Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'm watching Abraxas now and it's like watching Future War.

Except it's not as good.

Dear God...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

That actually sounds like an apt description. As bad as Future War is, it does succeed in coming off as a sci-fi movie and having action-related stuff happen.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

SO I decided to get back into Rifftrax. I have no real reason to stop watching them, just kind of forgot about it.

Do they still have the Rifftrax player or did they give up on that buggy thing?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just got done watching Abraxas and man, that was a pretty goofy goddamn film. Of course the strangest part was how they apparently decided to adapt Fourth World but the only thing they took from it was the idea of the Anti-Life Equation and a bastardization of Motherboxes.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

BigRed0427 posted:

SO I decided to get back into Rifftrax. I have no real reason to stop watching them, just kind of forgot about it.

Do they still have the Rifftrax player or did they give up on that buggy thing?

They have a new version of the Rifftrax Player. Haven't used it myself, since it doesn't support blu-ray yet, but you can get it here. It has a list of all movies it's currently supporting on the page.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Where's the changelog?

Buh
May 17, 2008
I never thought this would happen. I just used 'can't we get BEYOND the thunderdome?'. I was actually in a discussion that involved thunderdomes, but neither Mad Max or MST3K.

I absolutely love the Twilight, Harry Potter and Star Wars Rifftrax but haven't seen too many standalone films, especially not recent ones. What are the essentials from the last couple years?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Buh posted:

What are the essentials from the last couple years?

Battlefield Earth
Planet of Dinosaurs
Beowulf
Casablanca
Jaws
House on Haunted Hill
Star Trek (2009)
Willy Wonka

I also highly recommend The Day after tomorrow and Saw. They're Rifftrax Presents, but don't let the name fool you. It's Kevin and Bill riffing without Mike.

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY
The X-Files: Fight the Future riff with Mary Jo and Bill is an underrated classic - they have a great laconic chemistry together. Plus, you know, the womany perspective.

And from Mary Jo, too. :rimshot:

rereedrumr
Sep 11, 2006
We Are Re-Ree

Cubemario posted:

Where's the changelog?

It's a completely new version, built from the ground up. It doesn't have anything to do with the first, crappy player from several years ago.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

rereedrumr posted:

It's a completely new version, built from the ground up. It doesn't have anything to do with the first, crappy player from several years ago.

Oh, it's the same one that's been out for months now.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

Vicissitude posted:

I also highly recommend The Day after tomorrow and Saw. They're Rifftrax Presents, but don't let the name fool you. It's Kevin and Bill riffing without Mike.

The Alien riff is also really good. I wish that Bill and Kevin would do all the Alien movies. I'm not asking that they do Alien Vs. Predator, but at least Alien 2 and 3.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Shadley Puffin posted:

The X-Files: Fight the Future riff with Mary Jo and Bill is an underrated classic - they have a great laconic chemistry together. Plus, you know, the womany perspective.

And from Mary Jo, too. :rimshot:

Don't forget special "Not the Bees!" riff from Kevin. :3:

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
Also Santa Claus and the Icecream Bunny. That and Planet of Dinosaurs are the two I can never watch too many times.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vicissitude posted:

Don't forget special "Not the Bees!" riff from Kevin. :3:

The Case of Tommy Tucker short has a really good "Not the bees" joke because of the riff "Wicker Man: The Musical!"

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
Rifftrax related: Netflix just added a couple Gamera MST3K's to instant play this morning.

They are all previously unavailable on DVD, so its very possible a lot of you haven't seen them before!

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

The latest DVD set they released had all the Gamera episodes in it.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

RagingBoner posted:

Rifftrax related: Netflix just added a couple Gamera MST3K's to instant play this morning.

They are all previously unavailable on DVD, so its very possible a lot of you haven't seen them before!

I haven't seen a better version of these episodes outside of lovely tapes I traded for in the 90s and lousy rips online. Loving this.

Now bring on Time of the Apes.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

bobservo posted:

I haven't seen a better version of these episodes outside of lovely tapes I traded for in the 90s and lousy rips online. Loving this.

I just had to look this up, and I see these episodes are from season 3. I'm guessing those original UHF episodes are gone forever (not that they were the best, from the few web rips I could find)?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

RagingBoner posted:

Not in Canada though :sigh:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

IUG posted:

I just had to look this up, and I see these episodes are from season 3. I'm guessing those original UHF episodes are gone forever (not that they were the best, from the few web rips I could find)?

Yep. The first 3 KTMA episodes have never surfaced.

The 5 Gamera movies from the newest DVD set are all from season 3 of Comedy Central.

The KTMA eps will apparently never be on DVD. Not that I mind. The less Josh Weinstein, the better.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

IUG posted:

Well, there hasn't been an official DVD release of many episodes, and the recording technology available at the time means you're lucky to find something better than passable VHS quality. It's a real treat to see these episodes as they originally aired.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Yep. The first 3 KTMA episodes have never surfaced.

Supposedly, Jim Mallon has them. The story is that they are on 3/4" U-Matic tapes and he claims he's waiting to find a decent machine to play them on. The tapes are now 22 years old. I don't know how much longer he can wait.

Buh
May 17, 2008
There's no reason to suspect the tapes are unplayable. 22 years, unplayed in an archive, is nothing.

Much BBC material only exists as amazingly old, mistreated tapes in shoddy formats. Disintegrating tapes that you have to bake in a kiln to play back. Home recordings from the mid 60s (sometimes from dudes who engineered their own recording equipment). Stolen copies found after 40 years in someone's basement. These are things which have been released on DVD. Film is even crazier, they have recently restored a COLOUR film from 1902 which had literally rotted to pieces.

Finding a machine to transfer the tapes professionally won't be cheap, though. I can see how nobody would get around to it when they have copyright issues AND are considered the weakest episodes.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Buh posted:

There's no reason to suspect the tapes are unplayable. 22 years, unplayed in an archive, is nothing.

Much BBC material only exists as amazingly old, mistreated tapes in shoddy formats. Disintegrating tapes that you have to bake in a kiln to play back. Home recordings from the mid 60s (sometimes from dudes who engineered their own recording equipment). Stolen copies found after 40 years in someone's basement. These are things which have been released on DVD. Film is even crazier, they have recently restored a COLOUR film from 1902 which had literally rotted to pieces.

Finding a machine to transfer the tapes professionally won't be cheap, though. I can see how nobody would get around to it when they have copyright issues AND are considered the weakest episodes.

He didn't say they were unplayable, he just doesn't want to risk damaging them.

Actually, Mallon is just a dick.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The KTMA episodes suck rear end anyways. I've watched all that have been available and they are pretty terrible. Not even nostalgia saves them. Saying that, it would be nice to complete the collection.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Actually, Mallon is just a dick.

He certainly is, but I think it'd be kind of a bitch to get the rights to some of the movies they showed on KTMA now (MGM owns quite a few of them IIRC), and a boxset of those episodes would probably sell horribly.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The KTMA episodes are terrible and even completionists shouldn't bother.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

weekly font posted:

The KTMA episodes are terrible and even completionists shouldn't bother.

I agree. I tried sitting through some of them and I just couldn't. Tom's voice was just too different and unfunny.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

I used to poop all over Weinstein but he basically created Servo's persona and was just a teenager when he was on the show. These days, he really pulls his weight alongside the MST3K vets on Cinematic Titanic.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't have a problem with him but those early episodes are still not that great for other reasons. Mostly pacing as they hadn't exactly learned the right ratio of riffing to movie yet.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's because they didn't script the jokes, it was all on the fly and it shows.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

GreenNight posted:

That's because they didn't script the jokes, it was all on the fly and it shows.

And yet, J. Elvis says this was what made the show so great. I've seen all the available KTMA shows and they are extremely painful to watch. The first "official" season is light years ahead and it can be clunky at times.

SnipeBob
Dec 8, 2006

"You mechs may have copper wiring to reroute your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel."
The new short has been released: Setting up a Room

Can't wait to watch this one. Judging by the preview, it looks pretty strange :stare:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

And yet, J. Elvis says this was what made the show so great.

Great for him cause he was a lazy rear end that didn't want to learn a script or watch the movie a dozen times to write down jokes.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
There's a new short out today, called Setting Up a Room. It's about two women who set up a kindergarten classroom. It lasts 27 minutes.

http://www.rifftrax.com/shorts/setting-up-room

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

SnipeBob posted:

The new short has been released: Setting up a Room

Can't wait to watch this one. Judging by the preview, it looks pretty strange :stare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI0uJfpKUPM&feature=feedu
:stare:

I...I think I need to purchase this and show it to my fellow student teachers...

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
They will never forgive you... this is an unbelievable short. I really can't fathom how it ever made it past the earliest pre-production stage.

Rifftrax released a short of them reacting to it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI0uJfpKUPM

Twenty seven minutes.:shepicide:

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 10, 2011

Buh
May 17, 2008
No one will ever make good money out of the KMTA but I do hope they're digitised, just to placate that restless part of my brain that needs everything to exist somewhere (so that I can never, ever watch it).

Thanks for the earlier recommendations, now to shamelessly beg for more!

Rifftrax just sent me a $5 gift voucher - seems they do that if you don't get any for a year or something. This calls for shorts! I already know and love One Got Fat, Drugs Are Like That and the one with the kid whose soul had been smothered with ennui. Anything on that level recently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Buh posted:

Rifftrax just sent me a $5 gift voucher - seems they do that if you don't get any for a year or something. This calls for shorts! I already know and love One Got Fat, Drugs Are Like That and the one with the kid whose soul had been smothered with ennui. Anything on that level recently?

Both the At Your Fingertips shorts are all kinds of :psyboom:, and if you haven't seen them get the Calendar and More Dangerous than Dynamite shorts. Jesus.

edit: Ok, you have to get Setting Up A Room. Holy. gently caress. Completely worth it for Kevin slowly going further and further insane. Also, the idea of the horrifying alternative: Setting Up The Room.

edit 2: I swear to god, if they end up showing us this un-Riffed in class I will go on a murderous rampage. :toxx:

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 10, 2011

• Locked thread