Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klimpy Borf
Oct 22, 2010

2ndclasscitizen posted:

What are those handguards? I've been trying to find guards that will work with bar ends for ages with no success.

The handguards are Acerbis guards, not sure on the model.

DILLIGAF posted:

That headlight setup.... I just ordered the same one for stupid cheap. How do you like it? I was thinking I might have to replace the actual lights for something brighter, but since you have it, some real-world experience would be nice.

So far it's been fine for night riding, the light is bright enough that I can ride the Santa Cruz mountains and be fine. Pretty decent range of sight on them. They could definitely be brighter, and depending on how/what you ride at night, you may find it necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

DrCornelius posted:

Rallye Pros. I fitted a set to my DRZs and a set to my friend's Aprilia Dorsoduro.

Cabrini-Green Tea
Aug 20, 2009

wheel in the sky keeps on turnin'
I passed the MSF last week and now I can finally post in this thread!
Just picked her up today: 1981 Suzuki GS1000G with 46k miles. :D

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
That thing's gonna be a handful if it's your first bike.

edit: I'm dumb

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 3, 2011

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

AncientTV posted:

That thing's gonna be a handful if it's your first bike.

It has power to weight ratio about 9% higher than an SV-650. A little much for a first bike, but still about 1/2 the power to weight of a 600SS.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
I neglected to check the weight of it :blush:
How much heavier are shaft drives compared to chain?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
So after years of looking around, I finally found a fixer upper Ducati cheap enough that I could buy it, and it has opened up a whole new world of riding like a total dong to me! I love it!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DrCornelius posted:

Could you take a pic of how they're mounted up with the bar ends?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

So after years of looking around, I finally found a fixer upper Ducati cheap enough that I could buy it, and it has opened up a whole new world of riding like a total dong to me! I love it!

Is that an ST4? It would actually look good as a naked/ tall handlebar conversion, apart from the radiator - but that has to be easily replaceable with something else, right?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Ola posted:

Is that an ST4? It would actually look good as a naked/ tall handlebar conversion, apart from the radiator - but that has to be easily replaceable with something else, right?

ST2, and I do have all the bodywork with it, it's just scratched to hell. I think I'll probably have it repainted and try to bring it back to stock.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Oh right, I thought ST2s were air cooled. Now I remember that's a popular misconception. I've test ridden one, loved the engine, did not love the ergonomics. But then my joints are basically incompatible with any sporty layout.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

LarryCsonka posted:

My first bike, just got it today. Its a 1989 Honda Hawk GT, NT650. Absolutely amazing condition, with 15,000 miles. Now to go spend a ton of money on gear...

I really like these. Remind me of my SRX 600 styling wise, and similarly they have aged extremely gracefully; look much more modern than they are!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Luigi_Cyclone posted:

I passed the MSF last week and now I can finally post in this thread!
Just picked her up today: 1981 Suzuki GS1000G with 46k miles. :D

Sup 'Macho Maroon' Yamaha buddy. I have an 78' XS1100 that looks as clean as yours but doesn't run yet :)

WAIL
Jan 31, 2007

I Dunno
My first bike. Just picked it up today.
1992 Suzuki GS500E with 22k miles. I didn't think I'd like the color but it's growing on me. :gay:

dumb silly baby
Apr 10, 2001

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

bring it back to stock.

Be a man and rat it.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

WAIL posted:

My first bike. Just picked it up today.
1992 Suzuki GS500E with 22k miles. I didn't think I'd like the color but it's growing on me. :gay:

God drat that thing is boss.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Cross-post pic from the ST thread, but just picked this up on Saturday.

Had a whopping 1400KMs on the clock. Now it has 2600K because of the ride back. :D

Klimpy Borf
Oct 22, 2010

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Could you take a pic of how they're mounted up with the bar ends?

Here you are

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

slidebite posted:

Cross-post pic from the ST thread, but just picked this up on Saturday.

Had a whopping 1400KMs on the clock. Now it has 2600K because of the ride back. :D

Slidebite how are you liking it after the ride back? I want to pick up a ST bike this fall but I keep switching between the connie and fjr. I've put a few hundred miles on the fjr and like it but have only gotten 10-15 miles on a connie so far.

Severe Weeknight
Jun 1, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Here we go! After passing my safety course and finding my bike, I've finally taken possession, insured, and plated my ride.

Went out for my first spin today. I'm sorry I didn't do this years ago!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Tindjin posted:

Slidebite how are you liking it after the ride back? I want to pick up a ST bike this fall but I keep switching between the connie and fjr. I've put a few hundred miles on the fjr and like it but have only gotten 10-15 miles on a connie so far.

I really like the bike, but the factory seat is terrible IMHO. Don't know if it's my size or shape, but it became painful after a couple hours. It has kind of a weird angle to it too, seems to pitch you more forward towards the tank than I am used to. I found myself stopping every hour for a stretch.

A corbin or something will be in my future for sure. However, other than that so far so good. :cool:

elsanto
Apr 6, 2004

Severe Weeknight posted:

Here we go! After passing my safety course and finding my bike, I've finally taken possession, insured, and plated my ride.

Went out for my first spin today. I'm sorry I didn't do this years ago!

Nice. Wish I could have found a Ninja EX in a paint scheme like this when I was starting out.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
This time last week I was rolling home into Long Beach after putting some 1400 miles on the KLR. Here's an arty shot taken somewhere south of Hearst Castle.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Holy poo poo you still ride motorcycles? And you passed through my hood and didn't even say hi? For shame! ;)

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Z3n posted:

Holy poo poo you still ride motorcycles? And you passed through my hood and didn't even say hi? For shame! ;)

No, you clearly are mistaken. That is obviously a picture of his riding tractor.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Pvt. Public posted:

No, you clearly are mistaken. That is obviously a picture of his riding tractor.

Looks like a John Deere imo.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I passed my MSF a few weeks ago, and picked up my first bike this past weekend.

Against the very good advice of Saga (Sorry!), I bought a 1984 Nighthawk CB650. 19k miles. For $900. It was the exact style I was looking for, and you can't beat the price with a stick. It runs like new, and aside from a tear in the seat is pretty drat good cosmetically.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Zubumafoo posted:

Against the very good advice of Saga (Sorry!), I bought a 1984 Nighthawk CB650. 19k miles. For $900. It was the exact style I was looking for, and you can't beat the price with a stick. It runs like new, and aside from a tear in the seat is pretty drat good cosmetically.

Cafe.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Zubumafoo posted:

Looks super clean!

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

invision posted:

Cafe.

Oh for fucks sake, no.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Zubumafoo posted:

That thing looks gorgeous. Congrats.

Berserkerduck
Sep 5, 2011

by T. Finn

Zubumafoo posted:

Congrats. Seat cover should be around $40. Try here http://www.shop.excelcustomforming.com

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Zubumafoo posted:

Who said anything bad about a Nighthawk CB650? They are awesome! One of my friends has one and he never shuts up about it.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Crayvex posted:

Who said anything bad about a Nighthawk CB650? They are awesome! One of my friends has one and he never shuts up about it.

Heh, he was just hesitant about recommending a 27 year old bike as a first bike. But it appears to be maintained well, and parts availability doesn't appear to be TOO bad. And I figured for the price I just couldn't beat it.

Took it out for it's first real ride today, probably 4 hours or so, with some Seafoam in the tank to clean up the carbs a bit. The bike runs beautifully, I think I'm in love.

Though, I did take it on the highway for a little bit. I must say, naked bikes on the highway sure are...interesting.

Oh also, anyone have any resources on getting new/better foam for the seat? I figure if I'm gonna replace the cover I could maybe replace the foam with something that doesn't kill my rear end after being on it for 4 hours.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Zubumafoo posted:

Heh, he was just hesitant about recommending a 27 year old bike as a first bike. But it appears to be maintained well, and parts availability doesn't appear to be TOO bad. And I figured for the price I just couldn't beat it.

Took it out for it's first real ride today, probably 4 hours or so, with some Seafoam in the tank to clean up the carbs a bit. The bike runs beautifully, I think I'm in love.

Though, I did take it on the highway for a little bit. I must say, naked bikes on the highway sure are...interesting.

Oh also, anyone have any resources on getting new/better foam for the seat? I figure if I'm gonna replace the cover I could maybe replace the foam with something that doesn't kill my rear end after being on it for 4 hours.

As far as the highway riding what was the issue? I regularly take a 1979 Honda CB750K up to 90 MPH without any issue. What kind of gear are you wearing?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Crayvex posted:

As far as the highway riding what was the issue? I regularly take a 1979 Honda CB750K up to 90 MPH without any issue. What kind of gear are you wearing?

It could very well be just my inexperience, as today was pretty much the first time I have ever rode a motorcycle. It just felt like I was hanging onto the handlebars for dear life, or I would be blown off the back off the bike. This was around 70 mph. I was wearing full gear, full face helmet, mesh jacket. It seemed to get a little better as I got used to it a bit more, and leaning forward a bit seemed to help. Any suggestions are welcome.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Learn to lean into it as speed comes up. On a naked your upright unshielded torso acts like a big air brake, leaning forward even a little reduces that effect considerably. Also make sure you're gripping with your legs, keep your arms bent and loose as possible, the bike will get squirrelly if your arms are taut and pulling on the bars.

You will get used to it quickly, but if you feel you're struggling just stick to the right lane and go the speed limit, there's no shame. You'll find crosswinds and truck slipstreams to be bigger challenges.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
If you've got the stock big bars that lots of standards came w/ back in the 70s you're going to be sitting too upright for comfort in the wind. Don't go all tight jeans and get some stupid cafe bars. Just get something that has a motocross bend or something near that and you should be in a better position for riding at higher speeds.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Zubumafoo posted:

It could very well be just my inexperience, as today was pretty much the first time I have ever rode a motorcycle. It just felt like I was hanging onto the handlebars for dear life, or I would be blown off the back off the bike. This was around 70 mph. I was wearing full gear, full face helmet, mesh jacket. It seemed to get a little better as I got used to it a bit more, and leaning forward a bit seemed to help. Any suggestions are welcome.

Perfectly normal your first time riding without a huge windbreak. Just dig in more or ride slower and you'll be fine! Recommend dig in more and keep your pace :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Zubumafoo posted:

Leaning in to the wind helps a lot, and you should use your legs to dig in to the tank to hold on. Avoid holding on to the handlebars too tight, keep your elbows loose. If you're holding on to the bars and your muscles are too tight, any motion or compromise of angle in your elbows can steer the bike without you intending to.