Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

McMadCow posted:

I don't like looking up a model's nose, but everything else about that shot is so strong that I'm willing to forgive it. Well done.

My exact thoughts. Love the location!

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Halfway through the shoot I realized that I forgot my trusty step stool. I then stood on top of a picnic table and took these

I personally like those better! I'm short (5'7) so I always have a stool around when I shoot, helps a lot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bialosky
Jan 29, 2006

"Washing machine?"
Messing around with a new pair of Oakleys.

juliet by schmoopybee, on Flickr

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Unfortunately I can see the wrinkly surface of your reflector in your sunglasses. However, because it's a simple white to black gradient you could fudge that in post fairly easily. Yes, it's cheating. Otherwise you have to get a smoother surface for your reflector or shoot with a beauty dish or something.

Bialosky
Jan 29, 2006

"Washing machine?"

Mannequin posted:

Unfortunately I can see the wrinkly surface of your reflector in your sunglasses. However, because it's a simple white to black gradient you could fudge that in post fairly easily. Yes, it's cheating. Otherwise you have to get a smoother surface for your reflector or shoot with a beauty dish or something.

Yeah, I want to try to completely remove that sort of thing next time. For some reason I like the metallic reflection of the reflector a lot more than the reflection of the entire octabox, which I wish I could have more convincingly removed from the opposite lens.

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
I want to try portraits but I'm just really nervous of wasting someone's time. I also don't have any strobist kit which I should get around to buying. These are of friends and family.

A. by Clwn, on Flickr

[
A. by Clwn, on Flickr

A. by Clwn, on Flickr

Is there such thing as candid portraiture?

A. by Clwn, on Flickr

T. by Clwn, on Flickr

G. by Clwn, on Flickr

Clown fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 12, 2011

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.
snapshots.jpg

Comments on processing most welcome

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".
As per aliencowboy's (awesome) spot suggestion I went ahead and shot a friend over an abandoned radio tower in Ottawa.

IMG_8039 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_8040 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_8066 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_8069 by avoyer, on Flickr

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

xenilk posted:

As per aliencowboy's (awesome) spot suggestion I went ahead and shot a friend over an abandoned radio tower in Ottawa.

IMG_8039 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_8040 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_8066 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_8069 by avoyer, on Flickr

Glad it worked out! I think the first one is definitely the strongest of the bunch-- I like the way her tattoo sort of bridges into the drywall.

The silhouette of her dress is a little distracting in the second picture though, I keep thinking that's where her leg should be.

Cesaro
Oct 5, 2004
I shot my first engagement photos this past weekend in Minneapolis (first planned shoot period really). The whole set was done in just over two hours in the middle of the day. I brought my light stands and such but we were so crunched for time I never set them up.

Overall I think it went well for my first time, though obviously I see a few issues to work on in the future. Please critique!

011 (BW) on Flickr

016 on Flickr

019 on Flickr

031 (BW tilt) on Flickr

Pure (Dark) on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Extreme angles might appeal to some couples, but all in all they are pretty lovely so try not to make a habit of it. Otherwise, that is pretty good for a first time, nice work.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
Vignette's on photos like that always make me think "Cheeeeesy!". I almost want you to change it to a heart shaped vignette...

I do like that first shot though, her roots show nicely.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Cesaro posted:

I shot my first engagement photos this past weekend in Minneapolis (first planned shoot period really). The whole set was done in just over two hours in the middle of the day. I brought my light stands and such but we were so crunched for time I never set them up.

Overall I think it went well for my first time, though obviously I see a few issues to work on in the future. Please critique!

I like those shots, for a first engagement shoot it's pretty solid :) I would agree that the awkward angle might be a little too much but other than that the processing and everything else is pretty good!

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

My wife is pregnant, I'm planning (waaaay ahead) how to shoot her belly when the time comes. Anyone have pointer to make the belly shoot not an awkward process? I'll probably have to bend and take one of those cheesy 'heart on the belly with my hand' shot but otherwise I'd like to take some classy pictures, no nude. (she wont do it)

I started looking on Flickr and found quite a few that I like. I like the idea of having her eat whatever the hell she will be craving. Since we have two other kids, I'll try to have them do fun things with the belly. Otherwise I'm drawing a total blank. Any ideas are welcome. :)

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Dress her up as a cave woman, have her pose in a feral position on top of your dining room table while she tears a huge chunk of meat out of a massive turkey leg with her teeth. Have all the fixings' scattered all over the table. You should be sitting in a chair staring at her looking like "Oh my god what the gently caress is going on!"

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

RangerScum posted:

Dress her up as a cave woman, have her pose in a feral position on top of your dining room table while she tears a huge chunk of meat out of a massive turkey leg with her teeth. Have all the fixings' scattered all over the table. You should be sitting in a chair staring at her looking like "Oh my god what the gently caress is going on!"

This. Definitely this.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Cesaro posted:

I think the first is easily the best of the bunch, but they look relaxed and comfortable in all of them, which is good.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

RangerScum posted:

Do this idea first, if that doesn't work do something that shows the belly AND who she is. I did a preg shoot where I had the mom dressed up as 80s dancers, because she loved to dance, and dance she did up until 2 weeks before birth.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aiiaznsk8er/4488880880/in/set-72157623640556349

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Do this idea first, if that doesn't work do something that shows the belly AND who she is. I did a preg shoot where I had the mom dressed up as 80s dancers, because she loved to dance, and dance she did up until 2 weeks before birth.

That is very cool!

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Thank you, that is an awesome picture BTW, very representative.

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

I was messing around with my camera when my partner started laughing her arse off at something her friend who she was talking to on the phone said. Bit hesitant to post given the quality of some of the shots in here, but here goes! I love how she really gets into laughing when she's amused, so I'm thinking of trying to catch more people in candid laughter shots like this one :)

Laughter by iamduster, on Flickr

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Did some senior portraits for my neighbor.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

ruro posted:

I was messing around with my camera when my partner started laughing her arse off at something her friend who she was talking to on the phone said. Bit hesitant to post given the quality of some of the shots in here, but here goes! I love how she really gets into laughing when she's amused, so I'm thinking of trying to catch more people in candid laughter shots like this one :)

Laughter by iamduster, on Flickr

I like it. A great moment to capture.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

dakana posted:

Did some senior portraits for my neighbor.

These look great. I really dig the black and white ones.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Tried my flash for the second time.

paula by king colliwog, on Flickr

paula by king colliwog, on Flickr

paula 2 by king colliwog, on Flickr

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
I had a session with my sister and a couple of friends yesterday so that I could practice with people. I dunno how you guys do it so well. We went 2-3 hours before sunset, but the sun was so bright it was directly in everyone's eyes, so I ended up shooting in a shadowed area. I had my camera on Av with spot metering on their face (correct, incorrect method?), and it kept underexposing so I bumped up my exposure compensation by 2/3 or a full stop, and they still came out underexposed...sigh. I shot in RAW, so it wasn't the end of the world, but still frustrating. I'm also going to ask my sister to not wear a white shirt next time, as it really threw off my sense of proper exposure.

Then came the challenge of posing. Was that ever a mess...I had all these poses in mind, but once I got behind the camera, I totally forgot how to use my brain apparently, and we sort of just slogged along as best we could. I also kind of zone out when I'm behind the camera, so thank God our other friend was there to help make them laugh and smile and stuff. How do you guys handle poses? Do you direct the model pretty much through all of it, or do they have a good idea of what to do already?

Anyway, here are what I think were the best ones. We're going to try again in a bit when the trees have changed colours and my friend has a bit more mobility. Any comments on the photos themselves or processing would be very welcome!

IMG_0010-2 by bernsai, on Flickr

IMG_0118-2 by bernsai, on Flickr

IMG_0031-2 by bernsai, on Flickr

IMG_0069-2 by bernsai, on Flickr

IMG_0127 by bernsai, on Flickr

IMG_0137 by bernsai, on Flickr

Full set is here, if you're so inclined: http://www.flickr.com/photos/carrot_flowers/sets/72157627648662416/with/6137662555/

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Took some pictures of my girlfriend to practice. I brought the wrong bag and had neither a reflector or flash.

IMG_2696-Edit.jpg by shmoogy, on Flickr

IMG_2674-Edit.jpg by shmoogy, on Flickr

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
two more from that same girl

Paula by king colliwog, on Flickr

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

CarrotFlowers posted:

IMG_0010-2 by bernsai, on Flickr

Whenever I shoot in shadow my skin tones all end up wonky, rather than the nice flat pastel colours you get in yours my always end up looking too mixed, probably the cooler light making the reds in the skin look darker. What processing did you do to maintain skin tone.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

XTimmy posted:

Whenever I shoot in shadow my skin tones all end up wonky, rather than the nice flat pastel colours you get in yours my always end up looking too mixed, probably the cooler light making the reds in the skin look darker. What processing did you do to maintain skin tone.

I didn't do anything special, I don't think. I bumped up the exposure a ton in post, and then I warmed it up and added a tiny bit of split toning. I didn't use a flash or anything, if that helps, it was all natural lighting.

Edit: The girl you posted has really nice skin to begin with though...I haven't really had the opportunity to work with someone who has bad skin. The other girl in that shoot, in the white top, has slightly darker/harsher skin and I'm not as happy with her photos to be honest. This one is one of the few that I really liked, and I think it's just because I'm a fan of the over exposed look.

IMG_0132 by bernsai, on Flickr

CarrotFlowers fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 12, 2011

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

KingColliwog posted:

two more from that same girl

Get both eyes in focus.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

Paragon8 posted:

Get both eyes in focus.
And try not to get her plucked eyebrow as the only bit in focus... It's mingalicious.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Paragon8 posted:

Get both eyes in focus.

In the second one that was the effect I was looking for though, I usually like these sort of shots when I make close ups of someone face. I know girls usually like that a lot. I'll at least take a few with a smaller aperture to have both options next time though. Thanks for the tip.

For the first one well I think it's in focus, it's just very dark. It wasn't easy to get her in the perfect angle while she was spinning around. I should have taken more, but the sun was going down and I wanted to take those super edgy flary shots :v: I'll give myself more time for shots that are more "random"

Jiblet posted:

And try not to get her plucked eyebrow as the only bit in focus... It's mingalicious.

Yeah, sort of failed focusing on her eye there. I think I focused on her eyelash. The sharpening certainly made that look worst, I'll look into attenuating it around the eyebrow/focus it only on the actual eye.

thanks to both of you for your insights.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 12, 2011

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

KingColliwog posted:

In the second one that was the effect I was looking for though, I usually like these sort of shots when I make close ups of someone face. I know girls usually like that a lot. I'll at least take a few with a smaller aperture to have both options next time though. Thanks for the tip.

I get that it might seem visually interesting to you and perhaps the layman but even if it is intentional it looks like a very poor technical error.

Photography is a tremendously broad and subjective field but there are certain fundamentals that you should definitely try to adhere to especially as a beginner. A focus mistake like having only one eye in focus in portraiture is not good.

A portrait is about showing a person and who they are and for me the eyes in particular are a huge part about making a connection with the subject so doing something that renders one eye so different from the other damages the photograph's ability to make a visual connection.

I understand it's frustrating to have someone tell you that X is fundamentally wrong and it sometimes is a good instinct to ignore stuff like that and do your own thing. I rarely post in this thread anymore because the pedantic criticism annoys me so much so I sort of hate making a criticism like this.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Paragon8 posted:

I get that it might seem visually interesting to you and perhaps the layman but even if it is intentional it looks like a very poor technical error.

Photography is a tremendously broad and subjective field but there are certain fundamentals that you should definitely try to adhere to especially as a beginner. A focus mistake like having only one eye in focus in portraiture is not good.

A portrait is about showing a person and who they are and for me the eyes in particular are a huge part about making a connection with the subject so doing something that renders one eye so different from the other damages the photograph's ability to make a visual connection.

I understand it's frustrating to have someone tell you that X is fundamentally wrong and it sometimes is a good instinct to ignore stuff like that and do your own thing. I rarely post in this thread anymore because the pedantic criticism annoys me so much so I sort of hate making a criticism like this.

No it's really great that you took the time to comment and explain yourself more precisely like that. While I like this effect I understand that this is all it is : an effect. I'll make sure I also do more "classic" or "fundamentally right" portraits along with the more "hey I'll try this because I personally like that sort of thing and I believe potential clients might like it too".

It's not like I have to do one or the other and now that I think about it it was a mistake to just go : :v: DURF DURF DURF 1.8 DURF DURF DURF :v: because I find that fun. When I could have simply closed down the aperture for a few shots so I at least had both options.

Sometime you think something looks good until you do the more "classic" thing and then you hate yourself for not doing it earlier because you were doing all those cool things!

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Paragon8 posted:

You should post more often. I really like your shots, and am going to try to duplicate the style of some of your photos (hope you take that as a compliment, not a rip-off).

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

KingColliwog posted:

No it's really great that you took the time to comment and explain yourself more precisely like that. While I like this effect I understand that this is all it is : an effect. I'll make sure I also do more "classic" or "fundamentally right" portraits along with the more "hey I'll try this because I personally like that sort of thing and I believe potential clients might like it too".

It's not like I have to do one or the other and now that I think about it it was a mistake to just go : :v: DURF DURF DURF 1.8 DURF DURF DURF :v: because I find that fun. When I could have simply closed down the aperture for a few shots so I at least had both options.

Sometime you think something looks good until you do the more "classic" thing and then you hate yourself for not doing it earlier because you were doing all those cool things!

Oh yeah, I'm a huuuge advocate of just loving around and learning through shooting rather than books etc.

I think the lure of fast apertures is a little dangerous I've actually made it a rule to stop down one more click than I think I should be at because I absolutely kill myself when I miss focus.

And because CarrotFlowers told me to!

I'm going to sort of try and explain my methodology and intent behind these. There's no real unifying thing with this shoot. It was just a casual shoot with a friend of mine on the beach. Just me and a camera - ideally a reflector would have been super helpful but I'm not a huge fan of super aesthetically prefect images (except focus, haha!) - I don't quite know what I should term the aesthetic, it's sort of going for a vintage 60s/70s feel I guess? I could just be making up that time period. Sort of a relaxed sort of coca-cola advert feel. Just fun on the beach. I tried to push one towards a sort of kodachrome look which I super like. The other look is more of a sunsetty one with a push towards a greeny hue.

They probably aren't the best I shot but I enjoyed shooting them the most so I have a pretty solid emotional attachment to them.

From the same day -

This is sort of an interesting thing. I'm super happy with the actual image but I was pretty torn between the black and white and colour versions. The black and white is super powerful and I'm pleased with the processing as black and white conversion is something I've struggled with in the past. Ultimately I think I would go with the colour one as the main image because so much of the image was about the sea that it was almost a shame to eliminate the rich blue and the contrast of the model in it. Black and white sort of takes that away.

I hope you all find this informative and stuff. If there's anything else you'd like me to break down the thought process behind on my 500px I'd be happy to talk about it - https://www.500px.com/smread

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

Paragon8 posted:

I hope you all find this informative and stuff. If there's anything else you'd like me to break down the thought process behind on my 500px I'd be happy to talk about it - https://www.500px.com/smread
Absolutely, I love the processing on these examples!

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Mathturbator posted:

Absolutely, I love the processing on these examples!

Haha, pick something from 500px and I can give the "director's commentary" behind it. I warn you there's a couple that's just going to be "I was winging it and got super lucky"

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
I hate to be a picky bitch but I'll go ahead and say:

LEVEL YOUR HORIZONS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Jiblet posted:

I hate to be a picky bitch but I'll go ahead and say:

LEVEL YOUR HORIZONS

Agreed, that was eating at me, but I would even crop off the blown horizon and end it with a nice endless pool of water at the top.