Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Areala was actually chosen in the "Sexy" category in a CC last night.

We really nailed that one. No pun intended. At all.
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha. :mmmsmug:

LordSaturn posted:

Population's never been an actual problem, but 'endgame content' continues to be. If you're looking for a 'nightly raids' kind of experience, this is probably not the place to find it.
There's been some improvements here honestly, but it's less "endgame content" and more "a bunch of new content for any level that scales up to endgame". Champions Online isn't one of those games that's ever really going to have a big raiding scene or the like. Personally, I consider it a huge perk, but I can see where that'd be a turnoff too.

Also, there's really nothing required from the cash shop, no. Even as a Silver/Free player most of it is "quality of life" stuff like extra inventory or bank slots. That said there's sure a lot of excellent customization options for sale. Coughsci-fipackcough.

Asimo fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Don't make a good costume as the goons will just steal it right in front of you.

Prygelknabe
Mar 31, 2009

He had a baseball bat, and I was tied to a chair. Pissing him off was the smart thing to do.
Shame the costume contest was too late for my timezone, it sounded like fun.

Now, with the addition of the space helmets and their creative uses, I wonder if anyone else had this idea. :allears:

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
If they don't have a skin out by the end of the month turning that into a Residents mask, they have no soul whatsoever.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

Prygelknabbe posted:

Shame the costume contest was too late for my timezone, it sounded like fun.

Now, with the addition of the space helmets and their creative uses, I wonder if anyone else had this idea. :allears:

Hello

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
According to the Champs Calendar, this weekend is the latest edition of Blood Moon. For the benefit of those whose primary income comes from costume contests, this is a 32-hour window in which you can scramble around a bit and earn a huge pile o' resources.

My previous Blood Moon guide is on page 5 of this thread, so I won't repost the whole thing here, but instead post the Guide to Quick Earnings:

1) Everything that's lucrative in Blood Moon is going on in Millennium City, so stay there. You will want the 'always choose which instance' option on, but I can't imagine not turning that on anyway.

2) If you see a pillar of non-blue light in the sky, that's a boss. Take your favorite high-level character out there and see if others do the same. All you need to do is get one hit in on the boss during the fight to be eligible for a chance at a boss device drop -- you do NOT have to be #1 on the score list or even close to it.

Blue pillars are Takofanes. Don't bother with him unless you're a DPS machine, as his rares only drop if you're #1 in the list.

3) As painful as it may be to do so, turn on Zone chat. This is your police scanner calling out which bosses are up (or about to be) in which instances. Your primary targets are:

* Nimbus. Nimbus's force field device is always popular and as a result she gets gangraped in about 30 seconds every time she spawns. Others may speak of a 'Nimbus Sequence,' which is the order of instances in which she'll appear; take note of this and bounce from one to the next.

* Goblin. Goblin's device is a nice self-heal, which will always sell well. Goblin gets overfarmed sometimes as well, but not quite as blatantly as Nimbus; still, if someone calls out a Goblin Sequence, jot it down too.

* Firefight. A short-lived undead pet that spews fire breath. Sells well.

* Flechette II. Hacked Orbital Cannon Codes aren't necessarily the most useful device in the bunch, but they LOOK cool and therefore sell well.

Ones that really don't sell well include Vigil's Eroded Shard device (useless), Eclipse's Revenancy (meh), Radion's Revenge (actually a nice gadget but not popular).

HOWEVER, even those in the 'don't sell well' category will draw 40-50G at minimum in the Auction House. You can get 150G+ for a Nimbus of Force or a Supernatural Possession, so if you see an opportunity to drive-by a boss fight and get one cheap hit in, do so.

That's the biggest-ticket stuff. Additional sources of revenue include:

* Every time you participate in an Undead Hero boss battle and get at least one hit in on a boss, you get a free reward item along with any potential zombie parts and/or boss devices. For level 35+ or so, it's a free blue. These sell for .7G if they're secondaries, 2G and change if they're primaries. You can rack up a ton of blues this way even if you're unlucky with boss device drops, and (of course) primaries in your crafting field can be broken down to get Questionites / Blood of the Dragons / Pulson Particles that sell for more than the devices they came from.

* If you enter a crypt after beating a boss, you will get a piece of the boss's action figure once you complete the quest. There are two parts to this quest, finding and beating Strength of Takofanes (spike-damage bruiser, think Kodiak in the Stronghold mission) and finding and beating the Harbinger at the end (Darkness lifedrains, similar to fighting Eclipse). If you have a build that can handle both, you can dash through the crypt in a few minutes and the action figure pieces generally sell for 3-5G at minimum.

In summary:
* bring a 40 if you have one
* fly around MC
* look for boss fights and get at least one hit in
* collect items
* profit

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
So is there absolutely no way to get Martial Arts on a free account?

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Not really. The Blade technically counts as part of the Martial Arts family and can get a couple of the miscellaneous Martial Arts powers, but Dual Blades, Fighting Claws and Unarmed don't even have purchasable archetypes (yet). You'll need to go Gold and Freeform to really dig into those sets.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Yeah, I played this for awhile last year, all of my old dudes are locked out. Is there any way to just like, buy a single Gold Character permanently? That would probably actually make me play again.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Cuchulain posted:

Yeah, I played this for awhile last year, all of my old dudes are locked out. Is there any way to just like, buy a single Gold Character permanently? That would probably actually make me play again.

Then there wouldn't be much incentive to buy a subscription, much less a lifetime one, would there?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I've spent over 3 hours in chargen and I think I'm halfway done just looking at different costume parts :psyduck:

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Schubalts posted:

I've spent over 3 hours in chargen and I think I'm halfway done just looking at different costume parts :psyduck:

Wait til you notice that some of the parts have different textures and bumpmaps you can apply to them. Also glowy bits.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Jan posted:

Then there wouldn't be much incentive to buy a subscription, much less a lifetime one, would there?
I suppose not. Just costume parts, new levels, different powersets, extra costume slots and everything else. I just wanted my dude back. I guess I wont be playing this again. :shobon:

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Cuchulain posted:

I suppose not. Just costume parts, new levels, different powersets, extra costume slots and everything else. I just wanted my dude back. I guess I wont be playing this again. :shobon:

Make them silver?

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Would change his costume apparently, and would completely change his powers. Ergo: Not my dude, but a dude sharing the same name/level. Which is sort of entirely missing the point.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

delfin posted:

Not really. The Blade technically counts as part of the Martial Arts family and can get a couple of the miscellaneous Martial Arts powers, but Dual Blades, Fighting Claws and Unarmed don't even have purchasable archetypes (yet). You'll need to go Gold and Freeform to really dig into those sets.

Though keep in mind, Martial Arts is next up on the chopping block for power revisions. We might be seeing an MA AT soonish.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Also it looks like the C-store power of the day is "Heroic Power Flight". Which, true to expectations, is just some extra animations for flight that look a bit better, and probably isn't something to immediately bu-

... A Kirby dot SFX, eh? :raise:

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
I... but... when did we decide that kirby dots were no longer supposed to represent negative space around energy? :saddowns:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Maxmaps posted:

I... but... when did we decide that kirby dots were no longer supposed to represent negative space around energy? :saddowns:
Around the time people started to try and do 3D games involving superheroes, I suspect. :v:

catsuit judo
Jun 4, 2010

Maxmaps posted:

Hell this is why I bought it before I realized that they were a Kirby homage. I have a void character that's got a mix of those grimdarke-y powers in her build. It's basically darkness flight for me.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Guys now I can't decide between flight and acrobatic. :ohdear:

Supergroup invites temporarily adding you to their chat channel is a nice feature, too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

1) Newfoundland.
2) Historical Figures Made Appealing to Anime Nerds
3) Best Simultaneous Parody of Hulk Hogan & Deadpool
4) Superhero Celebrity Endorsement
5)

One more! Category 4 courtesy of my expert filtering of delfin's idea.

Also who's chipping in for this one? We're going to need 300 total. I already have uh... someone's money they gave me at the last CC after we already had enough collected. I forget who it was.

I think Bluhman and delfin still have some of their original pledges that went unused, if you're still up for it.

Advertising has already started!

(8:18:41 PM) ReinWeissRitter: Supergoons' "Bi, Weakly" CC will be held NEXT Saturday. We are informing you this far in advance so you can prepare. Full category list to come by the weekend. Sneak peek: Newfoundland.
(8:18:50 PM) ReinWeissRitter: That's right. It's here by popular request!
(8:18:58 PM) ReinWeissRitter: Okay maybe not popular. One guy in the channel mentioned it and honestly I don't think he has many friends so that was a bit of a misstatement I guess.
(8:19:11 PM) ReinWeissRitter: We're advertising this without a finished script! Just like Transformers 2
(8:19:12 PM) ReinWeissRitter: And look how well that turned out!

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 9, 2011

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Best Homage To The Greatest Guitarist That Ever Lived

Judged by Purple Haze

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Closest resemblance to Jason Statham without looking like Vin Diesel.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
"Joe Don Baker"

The category is not necessarily "Most Like Joe Don Baker." The category is simply "Joe Don Baker."

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

That doesn't sound like a goon CC at all, maybe an appropriately-themed category like gently caress the Ocean would be nice.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Just call the last category "Bitcoins". Lets see where the libertarian community intersects with the CO community.

Apathy=Awesome
Jun 17, 2003

♫♪♫ Check it! ♫♪♫
Just resubbed (without paying any money whoohoo!). Holy wow this game just keeps getting better and better. Played the resistance adventure pack with a buddy, just amazing.

pawsplay
Jul 12, 2011
What kind of machine do you need to run it? How gfx intensive is it compared to, say, CoH and WoW?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

pawsplay posted:

What kind of machine do you need to run it? How gfx intensive is it compared to, say, CoH and WoW?
It's still a modern MMO, so you need a computer with some sort of graphics capability. If you're asking though, you probably have that. It's more intensive than CoH, likely slightly more than WoW, but less than Cataclysm-era WoW with settings maxed. Just like WoW you can crank things down fairly far and have it run smoothly, although if you can avoid it I recommend against this in ChampO since the textures and effects and all are a big part of character customization. There's an experimental DX11 mode that makes things run smoother and look better too if you have a card capable of it.

For some context, I can run it perfectly fine on a now-venerable GeForce 9800GT, and my HP dm1z netbook (admittedly a higher-end one, but still a netbook) can run it at minimum settings with a good and playable 20-30 FPS. It's not the most intensive game if you're willing to turn settings down.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

Asimo posted:

It's still a modern MMO, so you need a computer with some sort of graphics capability. If you're asking though, you probably have that. It's more intensive than CoH, likely slightly more than WoW, but less than Cataclysm-era WoW with settings maxed. Just like WoW you can crank things down fairly far and have it run smoothly, although if you can avoid it I recommend against this in ChampO since the textures and effects and all are a big part of character customization. There's an experimental DX11 mode that makes things run smoother and look better too if you have a card capable of it.

For some context, I can run it perfectly fine on a now-venerable GeForce 9800GT, and my HP dm1z netbook (admittedly a higher-end one, but still a netbook) can run it at minimum settings with a good and playable 20-30 FPS. It's not the most intensive game if you're willing to turn settings down.

Wait what? How do you get into this DirectX 11 mode?

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Benjamin Black posted:

Wait what? How do you get into this DirectX 11 mode?

It's in display options under the 'troubleshooting tab'; there's an option where you can choose what video driver to use with the game, and it's normally set to 'auto'. You can click on the menu to switch the game over to DX11 mode.

When I tried running it, the game took forever to load, and LOD on far away terrain was buggy and 'foggy', so I turned it off. :(

pawsplay
Jul 12, 2011

Asimo posted:

Sounds like it might actually be less demanding than the Ultra mode settings for CoH.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

Bluhman posted:

It's in display options under the 'troubleshooting tab'; there's an option where you can choose what video driver to use with the game, and it's normally set to 'auto'. You can click on the menu to switch the game over to DX11 mode.

When I tried running it, the game took forever to load, and LOD on far away terrain was buggy and 'foggy', so I turned it off. :(

Well that was disappointing, my game won't boot at all in DirectX 11.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

pawsplay posted:

Sounds like it might actually be less demanding than the Ultra mode settings for CoH.

It is. With everything maxed I get 60 FPS here, and only about 30 in CoH.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Bluhman posted:

The "forever to load" thing only happens the first time you start the game in DX11 mode, weirdly; I'm not sure why, but subsequent loads seem to take the normal time. Maybe it's downloading something in the background. It does disable several other graphics options (like comic-style cel shading outlines) and the lighting is quite a bit different, but any sort of glowy/shimmery effect (like force fields or water) look a hell of a lot better and the performance increase is generally worth it.

Granted this makes taking Inertial Dampening Field somewhat annoying because it turns a subtle glow into a rippling shimmery effect, but hey. :v:

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
Okay, DirectX 11 loads now, the only problem is textures are flickering like crazy when lighting quality is set to high.

Edit: Seems to be fixed by enabling framerate stabilizer.

Edit2: Doesn't fix another problem I'm having though, the chat box's semi-transparent background sometimes becomes slightly darker for a split second and then returns to normal.

The Man From Melmac fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Sep 9, 2011

pawsplay
Jul 12, 2011
Are you using a Geforce as well? There are known issues with how Direct X 11 implements fog and lighting on a Geforce.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

pawsplay posted:

Are you using a Geforce as well? There are known issues with how Direct X 11 implements fog and lighting on a Geforce.

Yeah, GTX 460. Any workarounds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pawsplay
Jul 12, 2011

Benjamin Black posted:

Yeah, GTX 460. Any workarounds?

Wait for the Direct X 11 roundtable to finish their final recommendations? ... But seriously, all you can do is run Direct X 10, or run Direct X 11 at the second highest level settings.