Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Dolphin Fetus posted:

It always struck me as strange that parents and religious fundamentalists never attacked these games like they do with GTA or military shooter #44. Obviously the most controversial(SMT2) game was never released here but geeze..I've seen tons of fundies say how pokemon is satanic. So, what I'm getting at is that I did a bored google search and found this webpage:

http://guide2games.org/2008-reviews/991/shin-megami-tensei-persona-3-fes/

Persona 3 and DDS got a 2/5 christian rating, makes you wonder what he'd rate Nocturne :v:
What's the plot of SMT2 that makes it such a hot ticket?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Strange Matter posted:

Stem cells.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
And hot milfs.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Cityinthesea posted:

the trailer for the fighting game is out on youtube and it looks CRAZY. Also Kanji and Yukiko confirmed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuVCDMKY_oA&feature=player_embedded

Sweet, Chie has a Liu Kang bicycle kick.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.

Strange Matter posted:

It's really not THAT bad, my best friend is a catholic and thought it was hilarious.

Last boss of the game is YHVH and he's a yellow disembodied head that is more or less the Wizard of Oz. Also Satan and Lucifer are fairly big players and Satan works for God/YHVH.

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 8, 2011

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Dolphin Fetus posted:

It's really not THAT bad, my best friend is a catholic and thought it was hilarious.

Last boss of the game is YHVH and he's a yellow disembodied head that is more or less the Wizard of Oz

I always thought it was that and the Garden of Eden being a dungeon that pushed it over the top.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.

Dragonatrix posted:

I always thought it was that and the Garden of Eden being a dungeon that pushed it over the top.

Is it really that or just another warehouse like every other dungeon in the game? An SJ style remake of SMT1+2 would be really cool because I love the story in those games..but drat if playing them now feels kinda bad.

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 8, 2011

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So I've never played a PS2 SMT game (not persona series), which one is the best one, alternatively which one is the first one?

I'm most likely going to scour stores for it so I can play it on my computer in HD :allears:

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Dolphin Fetus posted:

It always struck me as strange that parents and religious fundamentalists never attacked these games like they do with GTA or military shooter #44. Obviously the most controversial(SMT2) game was never released here but geeze..I've seen tons of fundies say how pokemon is satanic. So, what I'm getting at is that I did a bored google search and found this webpage:

http://guide2games.org/2008-reviews/991/shin-megami-tensei-persona-3-fes/

Persona 3 and DDS got a 2/5 christian rating, makes you wonder what he'd rate Nocturne :v:

I think some crazy little LaRouchie newsletter did an article about how Persona 3 was emblematic of today's social decay way back when, too. They mostly seemed to be focused on the whole suicide motif.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
^^I would personally say Nocturne (or Lucifer's Call if you're in the UK) is the best one, and I also think it's the first one.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So I've never played a PS2 SMT game (not persona series), which one is the best one, alternatively which one is the first one?

I'm most likely going to scour stores for it so I can play it on my computer in HD :allears:

The only mainline SMT game for PS2 is Nocturne. Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 are good games, but Nocturne is the best, by far.

(technically, DDS doesn't hold the SMT name in Japan)

The whole SMT title thing is really confusing, and simplified in the states with all Atlus megami tensei games being called Shin Megami Tensei. Devil Survivor and Persona were both originally Megami Ibunroku games in Japan.

Doesn't really matter, though. They're basically all SMT.

thetrin fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 9, 2011

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Justice posted:

Stem cells.

I could not stop laughing at this.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Non-Persona SMT games on the PS2 are:
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (a.k.a. Shin Megami Tensei III)
SMT: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha 1 & 2
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2

The main Shin Megami Tensei series consists of Shin Megami Tensei I & Shin Megami Tensei II for Super Nintendo, Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne for Playstation 2. Direct spinoffs of the main series still considered in line with it, rather than a spinoff series in their own right are Shin Megami Tensei: If...for Super Nintendo (no current English translations), and Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey for Nintendo DS. Strange Journey is sort of the unofficial Shin Megami Tensei IV. From what I understand, the developers were unsure as to how it would be received, so they left the name off, just in case.

What is main and what is a spinoff and in what series is very confusing, and I think nearly everyone doesn't immediately understand at first. For your specific request, I'd personally reccommend Shin Megami Nocturne.

Doorselfin
Dec 18, 2004

You broke my sitar, motherfucker.

Cityinthesea posted:

the trailer for the fighting game is out on youtube and it looks CRAZY. Also Kanji and Yukiko confirmed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuVCDMKY_oA&feature=player_embedded

EXCITED JAPANESE MAN YELLING OVER TRAILER BUILDS IMMENSE AMOUNTS OF HYPE.

Edit: By the looks of this screen it looks like you might be able to change a character's Persona? Was this already known?

Doorselfin fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 9, 2011

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Last boss of the game is YHVH and he's a yellow disembodied head that is more or less the Wizard of Oz. Also Satan and Lucifer are fairly big players and Satan works for God/YHVH.

I'm Catholic myself and I don't mind any of the stuff in SMT and Persona. Gotta fuse Lucifer and Messiah to faceroll those last levels of Tartarus!

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Through my childhood, my religion was Christianity taught from a Protestant Bible Belt perspective, so reading the Let's Plays of Shin Megami Tensei I & II, was, um, somewhat culturally jarring. I consider the perspective of the SMT I & II games to be both amusing and educational. I also immensely look forward to the amusing Judeo-Christianic inspired plot points that appear in just about every single game in the SMT series.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm a Protestant, and SMT games never really came off as being horribly offensive to me. That being said, the high point of the Persona games for me was fusing Messiah. It's always exceptionally fun to just go out and wreck poo poo with the J-Man.

As for what little I've played of the mainline games, I always prefer the Law side, for more obvious reasons relating to that.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Doorselfin posted:

By the looks of this screen it looks like you might be able to change a character's Persona? Was this already known?

If anyone here noticed it, they didn't say it. I guess that means everyone will be able to switch to their upgraded forms, and maybe the Fool characters will even get some generic Personas to pick from too. Neat!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Catalina posted:

What is main and what is a spinoff and in what series is very confusing, and I think nearly everyone doesn't immediately understand at first. For your specific request, I'd personally reccommend Shin Megami Nocturne.

Yeah I was familiar with the SMT games on other systems (I've played but not beaten SJ, I've beaten Devil Survivor, played Persona 1, half of P3P, like 30 minutes of P4, and an hour or so of the SNES ones, I just wasn't familiar with the PS2 era and the spinoffs.

I hear Digital Devil Saga is good, what would that be compared to?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

DDS is very much its own thing; a little more in common with traditional JRPGs than Nocturne mechanically, but with a plot that's even less conventional. I'm personally not a fan; the first part has fantastic atmosphere and some interesting characters with a setting that really makes you wonder, and then part two resolves everything from part one in the least interesting way imaginable before heading directly to crazy town. I mean obviously they're still way better than your average RPG, but I much prefer Nocturne.

edit: Also you eat your enemies.

Coulis
Feb 22, 2009

<:haw:>
So Ghostlight revealed Persona 2 Collector edition:

No release date or price yet though. :(

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
What is the deal with special editions and t-shirts? I mean, what kind of person just struts around with an Anime Dude T-Shirt.

Still, i'll probably hold off on buying it on PSN until we get a date or price.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Technique posted:

What is the deal with special editions and t-shirts?

They're cheap and can be made en masse.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Technique posted:

What is the deal with special editions and t-shirts? I mean, what kind of person just struts around with an Anime Dude T-Shirt.

I'd wear it as a work shirt.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Doorselfin posted:

EXCITED JAPANESE MAN YELLING OVER TRAILER BUILDS IMMENSE AMOUNTS OF HYPE.

Edit: By the looks of this screen it looks like you might be able to change a character's Persona? Was this already known?

Watching that trailer, it really does seem like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure's spiritual sequel, as envisioned by Arc System Works. Sweet!

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Technique posted:

I usually work out in that sort of junk t-shirt. I'm pretty sure only the pathologically maladjusted wear them in public, but if you're a CS major like me you probably see a couple every day.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking
I've always hoped for a shirt with a crying anime teenager on it. Now everyone knows I mean business when I wear that shirt around town.

MelvinTheJerk
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still here.

Technique posted:

The Persona 4 t-shirt was awesome and something I'd easily wear out in public if they had it in my size.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

MelvinTheJerk posted:

The Persona 4 t-shirt was awesome and something I'd easily wear out in public if they had it in my size.

I wouldn't mind wearing the Cathrine one in public.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I prefer shirts that are a little more subtle about the subject, stuff from fangamer and whatnot. More like a stylish shirt that has roots in videogames, not just ANIME plastered on the front.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
One thing that kinda bugs me a bit is that we get the soundtrack with the special edition, whereas the US got it just for pre-ordering. I mean, let's face it, it's hardly an impressive set of bonus stuff. Soundtrack, Sad Anime Man Shirt, Anime Cards: The Trading Card Game, and a... poster, i think? The soundtrack is the only interesting thing there. :sigh:

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Maybe you should send Ghostlight a stern email demanding an oppai mousepad in their next special edition.

I feel you though. I largely only really want artbooks. I think Dark Souls is the only special edition I've ordered for a while.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
IDEA: Instead of The Amazing Blubbering Cartoon Man, we should get a t-shirt with Maya's ridiculous Boobhearts on it.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

MelvinTheJerk posted:

The Konami Style P4 t-shirt owned and I would wear it in public:

It's easily the most tasteful piece of videogame-related apparel I have ever seen, and given that it has a dead body on it that should speak volumes about videogame-related apparel in general.

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.
I only wear these shirts for bed, save for the one time I wore the Catherine shirt to a friend's because I was in a hurry and just grabbed anything I could find. I regretted it after but not because of the design: it's just too big on me and looked awkward. If it fitted better though, I wouldn't mind wearing it in public. Most shirts though? Ugh, no. But they're comfy for bed at least!

I wish we had gotten the P4 shirt the Japanese did. Not that the one we did get was bad or anything but it was kinda generic. The body one is just so stylish and cool. Reminds me of the shirt they also made of the body outline/target symbol on the floor in the tv world lobby. I still wish that one wasn't sold out everywhere, I'd buy it.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I don't think I would mind a simple Jack Frost shirt.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

MelvinTheJerk posted:

:goonsay:

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

TurnipFritter posted:

It's easily the most tasteful piece of videogame-related apparel I have ever seen, and given that it has a dead body on it that should speak volumes about videogame-related apparel in general.

:eek: Where can I get this t-shirt. Please tell me I can get this somewhere.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

Now THAT is a nice shirt. I would totally wear that.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
So, given that I played and enjoyed Persona 3 (including the Answer) and Persona 4, but when I tried to do Persona 1 on the PSP I hit a frustration/boredom wall somewhere around the third dungeon or so...

Is Persona 2: IS (PSP) a game for me, or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Thranguy posted:

So, given that I played and enjoyed Persona 3 (including the Answer) and Persona 4, but when I tried to do Persona 1 on the PSP I hit a frustration/boredom wall somewhere around the third dungeon or so...

Is Persona 2: IS (PSP) a game for me, or not?

It really depends on why you liked Persona 3 and 4. because if it's the whole social life sim element I don't think P2 will be the game for you.