Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Dr Christmas posted:

They also attribute anything anyone who doesn't have an R next to their name says about current events to Obama. Someone points out that the GoP can't accuse Obama of being weak on terror after Bin Laden's death? Obama is shown answering every question with "I killed Bin Laden :smug:." Economist points out that the recession started under Bush? Political cartoons draw Obama whining about Bush.

Or that Obama, and Liberals in general endorse a crappy web browser game about killing Tea Party Zombies.

Conservative News and Views" posted:

The Tea Party murder game is anything but civil. It suggests that at least some liberal rank and file people share the attitudes of liberal leaders. And the fault for that can lie in only one place: an educational system that has forgotten how to teach people proper moral values.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Let's all just bow our heads for a moment and remember that this man has a law degree from Harvard, an Engineering degree from Columbia, and now dedicates his life to telling children not to go to school.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
The Tea Party zombie game is sadly not that good.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

downout posted:

Michelle Bachmann claimed that Phyllis Schlafly is the most important women in the U.S. in the last 100 years. I for one can't wait to see conservapedia run with that quote. I checked the front page news, but it isn't up yet.

Yeah sure, Michelle Bachmann. Phyllis Schlafly is SO important because she essentially tried to set back women's rights 50 years, and being an insufferable oval office, and giving birth to another insufferable oval office.

I could barely "tolerate" her policies towards equal rights for women (I.e removing them), but I cannot stand her hypocrisy even more, considering she used those self same rights to be in a position where she can hold the opinion that she wants to remove them.

As for Michelle Bachmann, good lord. I thought Palin had a screw-loose, but Bachmann really takes the cake.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Yeah sure, Michelle Bachmann. Phyllis Schlafly is SO important because she essentially tried to set back women's rights 50 years, and being an insufferable oval office, and giving birth to another insufferable oval office.

I could barely "tolerate" her policies towards equal rights for women (I.e removing them), but I cannot stand her hypocrisy even more, considering she used those self same rights to be in a position where she can hold the opinion that she wants to remove them.

As for Michelle Bachmann, good lord. I thought Palin had a screw-loose, but Bachmann really takes the cake.

I never thought I'd see the day where I would consider Palin the lesser evil. Palin's a dumb, thieving hypocrite, but Bachmann is loving insane.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Aside from the last shreds of America's dignity I didn't know Palin had stolen anything. Care to explain? (genuinely curious)

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

andrew smash posted:

Aside from the last shreds of America's dignity I didn't know Palin had stolen anything. Care to explain? (genuinely curious)

They may be referring to this: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1008/14805.html

I think I vaguely recall stories of her using government funds for family vacations or whatnot when she was still Governor.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Thanks SCB, I should have linked to that myself. I also remember hearing that she embezzled school funding from her area to pay for renovations to her home, though that could be something a goon in GBS made up. In either case I would not put it past her -- she's a lying, vainglorious, self-centered little cretin.

She's the perfect politician. :v:

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Screaming Idiot posted:

Thanks SCB, I should have linked to that myself. I also remember hearing that she embezzled school funding from her area to pay for renovations to her home, though that could be something a goon in GBS made up. In either case I would not put it past her -- she's a lying, vainglorious, self-centered little cretin.

She's the perfect politician. :v:

That's kind of a half truth. What she actually did was funnel about ten times the towns budget to some contractor friends by having them build an unnecessary sports complex, and at the same time a new house for her with some of the "excess" materials.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Sarah Palin increased Wasilla's debt 25 fold. And she increased sales taxes.

The Battle Axe
Mar 30, 2011

Conservapedia posted:

Conservapedia's Law is the observation that conservative insights increase over time at a geometric rate, as in 1-2-4-8-16-etc.

For example, there is a doubling in effective new conservative terms per century.

Conservapedia's Law is analogous to Moore's Law, which holds that the rate of increase in the number of transistors on a chip of a given size roughly doubles every two years.
From here: http://www.conservapedia.com/Essay:Conservapedia%27s_Law

Forgive me if I'm looking too far into this, but isn't the point of conservatism to not change often and stick with traditional values? If so, the idea of new 'conservative' insights is kind of contradictory.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

The Battle Axe posted:

Forgive me if I'm looking too far into this, but isn't the point of conservatism to not change often and stick with traditional values? If so, the idea of new 'conservative' insights is kind of contradictory.

“Thanks to you, I've rediscovered a form of shame that's gone unused for seven hundred years.”

That kind of insight.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Atasi posted:

That's kind of a half truth. What she actually did was funnel about ten times the towns budget to some contractor friends by having them build an unnecessary sports complex, and at the same time a new house for her with some of the "excess" materials.

How the gently caress is it legal for her to have a house built with "excess" materials from a public works project?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
It isn't.

My mom had a boss that did that poo poo. He was well connected within the organization, though, and my mom was not. She kept copies of every document that crossed her desk at home, in order to protect her job if the poo poo ever hit the fan. (IIRC, the guy died before it did.)

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

VideoTapir posted:

It isn't.

My mom had a boss that did that poo poo. He was well connected within the organization, though, and my mom was not. She kept copies of every document that crossed her desk at home, in order to protect her job if the poo poo ever hit the fan. (IIRC, the guy died before it did.)

Sarah palin on the other hand just relied on the fact that there's no real government in Wasilla to speak of, and, as an attractive white woman in a town full of white supremacists, no one was going to hold her to account.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Atasi posted:

Sarah palin on the other hand just relied on the fact that there's no real government in Wasilla to speak of, and, as an attractive white woman in a town full of white supremacists, no one was going to hold her to account.

I've heard a lot of bad poo poo about Wasilla, including that it's the meth and sexual assault capital of Alaska, but I've never heard the white supremacist thing, though I shouldn't be surprised because those assholes and meth go hand in hand.

I'm guessing those racists were from that Alaskan group that wants to secede from the USA, right?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Atasi posted:

Being an attractive woman in Alaska, anywhere, is enough for that.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

VideoTapir posted:

Being an attractive woman in Alaska, anywhere, is enough for that.

Being a woman, period. As I read in an SA article about a goon stationed up there, "the odds are good, but the goods are odd".

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I visited Alaska recently and I gotta admit that Palin was right about one thing: It's a goddamn beautiful state. We toured the capital and the governor's office, and apparently some of the locals were kinda pissed since she refused to live in the Governor's mansion (wasn't posh enough or something).

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

ShadowCatboy posted:

I visited Alaska recently and I gotta admit that Palin was right about one thing: It's a goddamn beautiful state. We toured the capital and the governor's office, and apparently some of the locals were kinda pissed since she refused to live in the Governor's mansion (wasn't posh enough or something).

Enjoy it now. If Palin and her ilk get their way, the entire place is going to become an oil-coated industrialized nightmare worthy of an episode of Captain Planet.

Also, who the screaming gently caress hunts from a helicopter? Yes, it's a hilarious idea, but it's still pretty drat wrong.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

ShadowCatboy posted:

Supposedly she didn't want to be away from her family, so she wanted the state to pay for her and her family to fly back and forth between Juneau and Wasilla.

Her quitting after two years because the job was too hard and un-fun is just like that tea bagger congressman from Florida who keeps talking about how lovely his job is and how it doesn't pay enough. And he's supposedly running for reelection.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

Enjoy it now. If Palin and her ilk get their way, the entire place is going to become an oil-coated industrialized nightmare worthy of an episode of Captain Planet.

Also, who the screaming gently caress hunts from a helicopter? Yes, it's a hilarious idea, but it's still pretty drat wrong.

Cheater hunters are just the worst. At least Ted Nugent hunts with a compound bow. Other than that, he's quite the rear end in a top hat.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Being a woman, period. As I read in an SA article about a goon stationed up there, "the odds are good, but the goods are odd".

That line is about Alaskan MEN.

For men looking for women, the odds are not good. And the goods are way worse than odd.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Bruce Leroy posted:

Cheater hunters are just the worst. At least Ted Nugent hunts with a compound bow. Other than that, he's quite the rear end in a top hat.

Look, I normally don't have an issue with hunting. I think murder is a fine way to pass the time, but using a goddamn helicopter is verging on supervillain territory.

VideoTapir posted:

That line is about Alaskan MEN.

For men looking for women, the odds are not good. And the goods are way worse than odd.

Yeah, I figured that, but I didn't apply it right. :downs:

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Bruce Leroy posted:

I've heard a lot of bad poo poo about Wasilla, including that it's the meth and sexual assault capital of Alaska, but I've never heard the white supremacist thing, though I shouldn't be surprised because those assholes and meth go hand in hand.

I'm guessing those racists were from that Alaskan group that wants to secede from the USA, right?

Surprisingly most are not members of the AIP, they know what a good deal we get re: federal funding and don't want the gravy train to stop. They just don't want to live in an incresingly diversifying Anchorage, oh and they really hate the natives too so moving out to the bush is not an option.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Yeah that's pretty much true, and the farther you get out the more pronounced it is. The Dillingham town crotch makes Janet Reno looks like Scarlett Johanson.

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 8, 2011

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010
Conservapedia in the news update

"Conservapedia posted:

The Christian apologist Vox Day commented favorably on the Question evolution! campaign today.[8]

Of course, the evolutionist and atheist PZ Myers (who is afraid to debate Vox Day) cannot satisfactorily answer the 15 questions of the Question evolution campaign. As Vox Day rightly points out, evolutionism is a useless ideology when it comes to practical scientific applications.

Goons in this thread have easily debunked that 15 question bullshit, so I'm pretty certain that an evolutionary biologist can answer them even more expertly. Oh, wait, Myers is an atheist, so he must be wrong by default.

"Conservapedia posted:

On the eve of tonight's big presidential debate at the Reagan Library, NPR observes: "Ronald Reagan Would Be RINO To Some In Today's GOP." [9] That reflects Conservapedia's Law: Americans are forever becoming more conservative.

Or that Reagan would think Conservapedians and Republicans in general are retards that lie and obfuscate about what he actually said and did.

"Conservapedia posted:

The gunman who massacred many at a Nevada IHOP Tuesday "appeared to be targeting" National Guardsmen as victims, according to several witnesses. [10] Yet the lamestream media do not even discuss it as a possible hate crime.

Do Conservapedians even understand what a hate crime is? It's probably a bunch of Bryan Fischer "You're intolerant of my intolerance!" stuff, right?

"Conservapedia posted:

Rick Perry declares in Wednesday's debate, "Maybe it's time to have some provocative language in this country." [7] Perry again described Social Security as a Ponzi scheme.

And Perry is a welfare queen who uses federal stimulus funds to fill Texas' budget deficit after denouncing said stimulus program. Now, he's asking for federal help to fight wildfires after dramatically cutting firefighting allocations from Texas' budget.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I would like to see the people who decry evolution as useless forgo all things related to to it and resultant from it.

edit: if there's anything that proves Schlafly literally has the mind of the child it's that he consistently uses "lamestream media"

muike fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 8, 2011

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Vox Day is a balls crazy white/male/Christian supremacist libertarian nutjob.

Pretentious Turtle posted:

I would like to see the people who decry evolution as useless forgo all things related to to it and resultant from it.

Such as lungs.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I mostly meant in the realm of science but that would be interesting too.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Pretentious Turtle posted:

edit: if there's anything that proves Schlafly literally has the mind of the child it's that he consistently uses "lamestream media"

Pope Guilty posted:

Vox Day is a balls crazy white/male/Christian supremacist libertarian nutjob.

Such as lungs.

Michael Egnor is far worse, because he brings some credibility in that he's an accomplished neurosurgeon and most people don't realize that the majority of physicians are not scientists.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bruce Leroy posted:

I've heard a lot of bad poo poo about Wasilla, including that it's the meth and sexual assault capital of Alaska,

Did you also hear how Palin made victims of rape pay for their own rape kits?

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Gorilla Salad posted:

Oh yeah, I heard about it, but there was just enough plausible deniability for Palin to scapegoat the chief of police on the matter (e.g. that he told her that he only needed the smaller amount of funding and she trusted his judgement), which is what she usually does when she does something she's not supposed to. I don't think she did it because she hates rape victims, rather she's a moron who thought she and the chief found an easy way to cut a few thousand dollars out of each year's policing budget by shifting the cost onto the victims' insurance plans, if they had any.

Palin is the posterchild for conservative "personal responsibility." Everyone else has to be responsible for absolutely everything that happens to them, but Palin is only responsible for the good things. Everything else is someone else's fault, usually because they are persecuting her.

So, when she and her family violate a judge's order to not get her ex-brother-in-law fired from the state police and she also orders her subordinates in the Governor's office to help, it's not her or her husband's fault, they never made any phone calls, nor did they ask anyone to make any and you can't prove they did.

When she helps rig the bidding process for the pipeline in favor of Transcanada, it's not her fault, the former Transcanada executives and lobbyists she put on the commission overseeing the bidding process were completely objective, or at least they told her they were.

When she spends over $30,000 of RNC money on clothing during the 2008 election, it's not her fault, they told her to buy those clothes.

When her daughter gets pregnant out of wedlock, it's Levi Johnston's fault, he took advantage of Bristol (at least that's what happened according to Bristol's ghost-written "autobiography").

When she misspeaks, looks dumb in response to questions, or is just plain wrong, it's not her fault, it's the media with their "gotcha questions," e.g. her response to Katie Couric's question, "What newspapers or magazines do you read to keep up with on current events?" was "Um, all of them."

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Gorilla Salad posted:

And would ban rape victims from abortions given half the chance?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Bruce Leroy posted:

When she misspeaks, looks dumb in response to questions, or is just plain wrong, it's not her fault, it's the media with their "gotcha questions," e.g. her response to Katie Couric's question, "What newspapers or magazines do you read to keep up with on current events?" was "Um, all of them."

That Sarah Palin did not cease to be a national figure and political force after that pretty much destroyed whatever faith I had left in my country, at least, for the possibility of rational conversation with the right. I mean, that was pretty much the worst possible answer to that question. "gently caress you, Katie" would have been better, because at least it would imply she understood why it was being asked.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Sep 8, 2011

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

VideoTapir posted:

That Sarah Palin did not cease to be a national figure and political force after that pretty much destroyed whatever faith I had left in my country, at least, for the possibility of rational conversation with the right. I mean, that was pretty much the worst possible answer to that question. "gently caress you, Katie" would have been better, because at least it would imply she understood why it was being asked.

What really pisses me off is the animus and scapegoating of Katie Couric for simply asking a very basic, but important question. There were so many ways an intelligent person could have answered, from simply naming a magazine/newspaper they can think of off the top of their head, to saying that they use the internet instead of print media, to, you know, actually talking about how they stay informed on current events. But Palin is a moron who doesn't give a gently caress.

And what's even better is that she's still doing it.

At this year's Press Club dinner, she was asked who the current most influential journalist is and she was left speechless at first and then asked Todd Palin for help.

Finally, she saw Greta Van Susteren and just blurted out her name, especially since they are friends.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The Battle Axe posted:

The implications of said law is a riot:

Convervapedia posted:

Implications
The implications of the Conservapedia's Law are striking. Over the long term, politics and culture cannot withstand the more powerful forces of logic and language. Conservapedia's Law ensures that a free society will, over time, inevitably become more conservative regardless of the best efforts of liberals. Of course liberal deceit can cause much suffering during that process.

Another implication is that Wikipedia, in order to survive, will inevitably feel compelled to adopt principles similar to Conservapedia's. The liberal practices and rules underlying Wikipedia will either be abandoned or lead it to inevitable ruin.

Yes, drat wikipedia that liberal bastion of liberality, with its 3 million liberally biased articles and 4,800,000,000 liberal editors. When conservatism reaches it peak, they will all convert to Conservapedia. That'll show them.

That "law" also links with their Best New Conservative Words, trying to claim that the language itself is becoming more conservative. How the hell one can politicise ordinary words such as "coolant" and "decrypt" is beyond me.

Then there are his terms which "are not recognised in the dictionary", such as "pre-9/11 thinking" (presumably meaning, to have an attitude towards terrorism as it was before 9/11?) "militant gays" and "limited government". I can think of a very good reason why there are not in any dictionary.

He also limits himself to the Merriam-Webster dictionary and Dictionary.com. What? OED too liberal? He also bastardises "from the cradle to the grave" as cradle to grave", which is in a dictionary.

Equally odd is the essay on New Liberal terms, the choices for which make about as much sense as the new conservative ones.

Why hasn't Schlafly been committed yet?

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

The implications of said law is a riot:

Yes, drat wikipedia that liberal bastion of liberality, with its 3 million liberally biased articles and 4,800,000,000 liberal editors. When conservatism reaches it peak, they will all convert to Conservapedia. That'll show them.

That "law" also links with their Best New Conservative Words, trying to claim that the language itself is becoming more conservative. How the hell one can politicise ordinary words such as "coolant" and "decrypt" is beyond me.

Then there are his terms which "are not recognised in the dictionary", such as "pre-9/11 thinking" (presumably meaning, to have an attitude towards terrorism as it was before 9/11?) "militant gays" and "limited government". I can think of a very good reason why there are not in any dictionary.

He also limits himself to the Merriam-Webster dictionary and Dictionary.com. What? OED too liberal? He also bastardises "from the cradle to the grave" as cradle to grave", which is in a dictionary.

Equally odd is the essay on New Liberal terms, the choices for which make about as much sense as the new conservative ones.

Why hasn't Schlafly been committed yet?

It's pretty much the same reason that those crazy dominionists who think God is literally speaking to them haven't been committed, they are wealthy, white, and Christian, which insulates them from much criticism.

If a homeless man was on a street corner speaking the same exact words as Schlafly writes in Conservapedia, with absolutely no deviation, he'd be swept up by the cops and sent to a mental hospital on a 72-hour hold.

Adama
May 28, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bruce Leroy posted:

Now, he's asking for federal help to fight wildfires after dramatically cutting firefighting allocations from Texas' budget.

Wow. The hypocrisy is amazing.

Stalingrad
Feb 5, 2011

Haha, the last one on those liberal terms:

quote:

woman's rights:
women equal to men; the defining movement to justify aborting babies in the 20th century

If women being equal to men is what allows them to "justify aborting babies", does that mean men have always had the right to abortion? or...I'm so confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Somehow the thing that makes me most angry on that 'liberal terms' list is the assertion that bilingual education harms children. gently caress all bigoted monoglots.

• Locked thread