anything I might like?

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

EvilMuppet posted:

My bed is way too hard, can't afford a whole new mattress and someone mentioned mattress toppers. Just had a look online and it seems there are whole bunches of different sorts. I'm looking to make it feel as soft as possible. Don't really want to spend too much, up to about AU$100.

Anyone know of anything I might like?

http://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Studio-2-Inch-Ventilated-Mattress/dp/B000LQD88E/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1315331908&sr=1-2

Memory foam. $75 bucks, with $5.00 shipping to Australia. Only would suck if your room is relatively hot, it would not be so good then.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

marshmallard posted:

^ How does it work? It's not very clear!

2 prong corkpullers have a sort triangular prongs. You poke the long end in first and then the short end (next to the cork) and rock it down, then twist and pull up.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,

ayekappy posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Studio-2-Inch-Ventilated-Mattress/dp/B000LQD88E/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1315331908&sr=1-2

Memory foam. $75 bucks, with $5.00 shipping to Australia. Only would suck if your room is relatively hot, it would not be so good then.

Thanks but how do I get $5 shipping? The lowest one is $33?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I am looking for a watch. My old wristwatch disappeared into oblivion so I'm looking to expand. I'm hoping to find a durable digital watch with a timer for under 100 dollars; additionally I'm curious about pocket watches and would be interested in a nice, very durable one in the same price range.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

EvilMuppet posted:

Thanks but how do I get $5 shipping? The lowest one is $33?

Oh, I guess it's because it's fairly large, sorry. :(

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.

Red Crown posted:

I am looking for a watch. My old wristwatch disappeared into oblivion so I'm looking to expand. I'm hoping to find a durable digital watch with a timer for under 100 dollars; additionally I'm curious about pocket watches and would be interested in a nice, very durable one in the same price range.

Timex ironman and casio g shocks.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Any recommendations for something roughly similar to moleskine journals in the abuse taking department with better paper (Clairefontaine and so forth)? Unlined or french ruled preferably but standard college ruled is fine. I unfortunately can't find any of the Rhodia journals recommended to me around here and I'm not sure how they are but if someone tells me otherwise...

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Red Crown posted:

watch

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-CA53W-1-Twincept-Databank-Ani-Digi/dp/B000GB1R7S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315489680&sr=8-1

I loving love this watch. Beat to hell and keeps going, and even if it breaks its cheap enough to replace. Do ittttttt.

MojoAZ
Jan 1, 2010
On the litter robot topic, I do not find it to stink in the slightest, even up to 8-9 days between changings. I work from home and have the litter robot right next to my desk, too, so even a subtle odor would bother me if it was there. The key, I found, was to use odor-blocking garbage bags, along with the right kind of litter (I use the Arm and Hammer Double Duty). With this combo of products, the only time there's any kind of odor is when I open the drawer at the bottom to change out the bag.

NorskHotDog
Oct 23, 2010
WARNING: THIS POST TALKS ABOUT POOPING

Metamucil (Also found in most grocery stores.)
Ok, before you take your stance that you are fine without this product and poo freely, several times a day, let me tell you that is not why I take this.

I am a 23 year old male who has never experienced "irregularity" with bowel movements. A month or so ago, I saw my oldest brother taking a dose of Metamucil and I of course made a joke about being backed up. He then told me about how once you start taking this stuff, you'll never want to stop. I was curious, and boy was he right.

Pros:
  • You will significantly cut down time spent sitting on the toilet. Its like your body just blasts it out super quick.
  • No matter how nasty your crap feels on the way out, it is almost always followed by a clean wipe. Seriously, probably 90% of the time the first wipe is clean. I can't explain it, but something about the fiber makes poo not stick to your bum.
  • You leave the bathroom with a nice cleaned out feeling.
  • No more feeling bogged down with that "Ew, I need to poo :sweatdrop: " feeling. It is replaced with an "Awesome, I'm gonna go punish the toilet! :haw: " feeling.
Cons:
  • I don't know if this is typical, but my bowel movements smell like garbage now, rather than whatever my usual scent is. Its not too bad though, cause instead of thinking someone just pinched a loaf, people will think a garbage truck drove past.
  • Taking 3 doses a day, throughout the day. Kind of a pain.
  • The stuff doesn't taste too bad, but if you don't drink it immediately after mixing, it will stick to the cup and is fairly difficult to remove (must be scrubbed)
  • My biggest gripe is that your body REALLY likes you taking this, so if you miss a few days or decide to stop, your body punishes you for it. You will be spending 10 minutes at a time sitting on the throne, just waiting for gravity to take over.
Pro/con: (I think this a pro, but I can see it being a con in certain situations.)
  • When its time, its time. You will feel it coming and you need to get to a restroom right away. I like this because I'm not a fan of the foreshadowing feeling of a big poo an hour before its showtime. I like to just get it out and then its party party party again.

Stay "regular" my friends!

NorskHotDog has a new favorite as of 05:47 on Sep 10, 2011

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

NorskHotDog posted:

WARNING: THIS POST TALKS ABOUT POOPING

Whelp, I'm sold. Guess I know what I'm buying tomorrow!

poronty
Oct 19, 2006
a hung Aryan
Is there a site that is like Threadless but for hoodies? I know they also have hoodies but I don't like any of the designs/colors on offer, while I can generally find at least a couple of shirts in their lineup that I like enough to order of in any given month or so. Even better would be a link site like Teemagnet where I can check out multiple hoodie sellers at once. I'm looking only for stores that ship to Europe.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Tambaloneus posted:

After aquiring my two kittens ten years ago I went through every single brand of litter on the shelves trying to find one that didn't stink the house down after just a couple days of use by indoor cats (netured too).

The crystals REAKED after a couple days and they are the most expensive, and are supposed to last for months (they dont). They also dissolved in the cat piss rather than soak it up like they're supposed to. I went through a full bag of the stuff in a little over a week. The cats also HATED it, they hated walking on it, they hated the sounds it made when they 'used' it and generally hated the hell out of it.

I tried "crystal" cat litter once. I thought it was great, at first. The poop was easy to take out, and the piss appeared to magically vanish and there was no odour at all.

Until I got round to changing it...

The cat piss just soaks straight through the crystals and builds up at the bottom of the tray, so the top crystals look shiny and new, but when you dig it out there's a sort of horrific sludge of concentrated cat urine lurking at the bottom, waiting to gas you with a cloud of ammonia. Never again.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

NorskHotDog posted:

When its time, its time. You will feel it coming and you need to get to a restroom right away. I like this because I'm not a fan of the foreshadowing feeling of a big poo an hour before its showtime. I like to just get it out and then its party party party again.

I think this is the biggest obstacle to everyone taking this sort of thing (Besides the smell) - I personally prefer to take a poo poo at home, and I'm sure a lot of other people are the same way, so if you're out of the house a lot it's not great.

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

Can someone recommend me a good automatic cat feeder? I need one with a timer and the ability to control how much food is dispensed.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jook
Jul 16, 2002
anyone have any recommendations on some surround (rear) speakers? Just 2 to go on the same wall as the couch. I got some Polk OWM3's but they're way too big, looking for something more satellite, maybe ~4x4inch face? I can't seem to find anything decent on Amazon, and nothing at stores nearby.

edit: hoping to get some for <$150 for the pair.

Jook has a new favorite as of 17:15 on Sep 12, 2011

• Locked thread