Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

eating only apples posted:

I'm onto season 2 now! Boy has it started off good. Just watched Thor's Chariot and so far I haven't disliked or even been neutral to an episode. The Gamekeeper was bipolar as all hell though, it went from miserable to hilarious in the space of about five seconds :confused:

Thor's Chariot and Need (a.k.a. holy poo poo Daniel you are so loving dumb) are my favourites this season so far. I'm really enjoying myself you guys :woop: Can't believe I avoided this show for so drat long.

Gotta say, I'm a bit jealous. You get to experience it all for the very first time...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

drcru posted:

SGU was actually pretty okay near the end :smith:

No Shepperd.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The Dark One posted:

Hey, I thought you liked season two of Universe. :(

It was way better than season one, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking that the tail end of any of the three shows was as good as early SG1 or early Atlantis.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

I'm onto season 2 now! Boy has it started off good. Just watched Thor's Chariot and so far I haven't disliked or even been neutral to an episode. The Gamekeeper was bipolar as all hell though, it went from miserable to hilarious in the space of about five seconds :confused:

Thor's Chariot and Need (a.k.a. holy poo poo Daniel you are so loving dumb) are my favourites this season so far. I'm really enjoying myself you guys :woop: Can't believe I avoided this show for so drat long.

ahhhh you finally got to the "oh we probably have to stop using the sarcophagus constantly" episode. Good.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It's pretty funny to think of all the tech Stargate has technobabbled away or swept under the rug because it was just too god mode when they thought about it for more than 2 seconds.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

IRQ posted:

It's pretty funny to think of all the tech Stargate has technobabbled away or swept under the rug because it was just too god mode when they thought about it for more than 2 seconds.

And then you look at the tech they took to its logical conclusion when put into the hands of the US Military fighting horrible alien monstrosities (multiwarhead naquadriah nukes, using transporters to deliver bombs, using Stargates to blow up suns).

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Polaron posted:

And then you look at the tech they took to its logical conclusion when put into the hands of the US Military

Cause of The Great Depression 2 found.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Polaron posted:

And then you look at the tech they took to its logical conclusion when put into the hands of the US Military fighting horrible alien monstrosities (multiwarhead naquadriah nukes, using transporters to deliver bombs, using Stargates to blow up suns).

Or destroying solar systems.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

bobkatt013 posted:

Or destroying solar systems.

That was an accident! And it was only about 5/6s of a system! :v:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Let's not forget the time Rod and Rodney almost destroyed two universes.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

The Dark One posted:

Let's not forget the time Rod and Rodney almost destroyed two universes.

That's what happens when his Divine Shadow doesn't fall upon them! :colbert:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

You liked Space Mongols?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Luigi Thirty posted:

You liked Space Mongols?

I meant that there hasn't been a season 2 episode I've disliked so far. I did not enjoy Emancipation much at all. Wasn't a big fan of Hathor either.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

I meant that there hasn't been a season 2 episode I've disliked so far. I did not enjoy Emancipation much at all. Wasn't a big fan of Hathor either.

Most of the weaker episodes are enjoyable the first time through - it's on repeat viewings that they fall short

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Most of the weaker episodes are enjoyable the first time through - it's on repeat viewings that they fall short

Oh I bet. I'm still in the joyous stage of "holy poo poo this is so good I love everything". When it comes to rewatches, that'll change. But I have eight and a half seasons to go, so let's not think about that just yet :v:

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Hathor was just kind of a disgusting episode with the worm baths and general sexism towards everyone. Thor's Chariot is awesome. That scene with the Asgard ship is still :black101: as gently caress. Thor sure rides in style.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
You know, I was going to write some :smug: post about how I felt y'all were being a little hard on Hathor. Then I remembered how the women broke out of their jail cell and...

Well, Showtime years Stargate I guess.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Luigi Thirty posted:

You liked Space Mongols?

If it weren't for the First Season Tapping Cleavage, it would be unwatchable.

As it is, I have a screenshot of it as one of my rotating desktops because I *adore* Amanda Tapping.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Hathor owns if you consider that the whole thing is supposed to be a parody of Star Trek or something. The girls seducing their way out of jail to take down a hot babe who has turned all the men in the SGC into mindslaves and made Daniel her sex slave cannot be an actual seriously intended thing.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

JetsGuy posted:

That's what happens when his Divine Shadow doesn't fall upon them! :colbert:

I like that Lexx is one of those shows that etches itself into your memory. I've only seen two episodes, but it will never leave my brain.

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?
I actually started watching the Stargate franchise with Atlantis back when it premiered in '04 and only got to SG1 when it was already canceled. That being said, I remember how awesome it was to have all TEN seasons of SG1 at my finger tips, so I really envy the people who are just getting into it now. I watched every episode in one summer about 4 years ago and did I ever look forward to getting home from work for about 4 or 5 months straight.

As for SGU, I really had a hard time liking it in season 1 ... I disliked every character (not their acting skills) except maybe Eli. Everyone were pretty much dicks or I just couldn't emphasize with them. But season 2 was very good in my opinion and I actually started liking the characters because they became more of a family. I really enjoyed it; especially the 2nd half.

Anyway, I have these random observations about 'Midway'(SGA, Season 5?), which was definitely in my top 3 Atlantis episodes of all time. I'm not sure why I am mentioning them, but:

1. Holy crap I didn't realize how big Ronan was until I saw him standing next to Teal'C. As I recall, he's even taller than him.

2. I really love (seriously) how Sheppard randomly shoots the communication screen when he's through talking with that Wraith commander on Midway. Turn it off and walk away? Nope. SHOOT IT! Sheppard rules so much. I guess it didn't matter any way since the entire station blew up.

3. I found it funny that Coolage was the first one to wake up from the massive Wraith stun grenade. Also, where were all the SG/security units?

I just realized this Fall will be the first time Stargate will not be airing new episodes in 15 years :(

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
Hey thread! I recently bought the huge SG1 boxset. Basically one of the greatest DVD purchases I've ever made. I remember watching all this stuff out of order back when the SciFi channel used to show it in Australia, and it's still just as tremendously enjoyable as before.

I'm mid-way through season 6 now, starting to get into episodes that I don't remember seeing (or at least haven't seen 3 times). Pretty excited about this!

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Hyperriker posted:

Hey thread! I recently bought the huge SG1 boxset. Basically one of the greatest DVD purchases I've ever made. I remember watching all this stuff out of order back when the SciFi channel used to show it in Australia, and it's still just as tremendously enjoyable as before.

I'm mid-way through season 6 now, starting to get into episodes that I don't remember seeing (or at least haven't seen 3 times). Pretty excited about this!

:hfive: Hi Stargate buddy! I wish I was able to blitz through it as quickly as you, but in my defence I have a blog about it so I have to write about every episode before moving on.

It's funny when I repeatedly see episodes over and over. For example, the one in season 6 where Jack and Jonas and Teal'c see invisible dragonflies. And the one where Teal'c is sick and a little Earth girl with a toy gun helps him until he turns into some kind of horrible cocoon. I'm nowhere near seeing those episodes in my actual timeline, so they're spoilers, I guess... but that second Teal'c episode is one of the only episodes I've seen all the way though. I hated it for ages and only ever saw that one and Upgrades, which turned me to loving it.

Please don't tell me which episode the Teal'c-cocoon episode is, I'd rather be surprised... unless it's really obvious, I guess. :shobon:

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.
I'm rewatching Atlantis Season 1 and was reminded of one of the little things I always loved: Rodney calls them Zed-PMs. :canada:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Captain Vittles posted:

I'm rewatching Atlantis Season 1 and was reminded of one of the little things I always loved: Rodney calls them Zed-PMs. :canada:

When I see one of the early ones on Space, you know what's jarring? When the camera cuts over and there's a reaction shot of Ford. Not the lack of Ronon, but the reminder that Ford is actually still in the show even if he isn't doing anything interesting.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

The Dark One posted:

When I see one of the early ones on Space, you know what's jarring? When the camera cuts over and there's a reaction shot of Ford. Not the lack of Ronon, but the reminder that Ford is actually still in the show even if he isn't doing anything interesting.

Just re-watched 38 Minutes last night (a solid episode), was great seeing Rodney as a total panicky spaz when the poo poo hits the fan instead of the "I can fix this" guy he grows into later. Also funny that he keeps forgetting Zlenka's name. First appearance of Kavanaugh, he still makes me want to beat him, and I don't remember Ford being as lame as he was, but there you go.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

golgo13sf posted:

First appearance of Kavanaugh, he still makes me want to beat him,

Yeah, Kavvy has that effect on people. Don't know why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-2EDraQ9fk

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Pwnstar posted:

Hathor owns if you consider that the whole thing is supposed to be a parody of Star Trek or something. The girls seducing their way out of jail to take down a hot babe who has turned all the men in the SGC into mindslaves and made Daniel her sex slave cannot be an actual seriously intended thing.

Didn't they reference the fact that Hathor was terrible in a later episode in the series?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jimbot posted:

Didn't they reference the fact that Hathor was terrible in a later episode in the series?

Ya it was one of the stories that Homer sent in and the refused. When they mention the title along with vacation and one other one he replies they do get better.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNjHroPSOOc

Don't ask me why i googled this

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Effingham posted:

Yeah, Kavvy has that effect on people. Don't know why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-2EDraQ9fk

Because he's a typical goon, all he needs is a katana

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

kri kri posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNjHroPSOOc

Don't ask me why i googled this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV832rfjcas&feature=related

At least he takes responsibility for his mistakes.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

golgo13sf posted:

Because he's a typical goon, all he needs is a katana

I have compiled an ordered list of all the reasons why Dr. Weir is mean. I have alphabetized them by subject.
:goonsay:

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004

vandelay industries posted:

2. I really love (seriously) how Sheppard randomly shoots the communication screen when he's through talking with that Wraith commander on Midway. Turn it off and walk away? Nope. SHOOT IT! Sheppard rules so much. I guess it didn't matter any way since the entire station blew up.

Sheppard refers to Ronon as "Chewie" often.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

JetsGuy posted:

I have compiled an ordered list of all the reasons why Dr. Weir is mean. I have alphabetized them by subject.
:goonsay:

What makes it even better is he is sending it to Jack O Neill who has done all those things and worse. I just wish they showed his face when he got that

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

bobkatt013 posted:

What makes it even better is he is sending it to Jack O Neill who has done all those things and worse. I just wish they showed his face when he got that

Well, as I said, you can imagine it. He sent Kav to midway.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

JetsGuy posted:

Well, as I said, you can imagine it. He sent Kav to midway.

Not at first, first he put him on Daedalus

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5
I was looking for something to have on in the background and saw that Atlantis was on Syfy so I looked to see if it was a good episode. I soon realized it was this episode:

I ended up just watching it instead of using it as background noise. I'd forgotten how awesome the whole episode was and how much funnier the painting is as a pay-off to the episode.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I started watching a particularly bad episode of Star Trek Voyager(A bad series in itself,) and recognized the voice on a certain character:

Can you guess which Stargate Universe actor this is? :v:

It's Louis Ferreira, who played Everett Young, everyone's favorite subordinate smothering colonel!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Just so you know Canadian sci fi shows interbreed. Just look at who was in each stargate, smallville, and x-files