Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mewse
May 2, 2006

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Okay, I'm kind of out of the loop, but I have an old, jailbroken (on 4.2 era firmware) iPhone I want to clean up and sell.

Problem: When I switch it on, it seems stuck in recovery mode (iTunes and cable logo). I can't seem to put it in DFU; I still had TinyUmbrella knocking about and that identifies it fine, but "Exit recovery" works only to the extent the phone reboots and hey presto! Back where I started.

iTunes I doubt will be any help; it refuses to restore (even with a firmware I downloaded) with "An unknown error occured (21)".

This is iTunes 10; should I bother updating it, can anybody recommend any next steps?

I ideally want to end up with the phone in a saleable condition, which it isn't right now. Factory settings would rock.

- Update iTunes
- Fix your hosts file (make sure TinyUmbrella isn't setting hosts to cydia on exit)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

I upgraded iTunes and tried again (checked hosts too) and same error (21) I'm afraid.

Time to fire up Google again methinks :(

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

ZoDiAC_ posted:

I upgraded iTunes and tried again (checked hosts too) and same error (21) I'm afraid.

Time to fire up Google again methinks :(

I had a similar issue once. Try running iReb in sn0wbreeze to get in to "pwned dfu mode" and then do a shift+restore in iTunes and you should be good to go.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Cool, I'll give that a try thanks!

The annoying thing about googling this is any time you mention the word "jailbreak" there's tons of forum threads from various places where the only input people have is "don't jailbreak". Real helpful!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What's with the dislike of tethered jailbreaks? I don't quite understand it.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Vintersorg posted:

What's with the dislike of tethered jailbreaks? I don't quite understand it.

It's annoying is all. If you're out and need to reboot your phone for x reason, you're hosed for a while.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

If I jailbreak my iPad and then want to go back to stock (ie. final iOS 5 version or something), can I backup/restore my non-jailbroken apps? If so, how does that work?

Also, does RetinaPad work on iOS 5 beta?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Vinlaen posted:

If I jailbreak my iPad and then want to go back to stock (ie. final iOS 5 version or something), can I backup/restore my non-jailbroken apps? If so, how does that work?
Same as if you hadn't jailbroken. Backup to itunes. Upgrade (or not.) Restore. If you're jailbroken you can use DataDepsit to backup and restore app-specific save data, but you don't have to do that if you're going to restore a backup from itunes.

Vinlaen posted:

Also, does RetinaPad work on iOS 5 beta?
I don't know but it's a beta so I wouldn't count on anything.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

So, um.

I loaded up Slice It! today for a quick game and it looks like it's somehow been changed to what looks like Korean? Everything else on the phone is normal, and I'm not even jailbroken.

Does anybody happen to know if there's a library file I can pull out of the phone with iPhone Explorer and edit to fix this? I'd rather not delete the app and lose my progress if I can help it :(

TACD fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 11, 2011

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

I guess since my phone is jailbroken, I'll ask this here. 3GS on 4.3.3 with AT&T. Don't remember which jailbreak I used though.

My iPhone is awful at push. Chat messages from several apps never show up unless I manually refresh the app itself. Text messages are late by 30-40 minutes in and area where I have 3-5 bars of 3G service. Facebook notifications are late by days, even find my iPhone won't actually be able to even make my phone play a noise unless I do something that requires using my apple ID like going into iTunes or the app store. And gps locating it? Doesn't happen unless I use the apple ID.

My phone isn't hacktivated or anything, I even tried setting it up as a new phone not long ago, and it still has these issues. I heard that sometimes hacktivating doesn't register your phone in apples push servers correctly, but as far as I know, thats not my problem.

So I guess the question is, is this type of stuff normal? Is there a way I can make my phone actually, you know, PUSH data so I can stop missing chats and texts by hours at a time? Or is this all pretty normal for 3GSes/AT&T and I just need to wait for the 4s/5?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
For what it's worth my wife's jail broken ATT 3GS has no push problems, nor does my ATT JB'd 4. You say you restored as new (un-JB'd) and still have the problem? I'd say that kind of rules out the JB as the problem.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

I restored as new when I did my second jailbreak. I went from 4.2.1 jailbroken and wiped it clean for the 4.3.3 jailbreak. I was just wondering if maybe it was worth restoring and re-jailbreaking to fix it.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Sorry, I can't figure out what you've tried and when. Did you have push problems after restoring as new but before jail breaking again or not?

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Sorry for the confusion. I've had push problems since I bought the phone, I just never actually thought it might be a problem until reading about people enjoying speedy push services. I wasn't originally jailbroken, and had the issues, jailbroke, still had issues, jailbroke again for 4.3.3 and a clean slate, now I'm wondering if it's AT&T, my phone, or something I did that has broken push so bad.

I never did just go stock for any time between my jailbreaks, so I guess that's worth a try. I have all my SHSHs so I guess I don't have anything to lose.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SaturdayKnight posted:

Sorry for the confusion. I've had push problems since I bought the phone, I just never actually thought it might be a problem until reading about people enjoying speedy push services. I wasn't originally jailbroken, and had the issues, jailbroke, still had issues, jailbroke again for 4.3.3 and a clean slate, now I'm wondering if it's AT&T, my phone, or something I did that has broken push so bad.

I never did just go stock for any time between my jailbreaks, so I guess that's worth a try. I have all my SHSHs so I guess I don't have anything to lose.
Thanks for clarifying; it seems like going stock for a few days is a low-risk good way to confirm if your phone / network has push problems even when not jailbroken. If so, you can maybe get a replacement phone. Though I've never heard of hardware issues causing push problems, I guess it's possible.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Not sure if this is JB related but I wanted to ask this here first before I go to the general iPhone forum:

Okay, so on Saturday I went into the app store on my iP4 and saw that there was an update for one of my apps. When I went to update the app, naturally my login screen appeared and asked my to enter my password as usual. After a few attempts of entering my correct password, the "too many unsuccessful login attempts" showed up so I went ahead and changed it to a new password. Again, no luck. However, I then looked at my apple ID and it was changed to an ID that wasn't mine. It was actually my neighbor's apple ID, but there is literally no way that he could have gone in to my phone over the past few days and logged me out and login himself in. He isn't JB'ed (I am on 4.3.3) and this was a really weird occurrence. So my question is, does anyone have any experience with this and how the hell could it have even happened in the first place?

Also, just noticed on Sunday that my CC was charged $1.00 on Saturday as well, however I haven't purchased any apps/songs in a long time. I emailed customer support for this and am awaiting a response.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.
Have you synced your phone on his computer or his on your recently.
OR has he logged into his iTunes on you computer or vice versa.

Me and my wife have a similar problem when we share a computer to sync phones on.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Ridonkulous posted:

Have you synced your phone on his computer or his on your recently.
OR has he logged into his iTunes on you computer or vice versa.

Me and my wife have a similar problem when we share a computer to sync phones on.

Come to think of it, I did plug my device into his laptop but iTunes was not open for it to sync (I did this because I had some videos I recorded of him in this ceremony last week and they were too large to email/MMS). Would that even be possible if iTunes was not even running? Also no he hasn't logged into iTunes on my machine logged into his iTunes, he's never even touched my phone or laptop.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

I just got a used 3rd generation 32GB ipod touch. It's up to date with the latest firmware version, which as far as I've surmised means I can't use the latest jailbreak methods. There's supposedly a hack called "redsnow" that can do it, but ever link to that I've found is 404. Is there anything I can do with this thing? iTunes is terrible and slow and I'd like to be able to add music and crap like it's a mass storage device.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Jailbreakmatrix.com is usually updated with JB options by device and OS, including links to the files and tools needed.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So if I used redsnow to jailbreak to 4.3.3 I can't unlock it as of now?

Welp, forecast says no so I guess not! Dang.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 14, 2011

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Out of curiosity, how long did it take for iPhone 4 to be jailbroken after release?

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
5 weeks or something, from memory. It was jailbroken before I got mine in August.

Fizzle
Dec 14, 2006
ZOMG, Where'd my old account go?!?
I'm failry sure I jailbroke mine on release day.. I actually think the Jailbreak was released a few days before retail release date.

edit: I was wrong, first week of August was when it was.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

How does one change or make custom icons for apps? I downloaded this Game Boy skin to go with the Game Boy sticker DBM sells. Most of the icons work for the standard stuff but the obvious ones like Facebook and Cydia aren't working. In the preview shots they are there and in the folder itself it shows the Facebook and Cycdia folders.

Any help? :)

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I have an old 2g that my kid has been using as an ipod, I don't have a sim for it. It got restored and updated through itunes and I need to jailbreak it again. I keep getting random errors using when trying to restore though itunes with the firmware created by snowbreeze. Is there a better way?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Why does your kid need a jailbroken iPod?

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

I installed a tethered jailbreak. Do I need to do that SSH stuff to access the file system when it's docked? I've got iPhoneBrowser installed, but it can't add/remove any files, just look at them.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Why does your kid need a jailbroken iPod?

Thanks for your question coldplay, it's a 2g iphone that he play games on, takes picture, listens to music, etc.

Edit. Redsnow seems to have jailbroken it.

Withnail fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 15, 2011

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Ah, christ. I installed "afc2add" off Cydia, as it's needed by iPhoneBrowser, and it restarted my ipod. Now it only boots into the apple logo. This is what happened before, the last time I had to reboot it since installing the tethered jailbreak, except this time I can't seem to reset it. Whenever I follow the instructions to get it into DFU mode, it just goes to Recovery Mode instead. I googled around and found "iRecovery", but it can't see my ipod. iTunes can however, and demands I restore it.

:/

edit: Ah, goddamn, what a relief. Found a program to force the ipod out of favoring recovery mode, and then redsn0w could get into it again. For anyone else with those symptoms:
http://code.google.com/p/iphonetunnel-usbmuxconnectbyport/
Plug the ipod in, activate recovery mode, then start a command prompt (type cmd in the start menu search). Browse through with the command prompt to the unzipped iphonetunnel app, and then type "itunnel_mux --autoboot" It'll say "waiting for a device in recovery" and the ipod will reboot into the apple logo, with no other sign anything happened. Go back into redsn0w and follow its directions for DFU and that'll work now (or at least it did for me).

Jetsetlemming fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 15, 2011

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Withnail posted:

Thanks for your question coldplay, it's a 2g iphone that he play games on, takes picture, listens to music, etc.

Edit. Redsnow seems to have jailbroken it.
It doesn't need to be jailbroken to do those things. ;)

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.
Looks like good news for an untethered ios5 jailbreak.

http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-ios-5-untethered-for-iphone-4-ipad-2-ipod-touch-actively-in-works/

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

It does if he wants to pirate those games!

Solly posted:

Looks like good news for an untethered ios5 jailbreak.

http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak-ios-5-untethered-for-iphone-4-ipad-2-ipod-touch-actively-in-works/

From what I can tell this doesn't really confirm anything exists that works, just that there are still people (now that Comex is working for Apple) who are still trying to jailbreak iPhones. Unfortunately, with how many things iOS 5 has 'borrowed' from jailbreak applications, I feel like there'll be significantly less demand for a jailbreak outside of SBSettings, Retinapad, and themes--which is guess is both a good and bad thing.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Next time I plug my iPhone in I'm going to go stock for the Hell of it. I'm really only interested in SBSettings (which I barely use nowadays) and Navigate To Maps. I don't even care about BiteSMS anymore.

Fizzle
Dec 14, 2006
ZOMG, Where'd my old account go?!?
If they were able to do something like BiteSMS (with activator) into the stock iOS, I'd ditch the Jailbreak..

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
This is going to be a bit of a strange question, but first a little backstory. I got my iPhone in the US via AT&T. I recently came back to my home country but without the SIM card. The phone was jailbroken and had a few songs on it and some of my programs. I was using more as a slightly chunkier iPod.

I'm sending the phone back to one of the UK's phone recycling centres, however I thought I'd wipe the phone before giving it in. I went about it a stupid way and decided to update the phone to the newest firmware so that I could then wipe the data and post it off.

However, turning on the phone shows the emergency dialpad and tells me to insert a valid SIM, which I no longer have.

My question is this: Is there any other way I can wipe the phone without inserting a sim or did I just boneheadedly lock myself out of my phone?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

From a full restore an iPhone won't let you use it until you've activated it by connecting it to iTunes. For this you'd need an AT&T SIM card, doesn't matter if it's active or not, it just needs to be legit AT&T. If he only has an iPhone 4 now then I could understand that he doesn't have access to a regular non-mini AT&T SIM card anymore and thus needs to jailbreak to get past activation.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

I don't have a sim for it and it won't activate without being jailbroken, so yes it does.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
It's no help if you just clicked 'Update' rather than 'Restore', but presuming its a 3GS or 4, a restore should have dropped the encryption key and 'wiped' the device anyway. Unless you're :tinfoil: about someone reading the NAND and bruteforcing your key, you should be okay.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
In a bit of an odd situation; I have an original iPhone that I want to use in my son's room as a ipod sitting in a speaker dock.

Problem is I do not have a SIM card to use to activate it in iTunes, as I've upgraded to a 3GS and then a 4 and no longer have a SIM that will work.

It is currently running 3.1.3 I believe, but none of the jailbreak tools (redsn0w, spirit) seem to work.

I just want to be able to jailbreak it to load it up with MP3 to play for him while putting him to sleep.

Any help would be great.

• Locked thread