Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

KickStand posted:

One of the Black Rapid r-straps?

As I understand it they go down by your side, which I don't have room for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It took longer than I anticipated to get around to selling it, but my ONA Union Street is over in SA-Mart.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

KickStand posted:

Question for guys with strobes, what cases do you recommend for 2or 3 alien bees, and a vegabond mini? Extra rom for reflectors and possibly an umbrella or two would be nice but I can make due without. Ease of movement (wheels and a handle) is important.
Big ol' pelican case. Keeps things super safe and you don't have to worry about them at all that way. Get one with wheels and you could bungee cord extra stuff on top of it too.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

nonanone posted:

Big ol' pelican case.
If you don't have to lug poo poo too far on foot, this is always the best answer. Also they have a wheels+handle add-on IIRC.

Lediur
Jul 16, 2007
The alternative to anything is nothing.

evil_bunnY posted:

If you don't have to lug poo poo too far on foot, this is always the best answer. Also they have a wheels+handle add-on IIRC.

Are there any decent cheaper alternatives to Pelican cases? I have to lug my desktop and monitors on a plane soon as checked luggage and was thinking of getting something like a iM3075 or something similar. (desktop's dimensions are 25.31" x 8.35" x 19.80" so it needs to be at least that big)

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Colonel K posted:

As I understand it they go down by your side, which I don't have room for.

I think they have a stopper to prevent it from going further than you want. If its long enough you can just keep it on your leg with the strap attached. If you need to snap a pick you just pick the camera up and then drop it back down.

Can't picture a configuration that would be very convenient. Wouldn't it be more in the way to have a bigass camera hanging on your chest?

MAkev
Dec 15, 2003

Killed my sensei in a duel and I'll never say why.

KickStand posted:

One of the Black Rapid r-straps?

Are the R-Straps worth it? I've been looking for a new strap setup, the photographer at the last wedding I went to had one but I didn't get a chance to talk to her about it

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MAkev posted:

Are the R-Straps worth it? I've been looking for a new strap setup, the photographer at the last wedding I went to had one but I didn't get a chance to talk to her about it

Absolutely. I've had the RS-7 for a while and I've loved it.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
I used one for a while and it worked very well, but I find myself setting my camera down a lot to do things so I went back to the old strap

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

KickStand posted:

I used one for a while and it worked very well, but I find myself setting my camera down a lot to do things so I went back to the old strap

What were you doing that involved actually putting the camera down as opposed to letting it hang down by your side?

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
A lot of down time at wedding receptions when people are eating and such, not to mention I typically don't wear the strap anyways I just double it over and put my hand through it to hold on to the camera. Personal preference I suppose, just worked out easier to use the stock strap.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Is there anything like an RS-7 that lets me keep my tripod plate attached to my camera?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

atomicthumbs posted:

Is there anything like an RS-7 that lets me keep my tripod plate attached to my camera?

I use an RS-4(? Or 5 I can't remember) but I threaded a keychain ring through one of my strap holders and clip it there. Works pretty well, though it does get in the way sometimes, but not too much and not often enough for me to go back to the tripod mount.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I found a knockoff here in Taiwan called the Fastshoot 7. I wouldn't really trust a knockoff to hold my camera in that position, but has anyone here seen/used it?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Kazy posted:

I use an RS-4(? Or 5 I can't remember) but I threaded a keychain ring through one of my strap holders and clip it there. Works pretty well, though it does get in the way sometimes, but not too much and not often enough for me to go back to the tripod mount.

Unfortunately for me my camera uses little strap pivot rivets instead of ordinary rings because Mamiya just has to be different :(

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

atomicthumbs posted:

Unfortunately for me my camera uses little strap pivot rivets instead of ordinary rings because Mamiya just has to be different :(

Post a picture of the pivot I am sure we can figure something out, some people use paracord.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

atomicthumbs posted:

What kind of plate do you use?

Most L-Brackets can attach the strap directly to them. If you use the Manfrotto RC-2 system, you can replace the D-rings with the much better blackrapid D-rings and use those plates instead of the fasteners.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Carry-Speed-Mounting-Tripod/dp/B004G8CBFY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1315533374&sr=8-3

You can use it with blackrapid stuff or with carry speed stuff. It's pretty good.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

Get a plate with a D ring?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
What's everyone's setup for a weekend trip? Any decent all-in-one's, or do you carry cameras and clothing/etc separately? I used to have a Tamrac Adventure 9 (had to leave it when I moved) that worked well for weekends, but it sucked for getting through crowds, and my equipment setup has changed a lot since then.

I've currently got a Slingshot 200 that works really well for the NEX kit + a Hasselblad (or can cram a 4x5 setup in, sans tripod), but it doesn't have enough room to fit extras like clothes, and the top compartment is even too small for a lot of books. I'm also leaning towards moving away from it, because while I like the ergonomics of accessing my gear, it kinda fucks up my back if I've got it fully loaded and am walking around with it for hours, and I can't really change it to the other shoulder.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

What's everyone's setup for a weekend trip? Any decent all-in-one's, or do you carry cameras and clothing/etc separately? I used to have a Tamrac Adventure 9 (had to leave it when I moved) that worked well for weekends, but it sucked for getting through crowds, and my equipment setup has changed a lot since then.

I've currently got a Slingshot 200 that works really well for the NEX kit + a Hasselblad (or can cram a 4x5 setup in, sans tripod), but it doesn't have enough room to fit extras like clothes, and the top compartment is even too small for a lot of books. I'm also leaning towards moving away from it, because while I like the ergonomics of accessing my gear, it kinda fucks up my back if I've got it fully loaded and am walking around with it for hours, and I can't really change it to the other shoulder.

I like to keep my camera gear separate from my clothing and other stuff when I travel. Most times when I travel I'm only taking a body, 14-54mm lens, and either a prime or a telephoto, and all of that gets into a fairly small bag. This way I can keep my clothes and stuff in another bag either in my car, hotel, or wherever I'm travelling and not have to deal with a huge bag when I'm out shooting.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Pompous Rhombus posted:

What's everyone's setup for a weekend trip?

I do a lot of weekend trips with carry-on luggage only. TT Retrospective 10 with the camera(s) goes under the seat in front on planes, REI Traverse 30 backpack with all of my clothes (and sometimes my tripod) fits in the overhead even on regional jets.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I have no carrying solution for my camera whatsoever; I've been using a small backpack and wrapping it in a hoodie whenever I took it out, which I don't think it's the safest or most practical solution. I don't have a whole lot yet, just a Rebel T2i with the stock lens (18-55), and an 50mm lens. I'm going to be getting a speedlite flash in a bit, though. I'd rather it be a messenger or sling type if possible. Any recommendations?

A friend of mine is travelling to the states in a month and I wanted to get something while he's there. I was taking a look at the Timbuk2 camera messenger since I've heard good things about the brand. Has anyone had the opportunity to test these yet?

One thing I just noticed though, is that it looks like the inserts don't fit a camera with the lens on, and I think I'd rather have something a bit more "quick access" and not having to mess around with the lens and the body every time I want to take it out.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

D90, 30/1.4, sometimes a 85/1.8, in a Small Twoten Daily Crumpler.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

evil_bunnY posted:

D90, 30/1.4, sometimes a 85/1.8, in a Small Twoten Daily Crumpler.

Similar to me. 5dii, 85 1.8, 24mm 1.8. Sometimes I'll just take the 24-105 f/4L, but mostly those two.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Just got the amazon basics bag:
http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Backpack-Cameras-Accessories-Black/dp/B002VPE1WK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316655068&sr=8-1

It holds all my gear when I need to take it all. That's usually 3 flashes, 30/1.4, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, 50D, Elan, batteries, speed straps, CTOs, etc.

Otherwise, I put my camera and lenses in this:
http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Exchange-Messenger-Camera-Gray/dp/B002PK14VC/ref=sr_1_27?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1316655182&sr=1-27

It was 18 bucks when I bought it. I was using a second bag for all my grip and flashes. I'm pumped to have one decent bag for all of it.

Elite Taco fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 22, 2011

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Anyone here use a Maxpedition Versipack or Gearslinger for carrying camera stuff? I'm thinking of buying one to carry my Mamiya 645 and associated equipment (and maybe my Spotmatic too) while hiking.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

atomicthumbs posted:

Anyone here use a Maxpedition Versipack or Gearslinger for carrying camera stuff? I'm thinking of buying one to carry my Mamiya 645 and associated equipment (and maybe my Spotmatic too) while hiking.

I used a Maxpedition Jumbo Type-S (left side) as a camera bag for a long time. It fit a T2i with a 24-70 and the nifty fifty and I had the 55-250 in the water bottle pouch and an iPad in the gun slit plus batteries and accoutrements in the other pouches. I was impressed with it, I just decided that I didn't want a DSLR for an everyday camera.

Right now I use it as a dedicated lens bag. It works great to lug around a 70-200 f/2.8 and a 100mm f/2.8 macro because the way it sits low on your hip is comfortable and it is rugged and padded.

I only have a nebulous idea of how big a 645 is but I think it will fit.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
(I originally posted this in the wrong thread, so I deleted that comment to put here)

Crossposting from "What did you just buy?" megathread, based on a recommendation/purchase from another goon I picked up this bag from ONA, called the Union Street.

I have been wanting a messenger-style camera bag for awhile now, and it's large enough to hold basically everything I need plus my iPad (or a laptop if I had one).

It's made of waxed canvas and leather. Good construction - it's a quality bag that will last a long time. I bought the tan version and so far I'm very happy with it.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Drewski posted:

(I originally posted this in the wrong thread, so I deleted that comment to put here)

Crossposting from "What did you just buy?" megathread, based on a recommendation/purchase from another goon I picked up this bag from ONA, called the Union Street.

I have been wanting a messenger-style camera bag for awhile now, and it's large enough to hold basically everything I need plus my iPad (or a laptop if I had one).

It's made of waxed canvas and leather. Good construction - it's a quality bag that will last a long time. I bought the tan version and so far I'm very happy with it.

What camera are you using? Is it gripped? What case do you have on your iPad? Post some better pictures please, this is the bag I have been looking for haha.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I'm going to put in a plug for my Thinktank sling-o-matic 10, because it's awesome. I picked it up a bit ago as a gig bag, and it's the perfect size for a body+lens, extra lens, flash+modifier, odds and ends. It looks very nice and professional, as are all thinktank bags, and I like that it's a sling bag that can switch shoulders. It also slings down sideways for ease of access. If you don't know already, Thinktank makes very solid bags that are well worth their price.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Sevn posted:

What camera are you using? Is it gripped? What case do you have on your iPad? Post some better pictures please, this is the bag I have been looking for haha.

Honestly you'll find the best pictures at the website. http://www.onabags.com/store/men/the-union-street.html

The laptop slot is designed more for something much bigger than the iPad, so no matter what iPad case you have, it will definitely fit. The whole bag is slightly larger than I expected it to be, and that's fine. What the photos DON'T show are the flaps on the top. Small enough to not get in the way, but big enough to protect from stuff getting in.

My camera isn't gripped, but even if it was you could fit it in because the dividers are velcroed to the interior, so you can move them around as you desire. I can fit my XTi with a 70-200 attached, and it just barely reaches past the top of the bag. I can still close the top and buckle the strap no problem.

If you really want this bag, you may want to look around on the internet for a coupon. I was able to get 10% off, which was pretty significant considering the bag is $279.

I would've bought the one Star War Sex Parrot had for sale in SA Mart but I just didn't find it in time.

Drewski fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 28, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just hacked together a DIY R-Strap. Everything was pretty simple to come up with, the only pain in the rear end was drilling out the plastic "d-ring" on my lovely tripod connector plate to replace it with a proper metal split ring.

I complain about the price of the R-Strap, but honestly after using my little DIY one for a few minutes I have a newfound appreciation for a simple strap that has some pockets for memcards/pens/etc. I think I might buy one when I have a little cash to spare.

Until then this cheap project will more than suffice.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

For people who don't want to pay quite as much for the R-strap, there's this C-loop thing now, where you can attach a regular camera strap to a little rotating metal thing: http://www.customslr.com/products/c-loop/?utm_source=PetaPixel&utm_medium=125banner&utm_campaign=CLoop

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's pretty neat, but I'm not sure what moving the camera strap mount from the shoulders to the tripod mount really accomplishes. It's all the inconvenience of a camera strap plus now your camera is hanging upside down.

I guess looking through the video it's a little less inconvenient than a simple strap so I'll give it that. It's like an r-strap except the camera doesn't slide on the strap, it's just connected to it. For $40 I'd almost just shell out the extra cash for an R-Strap or other imitation though.

MAkev
Dec 15, 2003

Killed my sensei in a duel and I'll never say why.
I picked up an RS-7 last week, I really like it. I never really cared for having the camera front and center like a normal strap makes it, the R-Strap keeps it nice and out of the way while I'm just walking around. Definitely recommended.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I have an RS-7 as well and it's fantastic for sports shooting.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

nonanone posted:

For people who don't want to pay quite as much for the R-strap, there's this C-loop thing now, where you can attach a regular camera strap to a little rotating metal thing: http://www.customslr.com/products/c-loop/?utm_source=PetaPixel&utm_medium=125banner&utm_campaign=CLoop
It's 40 bucks, why not just get a tripod plate with a D ring?

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Drewski posted:

Honestly you'll find the best pictures at the website. http://www.onabags.com/store/men/the-union-street.html

The laptop slot is designed more for something much bigger than the iPad, so no matter what iPad case you have, it will definitely fit. The whole bag is slightly larger than I expected it to be, and that's fine. What the photos DON'T show are the flaps on the top. Small enough to not get in the way, but big enough to protect from stuff getting in.

My camera isn't gripped, but even if it was you could fit it in because the dividers are velcroed to the interior, so you can move them around as you desire. I can fit my XTi with a 70-200 attached, and it just barely reaches past the top of the bag. I can still close the top and buckle the strap no problem.

If you really want this bag, you may want to look around on the internet for a coupon. I was able to get 10% off, which was pretty significant considering the bag is $279.

I would've bought the one Star War Sex Parrot had for sale in SA Mart but I just didn't find it in time.

I actually looked at those pictures, that is why I had all the questions haha. That looks like a D90 in the bag on their website, and my D7000 is a little bigger than a D90, so I think it would be a bit tight in there with a grip on it. Definitely looks like the bag I have been searching for though, and I am never big about carrying a ton of lenses, just 1-2 extra primes, plus my ipad and a notebook (the paper kind). Does it only have 1 extra pocket on the front, like it shows in the picture, or is that actually a pocket on the back and they just don't show inside it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Sevn posted:

I actually looked at those pictures, that is why I had all the questions haha. That looks like a D90 in the bag on their website, and my D7000 is a little bigger than a D90, so I think it would be a bit tight in there with a grip on it. Definitely looks like the bag I have been searching for though, and I am never big about carrying a ton of lenses, just 1-2 extra primes, plus my ipad and a notebook (the paper kind). Does it only have 1 extra pocket on the front, like it shows in the picture, or is that actually a pocket on the back and they just don't show inside it?

I'll take pictures for you when I get home from work 7-8 hours from now.

• Locked thread