Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Hey folks. I've been playing the 3DS SMT game a lot and it's my first SMT game, but I already kind of finding myself craving more. All the different mini-series confuse me. What game should I buy??

Person 3:FES, Persona 4 and then...if you love those games enough you can try the psp game for the female route. I'm..nearly halfway through Persona 3:FES, it started out a bit slow for me while I was figuring out how poo poo worked (what social links to do etc) and it all clicked soon after that. Ordered Persona 4 today so I can jump straight into it once I beat FES and I will probably buy the P4vita game. I'm addicted to these games now

Nocturne is really good, but I think its very different/harder than the ps2 Persona games.

TurnipFritter posted:

III's definitely my favorite. I dig the tropical setting and the new classes. It also hits a nice balance between the first game's "You win battles through attrition" and the second game's "You better kill the enemy and fast before it OHOKs your whole party."

Um, but you may want to hold off on buying any of them until after TGS though. Rumors are going around that they're gonna announce a new EO game, so you might want to make sure it isn't gonna be a 3DS port like Devil Survivor Overclock.

All of them.

This is good..except for maybe the devil kid series. I really hope we get remakes of SMT1 and 2 sometime in the future :(.

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Devil Children for the GBA ruled and I refuse to admit that me being a stupid teenager when it released has anything to do with my enjoyment of it. :colbert:

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Baalster posted:

Ummm, depends. What interests you most out of what you've seen so far?

The really non-standard plot that kind of shucks video game tropes. And the demon fusing and capturing.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Sounds like almost any of the games would fit for you then, just keep in mind the Raidou/Devil Summoner series combat is more action game style. But yeah, Persona 3/4 would be a good next stop to get used to the combat in the rest of the series, since Devil Survivor doesn't throw Hama/Mudo and the buff/debuffs at you. Or if you're feeling daring, head to Nocturne and prepare for several game overs.

Axle_Stukov fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 7, 2011

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

The really non-standard plot that kind of shucks video game tropes. And the demon fusing and capturing.

SMT:Nocturne would be the best for you then.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, Nocturne sounds about right.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

That covers just about every SMT game, to be honest. Those are the hallmarks of the series.

If you have a PSP, check out Persona 2: Innocent Sin when it hits later this year. If you have a PS2, check out SMT: Nocturne. It still stands as the best SMT game ever created.

The Persona games are pretty non-standard as far as SMT games go, as you don't actively capture creatures within combat, and your teammates are all human. They're still fantastic games, though, and I recommend any post-Innocent Sin title.

P2: Eternal Punishment (basically the B-side of Innocent Sin) is hard to find on PSone, but also a fantastic game. Persona 3 and Persona 4 are no-brainers.

If you are looking for some hardcore dungeon crawling (and end up liking Nocturne), I strongly recommend SMT: Strange Journey (provided you have a DS). More in-line with traditional SMT than the persona games, Strange Journey has a very unusual plot for an RPG, and rock solid combat. I'm not a huge fan of the late game dungeon design, but it's still a great game.

It would do you good to investigate Nocturne, first, though. You'll love it.

thetrin fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 7, 2011

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

thetrin posted:

P2: Eternal Punishment (basically the B-side of Innocent Sin) is hard to find on PSone, but also a fantastic game. Persona 3 and Persona 4 are no-brainers.

Or you could just wait for the eventual remake of EP for PSP/Vita :v:

If you get Persona 3 be sure to get FES or P3P. The pros and cons of each have been highlighted somewhere, but basically: FES has full character animation and The Answer, which is an epilogue sort of thing that comes after the game's ending and is heavily dungeon/grind-based. P3P doesn't have character models or The Answer but it has the female protagonist and a few additional social links with party members in that route. P3P also adds in direct party member control where in FES they did their own thing according to strategies you gave them.

Don't get P3 vanilla, both FES and P3P have polished the original formula quite a bit.

(Nocturne still sounds best for you though.)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Devil Children for the GBA ruled and I refuse to admit that me being a stupid teenager when it released has anything to do with my enjoyment of it. :colbert:

That's okay: I will totally admit you were(?) a stupid teenager for you, because that game is dire.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Syrg Sapphire posted:

That's okay: I will totally admit you were(?) a stupid teenager for you, because that game is dire.

Being stuck with one game on a long boring vacation sets your standards pretty low. :v:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Nocturne is really hard, but I think it is the distillation of everything that is really good in the MegaTen series. It might be a bit of an ambitious place to start, but it's definitely worth playing sooner or later.

The other series are all good too as well, as everyone else has related. I think the OP has a pretty good run down on all of them.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Being stuck with one game on a long boring vacation sets your standards pretty low. :v:

Okay, this one I'll give you, because I had Bomberman... Generations? one of the GBA ones one year on holiday, and holy poo poo I never touched that again when I got home.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Hey folks. I've been playing the 3DS SMT game a lot and it's my first SMT game, but I already kind of finding myself craving more. All the different mini-series confuse me. What game should I buy??

Oooh, welcome to SMT! The short answer to your question is, indeed, "all of them".

The longer answer is: It's pretty confusing what series is what, and what game is from what, and all. I started with Persona 4, myself, and it was a long time before I figured out what the hell was going on with the series and the basis, and the spinoffs, and.... An article that was helpful to me was Hardcore Gaming 101's Megami Tensei/Shin Megami Tensei write up on the series.

I say look around and find one you think looks interesting. If you like it, keep playing, if not, go to the next one that looks awesome. There are a ton of different kinds and styles of spinoff series, and they're quite different from each other. A lot of the games have Let's Plays, so you can always check them out, too, to see how the game plays. I've personally tried Persona 3 & 4, the MMORPG Imagine, Strange Journey, Devil Survivor, and the Raidou Kuzunoha Devil Summoners for PS2, and ended up liking them all.

Catalina fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 8, 2011

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

dumb brunette posted:

Or you could just wait for the eventual remake of EP for PSP/Vita :v:

Despite the fact that I already own IS and EP on PSone, I'm going to be part of the problem and buy them both again. :v:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

thetrin posted:

Despite the fact that I already own IS and EP on PSone, I'm going to be part of the problem and buy them both again. :v:

Please do, because then you help fund remakes for people like me who missed the games the first time. :v: Speaking of which, I almost have enough money together to preorder Persona 2: Innocent Sin. September is such a hard month for video gamers.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Do we know if Atlus is going to release an OST for Overclocked? I mean it seemed it only added a few new songs but I wouldn't mind being able to hear Metatron's stage theme again. :shobon:

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Better Question: Does Atlus have plans to release OSTs on iTunes or Amazon. I'd love to give them money domestically if I could.

Also, i fin pd ot hilarious that the KOFXII SE has a bigger OST than the IS one.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

thetrin posted:

I got you beat.

I bought a 3DS just for Overclocked. I still own the original game.

I held off selling my PSP because over IS, and I've already beaten both EP and IS. I own those games as well as the old EP strategy guide.

I'm buying a Vita specifically for the P4 port.

No SMT title slips past me.

Doorselfin
Dec 18, 2004

You broke my sitar, motherfucker.

Baalster posted:

"It's called Persona."
"What's it about?"
"You kill demons by shooting yourself in the head."
"Really?! Dude, that's pretty metal."
"Yeah, look at this guy. He's a skeleton with scythe."
"Holy poo poo!"

This is excellent. I used to liken it to a Japanese version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and results were less impressive.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

MelvinTheJerk posted:

I'm buying a Vita specifically for the P4 port.
Yeah, that, and I almost never buy a console for one game...

...also what the gently caress is an octopus doing in a river :psyduck:

U.T. Raptor fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Sep 8, 2011

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

U.T. Raptor posted:

Yeah, that, and I almost never buy a console for one game...

...also what the gently caress is an octopus doing in a river :psyduck:

I don't think that's the same fishing spot. Notice the rocks are completely different from where you cast from before, and the background doesn't really match what should be there. I assume its some new fishing location in Okina or whatever.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Do we know if Atlus is going to release an OST for Overclocked? I mean it seemed it only added a few new songs but I wouldn't mind being able to hear Metatron's stage theme again. :shobon:

Yuzu Day 8 Belberith's theme ain't bad either. I mean, I was too busy laughing at certain parts of the fight to pay that much attention to it, but it sounded better than the original final boss fight music.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
the trailer for the fighting game is out on youtube and it looks CRAZY. Also Kanji and Yukiko confirmed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuVCDMKY_oA&feature=player_embedded

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Cityinthesea posted:

the trailer for the fighting game is out on youtube and it looks CRAZY. Also Kanji and Yukiko confirmed.

Yep, the personas are totally stands.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Cityinthesea posted:

Yu does a combo with his persona that reminds me a lot of Carl Clover. I wonder if each character's persona is going to have that kind of control, or if only Yu can surround foes.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

SO loving HYPE

I was a total jerk for BlazBlue so I'll import this day one if Atlus is lame and does not have localize plans.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Chie looks like she plays like Jam, Sosuke like Ky, and they have have Carl-like Persona attacks.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Blhue posted:

Welp, now that there's a fighter spinoff, how long until the Super Robot Wars-esque srpg featuring characters from various SMT games?

Stop making me want things that would be too cool to exist.

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.
Calling it now: Aigis' tie will be indication that she has been reprogrammed by Adachi and now fights for him. Either that or she has filled the tie quota enough already that he's out of the question as a playable character.

Joking aside, I actually quite like the tie. :shobon: Then again maybe I just like ties period. Now those things on her headband though... what the heck are those?

This game is looking pretty awesome so far, especially in motion. I can't wait for all the inevitable fights against my best friend that will undoubtedly end in her yelling at me for being a piece of poo poo as she kicks my rear end. :allears:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Interesting. It looks like some of the stages take are in a Limbo-like place between the real world and the TV world. They look like they're in Inaba, but the people in the background are just silhouettes.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

PunkBoy posted:

Interesting. It looks like some of the stages take are in a Limbo-like place between the real world and the TV world. They look like they're in Inaba, but the people in the background are just silhouettes.

Pay-per-view fighting tournaments, only on the Midnight Channel.

Sponsored by Junes

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Suaimhneas posted:

Pay-per-view fighting tournaments, only on the Midnight Channel.

Sponsored by Junes

Coming this Cusomter Appreciation Day.

oh no...

At Junes, every day is customer appreciation day!

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Aha, everyone has nicknames they hate. At least the game has a sense of humor.

e: or maybe just the advertisement. Pretty funny, though.

e2: status effects are in? Oh boy.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cityinthesea posted:

This looks more like Arcana Heart than it does JoJo.

EDIT: So what? Is it like, only a P4 fighter but with Aigis as an extra character? Because it really doesn't seem like a crossover beyond that.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 8, 2011

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
It looks like Blazblue with a dash of JoJos and some SMT stuff like status effects apparently, which is about what I expected.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm just hoping the engine is more free-flow like GG and less stiff and slow like Blazblue. Looks like the former so crossing fingers.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
It always struck me as strange that parents and religious fundamentalists never attacked these games like they do with GTA or military shooter #44. Obviously the most controversial(SMT2) game was never released here but geeze..I've seen tons of fundies say how pokemon is satanic. So, what I'm getting at is that I did a bored google search and found this webpage:

http://guide2games.org/2008-reviews/991/shin-megami-tensei-persona-3-fes/

Persona 3 and DDS got a 2/5 christian rating, makes you wonder what he'd rate Nocturne :v:

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 8, 2011

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Because these games don't sell a million copies, or even half that (unless you include all versions of Persona 3, then it's well over a million).

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dolphin Fetus posted:

It always struck me as strange that parents and religious fundamentalists never attacked these games like they do with GTA or military shooter #44. Obviously the most controversial(SMT2) game was never released here but geeze..

I'd say it's a matter of popularity, honestly. Most parents and religious fundamentalists probably don't even know Megaten exists. They are more than well aware of the existence of GTA or military shooter #44.

Edit: And beaten. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Dolphin Fetus posted:

It always struck me as strange that parents and religious fundamentalists never attacked these games like they do with GTA or military shooter #44. Obviously the most controversial(SMT2) game was never released here but geeze..I've seen tons of fundies say how pokemon is satanic. So, what I'm getting at is that I did a bored google search and found this webpage:

http://guide2games.org/2008-reviews/991/shin-megami-tensei-persona-3-fes/

Persona 3 and DDS got a 2/5 christian rating, makes you wonder what he'd rate Nocturne :v:

I kinda wanted to pull quotes from the "adult content" section, but he :spergin: about high pixie's nipples for too long.

[e] I'm disappointed he doesn't have a no more heroes review.

Agnostic watermelon fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 8, 2011