Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Those have to be the most depressing gatherings in the world.

Hey man, everyone needs a support group.

xzzy posted:

In-N-Out is wayyyy better than Five Guys.

Never had In-N-Out. Five Guys is a nice change of pace from... McDonald's but its still over rated. Best burger I had was from some joint on the east side of Cleveland where the burgers were as big as your hand with outstretched fingers and you needed nothing but the bun on top of it.

edit: Hockey talk:
Hey I got a second hand helmet a while back and it is too loose. How do I make it tighter?

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Doctor Butts posted:

Hey man, everyone needs a support group.

Never had In-N-Out. Five Guys is a nice change of pace from... McDonald's but its still over rated. Best burger I had was from some joint on the east side of Cleveland where the burgers were as big as your hand with outstretched fingers and you needed nothing but the bun on top of it.

edit: Hockey talk:
Hey I got a second hand helmet a while back and it is too loose. How do I make it tighter?

depends on the helmet, most have a set of flaps or slides on either side of the helmet that you have to open before the helmet will move.

My reebok helmets require you to slide the things up and then the helmet will go bigger and smaller, on my old bauer 8500, I had to open the flaps like wings and then they moved.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I think this helmet pretty much just has styro inserts, but I'll double check. Maybe wearing a dew rag will be my only option.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Doctor Butts posted:

I think this helmet pretty much just has styro inserts, but I'll double check. Maybe wearing a dew rag will be my only option.

How do you carry extra weight? If you put some on, will your head get fatter? Maybe this is an option.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Some helmets have screws you have to loosen in order to be able to adjust the size. Most recent helmets should be adjustable

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
New beer league hockey season begins in a week. Nervous already. I hope my puck handling practice pays off.

Can't wait to play HOCKEY: Skate Around and Score Goal! Put the biscuit in the basket! Right where grandma keeps the peanut butter! If I fight a guy I'll give him the soup and the salad all day long!

Edit: I'm going coast to coast with howitzer shots all day. Gonna dangle the guy. My skating will make you think I was shot out of a cannon!

19 o'clock fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 8, 2011

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You forgot to knife the puck, seesh.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
My league is supposed to start in a week but knowing them they'll end up having to push it back some because they don't get their poo poo together.

Funny how going to a public skate reminds me how lovely I am at skating. I guess when I'm playing I'm distracted by how lovely at the hockey part I am and forget about the skating.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

xzzy posted:

You forgot to knife the puck, seesh.

Dammit.

Thufir posted:

Funny how going to a public skate reminds me how lovely I am at skating. I guess when I'm playing I'm distracted by how lovely at the hockey part I am and forget about the skating.

When I'm wearing full pads I feel more comfy skating like a mad man because I'm not afraid to fall. I've dropped to my knees before in public skate and sans-pads it is worth not trying too hard.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I whacked my knee pretty good back in the spring working on crossovers.. no pads, knee ended up being the first thing that landed, and it was sore for a month.

I don't work on skate skills without pads on anymore.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

lazerwolf posted:

Some helmets have screws you have to loosen in order to be able to adjust the size. Most recent helmets should be adjustable

son of a bitch. found where/how it adjusts.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

xzzy posted:

I whacked my knee pretty good back in the spring working on crossovers.. no pads, knee ended up being the first thing that landed, and it was sore for a month.

I don't work on skate skills without pads on anymore.

When I first started playing some pick up games outdoor with friends I just had gloves and skates, all it took was one puck to the leg for me to immediately buy shinguards. I'll never play without them even if we're just shooting around

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I got kicked in the face by a skate playing roller hockey on Tuesday (the guy tripped over our goalie and I was right behind him). My jaw still hurts.

I am glad it was roller hockey.

Also I am starting to seriously consider getting new skates. Has anyone here any experience with the MLX skates?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

lazerwolf posted:

When I first started playing some pick up games outdoor with friends I just had gloves and skates, all it took was one puck to the leg for me to immediately buy shinguards. I'll never play without them even if we're just shooting around

This is how I ended up with most of my gear when I first started playing in organized roller leagues. Started with the bare minimum of shinguards, helmet, and gloves. Picked up elbow pads a few weeks in and both elbows had been rubbed raw from contests along the boards. Got the hip pads when a teammate's hard clearing attempt off the boards deflected right into my thigh.

I generally wear gloves and shinguards when practicing. You people who practice without shinguards are crazy.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

bewbies posted:

I got kicked in the face by a skate playing roller hockey on Tuesday (the guy tripped over our goalie and I was right behind him). My jaw still hurts.

Also I am starting to seriously consider getting new skates. Has anyone here any experience with the MLX skates?

So close to being so bad.

gigabitnokie fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 8, 2011

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...

bewbies posted:

I have seen them and adjudged them to be aesthetically superior to the Fisher-Price looking poo poo everyone else is putting out these days. I've read some reviews that speak favorably of the comfort and construction. Other than that, no firsthand experience. They allow a lot of flexibility in terms of adjusting pitch and stuff like that, but I'd be concerned about how all those movable parts would hold up over a very humid few years.

If you do get them, be sure to report back on how you like them. I might consider a pair after a) my current ProTacks wear out, and b) the unopened pair of ProTacks I bought when they discontinued the line wears out.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

gigabitnokie posted:

Ahhhh gently caress, dude!

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

gigabitnokie posted:

perfect excuse to start growing a sweet hockey beard though (as if anyone really needs an excuse to grow a beard)

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

bewbies posted:

When a guy bails in front of me, even if I have the puck, I do everything in my power to make sure my skates don't touch him. If I can get around him, I will, but if not, I'll jump and land on my stomache, I don't care. It's beer league, I don't care if I'm giving up a scoring chance, I see no need to risk cutting a guy open when he's gotta work the next day.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

Thufir
May 19, 2004

poser posted:

I think those look pretty awesome and I would buy them if I were in the market for $650 skates and hadn't just got X5.0s

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Those skates will be great when they're on clearance for 249.99 next season

(which is how I feel about almost every high end skate ever)

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
I'm playing inline hockey at an indoor rink for the first time in my life on Sunday. I have played ice hockey since I was 4, and am reasonably comfortable skating, puckhandling, shooting, etc at the outdoor rink near me on inline skates. I've never even seen an inline practice or game.

What should I expect? If I am going to make it a weekly thing (practice/scrimmage with a bunch of friends of mine who do both roller & ice) I should buy some gear, right? What's absolutely imperative to have? Anyone have any tips on translation of ice skills to roller? :gonk:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Motherfucking small rinks. :argh:

Sign up for a learn to play league last week, couldn't get a straight answer for what time to show up, and their website hasn't been updated in two months.

"It starts at 10:30!"
"No I'm pretty sure it's 9:00."
"Maybe it's ten?"
"No, it's at 9:00."
"Yeah that's it, nine."

(actual conversation from last week)

So I show up tonight at 8:30, ready to go, and the girl at the desk gives me a :downs: look.

"Why are you here? Doesn't start until ten!"

:bang:

So now I'm sitting at an ice rink for an hour doing jack poo poo, ranting on the internet.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

xzzy posted:

Sign up for a learn to play league last week, couldn't get a straight answer for what time to show up, and their website hasn't been updated in two months.

"Maybe it's ten?"
"Yeah that's it, nine."

So I show up tonight at 8:30, ready to go, and the girl at the desk gives me a :downs: look.

So now I'm sitting at an ice rink for an hour doing jack poo poo, ranting on the internet.

Get used to it, that's how ice rinks operate.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
So your rink doesn't have the schedule posted online and current games updated in real time on the internet?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

poser posted:

So your rink doesn't have the schedule posted online and current games updated in real time on the internet?

They do.. for the summer sessions that ended last month!

I really didn't expect to be getting top notch information from the desk girls and I know rink websites universally suck rear end, but it was still pretty frustrating to show up an hour and a half early.

At least the practice was fun and they got great ice. No assholes, and a case of beer on ice in the locker room.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

sellouts posted:

Those skates will be great when they're on clearance for 249.99 next season

(which is how I feel about almost every high end skate ever)

This is the only way to buy skates. I've used top end models since my feet stopped growing, and I've never payed over 50% of MSRP. Unfortunately, the top end has doubled in price over the past 15 years.

And those Bauer's aren't bad looking. Hopefully that's a sign that the pendulum is swinging back towards the plain black skate.

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07

xzzy posted:

"Maybe it's ten?"
"Yeah that's it, nine."

This is why bars at rinks are brilliant. Get to the rink early and get your drink on before game time. Buzzed hockey is very, very fun.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Green Submarine posted:

This is the only way to buy skates. I've used top end models since my feet stopped growing, and I've never payed over 50% of MSRP. Unfortunately, the top end has doubled in price over the past 15 years.

This doesn't work if you have feet that aren't average shape and size. I spent most of January through April looking for something that fit my feet properly, and no one had anything in stock. They were unwilling to order anything because they were waiting for the new year's loot to come in.

Then once the new stock showed up.. 2 hours later I had a pair of skates that fit me perfectly.

I suppose ordering online is meant to solve this, but I have big issues buying something like skates without being able to try them on.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

xzzy posted:

This doesn't work if you have feet that aren't average shape and size. I spent most of January through April looking for something that fit my feet properly, and no one had anything in stock. They were unwilling to order anything because they were waiting for the new year's loot to come in.

Then once the new stock showed up.. 2 hours later I had a pair of skates that fit me perfectly.

I suppose ordering online is meant to solve this, but I have big issues buying something like skates without being able to try them on.

If you look online, the non-standard sizes are usually the easiest to find, and are offered at the steepest discounts. You're right that you should try some on before buying. Within a particular line, each manufacturer's skates are sized standardly to a high degree of precision, though, so once you know what works for you, this problem should evaporate. Try some from the same line on in a store, then buy them online.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Yeah, since I do have a standard foot size I pretty much can't find the real nice skates on clearance in my size.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Those MLX skates look bad rear end. My skates are 12 or more years old at this point and MLXs are the first pair that is making me consider replacing them.

Someone (bewbies) get these things and tell us how they are.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

dyn posted:

This is why bars at rinks are brilliant. Get to the rink early and get your drink on before game time. Buzzed hockey is very, very fun.

Rink bars were the best part of playing where I did in Florida. Go in for Saturday games, show up early and watch a little college football, play some hockey, then watch the HNIC game on satellite on their big screen. Have a little beer, have some fun. So good.

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07

Martytoof posted:

Rink bars were the best part of playing where I did in Florida. Go in for Saturday games, show up early and watch a little college football, play some hockey, then watch the HNIC game on satellite on their big screen. Have a little beer, have some fun. So good.

That honestly sounds like the best way to spend your saturday, especially in Florida. Jealous.

elemenohpee
Jun 18, 2005

dyn posted:

I'm not a huge fan of playing with any alcohol in the system but some teammates and myself play pretty blazed nearly every time. So much fun.

Any other stoner hockey goons out there?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Our last game of summer season our goalie went to the bar beforehand and seemed pretty loaded but played absolutely lights out...until he let in like 5 weak goals in the 2nd half of the 3rd.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors
Wooo, 5-1 win feels good after a disappointing 3-3 tie that we should have won but got robbed. Now if only Michigan can win tomorrow, goddamn battle of the baddies tomorrow night.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009

gigabitnokie posted:

poo poo. It always frightens me that pretty much all players in beer league (me included) skip out on wearing a neckguard. A skate to the neck = game over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ace, the IceAngeles league sounds pretty cool. Basically they don't have a draft skate and place you based on team needs each season and your previous experience.

If anyone is SoCal based and looking for an alternative to Toyota Sports Center this might be it