Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
So I should do a hard reset since that is the first thing they will try anyway, and if that doesn't work, take it to a Sprint store? Or should I just go to the store first since they won't trust my hard reset and want to do it themselves?

And it can't be a third party ("Sprint Store by [Wireless Lifestyle or whatever]") store, correct? It must be listed as "Sprint Store" in the location finder right?

edit: there's also the issue of the fact that it isn't really predictable. As I said sometimes it just works fine for hours on end, but that doesn't make it any less outrageous that, at completely random times when I really do need my phone, it heats up and goes into a reboot cycle, sometimes for a couple cycles, sometimes until I pull out the battery.

So what happens when I show up to the store, the dude does a hard reset, everything is "fine" and he waves me off, and then I go home and it loving restarts out of nowhere?

edit2: I am mad at the phone and my dread of customer service. You guys have been real great, this thread rocks.

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

yellowjournalism posted:

So I should do a hard reset since that is the first thing they will try anyway, and if that doesn't work, take it to a Sprint store?
You should do a hard reset first since that might solve the problem, avoiding the need to go to the store at all.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That and the benefit of being a Real Customer and being able to take advantage of AmazonWirelss/Best Buy upgrade deals and no mail in rebates, when those start happening again.

Sprint has mail in rebates for most phones again, exception being 3D and photon. Only $50 now, not $100.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Evo 3d toilet test: failed.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

change my name posted:

Evo 3d toilet test: failed.

Well that is one thing my iPhone passed, don't plan on validating your Evo 3D results

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Alman posted:

Well that is one thing my iPhone passed, don't plan on validating your Evo 3D results

I'm really trying not to read too much into this...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-files-suit-block-proposed-att-and-t-mobile-transaction

Sprint is suing AT&T to block the merge with T-Mo. I thought that was already blocked by the DoJ.

Sprint says that if the merge goes through, AT&T would control too much of the wireless in the US and would diminish quality for customers.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-files-suit-block-proposed-att-and-t-mobile-transaction

Sprint is suing AT&T to block the merge with T-Mo. I thought that was already blocked by the DoJ.

Sprint says that if the merge goes through, AT&T would control too much of the wireless in the US and would diminish quality for customers.
The whole thing is pretty crazy. I don't even know what's going on anymore.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

brc64 posted:

I'm really trying not to read too much into this...

Sorry, should have been more specific. I had the iPhone 4 back when I was on AT&T (obviously not anymore), dropped it in the toilet one drunken evening, and worked fine afterwards, only noticeable damage was the water damage strip being red. I don't plan on making the same mistake and testing out what he said happened to his EVO.

torb main fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 7, 2011

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Who cares, I'll take it to the sprint office at the school tomorrow and put in for another one.

Of course for insurance purposes, it fell in a "puddle"

change my name fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 7, 2011

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Ummmm my phone just booted into the bootloader screen with the skateboarding androids? What the gently caress? Did I drop my phone into a hacker's toilet

Awwww snap, it's working again but the screen's flickering like poo poo

And now it's perfect again! THANK YOU 3D JESUS

change my name fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 7, 2011

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Alman posted:

Sorry, should have been more specific. I had the iPhone 4 back when I was on AT&T (obviously not anymore), dropped it in the toilet one drunken evening, and worked fine afterwards, only noticeable damage was the water damage strip being red. I don't plan on making the same mistake and testing out what he said happened to his EVO.
Sure, "back when you were AT&T", I get it. ;)

Tomorrow's headline: EMPLOYEE ADMITS TO FLUSHING SPRINT iPHONE DOWN TOILET

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

brc64 posted:

Sure, "back when you were AT&T", I get it. ;)

Tomorrow's headline: EMPLOYEE ADMITS TO FLUSHING SPRINT iPHONE DOWN TOILET

I searched that home in San Francisco with the fake Apple police too :ssh:

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
Every time my phones have gone wonky, I just call up Sprint and tell them to give me an advanced exchange. They send you a refurb overnight, which you normally get the next day, and then you just put your old phone in the return envelope they provide. You don't have to deal with morons at the store, in fact, you don't ever have to leave your house. And I've never been charged for it, no matter how long I've had the phone.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Alman posted:

There's a Dilbert for everything:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Just got an airrave (one week after requesting one at my new apartment) and am having problems getting it working. When I plug it like this:
cable modem > airrave > router , my router doesn't work
cable modem > router > airrave , the airrave doesnt work.

Do I need to go the first way and gently caress with router settings for a while?

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

mastershakeman posted:

Just got an airrave (one week after requesting one at my new apartment) and am having problems getting it working. When I plug it like this:

Do I need to go the first way and gently caress with router settings for a while?

If you don't care about setting a static IP and are fine with your router assigning one randomly just set it up modem router airave. If that doesn't work you may need to set it up modem airave just to log in and change its configuration. There's a pretty good guide on how to do this floating around. I'll try to find it when I get to a computer if no one beats me to it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

It takes 4 hours to program initially FYI. Plug it up and let it sit.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
Here's the setup instructions for the Airave: http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/59464

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Can someone give me a script for my sister to read to Sprint in order for them to either fix her phone or get her a new one? She has TEP and has been to the Sprint store twice and called Sprint a couple of times regarding the fuckery her Evo Shift has been up to since the update back in June, and they refuse to replace it.

They just factory reset and send her on her way, still having it randomly kicking to the HTC screen and opening apps of it's own will. They said they won't do anything until she's been to the store about it four times (apparently it's to do with CA lemon laws?) and it's tough for her to find the time to go down there just to waste it. I think it's ridiculous they won't replace it considering she has TEP and it's not even something her fault, but I don't know what to tell her to tell them to get them moving.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bobula posted:

Can someone give me a script for my sister to read to Sprint in order for them to either fix her phone or get her a new one? She has TEP and has been to the Sprint store twice and called Sprint a couple of times regarding the fuckery her Evo Shift has been up to since the update back in June, and they refuse to replace it.

They just factory reset and send her on her way, still having it randomly kicking to the HTC screen and opening apps of it's own will. They said they won't do anything until she's been to the store about it four times (apparently it's to do with CA lemon laws?) and it's tough for her to find the time to go down there just to waste it. I think it's ridiculous they won't replace it considering she has TEP and it's not even something her fault, but I don't know what to tell her to tell them to get them moving.

Give her the retentions number, have her bitch them out. When they asked are toy satisfied, say no until its fixed.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
I found some videos about Network Vision:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp_jpIdr_uw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C-3xm4HFLA

Nothing we don't really already know about, but I'm taking this as a hopeful sign that it'll start rolling out soon.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
Oh man, I can't believe they uploaded that to Youtube. My coworker and I were making fun of how Bioshock the voiceover dude sounds like, I can't believe there wasn't someone better to do that

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Samsung seems pretty intent on promoting the epic touch, they are offering a free touch to any indirect employee that sells 5 of them in a month ish timeframe. Crazy promo.

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.
Just have her be like "I have TEP and need an Advanced Exchange, could you open up an e-ticket for me please? :smug:"

Shadowmage
Apr 28, 2006
What's currently the best $40/mo SERO Plus 3G phone for Sprint? The OP is slightly out of date. The new Motorola XPRT looks pretty good but I obviously can't find any cheap used models since it just came out. What other options do I have?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Ugh, so I guess I'm throwing 100 bucks down the toilet for a new phone, how lovely. For some reason I thought the deductible was only 50.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Duckman2008 posted:

Samsung seems pretty intent on promoting the epic touch, they are offering a free touch to any indirect employee that sells 5 of them in a month ish timeframe. Crazy promo.
Yeah my wife is planning to push it until she sells 5 so she can get one :v:

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Duckman2008 posted:

That's pretty cool. Good luck!

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Eyecannon posted:

Every time my phones have gone wonky, I just call up Sprint and tell them to give me an advanced exchange. They send you a refurb overnight, which you normally get the next day, and then you just put your old phone in the return envelope they provide. You don't have to deal with morons at the store, in fact, you don't ever have to leave your house. And I've never been charged for it, no matter how long I've had the phone.

Which number do you call? Are you on SERO? The store is kind of a ways away and I all the reviews say the customer service is horrible.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

That's pretty cool. Good luck!

Ha I am currently unemployed since I am moving to philly tomorrow and my job in Nashville doesn't have stores there. I have a potential phone interview tomorrow and a backup indirect sprint interview next week. Fingers crossed.

Only bummer about not getting an epic touch is missing out on the awesome resell value of it :)

Shadowmage posted:

What's currently the best $40/mo SERO Plus 3G phone for Sprint? The OP is slightly out of date. The new Motorola XPRT looks pretty good but I obviously can't find any cheap used models since it just came out. What other options do I have?

Tough one, choices are Arrive, Xprt, Echo, and Torch. Personally out of those I would go with the arrive, obviously lacking android apps but it is the slickest and runs the best out of those. Windows phone 7 isn't too shabby, and worth it to save $10 a month.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 9, 2011

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Good news to any shift user stuck on 2.3.3, there are a few devs actively working on permanent root now. So hopefully in a few hours to a few days there will be permanent root yet again!

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Duckman2008 posted:

Give her the retentions number, have her bitch them out. When they asked are toy satisfied, say no until its fixed.

Retentions took good care of her. New phone is on it's way. Thanks!

Oh god, and people working on permanent root again. God bless America

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Duckman2008 posted:

It takes 4 hours to program initially FYI. Plug it up and let it sit.

I continually miss calls and texts whenever I am home connected to my Airave. IT gets an internet connection and I able to make calls, but my wife's phone is especially bad at missing texts and calls. We both have Evos. Any ideas?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Munkaboo posted:

I continually miss calls and texts whenever I am home connected to my Airave. IT gets an internet connection and I able to make calls, but my wife's phone is especially bad at missing texts and calls. We both have Evos. Any ideas?

The Airvana airave is a piece of poo poo. I have to reset mine every week or 2 or it will stop letting in coming calls and txt in.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lowen SoDium posted:

The Airvana airave is a piece of poo poo. I have to reset mine every week or 2 or it will stop letting in coming calls and txt in.

Yeah, some of my customers love it and I never hear them complain again. Some say it has problems sometimes and some hate it and claim it doesn't help at all. I would bet it depends on signal in the area, internet speed and luck.

The airrvana is made by Samsung, who of course always outputs the best hardware (sarcasm).

On another note,I am moving out today, but sprint signal is seemingly weaker at my apartment. I used to get 2 bars and inside 4g. Now its hard to get 4g outside and its 0-1 bar inside. 3g speeds are still fine, and I very rarely drop a call, just weird that 4g took a step back.

Anyone been having dropped calls with sprint? I rarely drop calls in nashville, but have had a few (not frequent) lately around the city.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 9, 2011

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Are there any alternatives to it?

Eyecannon
Mar 13, 2003

you are what you excrete
Yo, so I'm in Spain right now with my Epic, and even though there is no CDMA here, I thought that my GPS should still work... I get no satellites in GPS status though. Is there some trick to get it to work with no network?

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)
I'm pretty sure GPS doesn't work without data.

Edit: Pretty sure GPS doesn't work at all on the Epic :v:

TheBlackMallard fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
GPS does work without data. I was in Africa and the Maps app worked as long as I had the relevant maps cached to my phone.

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 9, 2011