Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Finally made the call to keep the much loved 06 and the new job allows me to garage the car for a few months. Poor car needs a bit of love and attention now - I can sense a project thread coming on. Just how fast can I make the car go without modifying the engine / ECU?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

TWiNKiE posted:

3) Similar to #2, how many TPMS slots are in the ECM? I prefer to run summer and winter tires, and the precious ECM in my Lancer has four slots. So, I have to get my tires swapped out twice a year so my dash display doesn't bitch at me -- or I could get another set of wheels and sensors, and have the dealer charge me $200 to reflash the ECM every time.

Subaru isn't that ridiculous with the computer control. You're more free to do what you want. And there are open source alternatives to program the ECU for tuning the engine.
Here is a good solution for the TPMS issue
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-second-generation/328044-diy-tpms-canister-pipe-bomb.html

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

chrisgt posted:

Subaru isn't that ridiculous with the computer control. You're more free to do what you want. And there are open source alternatives to program the ECU for tuning the engine.
Here is a good solution for the TPMS issue
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-second-generation/328044-diy-tpms-canister-pipe-bomb.html

That's not a solution to the TMPS issue because the sensors don't turn on and start transmitting unless the wheel starts rotating.

And no, there's no open source alternative to reprogramming the TPMS on Subarus. There are 4 slots and you have to either get the dealer reflash for 4 new sensors twice a year, get something like the [url="http://www.tpmsoutlet.com/at-tpmquickset.aspx"ATEQ TMPS Quickset Tool[/url] to do it yourself, or just ignore the light on the cluster like many do.

But it is silly easy to replace the stock stereo system if you don't get the GPS. It's just a double DIN unit.

As far as stock issues, I've heard they are really low right now and what he said may be accurate. I know last year, before there was an earthquake, I ordered on September 16th and got my car on October 28th. I could easily see another month or so of lead time added on there due to the earthquake and I even got my car fast compared to a lot of other people at the time. I only waited 7 weeks for it when they actually told me 8-10 at the time.

zantar
Jul 30, 2002

BoostCreep posted:

Does anyone happen to know a site that lists the production numbers of cars? I'm trying to find out how many 2008 Forester Sports 2.5XT's were made and can't for the life of me get an accurate number. The closest I can find is some guy on the Forester forums claiming only 500 were made with 200 being manual, but I'd obviously like a slightly more trustworthy source. I tried cars101.com, Wikipedia, and google searches and I'm coming up empty.

You could try emailing the guy at cars101?

TWiNKiE
Nov 18, 2002

Daah, I heard that!

bull3964 posted:

do it yourself, or just ignore the light on the cluster like many do.
I'm okay with throwing down $150 for a tool like that, and I'm not really interested in doing much else with the computer, other than normal "lock my doors after X seconds, turn off my headlights after X minutes" type things that even bone stock Chryslers let you do from the overhead compass display.

quote:

But it is silly easy to replace the stock stereo system if you don't get the GPS. It's just a double DIN unit.
That's what I figured when I test drove one. It came with the navi package, but the maps on my Lancer were outdated before I drove it off the lot, and Mitsubishi isn't remotely interested in selling updates -- so I'm not sure I want to get stuck with the same situation on a new car. Not to mention that the radio itself is a flaming piece of poo poo for something made in 2009 (no RDS on FM, no Sirius traffic integration...). This is the only car I've had since 1992 that I haven't replaced the radio in, and the only reason is because I paid $2,000 for the loving thing.

quote:

As far as stock issues, I've heard they are really low right now and what he said may be accurate. I know last year, before there was an earthquake, I ordered on September 16th and got my car on October 28th. I could easily see another month or so of lead time added on there due to the earthquake and I even got my car fast compared to a lot of other people at the time. I only waited 7 weeks for it when they actually told me 8-10 at the time.
I'm not in a major rush, but it seemed kind of odd to me that the dealer would try to get me to pay MSRP on a 2011 when I thought I had made it apparent that I'd buy the car on the spot if he'd take anything off of the guaranteed VIP price on a 2012.

I guess I'm just contrasting the experience with three years ago, when Subaru and Mitsubishi dealers would whisk me over to their desks, show me invoice pricing, and say I could have whatever I wanted for $500 over invoice.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

BoostCreep posted:

Does anyone happen to know a site that lists the production numbers of cars? I'm trying to find out how many 2008 Forester Sports 2.5XT's were made and can't for the life of me get an accurate number. The closest I can find is some guy on the Forester forums claiming only 500 were made with 200 being manual, but I'd obviously like a slightly more trustworthy source. I tried cars101.com, Wikipedia, and google searches and I'm coming up empty.

I was looking for the same information with the 2008 Outback XT's with manual transmissions today, but didn't come up with much.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Terminus Est posted:

Picking up a 20 liter barrel of Subaru extra s Saturday for my 08 LGT. :pervert: $150 bucks for it all.

Anyone need some? It'll take me years to go through it all.

I know its a few pages back, but are you willing to part with enough for a trans and diff service for a 02 WRX? For a fee of course.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
If that doesn't work out you can buy Extra S on Fred Beans. They also sell it as part of their 30k/60k/90k maintenance packages, but I don't know if they sell those for 2002 WRXs.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

drat it, someone clued me into this....

http://www.ner.org/rally/rdral/event/20111022_graveyard-shift

Time to rebuild my jeep and redo my RS's suspension before the end of october. And get my Dakota Dash speedo converter working for accurate ODO.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

TWiNKiE posted:

I'm okay with throwing down $150 for a tool like that, and I'm not really interested in doing much else with the computer, other than normal "lock my doors after X seconds, turn off my headlights after X minutes" type things that even bone stock Chryslers let you do from the overhead compass display.

Them there fancy rear end options don't exist on the Impreza. Headlights go off with the key and doors don't lock unless you tell them too.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
If the TMPS light really bothers you that much, I've seen some people slip a black piece of plastic under the dash cover to block it out.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Slow is Fast posted:

Time to rebuild my jeep and redo my RS's suspension before the end of october. And get my Dakota Dash speedo converter working for accurate ODO.

Where are you at again? I'm in milford, MA for the next few weeks for job training. Could use some advice on what's fun to do out here aside from get drunk in the hotel.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I have a question: How are people get passed Emissions these days? Are there setups where the ODB2 computer stuff won't kick an check engine light when you have no Cats?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Amandyke posted:

Where are you at again? I'm in milford, MA for the next few weeks for job training. Could use some advice on what's fun to do out here aside from get drunk in the hotel.

I'm in Maine :haw:

TWiNKiE
Nov 18, 2002

Daah, I heard that!

bull3964 posted:

Them there fancy rear end options don't exist on the Impreza. Headlights go off with the key and doors don't lock unless you tell them too.
Not as fancy as power to all four wheels. :)

blargle posted:

If the TMPS light really bothers you that much, I've seen some people slip a black piece of plastic under the dash cover to block it out.
The rationale for me is:

1) Although I do my own routine maintenance and check my pressure regularly, I actually like TPMS, and want it functional.

2) I haven't seen if it's just a light on the WRX, but on the Lancer, the center display between the speedometer and tachometer turns yellow, bitches about tire pressure, and intermittently sounds a warning chime for about five miles. And there's a dash light on top of that.

3) Since I'll most likely take delivery in the winter in Detroit, the summer tires it comes with aren't going to be very useful to me. It messes with my head for my brand new car to start bitching like something's broken before I get it to my driveway.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's just a light on the WRX. It flashes for 20 seconds or so and just stays on. It's really no more eye catching than the headlight or foglight light.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Slow is Fast posted:

Uggh, I want to do it but at the same time I don't want to do it. My friend and I did the Winter Challenge TSD Rally in my rally Focus a while back. The first phase was a puzzle rally, where the instructions were all cryptic. We hosed up big time early on and took like 30 min to figure out where we were. We did the rest of that phase blind, with no checkpoints to reassure us that we were still on track. We managed to not screw up after that, and got back into town like 2 hours after everyone else. Which basically prevented us from going into the next phase, a map-only rally overnight that would have been faster and more fun.

Amandyke posted:

Boston is an hour away but that's where most stuff will be. The metro west area is a desert.

Factory Five's hq is an hour away as well, if you wanted to check things out. But I suppose your training is work hours.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

toplitzin posted:

I know its a few pages back, but are you willing to part with enough for a trans and diff service for a 02 WRX? For a fee of course.

Absolutely. Shoot me an email at adam.jacob.love by way of gmail. I have about 12 quarts of the stuff left and just got my bottles in the mail. 10 bucks a quart is at cost for me(7.50 oil 2.50 bottle).

I'm in southern Washington close to hood river if you happen to be local.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Well I'm just about ready to order all the parts to bring my '02 back from the dead:

Damage Fix:
Crank - Either getting a new one or cutting mine (this is the only undecided item, there's a new one on nasioc for cheap)
Honing Tool
Main/Rod Bearing Set
One new/used rod (my #3 is ugly)

Refreshing Motor:
Piston Rings
Complete OE Lower Gasket Set
Water pump, Thermostat
Idlers, Tensioner, Timing Belt

Upgrade:
Group N Mounts

Looking like a $1300 fix. :sigh: Lot of money for not upgrading much :sigh: However I will essentially be running on a brand new motor.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Anyone running a turbo blanket on a stock turbo? I can really tell when the TMIC gets heat soaked on a hot day.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Haven't posted in here for a while so I figured I would come say hi and share what I have been working on:

2006 Outback XT, for those interested:

Engine:
- Cobb Accessport
- K&N Drop In Filter
- Nameless Performance AxleBack prototype (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC2uBmWtJtQ)

Suspension:
-Factory Legacy GT wagon suspension
-Legacy GT bumpstops
-Rotiform 18x8.5" +39
-Continental ExtremeContact DW 245/45-18

Interior:
-STRI SLM-II 30psi Boost Gauge
-JSC Cubby Pod

Exterior:
-5% tint
-6000k HID's
-Nokya Yellow Fog Bulbs
-Lamin-x yellow fog light film
-Red Tail Light film

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Is the following part from RockAuto a set or a single motor mount?
ANCHOR Part # 9023 [Private Label Package] (Only 1 Remaining)
w/ DOHC & AWD; Front Left
w/ DOHC & AWD; Front Right

It's approx. $30, so I'm not sure how many I need to buy.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

daslog posted:

I have a question: How are people get passed Emissions these days? Are there setups where the ODB2 computer stuff won't kick an check engine light when you have no Cats?

Either live in a no emissions state or keep your stock exhaust setup and drop it in every year to pass inspection.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

toplitzin posted:

Is the following part from RockAuto a set or a single motor mount?
ANCHOR Part # 9023 [Private Label Package] (Only 1 Remaining)
w/ DOHC & AWD; Front Left
w/ DOHC & AWD; Front Right

It's approx. $30, so I'm not sure how many I need to buy.

the rubberized mount part is the same left and right, the mounting plate is different (which you'll be able to re-use). For $30 I'd guess you're only getting one.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I am pretty sure an aftermarket ecu flash will disable the check engine light for some emissions stuff as well.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

sanchez posted:

I am pretty sure an aftermarket ecu flash will disable the check engine light for some emissions stuff as well.
I'm interested to know if any companies actually do this. It seems like something that would be illegal to produce, but it might get by on the typical "off-road only" disclaimer like O2 simulators, which could prevent that CEL.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

sanchez posted:

I'm pretty sure the stuff they use to do emissions here can detect that.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I bought a new 2011 Outback near the end of July and have since put on enough miles to warrant an oil change. Reading in my owners manual I learned there is a gasket around the oil drain plug that needs to be replaced at every oil change so I spoke with my dealer about it and they gave me 5 gaskets for free.

This afternoon I was all psyched to change the oil and get on with my day. The oil was drained without issue, I grabbed the drain plug and a new gasket, looked at how the old gasket was on and poo poo got real. The gaskets I were given are too drat big. The original crush gasket is 16mm and the replacements I was given are big enough that the original gasket can fit inside them! My dealer's closed for the day and my mechanic is out of town. I called the nearest Napa and they said they had the gasket I needed so I ran in there only to learn the gaskets they had are the same size as the replacements given to me by my dealer.

Is this some sort of recognized issue? I have a hard time believing I'm the first person to change the oil in a 2011 Outback and find out the replacement gasket is too big. Or am I retarded? It seems like there was a typo from Subaru and these huge gaskets got sent to parts departments.

Here are some pictures to (hopefully) prove I'm not crazy.

New gasket on left, old gasket on right.
http://imgur.com/VOYNt

Old gasket inside new gasket.
http://imgur.com/p1ILV

Old gasket fitting around drain plug.
http://imgur.com/CJjA4

New gasket fitting around drain plug.
http://imgur.com/9ubIC

I guess I'm just poo poo out of luck and my car's going to sit in my garage until I can figure something out tomorrow morning once the dealership's parts department opens. I'm really stressing about this because I'm moving across the state Tuesday and I really don't want to deal with something this stupid on top of getting everything in order for me to move.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 11, 2011

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Just use the old one, as long as you didn't mangle it I doubt it'll leak. My jeep had a similar sort of drain plug, I never replaced the gasket over 80,000 miles and it was fine.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

sanchez posted:

Just use the old one, as long as you didn't mangle it I doubt it'll leak.

It's not mangled, but it's pretty flat. That won't affect the seal?

zantar
Jul 30, 2002
you aren't retarded but you shouldn't be stressing over this little thing. Maybe they gave you an OLD size - since you have a brand new car, maybe the plug changed? Bring the plug to NAPA - they should have other sizes available.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
I also vote to just use the old one. Make sure to check for leaks when you start it up, but I highly doubt a drain plug gasket that is only a couple thousand miles old will give you problems.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
just re-use it.

does the plug still take a 17mm wrench? If so they gave you the wrong part.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I looks like they may have given you the transmission drain plug gasket by mistake.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

jamal posted:

just re-use it.

does the plug still take a 17mm wrench? If so they gave you the wrong part.

The drain plug came off with a 9/16" socket...

So re-using it wouldn't be too much of an issue? My only apprehension about this is the owner's manual and the dealer both seem adamant about changing it out. It'll make a good seal even though it's already been crushed down on its initial use?

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Wildtortilla posted:

So re-using it wouldn't be too much of an issue? My only apprehension about this is the owner's manual and the dealer both seem adamant about changing it out. It'll make a good seal even though it's already been crushed down on its initial use?

If it doesn't seal, which would blow my mind, then just change it out. I think you're blowing this way out of proportion. It's not the rear main seal, it's a drain plug.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Get a Fumoto drain valve. No more dealing with drain plugs and crush washers.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Splinter posted:

Get a Fumoto drain valve. No more dealing with drain plugs and crush washers.

Agreeing with this. I just bought one for my Mini and it's going in when I change my oil this week

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

daslog posted:

If you're in an OBD2-only state (no sniffer) you'll pass with CEL suppression via Open Source or Cobb or whatever flash you use. I'm PA 'legal' with no cats... and soon I won't have TGV or any of that other crap either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Thats funny but lovely about the oil drain plug washer because the first time I changed the oil on my new STi they gave me the small washers and I had to go back for the larger ones.