Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Those of you linking your Backloggery sigs, is there a way to set them to just show Steam titles or are you just editing them to show only stuff you're playing through Steam? I... I admit there's games on mine that aren't from Steam. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

iastudent posted:

Those of you linking your Backloggery sigs, is there a way to set them to just show Steam titles or are you just editing them to show only stuff you're playing through Steam? I... I admit there's games on mine that aren't from Steam. :ohdear:
There are over 50 category now for every system and console you can imagine., the ones in the lined display are the ones you last updated (not stealth update)

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Chief Savage Man posted:

Beat Honest Hearts last night. It wasn't bad but I really enjoyed the open environment. It was a nice change of pace from the no-guns creepy slog of Dead Money. That said, I never actually cared about the story or anybody in it. In DM at least I cared about and wanted to help Christine. OWB is next after I finish a couple mods. Everybody says it's the best so I'm looking forward to it.

I'll be moving on to Vegas next-ish. I likewise just played through Fallout 3's Mothership Zeta and The Pitt. Zeta was definitely a ton of fun and the weapons and equipment you get from it are pretty much a cheat code for the rest of the game. Not that I mind since I've already beaten it multiple times before but now I get to do so with a giant fuckoff alien weapon that shoots bouncing, exploding orbs.

:hellyeah:

The Pitt was interesting too but a little flawed. I didn't have any bug problems with it though I've heard that it was unplayable at launch but rather with the whole flow of the expansion. Bethesda created a really interesting alternate world in Pittsburgh and populated it with characters and fantastic looking environments. But then for some reason forgot to give you a reason to actually play in it. There's the main quest which isn't that long and...that's about it. I got my auto ax which is sweet but it feels like there should have been side-missions or some reason for you to spend more time exploring and talking to people in there. Kind of a missed opportunity.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Zedd posted:

There are over 50 category now for every system and console you can imagine., the ones in the lined display are the ones you last updated (not stealth update)

I never realized there was a separate Steam category.

Welp, time to get back to work.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Okay, I just made one of these. Steam sales bled me dry; now it's time to get some work done on 'em. I'm bad about installing a bunch of games and never playing any of them, so I'm going to try to fix that.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
You will never, ever complete Everyday Genius. Just warning you.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Does the signature thing only show the last three Now Playing-ed games added? Do updates do nothing to change it?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Colon V posted:

Does the signature thing only show the last three Now Playing-ed games added? Do updates do nothing to change it?

Latest update changes it, but only if you beat it, complete, master, null etc or have it as "now playing"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Zedd posted:

Latest update changes it, but only if you beat it, complete, master, null etc or have it as "now playing"
Because I recently updated PoP:SoT to Beaten, but it's still showing all my old now-playings.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Odd.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'
My signature hasn't updated in a while for whatever reason. :(

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Colon V posted:

Because I recently updated PoP:SoT to Beaten, but it's still showing all my old now-playings.

Seems like it updated now.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

jvempire posted:

Seems like it updated now.
Huh, so it is. Maybe the tubes just got clogged.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
What it shows on the signature is the last three Now Playing games you changed the Progress Note of.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I have 20/24 achievements, don't tell me what I can't do!

I think I read on the Steam forum for that game that no one in the world has actually finished every puzzle. The people with scores high enough to have done so actually just play easier ones more than once.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

elf help book posted:

I have 20/24 achievements, don't tell me what I can't do!

I think I read on the Steam forum for that game that no one in the world has actually finished every puzzle. The people with scores high enough to have done so actually just play easier ones more than once.

I have 23/24, I'll tell you what to do all I want. :colbert:

I can't imagine all the mind crushing tedium it'd take to do every single < > only puzzle.

RomaVictor
Jan 14, 2008
Above all things, truth beareth away the victory.
So I had to do some computer maintenance and lost all my Steam saves. Has anyone here played Capsized? I really wanna finish the game but I have no interest in repeating the last ten levels.

Anyone have a save game folder they could upload to me?

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I know. That game has been staring at me from the "Installed" list for so, so long...

:negative:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I'm trying to play Fallout 3... again. I'm sticking to the main storyline this time, and that's helped a lot. The biggest problem I've had in this game previously is wandering around aimlessly and then getting bored, and it doesn't help that most of the sidequests and generic NPCs are pretty dull (and voiced by the same handful of voice actors). The exploration aspect is fun to a point, but without a specific goal I get burned out too quickly. Also I have to discipline myself not to try to carry every single slightly valuable thing I come across.

Yodzilla posted:

I agree that Cryostasis was at its best towards the beginning of the game when it wasn't so combat centric but some of the later levels like Fear with all of the inmates breaking free and the movie theater were fantastic. Also the original game was probably a lot tougher since they apparently added the water cannon post-release as part of some PhysX promotion and that thing is an insta-stunklock kill even against the blue-goggled dual-PPSH watchers. Plus it was nice that they put heat sources pretty much everywhere in the game you were going to need to recharge or be topped-off before a fight.
I love how this thread has become a place to talk about all these great old games that everyone else has forgotten about. I'm always way behind on games, I buy them years after everyone else has moved on already.

I loved Cryostasis, it is a rough gem though. The story is murky in places but told excellently, and I really liked the way they used cold as an enemy, forcing you to seek out heat sources.

I didn't even mind the shooting that much, although I thought it was the weakest part of the game. The thing you have to get used to is training yourself out of a more standard FPS mindset. You have to really take care and aim, because most of your best weapons will kill in one or two shots, but are bolt action or otherwise slow to fire with a lot of downtime between shots.

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

water cannon

Yeaaaaah, about that, I didn't actually know that was such a good weapon until after I finished, so I never used it. :suicide: So I was indeed thoroughly sick of shooting by the end of it! Not that it was hard, exactly, it just got tedious. Was still worth it for the atmosphere, though.

But anyway! I'm already getting bored of DarkStar One (I shot enough pirates that they got really mad at me and now greet me in every system I jump to, which gets annoying). So I may just try to power through the story to get it done.

I think I'm craving some sort of sandbox game.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I'm trying to play Fallout 3... again. I'm sticking to the main storyline this time, and that's helped a lot. The biggest problem I've had in this game previously is wandering around aimlessly and then getting bored, and it doesn't help that most of the sidequests and generic NPCs are pretty dull (and voiced by the same handful of voice actors). The exploration aspect is fun to a point, but without a specific goal I get burned out too quickly. Also I have to discipline myself not to try to carry every single slightly valuable thing I come across.
I love how this thread has become a place to talk about all these great old games that everyone else has forgotten about. I'm always way behind on games, I buy them years after everyone else has moved on already.
Yeah stick with the main story, because you don't really need to do all the side quests anyways. And if you're playing the vanilla game there will be a point where challenge disappears and everything dies in your path (and it can happen pretty quickly too).

Also here's the Fallout 3 mod thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3186281 (If you are already playing with mods/want to play with mods, I recommend not over doing it.)

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
I bought Lego Batman when Steam had it on sale a week or two ago, and man, what a waste of money. I was planning on trying to power through it over the next few days, but wow... I played Lego Star Wars on Game Cube and loved it (though got a bit tired of it towards the end), but this game is just horrible for many different reasons, especially the boss fights.

The first one against Clayface was just lame, you have a transforming super villain... and he doesn't transform! Then the Mr. Freeze one is bullshit, I could not get past it. He gets up right next to you and spams his freeze gun, so at all times you're either dead or frozen. When I managed to get away from him, I couldn't figure out what I was even supposed to be doing. Attacking Freeze wasn't doing anything, and I couldn't puzzle out anything else while the stupid thing kept rushing right at me and freezing me constantly.

Not to mention the PC version just plain sucks. It takes several minutes to load up, and I had to buy a controller because the keyboard controls suck (the controller isn't a whole lot better, to be honest). So I'm setting the piece of poo poo to Null to get it out of my list, uninstalling it, and moving on to something else.

Edit: I uninstalled Just Cause due to mission after mission of being mowed down by over-powered helicopters, and downloaded/installed Just Cause 2 just to try it out. Holy poo poo, you guys were right, I only played for 20 or so minutes and already I can tell the gameplay is so much better. First off, adjustable difficulty settings and non-checkpoint saves? Thank God! I have no idea why the first game doesn't have *either*. And I thought the grappling hook mechanic was hideously broken in the first game, seeing how they handled it in this one just confirms it.

I don't regret playing (or, rather, trying to play) the first one, I like seeing for myself that a game isn't that great rather than just trusting others opinions completely (though I am more likely to listen to you guys in the future now).

Eh! Frank fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Sep 6, 2011

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Agreed.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I loved Cryostasis, it is a rough gem though. The story is murky in places but told excellently, and I really liked the way they used cold as an enemy, forcing you to seek out heat sources.

I didn't even mind the shooting that much, although I thought it was the weakest part of the game. The thing you have to get used to is training yourself out of a more standard FPS mindset. You have to really take care and aim, because most of your best weapons will kill in one or two shots, but are bolt action or otherwise slow to fire with a lot of downtime between shots.

They do a good job with the story making the storybook pieces match up to what you've learned about the ship at the end. I'm really pleased with how well it came together. And yeah the combat was definitely very slow and deliberate which I'm fine with. You had to learn to really pick your shots and, at least for a little while, be really careful about how much ammo you waste. By the end of the game I was armed to the teeth though.

Sporkles posted:

Yeaaaaah, about that, I didn't actually know that was such a good weapon until after I finished, so I never used it. :suicide: So I was indeed thoroughly sick of shooting by the end of it! Not that it was hard, exactly, it just got tedious. Was still worth it for the atmosphere, though.

Ha! Yeah I actually found the water cannon in a secret-ish area before I acquired any real guns. I thought it was going to be used for solving puzzles and then a few hours later when that didn't happen I finally tried it on an enemy and it kicked its rear end.

Sporkles posted:

I think I'm craving some sort of sandbox game.

Just Cause 2 if you haven't played it.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

Yodzilla posted:

Just Cause 2 if you haven't played it.
I'm seconding this. The world is huge, there's tons of cars, almost always a motor cycle in view on the road, there's a ton of secrets, and a simple way to travel on foot. I honestly couldn't ask for much more from a sandbox game other than the voice-acting/story.
Though if you've played a lot of GTA IV/Mafia II, first thing you'll probably want to do is fiddle with your controls. The defaults aren't too great.

Edit: Also since it was mentioned earlier, how playable is Cryostasis? I heard the requirements were a bit worse than Crysis.

Susat fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 6, 2011

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

Just Cause 2

I have played it! And loved it all. I think the only sandbox game that I have that's unfinished (that I can think of) is GTA: San Andreas, and by unfinished I mean I never beat the last mission before my PS2 horked and quasi-died.

Or maybe Red Faction: Guerilla? I think I stopped a little less than halfway through it, but I haven't played it for about 6 months so I don't know if I feel like starting over.

Fearian
Nov 21, 2007

TSSSSSSssssss...

Thinking bout my next game to knock of the list.

Battlefield BC2: I've played this alot but I want to max out my unlocks. Might save this for the run up to BF3.

Darksiders: I played about 5 minutes of this and got bored as hell.

Ghostbusters: I'm right near the end of the game and loved it, then came up against some bullshit fight I couldn't win. Haven't played it in about a year.

Choose for me goons!

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Fearian posted:

Thinking bout my next game to knock of the list.

Battlefield BC2: I've played this alot but I want to max out my unlocks. Might save this for the run up to BF3.

Darksiders: I played about 5 minutes of this and got bored as hell.

Ghostbusters: I'm right near the end of the game and loved it, then came up against some bullshit fight I couldn't win. Haven't played it in about a year.

Choose for me goons!

What about Darksiders made you bored?

By play time alone I'd say Ghostbusters just to have it over with.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

The first hour of Darksiders is, admittedly, fairly boring. Once you get into the world a bit further it becomes more enjoyable.

Fearian
Nov 21, 2007

TSSSSSSssssss...

I'm not sure. I think the fact that the opening level just has you stomping down a very linear and uninteresting level killing minions, for as far as I could, tell no reason other than 'they bad guys you good guy'. I probably just need to give it some more time to open up.

edit: Ok I was much closer to the end of the game than I thought. Ghostbusters done! Something glitched at the end and an annoying electrical explosion noise from the final boss fight looped over all the dialogue in the final cutscene meaning I have no idea really what the plot of that game was. Whatever I just did, it everyone looked pretty happy about it I guess!

Fearian fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 7, 2011

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Darksiders is worth a playthrough; the start is one of the weakest parts of the game ironically.

It's the tutorial/setup and a lot of games make those take way too long.

Fearian
Nov 21, 2007

TSSSSSSssssss...

Yep now I'm getting into it, it's hitting all the right spots for addiction; I've always got a goal, lots of collectables, fairly frequent upgrades and nice combat... Shame about the plot so far.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Finished Eschalon: Book 1. Pretty solid little RPG, not too long (about 20 hours of actual playtime, more like 22-23 hours total thanks to lockpicking/trap disarming/chest savescumming). I wouldn't pay the $15 it costs normally, but if it goes on sale during another steam sale for 50-75% off it'd be worth picking if you don't mind deliberately old-school PC RPGs. It'd be a good candidate for a netbook game, I think - the resolution maxes out at 800x600 and it's turn-based so you could touchpad it pretty easily.

I'm looking forward to Book 2, but I think I need to mix it up with a different style of RPG before diving into that one - maybe Last Remnant for a distinctly non-PC-RPG, as opposed to Drakensang.

Edit: Backloggery's fortune cookie just flat out told me to play Last Remnant now from a completely blind pick, so I guess there we have it!

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 8, 2011

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Well I just finished Metro 2033. I got the bad ending at first as I didn't get what I was supposed to do so I replayed the last part to then get the good ending as I had enough moral points.

All in all it was a very good game. Probably the most atmospheric game I have played due in a big part to the incredible graphics and great sound. Quite a few bugs though and the whole gas mask thing and checkpoint saves were pretty annoying a lot of the time.

I think if anyone here is about to play this they should read the "What you should know before you play" for it and also buy as many filters as you can right at the start!

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Bionic Commando: Beaten. :unsmith: There's a totally awesome game in here that they wrote about a quarter of, and then they burned the whole loving thing to the ground. It could have been so good.

Hitman: Blood Money: Acquired. :smith:

So I'm treading water. In fact, I just checked and I've finished exactly as many games as I've added since getting my Backloggery account. Homeostasis! :woop:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ManxomeBromide posted:

So I'm treading water. In fact, I just checked and I've finished exactly as many games as I've added since getting my Backloggery account. Homeostasis! :woop:

At least your %completed is increasing!

Mine's been dropping, but at least this is because I keep uncovering games that I have and just hadn't remembered to add to my Backloggery, not because I keep getting new games.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
I'm getting to the point where there's a lot of poo poo in backlog. Feels good to Null those babies.

I'll try something two or three times and if it's not doing anything for me in it goes.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Rock of Ages. Bought and beaten. I'm glad it exists. Could be a better port, though. Oh, and Deus Ex: HR last week. Also good.

Bad news: Started Borderlands up since I've had it for years and some friends just recently bought it. Also for some stupid reason (football season I guess) I randomly thought of the Virtua Tennis Giant Bomb video and thought "Yeah, that seemed fun."

And it is. I accidentally played for three hours when I meant to go to bed early. I might have discovered a strategy that the PC can't deal with reliably, but I'll probably just bump it to the higher difficulty.

Edit: gently caress, I also bought GalCiv 2 and Tropico 4, both which are awesome. Guys, I'm so bad at this.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 8, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

gently caress windows in the eye. Those cool screenshots I was showing where the images are the radio buttons? Yeah, not supported on windows. I get everything else working and now I need to redesign parts of the UI.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I need to update the second post, I'll get around to it soon.

Finished Deus Ex HR. Amazing game, lovely ending.

Gonna do it again on easy to do a silent run and get 100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Finished modding New Vegas so I'm happy with it. Only got a couple this time. It helps that a lot of the major mods I used in FO3 are now regular features of Hardcore Mode in NV.