Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcsnitches
Oct 26, 2010

Walrus Truck posted:

Gotta say, I really dig your intro music! You guys are pretty funny, and my favorite moment was about deleting messages on your phone. I just wish I could hear you guys better. I'm not sure if it's your mics or the room you're in, but I really have to pay attention to understand everything you're saying.

Thanks for the feedback man, really appreciate it :). About the mics being not in the room.........yeah you're on the money there comrade.

We found out our recording equipment was not actually recording in Audacity that episode. Instead it was a lovely webcam sitting ontop of the computer. Once we figured this out, we thought gently caress it, lets do a VODcast this week and stick it up on youtube.

here it is if you're interested

Youtube

Walrus Truck posted:

Also, if anyone in this thread is kind enough to lend an ear, my friend and I could use some constructive criticism on our (relatively) new podcast. [/url]

Bro you're podcast is awesome. For one I'm loving the sound quality, nice and crisp. I'm loving the banter between you and your partner. As for constructive criticism I'm in no position to judge. But you should keep at it, keep the momentum going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
So, The Capm and I decided to collaborate on a project, and the result of that unholy union is Watch Out for Fireballs!, which is a twice-monthly retro games podcast. For each episode, we pick a game and invite the audience to play along. Our first show was about Mega Man X, and it just went up today.

Our next show is going to be about MYST, and you're more than welcome to play along. Our hook is that the best commenter each week wins a copy of the next episode's game, which is pretty neat.

Here's the requisite link soup.

Site
iTunes
Facebook

We're really gunning to get into the New and Noteworthy section of the Games and Hobbies page on iTunes, so any stars you can throw our way would help out. Also, feedback is nice.

End shameless self promotion.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
I just recorded my first two-mic podcast using XLR mics and a mixer. But I'm loud to the point of clipping and my co-host is pretty quiet, yet on the headphones while recording we sounded about even. Is there some kind of test that you guys use to set up multiple mics? My only idea is recording a bit to watch the levels and adjust accordingly.

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009

reflex posted:

I just recorded my first two-mic podcast using XLR mics and a mixer. But I'm loud to the point of clipping and my co-host is pretty quiet, yet on the headphones while recording we sounded about even. Is there some kind of test that you guys use to set up multiple mics? My only idea is recording a bit to watch the levels and adjust accordingly.

I suggest buying a Compressor/Limiter ONLY for the power of limiting. I recently bought one and boy does it make a HUGE difference. Being able to be excited and loud without worrying is mighty awesome!

This is my new studio! 3 mics, 1 mixer, 2 computers, 1 MIDI controller, 1 compresser/limiter and 3 tables (for stability). The new place I moved to has an extra soundproof room for my dedicated studio! It's amazing. I just need to work on the echo problem I'm having.

Once again, as I whore myself, here is my website :-) http://www.wedgeradio.net/

Oh! I am thinking of making a streaming site for podcasts that is on a regular schedule, so if anybody knows a good way to stream for free, I'm thinking of Winamp, I'd much appreciate it. Also, is anybody interested in joining in on this podcast adventure? I hope to start with a few different shows a night and my show will fill in the void. The only thing is that the show should be at least end on the hour or thirty minute mark. Email me if anyone is interested. Wedge(at)WedgeRadio(dot)net

WedgeRadio fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 11, 2011

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
Where is a good place to look for public domain instrument samples?

I'm pretty jealous of your setup. I'm using a macbook, a Snowball, and a blanket fort built around my laundry-drying rack.

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009

THE LUMMOX posted:

Where is a good place to look for public domain instrument samples?

I'm pretty jealous of your setup. I'm using a macbook, a Snowball, and a blanket fort built around my laundry-drying rack.

It's been 5 years and a lot of money I've put in over time. Usually in 100 Dollar increments.

mcsnitches
Oct 26, 2010

WedgeRadio posted:

I suggest buying a Compressor/Limiter ONLY for the power of limiting. I recently bought one and boy does it make a HUGE difference. Being able to be excited and loud without worrying is mighty awesome!

That is a godly setup my fellow podder.

This is ours:

The funny part is, these mics don't work.

wolf13
Oct 21, 2006
As Goddimus stated earlier, we started a new podcast called Nerd Caravan. We just released our 11th episode! I went to the wikidot page and created an account, so now we just need authorization to edit I guess. I did not, however, see a place to apply. Anyone know how I can get approved so we can join in the goon glory?

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
I just realized my mixer is having no effect on the garageband recording. I can twiddle every knob, turn the gain all the way down, all the way up, and it has no effect on sound quality. I can hear the difference on my headphones, which are plugged into the mixer, but garageband records everything the same. The only problem I can think of is I'm connecting the mixer to my macbook pro from the 2-track output, which is the cable I have. Any ideas?

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009

reflex posted:

I just realized my mixer is having no effect on the garageband recording. I can twiddle every knob, turn the gain all the way down, all the way up, and it has no effect on sound quality. I can hear the difference on my headphones, which are plugged into the mixer, but garageband records everything the same. The only problem I can think of is I'm connecting the mixer to my macbook pro from the 2-track output, which is the cable I have. Any ideas?

Try turning down the recording level on your computer.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

I just posted this in the comedy podcast thread but I wanted to share it here, too.

The 2011 Lou Reads Live Event!

Yeah, its long.

mcsnitches
Oct 26, 2010
New Episode

We're slowly making improvements to the show, very slowly. However now we've moved into Vodcasting as well as audio.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

I'll share mine, I guess, just to get some unbiased feedback.

A friend of mine and I have been doing a podcast for about a year called The Library Police about reading, writing, and books in general. We seem to be doing okay - my friend who runs the downloads and the iTunes links says we have about 1000 downloads a week these days, which I hope he's telling the truth about.

Recently we've gotten to interview a few of our favorite authors, and episodes about different authors have even been linked to/tweeted about by those authors, which has been kind of a thrill. So it seems (from the inside) like it's going well...would you guys mind listening to a few and giving me some feedback?

You can browse the whole show archives on my website here; we're also up on iTunes, although it only has the past few.

I hope I did this all right - some browsing of the thread makes this seem like it's the right way to do it...

EDIT: We also did an episode recently for a writer's conference in which we talked about how we set up our podcast, some of the equipment we used, promoting it, the importance of editing, and all that kinds of stuff. I don't know if it would be useful for anyone or if we're idiots, but it's in the archives - it's episode 41.

ClydeUmney fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 22, 2011

down beat
Jul 11, 2002
I'm still confused about using music in podcasts. Legally anything that's not podsafe, you're not suppose to use. I'm assuming it's not itunes or sponsors that care but whoever owns the rights to a song. Is it just a matter of them finding out and caring enough to do something about it? There's a few different songs I want to use like 15-45 seconds of to transition between segments and I don't think these particular artists would really care (but then sometimes its about the label caring).

I know Joe Rogan use to play all kinds of music and only stopped because his episodes would get replayed on Sirius.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Collias posted:

I'm still confused about using music in podcasts. Legally anything that's not podsafe, you're not suppose to use. I'm assuming it's not itunes or sponsors that care but whoever owns the rights to a song. Is it just a matter of them finding out and caring enough to do something about it? There's a few different songs I want to use like 15-45 seconds of to transition between segments and I don't think these particular artists would really care (but then sometimes its about the label caring).

I know Joe Rogan use to play all kinds of music and only stopped because his episodes would get replayed on Sirius.

Basically it depends on how serious you want to get. UYD uses all kinds of songs without permission. Risk! uses songs and then lists all the songs at the end of the show and on the blog. Maybe thats enough to slide by on? I'd say 99% of podcasts do. I only switched to a piece of licensed music because RedditRadio demanded it. Who knows how many people I even get from that service... All in all I'd say not to sweat it at all. It doesn't matter unless you get big. And if you get big then it probably won't matter, either.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

WedgeRadio posted:

This is my new studio! 3 mics, 1 mixer, 2 computers, 1 MIDI controller, 1 compresser/limiter and 3 tables (for stability). The new place I moved to has an extra soundproof room for my dedicated studio! It's amazing. I just need to work on the echo problem I'm having.

Once again, as I whore myself, here is my website :-) http://www.wedgeradio.net/

Oh! I am thinking of making a streaming site for podcasts that is on a regular schedule, so if anybody knows a good way to stream for free, I'm thinking of Winamp, I'd much appreciate it. Also, is anybody interested in joining in on this podcast adventure? I hope to start with a few different shows a night and my show will fill in the void. The only thing is that the show should be at least end on the hour or thirty minute mark. Email me if anyone is interested. Wedge(at)WedgeRadio(dot)net

Have you ever come across Mac drivers for the 1002b? I figure that would be the problem but the only drivers on Behringer's website is for Windows.

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009
I pretty much do everything analogue and then through my M-Audio interface turn it all digital.

As for music, ASCAP is really annoying and not even worth trying to work with. I'm trying to build a musical library by musical guests and ask to use their non-copyrighted music. Then you'll have a decent library somewhat quickly. I'm still in the beginning stage of that though. I don't know too many bands.

WedgeRadio fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 23, 2011

jxfallout
Jul 3, 2010

WedgeRadio posted:

I pretty much do everything analogue and then through my M-Audio interface turn it all digital.

As for music, ASCAP is really annoying and not even worth trying to work with. I'm trying to build a musical library by musical guests and ask to use their non-copyrighted music. Then you'll have a decent library somewhat quickly. I'm still in the beginning stage of that though. I don't know too many bands.

I used to do a campus radio show dedicated to music that was put out by musicians/bands for free. Here's some sources that I used for material (I imagine some could help you or anyone else out as well):

http://www.jamendo.com/en/

http://freemusicarchive.org/

http://freealbums.blogsome.com/

http://www.clearbits.net/

http://netlabels.org/

http://www.archive.org/details/netlabels

http://www.archive.org/details/audio_music

http://www.blocsonic.com/

And for shits and giggles, here's my old blog for the show:

http://freeloaderradio.blogspot.com/

This is actually perfect timing, as I've been toying with the idea of bringing the show back in podcast format... :)

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Well I got another email from dreamhost saying someone hacked my site and dumped some weirdo code in some file in a folder. I don't know if they actually managed to do anything to the site. I haven't gotten any complaints or notices. So lame... Definitely not the same defaced code that I saw before.

Sigh...

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Collias posted:

You'll get away with it for a long long time. I think all of us have a long way to go before getting the attention of anyone in authority. Smodcast used to use a lot of licensed music too. They only stopped around 90 episodes in and they were already huge.

Also, I imagine the worst thing that could happen would be a cease and desist letter. So you can put the decision off.

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009

The Capm posted:

You'll get away with it for a long long time. I think all of us have a long way to go before getting the attention of anyone in authority. Smodcast used to use a lot of licensed music too. They only stopped around 90 episodes in and they were already huge.

Also, I imagine the worst thing that could happen would be a cease and desist letter. So you can put the decision off.

I was hanging with Doug from the morning show this morning at X103.9 FM and he told me the same thing. His words, "Don't give a gently caress, worse thing you'll get is a cease and desist."

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

WedgeRadio posted:

I was hanging with Doug from the morning show this morning at X103.9 FM and he told me the same thing. His words, "Don't give a gently caress, worse thing you'll get is a cease and desist."

I use music during our live shows, but I'll edit them out when I post the recorded versions. For our record shows I tend to use really obscure stuff, mostly music from games not too many people have heard of. I need to make a point to use music from local bands we like. So far they've been pretty cool about letting us do that.

down beat
Jul 11, 2002
I'm just worried about the inconvenience about having to maybe lose some episodes or go back and edit. How does that work with podcasts anyway? Since you can go back and listen to older episodes. You can still download those episodes with the music.

I found a band that has a clear stance of being podsafe, and I actually like them!

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007
I'm thinking about getting a podcast going myself, but I have literally zero equipment currently. What's a good starter setup to get clean sound? I've listened to podcasts where they only have one mike and many guests; I can't stand that even if the content is good so obviously more than one mike is a necessity.

Any FAQs or other resources you guys can recommend?

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

It would be good if we created a how-to thread in RGD to help get people started, as this question comes up fairly often in this thread. There are very few good resources out there, and I feel like we have enough collective experience among us to come up with something fairly definitive.

My favorite source is the Hivelogic Podcasting Equipment Guide. Dan points out a lot of expensive, high-end stuff, but also mentions several affordable mics. On that same track, the defunct 5by5 show The Mixdown is a good resource for general audio and video information. I recommend watching the video version, since some of this stuff is best-conveyed visually.

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009
Good News Everybody! Hopefully, if things go well, I will have started the Wedge Radio Network! I'm in talks with a couple comedians to do a show once a week in my studio!

Here's a video of what my studio looks like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U04yeKAc2qQ

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Skype doesn't have a record function as far as I know, so I wanted to ask what free program would be good for recording online conversations? I spent some time on Google but couldn't find any.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

When I've been a guest on other podcasts sometimes they do talk to me via Skype but I also run Audacity simultaneously. Then when I am done I can just send them an mp3 of our recording. Its sounds so much better than skype.

Another option I used to use, if you're on a Mac, is called Audio Hijack. http://www.rogueamoeba.com/audiohijackpro/

you just point it at what app you want to steal the audio from and it does it. I used to use it constantly in the days before iTunes to rip streaming audio like Real Media. Yes, its been around that long and yes I bought it.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I can vouch for Audio Hijack Pro being legitimate. I've never regretted a software purchase less.

Pamela is a good solution on the Windows side, from what I understand.

Goddimus
Nov 27, 2000

Song For The Deaf posted:

I can vouch for Audio Hijack Pro being legitimate. I've never regretted a software purchase less.

Pamela is a good solution on the Windows side, from what I understand.

We use Pamela for Nerd Caravan and, while not free, it isn't terribly expensive. It is pretty easy to use and we haven't had too much in the way of problems with it.

Spekkio
Sep 23, 2005

Really satisfying music!
Just wanted to throw another Goon Podcast into the mix.

http://loveperthhateperth.com

A podcast about 4 blokes living in the most isolated city in Australia.

a47danger
Oct 16, 2006

Biker Fox Smoothie
Oh boy. Finally, a place to put shots of my equipment. And then my mixer.

I've been putting on this show for four years or something:

http://mustacherangers.com

And just started up this podcast and the podcasting network around it:

http://noisepicnic.com/category/podcasts/betterstrangers

Never thought to look for a podcasting topic on SA. I was too busing complaining about video games.

aniero
Oct 11, 2009

Just launched a new show called Re:Fresh for a gaming network that some friends and I started up. I've been hosting a show about online gaming for a little over 5 years, but this show has a much wider scope so I guess I feel less...um, let's say self-conscious, about sharing this show as opposed to my past shows. So, it's a general talk show with a heavy emphasis on video gaming (it is a gaming network), and hip-hop (in terms of production and music). Everything else is whatever we feel like talking about. We're only on our 4th episode but starting to find our groove.

Here's the link: http://radio.gamerescape.com/category/refresh/feed/

Any feedback would be appreciated.

a47danger
Oct 16, 2006

Biker Fox Smoothie

Soulcleaver posted:

Skype doesn't have a record function as far as I know, so I wanted to ask what free program would be good for recording online conversations? I spent some time on Google but couldn't find any.

I was using PrettyMay for Windows to record my Skype calls before. It records the host in the right channel and the caller in the left. I recorded myself in Audacity and took out the right channel to make things a little cleaner.

Now I have a fancy shmancy mixer, so I can record myself in on channel and route the Skype audio to another so I can record it all within my Ableton software. Much nicer and cleaner solution, but a lot pricier than a bit of software.

Goddimus
Nov 27, 2000

My brother and I just unveiled our new intro on our show. What do you guys think? http://www.itsnotyours.com/NerdCaravanIntro.mp3

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009
Hey Fellers! We had an Amazing Halloween Episode and I feel it's a high caliber romp!

3 Hours, 2 Comedians, and 1 Musical Guest!

http://m.podshow.com/media/25699/episodes/300559/wedgeradioshow-300559-10-28-2011.mp3

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Hey everyone, I'd like to get feedback on my podcast. It's about pro wrestling, so be warned.

Saturday Night Curtain Jerkers

Note: I go as rear end Dan.

WedgeRadio
Jan 20, 2009

CaptainYesterday posted:

Hey everyone, I'd like to get feedback on my podcast. It's about pro wrestling, so be warned.

Saturday Night Curtain Jerkers

Note: I go as rear end Dan.

I'm not into wrestling, but, and to be brutally honest, I found myself getting lost. Perhaps letting people in on the lingo at the beginning before getting more into what you're talking about. Example: "So, (Acronym), which is (Acronym's Meaning) for those who don't know..."

I'd suggest it to appeal to new people. I may be wrong and an idiot for my lack of knowledge of the subject.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!
Hey gang, I haven't posted in here since the first page, but I've been following along quietly in the wings!

I'm still co-hosting the Bloody Good Horror Podcast. Up to Episode 186, still going strong!

In the meantime though, I've started 2 new podcast's that I think are off to a good start and thought I'd share.

The first one is the Dad and his Weird Friends Podcast which is dedicated to genre books. There's two eps out now, The Name of the Wind and Ready Player One.

The second is 1951 Down Place which is dedicated to Hammer movies! (The old British horror movie studio from the 50's)

I've found a lot of great new podcasts that've made my regular download list from this thread! Good job Goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow Dance Chubby
Apr 1, 2008
I co-host a weekly radio show using my university's recording studio.

http://www.mixcloud.com/thanks-babe/

It's called Thanks, Babe and is a 3 man show with a different guest each week. We shoot the poo poo about current events, entertainment and world news, and anything else going on in our lives. Since we broadcast after 6pm, we aren't restricted to what language we use or subject matter we have, so things aren't generally PC.

Slow Dance Chubby fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 23, 2011