Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Dominic White posted:

Seriously, if you're playing Descent 1/2, then the best controller for the job is a Xbox 360 gamepad or equivalent. Full analogue movement across all axes, and plenty of buttons to spare. D2XL binds it all dead easy. 30-second easy, even.

Sure, you could so that, if you're some kind of weak little baby gamer. Real men fire up FacetrackNoIR and use a webcam to map head movements to ship control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Maxwell Adams posted:

Sure, you could so that, if you're some kind of weak little baby gamer. Real men fire up FacetrackNoIR and use a webcam to map head movements to ship control.

Bonus points if you drink a couple of ales before playing, as if playing descent wasnt already a mindfuck with all these small corridors and turns and... and... God, that game is the only one that made me have motion sickness when i was a kid :negative:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Dominic White posted:

Seriously, if you're playing Descent 1/2, then the best controller for the job is a Xbox 360 gamepad or equivalent. Full analogue movement across all axes, and plenty of buttons to spare. D2XL binds it all dead easy. 30-second easy, even.
…actually, that's a pretty darn brilliant idea. :O
I'm going to try that immediately.

Then again, it feels like you'll miss a button or two — not in the sense that there aren't enough buttons, but that you won't have enough fingers to reach them all.

L/R stick for strafing and turning; shoulder buttons/triggers for movement forwards/backwards and rolling… but that only leaves the pinky and ring fingers to fire weapons, and there aren't any buttons for those :(

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Reive posted:

Absolutely:

Also yes I do think enemies are a little too fast, maybe someone can point it out to the creator.

Love that gif :allears:

Just played Project MSX and drat, its really nice. I recognize FEAR sounds (can them be from FEAR 2?) and weapons. It just bothers me the extremely high monster speed and making the HUD more transparent would be nice. Its a good first version anyways.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Tippis posted:

Then again, it feels like you'll miss a button or two — not in the sense that there aren't enough buttons, but that you won't have enough fingers to reach them all.

L/R stick for strafing and turning; shoulder buttons/triggers for movement forwards/backwards and rolling… but that only leaves the pinky and ring fingers to fire weapons, and there aren't any buttons for those :(
You just reminded me of some old gamepad I have lying around that has extra "shoulder" buttons on the handles of the pad, perfect for hitting with the middle/ring fingers. I should dig that up and see how practical it ends up feeling.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Tippis posted:

I've got click-left-stick as 'hold to roll'. Beyond that, I've got most of the other functions bound to the face buttons and D-pad though.

All the actual core gameplay controls I've got all without having to move fingers at all - left stick facing, right stick strafe, triggers throttle, and LB/RB as primary/secondary fire.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Tippis posted:

Honestly I can't imagine a worse controller for Descent than a dual analog pad. Not enough axis in the right places, plus the lovely control of analog sticks, and not enough buttons and not in convenient places.

Plus, you will have a whole ton of fun trying to cycle through 22 different weapons.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Dominic White posted:

I've got click-left-stick as 'hold to roll'. Beyond that, I've got most of the other functions bound to the face buttons and D-pad though.

All the actual core gameplay controls I've got all without having to move fingers at all - left stick facing, right stick strafe, triggers throttle, and LB/RB as primary/secondary fire.

Left Stick - Strafe Left/Right, Move Forward/Back
Right Stick - Turn Left/Right, Look Up/Down
Left Stick Button - Move Up
Right Stick Button - Move Down
Left Bumper - Roll Left
Right Bumber - Roll Right

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 7, 2011

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

SwissCM posted:

Left Stick - Turn Left/Right, Move Forward/Back
Right Stick - Strafe Left/Right, Look Up/Down

This goes against every instinct I have for controlling a vehicle or a camera in 3D space. The last time I saw something this mis-matched was N64's Goldeneye. Pitch and Yaw should ALWAYS be on the same stick. You specifically put one of these on each stick. Intolerable! :colbert:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Essobie posted:

This goes against every instinct I have for controlling a vehicle or a camera in 3D space. The last time I saw something this mis-matched was N64's Goldeneye. Pitch and Yaw should ALWAYS be on the same stick. You specifically put one of these on each stick. Intolerable! :colbert:

Oh derp, messed up.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Either way, I think it's interesting that, to this day — what? 16 years later? — properly controlling the full range of movement that Decent offers is a tricky thing to do without some pretty elaborate controllers. The optimal setup is still some kind of dual flightstick (or possibly joystick + keyboard, if you can live with on/off controls for movement), and finding sticks that allow for this is still as much of a hassle as all those years ago. And the game came out roughly about the same time as other games started to experiment with mouselook.

<nostalgia>
What a game…
</nostalgia>

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I'm not sure what the whole hullabaloo is about using a gamepad for Descent. I went through this whole process about a year ago, configured everything to my own anal retentive sense of perfection, and played through a good chunk of the game on a 360 pad before switching to keyboard/mouse. I found it much, much easier to control that way, even with the hinky mouse sensitivity. I even tried a sidewinder for a good while, but would go back to the M+K for the more difficult later levels. It may be conditioning, or it may be that I hit the sweet spot with the mouse sensitivity that I just couldn't replicate with the other controllers.

THAT SAID, if you're not digging dusty old joysticks out of the closet/garage to try and use with the Descent games, you're playing them wrong.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tippis posted:

Either way, I think it's interesting that, to this day — what? 16 years later? — properly controlling the full range of movement that Decent offers is a tricky thing to do without some pretty elaborate controllers. The optimal setup is still some kind of dual flightstick (or possibly joystick + keyboard, if you can live with on/off controls for movement), and finding sticks that allow for this is still as much of a hassle as all those years ago.

Or, you know, keyboard+mouse, which works just fine. At this point I've tried Descent keyboard-only, keyboard+joystick, dual-stick gamepad, and keyboard+mouse, and KB+M still works best.

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

Reive posted:

I'm normally a Doom purist but dammit that gif kicks rear end.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Kins, I hate to nag you like this, but you really have to somehow make ReDoom compatible with the 10x mod. You would make me the happiest man alive.

At least the gibbing animations. At least that. My god I can't imagine the meat.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

Kins, I hate to nag you like this, but you really have to somehow make ReDoom compatible with the 10x mod. You would make me the happiest man alive.

At least the gibbing animations. At least that. My god I can't imagine the meat.
Seems easy enough. I don't actually have ReDoom on me right now, embarrassingly, so I did a test using Brutal Doom.

Still needs a few tweaks, but you'll probably see something nice this weekend.

EDIT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_9y1KdlcRU

The Kins fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Sep 8, 2011

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

:aaa: Wow. Too bad my laptop can't handle Brutal Doom :sigh:

What was that Dancing Mad remix there, by the way? It sounds pretty sick.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
For anyone not paying attention to GOG sales, Apogee games are half off. I own Duke already, though I'm tempted by Rise of the Triad. I've played a bit of the fan made sequel Return of the Triad and liked it, until I got lost anyway.

Pheener
Jun 7, 2003

Extraordinary!
I will absolutely, definitely play that when you release it (in reference to 10x Brutal Doom). Holy poo poo that looks amazing.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Brutal Doom makes 1-on-1 fights with Pain Elementals the funnest thing ever (when you've picked up a Berserk item on that map already.) It devolves into a game of catch, snatching up the PE's Lost Souls and chucking them back in his face. Go too slow and you just start throwing Lost Souls into more Lost Souls. And then when the PE starts getting into a fight with its own Lost Souls? That's how you fall into another dimension.

Also, 0.12's Mancubus' Fire Cannons are ostensibly terrible. But they are pretty good at dealing with clusters of lowly creatures like Imps and Zombies because once you set a few on fire, their flaming corpses start damaging those around them. Then some of them burst into flames. Of course it would be a lot quicker to unload a rocket or chaingun into the group, so it's sort of a moot point.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 9, 2011

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Of course it would be a lot quicker to unload a rocket or chaingun into the group, so it's sort of a moot point.

Try Deus Vult with Brutal Doom. It's absolutely necessary to manipulate infighting just to survive those massive waves. Having a Mancubii or two among 150 imps is as good as any power up.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Here ya go! 10x.wad for ReDoom and Brutal Doom. Enjoy!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

treat posted:

Try Deus Vult with Brutal Doom. It's absolutely necessary to manipulate infighting just to survive those massive waves. Having a Mancubii or two among 150 imps is as good as any power up.

I was talking about the Brutal Doom "Flame Cannon" you can take off of Mancubi when you gib them. It's not a particularly great weapon. Getting Mancubi to in-fight with other creatures (or, more like getting other creatures to in-fight with Mancubi) is a pretty easy task and--with Brutal Doom's fire effects--a glorious thing to behold in Brutal Doom.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Kins posted:

E3M9 :stare::stare::stare::stare:

Thanks for this, Kins! Word of advice for anyone trying this with a sub-par computer: avoid the "kill monsters" command

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

The Kins posted:

This is amazing, thanks!

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

The Kins posted:

Beautiful. Now we just need 10x with Aeons of Death.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rather Dashing posted:

Beautiful. Now we just need 10x with Aeons of Death.

Nuts. Dot. Wad.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

KozmoNaut posted:

Nuts. Dot. Wad.

I tried 10x with Nuts.wad. Instantly locked up everything. I never thought I could ever get sick of Kashmir :suicide:

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

So, I tried to 100% E4M1 with the 10x mod.

Then I tried Tricks & Traps.

These maps still feel doable, but after about 15 tries on each level I realised I was about to waste my weekend if I continued, soo...

edit: the hosed up part about Tricks & Traps is that the hardest rooms by far are the imp and the pain elemental rooms. Seriously. I never got as far as the final room which, if I remember correctly, will be filled with 10 or so spectres, but I assume a couple blasts of the BFG whould be enough. Well, as long as my health holds out as they begin chewing my face off. What makes the imp room as bad as it is is that about 600 of those bastards start pouring out and there just aren't enough shells on the map for you to take them all out unless you're willing to travel around and let them infet the place. Plus there's no super shotgun, and the chaingun is stashed in the pain elemental room which is just way too cramped and you can't walk through lost souls and it can just go gently caress itself nine ways sideways gently caress YOU PAIN ELEMENTAL ROOM gently caress YOU. :argh:

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 10, 2011

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm dumb.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 10, 2011

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

quote =/= edit

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Yeah, can't get nuts.wad to load with 10x alone, much less with all of the additional poo poo that Brutal Doom spawns. Poor Doom engine just can't handle it.

edit: this owns

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 10, 2011

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!

The Kins posted:

Fraps doesn't work on my PC (no sound), so I want to try recording a video of this on my Mac.

I downloaded Skulltag for OSX, but it doesn't work. So I downloaded Doomseeker. I attempt to get around this by creating an independent server and playing in offline mode. When I set the Executable to Skulltag.app I keep getting this:

This really sucks.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Brutal Doom with 10x mod is fuckin crazy. I thought about getting some custom wads to gently caress with but I realized that only specific ones would be fun. Can anyone recommend good wads that aren't made impossible by 10x + Brutal Doom?

edit: It took me over 30 minutes to beat E1M1 in Doom 2. Then the next level loads and its just a massacre. Basically this mod owns.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 11, 2011

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Brutal Doom with 10x mod is fuckin crazy. I thought about getting some custom wads to gently caress with but I realized that only specific ones would be fun. Can anyone recommend good wads that aren't made impossible by 10x + Brutal Doom?

Alien Vendetta.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The Starship Troopers TC mod for DN3D is great, but I have to say that E1M1 is utter bullshit at first. Timed escape sequence AND I could barely figure out the way out on the first try because of tons of doors and an annoying "shoot the switch" puzzle near the end. :argh:

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

tooooooo bad posted:

Dear God, it's like a solid block of blood.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Tobaccrow posted:

Dear God, it's like a solid block of blood.

Yeah this isn't going to get old for a loooong while.

EDIT: Jesus, E1M5 is killing my laptop. I gibbed what must have been bout a hundred enemies on the elevator behind the yellow door. Now the game hangs for 30 seconds every time the elevator moves because it has to calculate the new positions of all of those meat nuggets :suicide:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 11, 2011

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I quit playing the Starship Troopers TC. It's so frustrating later on because there's so little ammo and in one part I couldn't blow up a wall with grenades because they kept bouncing off and the flak would kill me. Plus in order to cross a gap I had to jump on a very small piece of bridge debris sticking up from the ground. If I didn't make it I'd take fall damage, which combined with the annoying bugs would cause me to have at least 40 health.

It's a great mod, I do like the aesthetics, but the maps piss me off. If the later episodes are any better I might try them but the first episode is not fun at all.

Also, how do I turn off the mouse movement in the menus? If I access the menu in game moving the mouse up and down highlights menu items and it gets annoying.

e: I'm a dumbass and didn't remember grenades worked like pipebombs and could be left in a room while I go outside and detonate them.

Still, gently caress that stupid platforming and that first level escape sequence.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

tooooooo bad posted:

One of the best GIFs ever.

There's something so brilliantly cathartic about playing DOOM today. It's so simple and easy to understand, very few games work like this anymore, where you can just sort of play a quick "pick up" game and blast some baddies.

It sounds like a real :corsair: rant, but gosh durnit', I remember when games only had ONE splash screen, and no intro cinematics to skip through!