Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy has gotten me in the mood for a real taut spy/political thriller. Something along the lines of Munich or even something more political like Manchurian Candidate

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

WeaponX posted:

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy has gotten me in the mood for a real taut spy/political thriller. Something along the lines of Munich or even something more political like Manchurian Candidate

If you don't mind foreign language, Z is possibly the best political thriller out there.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

WeaponX posted:

The Parallax View is similar to the Manchurian Candidate and fairly political. It's part of the Pakula "Paranoia Trilogy": Klute (Not political but good), The Parallax View, and All the President's Men which might interest you to check them all out.

I'll drop it after this one, but my request for recommendations slipped off the last page without a word so I'll ask one more time and otherwise figure no one has any recommendations.

One Hour Photo caught my eye today again, I'd seen it before but I was struck by the subtle unnerving obsession of Robin Williams. I was wondering if there was anything similar? I'm not looking for "I'm an over-the-top loving psycho stalker" more along the lines of being trapped in between a sympathetic and pathetically obsessed person.

Mouser.. fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 3, 2011

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Mouser.. posted:

One Hour Photo caught my eye today again, I'd seen it before but I was struck by the subtle unnerving obsession of Robin Williams. I was wondering if there was anything similar? I'm not looking for "I'm an over-the-top loving psycho stalker" more along the lines of being trapped in between a sympathetic and pathetically obsessed person.

Red Road I believe fits the sympathetic/pathetic obsession dichotomy pretty well and its on Netflix Instant. It's certainly unnerving.

I would also say Zodiac and The Prestige as well. Of course there are the more obvious suggestions, Memento and Taxi Driver

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 3, 2011

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I saw Network recently and what really fascinated me that it was essentially a collection of incredibly powerful and astoundingly well performed monologues, it's really one of my favorite movies, and the scene with Jensen (I think that was his name) hammering the power of capitalism into the viewer's head during that incredible long shot of the table with the lamps was one of the few moments I've really felt like somehow a film had made it feel as though the power of the character himself was somehow existing in the room with me, rather than behind a screen.

I've always loved good monologues, there are some obvious ones, like Brando's in Apocalypse Now, or Hauer's in Bladerunner, and then a few less obvious like the great philosophical tangents that almost turn into soliliqiuies in Stalker or Solaris.

What are some films that have especially awe-inspiring monologues? I'd prefer ones where it isn't simply used as some sort of cathartic device near the end of the film, but a regular occurence, I know that's pretty much the vast majority of film as simply stated. but something like Network where the monologues are essentially the focus, framework and entire point of the film are what I'm really looking for.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

JebanyPedal posted:

What are some films that have especially awe-inspiring monologues?

Sort of an obvious one, but Glengarry Glen Ross is pretty much a string of awesome monologues as well.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Daveski posted:

Sort of an obvious one, but Glengarry Glen Ross is pretty much a string of awesome monologues as well.

Actually it's not an obvious one to me since I still haven't seen it! If that's the case then I'm definitely going to watch this next, I probably should have done it a long time ago anyway.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

JebanyPedal posted:

I saw Network recently and what really fascinated me that it was essentially a collection of incredibly powerful and astoundingly well performed monologues, it's really one of my favorite movies, and the scene with Jensen (I think that was his name) hammering the power of capitalism into the viewer's head during that incredible long shot of the table with the lamps was one of the few moments I've really felt like somehow a film had made it feel as though the power of the character himself was somehow existing in the room with me, rather than behind a screen.

I've always loved good monologues, there are some obvious ones, like Brando's in Apocalypse Now, or Hauer's in Bladerunner, and then a few less obvious like the great philosophical tangents that almost turn into soliliqiuies in Stalker or Solaris.

What are some films that have especially awe-inspiring monologues? I'd prefer ones where it isn't simply used as some sort of cathartic device near the end of the film, but a regular occurence, I know that's pretty much the vast majority of film as simply stated. but something like Network where the monologues are essentially the focus, framework and entire point of the film are what I'm really looking for.

The Americanization of Emily, The Hospital, Patterns, the 1977 version of Our Town, Chinese Coffee, Citizen Kane, The Caine Mutiny, Marty, Judgement at Nuremberg.

What you're looking for is much more common in TV, though. I mean that's like half of MASH, Homicide, and The Twilight Zone. Or Shakespeare adaptations.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

JebanyPedal posted:

I know you don't want 1 monologue that is cathartic but I would be remiss not to recommend Jean-Claude Van Dammes monologue at the end of JCVD which was one of the most heartfelt monologues I've seen as it is him directly addressing the audience about how he lost his way in life. The movie isn't awful either but if you don't want to waste the time, the monologue is here on youtube.

JCVD Monologue (Subtitled if that's a dealbreaker)

Mouser.. fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 3, 2011

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

JebanyPedal posted:

Actually it's not an obvious one to me since I still haven't seen it! If that's the case then I'm definitely going to watch this next, I probably should have done it a long time ago anyway.

Oops sorry, didn't mean to sound snobby or anything. It's a great film and features some great monologues, especially by Pacino but Alec Baldwin's scene is a classic as well.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

JebanyPedal posted:

In addition to penismightier's suggestions, I'd say Magnolia, Do the Right Thing, and Rashomon, with Rushmore for dessert.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Mouser.. posted:

I'll drop it after this one, but my request for recommendations slipped off the last page without a word so I'll ask one more time and otherwise figure no one has any recommendations.

The Talented Mr. Ripley
is pretty good. Don't watch the trailer, it gives too much away. And Owning Mahoney stars Phillip Seymour Hoffman as a man with a gambling obsession he can't control.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 4, 2011

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
This is going to be an odd one, but here it goes. I recently watched the movie Angel's Egg again (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel%27s_Egg) and I really enjoyed the surreal nature of it, and what its about. Some people will probably just called it pretentious anime crap, but I really enjoyed it.

I guess recommend movies of this nature and style, I guess? Experimental style and all that.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Having been driving about quite a bit this weekend, what are some good documentaries about the building of massive structures, such as bridges?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Is All About Lily Chou-Chou any good?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

csidle posted:

Having been driving about quite a bit this weekend, what are some good documentaries about the building of massive structures, such as bridges?

In a couple of days PBS will be showing a Nova documentary, Engineering Ground Zero.
Looks pretty interesting.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I have 2 film types I'd like.

Something that's nightmarish would be good. Specifically I want something more along the lines of Argento's Suspiria and Inferno, where a lot of the horror comes from the antagonist being really powerful as well as the bizarre architecture and general art direction. The school scene in Silent Hill was a goodish example of this but I'd like it if the sense of dread ran throughout such as In The Mouth Of Madness.

The second type of film I'd like to see would be pretty much the latter half of The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada or Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia. A lot of stuff about the desert, but not really a western, though similar cinematography of the characters being lost in the landscape kind of thing. Transporting dead bodies doesn't need to be a plot point but I wouldn't be against it.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

justcola posted:

The second type of film I'd like to see would be pretty much the latter half of The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada or Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia. A lot of stuff about the desert, but not really a western, though similar cinematography of the characters being lost in the landscape kind of thing. Transporting dead bodies doesn't need to be a plot point but I wouldn't be against it.

Check out The Proposition. It's set during the colonization of Australia and uses the Outback beautifully. The whole film feels hot and sweaty and dirty. And, like the best films about the subject matter, it's about the way that the wilderness at the edge of civilization destroys the humanity in people.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

justcola posted:

The original Flight of the Phoenix (not the crap 2004 remake) and Gus Van Sant did a lost in the desert type movie called Gerry (I can't describe it except to say that it's very Gus Van Sant arthouse style. Some say it's terribly boring, some say it's beautiful.)

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

justcola posted:

3 Godfathers, a really good John Ford movie. e: no "The" in title. :blush:

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Sep 6, 2011

Snitch
Nov 18, 2004

When all else fails, there's always delusion.
Just got done watching The Negotiator and The Kill Point and was looking for something along the same lines, anything heist/hostagey..

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Alhazred posted:

Is All About Lily Chou-Chou any good?

yes

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

Snitch posted:

Just got done watching The Negotiator and The Kill Point and was looking for something along the same lines, anything heist/hostagey..

Heist films:

The Asphalt Jungle
The Killing
Rififi
Bob le Flambeur
Le Cercle Rouge
The Silent Partner
Honor Among Thieves
Thief

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Starscream posted:

Heist films:

The Asphalt Jungle
The Killing
Rififi
Bob le Flambeur
Le Cercle Rouge
The Silent Partner
Honor Among Thieves
Thief

Another fun heist/con man flick is David Mamet's The Spanish Prisoner. Hell, while we're at it, so is his film debut House of Games

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Snitch posted:

Well then, Dog Day Afternoon would work.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.

Snitch posted:

Have you seen Inside Man yet? One of my favorites in this vein :)

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
What are some good 70's/80's/90's horror movies with ridiculous twist endings? A la Sleepaway Camp, Happy Birthday To Me, Pieces, New York Ripper (even though the twist ending was unintentional), Phantasm.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

codyclarke posted:

What are some good 70's/80's/90's horror movies with ridiculous twist endings? A la Sleepaway Camp, Happy Birthday To Me, Pieces, New York Ripper (even though the twist ending was unintentional), Phantasm.

April Fool's Day

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

codyclarke posted:

High Tension is 2000s, but definitely qualifies.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Which DVD edition of Lawrence of Arabia should I get? There are several different cuts, some with overture/intermission/exit music, one with Spielberg commentary, seemingly two aspect ratios (IMDB says it was filmed in 2.20:1, but one edition lists it as 2.55:1??).

I'm aware it's coming out next year on Blu-Ray. I want a DVD to watch now, and since I've never seen it, I'd like to see the preferred version. The Superbit will probably be the best picture quality, but that's kinda moot as I will probably own the Blu-Ray eventually. I just want the best version. Google doesn't give any comparison results.

Wikipedia states that there's been three unique DVD releases, along with a single-disc budget release and one that's part of a collection.

Limited Edition, 2001
Superbit, 2003
Collector's Edition, 2008

Which way to go?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Aside from Meet Frankenstein and Hold That Ghost, what are some good Abbot and Costello movies?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

penismightier posted:

Aside from Meet Frankenstein and Hold That Ghost, what are some good Abbot and Costello movies?

I loved Meet the Mummy and Jack and the Beanstalk as a child, but I can't promise anything about good.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

penismightier posted:

Who Done It is one of my favorites. The cheese scene still cracks me up hard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cm-blfss64

Other good ones:
Hit the Ice
The Time of Their Lives
In Society
The Noose Hangs High

codyclarke fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 12, 2011

ReverendSasquatch
Feb 22, 2005

thought I told you to SHUT UP!
Does anyone know of any solid documentaries examining people's religious beliefs concerning the end of the word (specifically the Christian rapture, but others are cool as well)?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It seems that the majority of the MST3K episodes on Netflix streaming are ones I never bothered to watch. Is there any extremely funny one(s) I've missed from the lot?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

It seems that the majority of the MST3K episodes on Netflix streaming are ones I never bothered to watch. Is there any extremely funny one(s) I've missed from the lot?

Werewolf
The Final Sacrifice
Zombie Nightmare
The Killer Shrews
Eegah!
Santa Clause
Soultaker

These are all classics in my mind. Eegah! and The Final Sacrifice in particular are the sources of many, many, jokes throughout the series. Werewolf is a personal favorite.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I'm in the mood for a botched-heist movie. Good examples are Reservoir Dogs and Dog Day Afternoon, but can include early noir like White Heat (it counts because an undercover cop wrecks their final heist of the film, but it isn't a prime example of one). Does anyone know of any more I could catch?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Starshark posted:

I'm in the mood for a botched-heist movie. Good examples are Reservoir Dogs and Dog Day Afternoon, but can include early noir like White Heat (it counts because an undercover cop wrecks their final heist of the film, but it isn't a prime example of one). Does anyone know of any more I could catch?

This isn't quite what you are looking for, as it's both a comedy and more about a botched getaway rather than a botched heist, but Quick Change is so bloody wonderful that I have to recommend it every chance that I get. It's Bill Murray's best film, and hardly anyone has seen it, which is a crime.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Starshark posted:

I feel like these almost count as spoilers, but there's Before The Devil Knows You're Dead, Kubrick's early noir The Killing, the underrated Blue Collar (as long as longer-term fallout from a heist counts), and this is slightly more of a stretch but the three-part miniseries/6 hour film Carlos, about the career of international guerilla/terrorist Ilyich "Carlos" Ramirez ("Carlos The Jackal" to the media), gives over almost the entire pivotal second half to his taking the entire 1975 OPEC conference hostage, without really being prepared for the consequences. It's absurdly tense, a true story and conducted largely in English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

WeaponX posted:

Werewolf
The Final Sacrifice
Zombie Nightmare
The Killer Shrews
Eegah!
Santa Clause
Soultaker

These are all classics in my mind. Eegah! and The Final Sacrifice in particular are the sources of many, many, jokes throughout the series. Werewolf is a personal favorite.
Great picks, I second them all. Night of the Blood Beast and Pod People are both on there too. Huzzah!

• Locked thread