Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

FlyingCheese posted:

Are there any good roms for the Evo3D yet? I kinda want to try out CleanROM. Are there any stability issues with it? Anything broken?

I wanted to just roll my own and modify stock to my liking but it seems I've done all I can without getting into some of the advanced procedures that I don't really care enough to learn how to do.

CleanROM is what I've been using as a daily driver for weeks. Never had a single reboot or crash, great battery life, no lovely themes. Very fast too.

You can flash optional zips with different overscroll colors too, as well as different fonts. I like that the optional stuff is just that, and not forced by the rom author.

You'll have to manually install an older EPST app if you need the functions it provides, as it's one of the few roms that doesn't include it by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Krittick posted:

You'll have to manually install an older EPST app if you need the functions it provides, as it's one of the few roms that doesn't include it by default.

Sorry for the noob questions but what does that do? What functions does EPST provide? And why an older one?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Is it worth rooting my Nexus S if I'm just looking to utilize a few of the features, like LED buttons lighting up on message reception and maybe extending battery life a little? I'm fairly satisfied with the stock options and not so much worried about warranty as I am bricking my phone.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

SplitSoul posted:

Nexus S LED buttons lighting up on message reception

Has this been reliably implemented yet? Last I knew it was unconfirmed whether it was possible without turning on the screen.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Surprise T Rex posted:

Has this been reliably implemented yet? Last I knew it was unconfirmed whether it was possible without turning on the screen.

My friend had it working on his rooted Nexus, and he did it precisely because he was tired of turning on the screen, so yes. I have no idea what ROM he was running, though.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

LastInLine posted:

Um, yes?

Considering there are rock-solid ROMs out there that greatly enhance functionality with absolutely no downside it's really a no-brainer.

poo poo even if you go to the last CM6 version it's better than remaining on stock.

But what benefit does it provide to someone like me that just uses his phone for a web browser and gaming device over having a warranty since rooting it will void that?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

mobn posted:

But what benefit does it provide to someone like me that just uses his phone for a web browser and gaming device over having a warranty since rooting it will void that?

Your phone is already Sense-less right? In that case I'd just leave it standard, exactly as I've done with my Nexus S

Having come from a CM phone these are the main features I miss
- Better configuration options for screen timeout/lock - on CM I had the screen turn off quickly to save battery but the screen lock delayed so it was easier to wake the phone up
- Individually dismissable notifications (seriously surprised that stock lacks this)
- The customisations of the stock messaging app, eg dark background, adjustable text size etc
- Lock screen music controls

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

FlyingCheese posted:

Sorry for the noob questions but what does that do? What functions does EPST provide? And why an older one?

It gives access to extra diagnostic phone settings like manual PRL updates using codes like ##775# etc. Unless you care about that, you can ignore the stuff about EPST.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mobn posted:

dissss posted:

Having come from a CM phone these are the main features I miss
- Better configuration options for screen timeout/lock - on CM I had the screen turn off quickly to save battery but the screen lock delayed so it was easier to wake the phone up
- Individually dismissable notifications (seriously surprised that stock lacks this)
- The customisations of the stock messaging app, eg dark background, adjustable text size etc
- Lock screen music controls
Add to this:

- Notification power widget
- SIM unlock
- Easy backup (especially useful for scores generally tied to a device)
- Adblocking
- Individual permissions denial (for apps that want too many permissions)

Plus it's not like you can't go back to stock easily if you needed to use the warranty.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SplitSoul posted:

Is it worth rooting my Nexus S if I'm just looking to utilize a few of the features, like LED buttons lighting up on message reception and maybe extending battery life a little? I'm fairly satisfied with the stock options and not so much worried about warranty as I am bricking my phone.

Surprise T Rex posted:

It's definitely worth rooting the NS just to use a Voodoo/BLN (backlight notification) kernel. You don't even need to switch ROMs to get what you want, just root (which will wipe the phone), flash a kernel (I'd recommend the Lucid one), and install the apps, Voodoo Control and BLN Control.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Haha, well I think I am going to root after all. Ever since the OTA gingerbread update came out for my phone I've had two annoying bugs: it constantly tries to udpate Google Skymap and then fails because it's not signed properly, and my hardware keyboard randomly starts acting like a bunch of shortcut buttons instead of being letters, so when I try to type a "b" it leaves my text message and does a google search. I have to reboot the phone to fix this.

Since I don't want 3/4 of these google apps anyway, what's the best rom for the HTC G2? Additionally, what's the best way to transfer all of my apps (because I have a lot) to the new rom?

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

mobn posted:

Haha, well I think I am going to root after all. Ever since the OTA gingerbread update came out for my phone I've had two annoying bugs: it constantly tries to udpate Google Skymap and then fails because it's not signed properly, and my hardware keyboard randomly starts acting like a bunch of shortcut buttons instead of being letters, so when I try to type a "b" it leaves my text message and does a google search. I have to reboot the phone to fix this.

Since I don't want 3/4 of these google apps anyway, what's the best rom for the HTC G2? Additionally, what's the best way to transfer all of my apps (because I have a lot) to the new rom?

titanium backup for transferring.

when you root your phone you can use the pro version of titanium backup (not sure if the free allows this) to freeze or uninstall any apps you don't want. I used that to get rid of the stock browser and a handful of other apps that I never use.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Penguissimo posted:

I've been using Spare Parts on an Inc running CM since the day I bought it and never had any trouble. Really not sure what's going on with yours, sorry.

From the last page but...

Because it's either CM uses the old FroYo battery API's or the Spare Parts included in CM is fixed to use the new Gingerbread API's. Either way, Spare Parts from the Market is horribly broken if you're on a Gingerbread ROM (OEM or otherwise) that isn't CyanogenMod.

For us non CM scrubs grab BetterBatteryStats. Grab it on the Market for $2.80 or get it free from his regularly updated thread on XDA.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

From the last page but...

Because it's either CM uses the old FroYo battery API's or the Spare Parts included in CM is fixed to use the new Gingerbread API's. Either way, Spare Parts from the Market is horribly broken if you're on a Gingerbread ROM (OEM or otherwise) that isn't CyanogenMod.

For us non CM scrubs grab BetterBatteryStats. Grab it on the Market for $2.80 or get it free from his regularly updated thread on XDA.

Ahh, that makes more sense. Shame that the guys maintaining the Market version haven't updated it for GB yet.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

To add to the talk about GB spare parts I started- I recently switched back to miui on my Dinc and spare parts is working for me again.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

mobn posted:

As for the rom; time and time again I always end up back on CM7. You may want to try one of the virtuous roms if you want to check out sense, and there are about 100 MIUI ports, but everything aside from CM7 seems to be unstable and 'hackish' for me, with OMG EXTREME OVERCLOCKING KERNEL, and little niggling bugs, or features that don't quite work right.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Baram posted:

To add to the talk about GB spare parts I started- I recently switched back to miui on my Dinc and spare parts is working for me again.

Not surprising since MIUI "borrows" heavily from CM.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

LastInLine posted:

It's definitely worth rooting the NS just to use a Voodoo/BLN (backlight notification) kernel. You don't even need to switch ROMs to get what you want, just root (which will wipe the phone), flash a kernel (I'd recommend the Lucid one), and install the apps, Voodoo Control and BLN Control.

Would this allow me to still get regular Android updates and such? And would it be possible to also get the ad-blocking features?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

ZShakespeare posted:

As for the rom; time and time again I always end up back on CM7. You may want to try one of the virtuous roms if you want to check out sense, and there are about 100 MIUI ports, but everything aside from CM7 seems to be unstable and 'hackish' for me, with OMG EXTREME OVERCLOCKING KERNEL, and little niggling bugs, or features that don't quite work right.

What is Sense?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

mobn posted:

What is Sense?

Custom version of Android (and WinMo) made by HTC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Sense

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I get the feeling that i don't know enough about rooting to even vaguely justify the risk of getting my phone bricked. I've got an HTC sensation; is there really much point in rooting my phone?

Sense 3 already gives me the option of wi-fi tethering and other things, and despite the bloatware, things seem lightning fast already on it. The only thing that troubles me is the battery power. Rooting means you can underclock the processor to save battery power right? Is the difference significant enough to justify the risks?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Entropy238 posted:

I've got an HTC sensation; is there really much point in rooting my phone?
Aside from the things already mentioned (like backups), one reason to root a Sensation if you haven't done any of the OTA updates is to get S-OFF now so you can retain root/hacking options for it in the future.

S-OFF means your phone is totally unlocked, you can change the system software any way you want, or leave it all as is. The problem is that, the OTA updates out there prevent the phone from being made S-OFF (fully unlocked). Now, you can still root the phone using HTC's official unlock method, but that requires registering with HTC, and the phone isn't "fully" unlocked in the sense that while you can install custom ROMs and crap, you can't replace the bootloader or radio.

If you've already done the Sensation OTA updates, or decide to apply them without unlocking your phone first, it's probably not a huge deal in the long run. Hopefully HTC won't take the official method away, and as more pre-updated devices hit the market, folks will have to get used to doing things "HTC's way". But it's worth knowing that there is a way to fully unlock the device now, that you might not be able to do in the future.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Is anyone willing to walk me through the process of rooting a Nexus S? There seems to be a bunch of different methods outlined on XDA.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

SplitSoul posted:

Is anyone willing to walk me through the process of rooting a Nexus S?
Does this help?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SplitSoul posted:

Is anyone willing to walk me through the process of rooting a Nexus S? There seems to be a bunch of different methods outlined on XDA.
This seems like a comprehensive guide but there's a couple things I'd add. First you'll need to save all the local data you can, since you're going to be wiping. Stuff like call logs and text messages can be backed up with apps in the market as can Angry Birds scores. Most other games keep their poo poo on the SD card. Back up settings in apps that let you, like your launcher (or Android Agenda Widget). The wiki says you can use Titanium Backup but you can't since you're not rooted.

You also should download the stuff you're going to want before you root, not after. That would be the ROM, GApps (if CM7), and the kernel.

Also it doesn't void the warranty, no idea why that's there.

You can stop just after installing Clockwork Recovery if you don't want CM7. Just install Superuser and you're rooted on the stock ROM.

If you just want the Voodoo/BLN and adblocking, you'd just need the Lucid kernel, this app, and the two apps I listed above (Voodoo Control and BLN Control).

Any questions, feel free to ask.

By the way, the biggest bitch is getting adb to recognize the phone. Those loving drivers took forever to get working. After that though the process takes like five minutes.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
If anyone is stuck with an HTC Evo Shift on Android 2.3 without root, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1255474 <-- that tutorial will walk you through downgrading to Android 2.2, then you can root and install a custom ROM or a rooted stock ROM.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Does Adfree even still work? I've been running it since I rooted my phone and I haven't noticed any decrease in the amount of ads I get (either on the web or in apps).

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

FlyingCheese posted:

Does Adfree even still work? I've been running it since I rooted my phone and I haven't noticed any decrease in the amount of ads I get (either on the web or in apps).

Works fine for me. There are some apps and websites that still show ads for some reason, but they're few and far between on my EVO 3D.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Surprise T Rex posted:

Mine works fine on my Nexus S running Brainmasters MIUI and Trinity's kernel.

I didn't know what was going on at first...thought something was stuck. After I realized it replaces the missing LED for notifications, I called it...well, genius. Love it.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 10, 2011

Strom Thurmond
Jul 24, 2004

by XyloJW

mobn posted:

Any suggestions on how to fix this, or should I take it to a different thread? I have the same issue with the keyboard short-cut poo poo, and this awful black shortcut bar comes up over my screen randomly, along with a bunch of other issues. When it gets bad enough, my phone is totally unusable.

I'm running a rooted Droid 2 and 2.3.3. I don't know squat about rooting though; I just downloaded a bunch of the stuff in this thread and haven't gotten a chance to play with them yet.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I tried to install Virtuous Sense 2.0 onto my G2. When it booted up I just kept getting a force close for android.process.acore. Googling just lists a bunch of stuff about bad facebook contacts, but I had literally just booted up the rom for the first time.

I tried rebooting into recover, re-wiping cache and dalvik cache, reflashing, and still no go. I'm putting CM7 on there for now, but does anyone have any ideas about Virtuous Sense? What little I saw around the force close popping up over and over seemed swanky.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Little update: CM7 didn't work either. The phone app wasn't installed for some reason and I couldn't get it to connect to the t-mobile network.

I had to restore the original froyo rom and now it's working fine, so I'll have to try again tomorrow as far as flashing a different rom on there. Hopefully by then y'all will have some advice for me.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mobn posted:

I tried to install Virtuous Sense 2.0 onto my G2. When it booted up I just kept getting a force close for android.process.acore. Googling just lists a bunch of stuff about bad facebook contacts, but I had literally just booted up the rom for the first time.

I tried rebooting into recover, re-wiping cache and dalvik cache, reflashing, and still no go. I'm putting CM7 on there for now, but does anyone have any ideas about Virtuous Sense? What little I saw around the force close popping up over and over seemed swanky.

mobn posted:

Little update: CM7 didn't work either. The phone app wasn't installed for some reason and I couldn't get it to connect to the t-mobile network.

I had to restore the original froyo rom and now it's working fine, so I'll have to try again tomorrow as far as flashing a different rom on there. Hopefully by then y'all will have some advice for me.
It sure sounds like you're not wiping. Go to recovery, wipe EVERYTHING. Wipe data, wipe cache, and wipe Dalvik (which is under Advanced, not by the other wipe things for some stupid reason). You don't need to wipe battery stats or rotation settings. I'm almost positive this is your problem.

Shitfucker
Aug 21, 2007
PLEASE TELL ME WHAT I WANT TO HEAR
I guess I am a little bemused to be met with such singleminded support of absolute frugality.
x

Shitfucker fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 2, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hotsauce posted:

Mine works fine on my Nexus S running Brainmasters MIUI and Trinity's kernel.

I didn't know what was going on at first...thought something was stuck. After I realized it replaces the missing LED for notifications, I called it...well, genius. Love it.

Yeah BLN owns on the NS.

Shitfucker posted:

I just rooted my Incredible 2 and put cm7 on it. I now notice that the sound jack only outputs the left channel of music. Is this a known problem?
Not that I've ever heard, no. See if there's anything weird going on in DSPManager and maybe try a different headset.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

LastInLine posted:

It sure sounds like you're not wiping. Go to recovery, wipe EVERYTHING. Wipe data, wipe cache, and wipe Dalvik (which is under Advanced, not by the other wipe things for some stupid reason). You don't need to wipe battery stats or rotation settings. I'm almost positive this is your problem.

If I wipe data, won't it delete Rom Manager and things like that?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
It will delete everything, but when installing a new ROM you have to or else you get all these wonky issues. That's why you make titanium backups before installing a new ROM.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Someone found a toggle for Beats audio in the HTC Music APK for the Sensation. It only activates itself when Beats headphones are plugged in, but it's been modded so that it works when any headphones are plugged in. Here's the link to a modded APK.

It's all software here. First impressions is it seems to actually work. However, I'll have to roll my own stuff whenever ICS CM comes out. There's a system-wide version of this too, but not sure if it works as well.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mobn posted:

If I wipe data, won't it delete Rom Manager and things like that?
This is just how it works. You back up data to the SD card and you have to wipe everything when you flash a new ROM. Restore poo poo using Titanium or redownload it from the Market but wiping data when you change ROMs is not optional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

This is just how it works. You back up data to the SD card and you have to wipe everything when you flash a new ROM. Restore poo poo using Titanium or redownload it from the Market but wiping data when you change ROMs is not optional.

Also, by the time you get to the wiping phase, everything ROM Manager has to do is done. ROM Manager is essentially a GUI for scripts that tell the phone to reboot into recovery and install a ROM from the SD card. Since the commands have already been issued by the time you arrive at wiping, and the wipe doesn't touch the SD card, having ROM Manager taken out by the wipe isn't a problem.