Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minnesota Nice.
Sep 1, 2008
And miles to go before I sleep.
And miles to go before I sleep.
I'm not asking you to tell us how much you make, but PP is sliding scale...so even if you have insurance, I think you can legitimately tell them your income and they will reduce the cost for you, since your insurance won't pay for it. That way you don't have to lie. It won't be free, but your conscience will be clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not really trying to get it for free, I just had no idea it cost 1100+ bucks without insurance. Even 5 years of my pills is only 600 bucks. If I could get it for maybe half the cost, I could maybe save up for it a little easier.

I'll call PP as soon as I have a chance and see what they say. I never have time to make a phone call these days!

Peggy Lee
Nov 17, 2005

You give me fever.

Geolicious posted:

That's a good way to look at it, though. I AM uninsured in this instance.

Too bad I can't get the guy to cough up some of it. It would benefit him as well! Well, sometimes anyhow.

I would totally be the type of person to say, 'You want to spooge up in here? Help pay for it.' :colbert: That, and a lot of guys I know would be psyched to have near-guaranteed baby-prevention without having to cut up their junk.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Peggy Lee posted:

I would totally be the type of person to say, 'You want to spooge up in here? Help pay for it.' :colbert: That, and a lot of guys I know would be psyched to have near-guaranteed baby-prevention without having to cut up their junk.

I hate how men get all squeamish about a drat vasectomy but have zero problem with us getting things shoved into us or cut into to prevent babies.

My boyfriend was very excited to hear I could get Mirena and upset I couldn't afford it. He probably would chip in if he could, but I make more than twice what he does and I can't afford it!

bobz0r
Jul 8, 2008

I have faith in us, if we don't self-destruct
MYGIRLFRIEND's IUD seems to be poking the top of my dick when we have sex. It can be very uncomfortable as the positions she gets the most pleasure from seem to cause the contact (her on top, missionary). I'm not necessarily the largest man in that regard but I have to tell you guys, it doesn't feel good. I can't really continue if it pokes really hard and she obviously doesn't feel great about poking my dick with a copper wire. I'm also finding small bumps around my glans that indicate a kind of poking after feeling this contact. She wants to get it removed but I know it is a costly process and it seems to be working for her other than this issue. I've read up on IUD coils and I'm going to suggest her to ask her gyno to maybe trim the wire just a little bit. If any of you have any suggestions or insight you could offer me my junk would greatly appreciate it.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

bobz0r posted:

MYGIRLFRIEND's IUD seems to be poking the top of my dick when we have sex. It can be very uncomfortable as the positions she gets the most pleasure from seem to cause the contact (her on top, missionary). I'm not necessarily the largest man in that regard but I have to tell you guys, it doesn't feel good. I can't really continue if it pokes really hard and she obviously doesn't feel great about poking my dick with a copper wire. I'm also finding small bumps around my glans that indicate a kind of poking after feeling this contact. She wants to get it removed but I know it is a costly process and it seems to be working for her other than this issue. I've read up on IUD coils and I'm going to suggest her to ask her gyno to maybe trim the wire just a little bit. If any of you have any suggestions or insight you could offer me my junk would greatly appreciate it.

How long has she had the IUD? It's common for the strings to be stiff at first and then become soft and eventually spend most of the time curled around the cervix and out of the way. Cutting the strings short can be worse in the long run, because the strings remain too short to curl out of the way and end up being just the ends sticking out of the cervix leading to frequent pokes. Perhaps that's what's happened.

She can ask about getting the strings cut to always stay behind the cervix, and that should solve the poking issues, but then she wouldn't be able to check the strings for IUD placement and could make removal more difficult. But it might be worth it to ask.

By the way, the strings aren't copper; they're kind of like fishing line. :P

bobz0r
Jul 8, 2008

I have faith in us, if we don't self-destruct

Bagleworm posted:

How long has she had the IUD? It's common for the strings to be stiff at first and then become soft and eventually spend most of the time curled around the cervix and out of the way. Cutting the strings short can be worse in the long run, because the strings remain too short to curl out of the way and end up being just the ends sticking out of the cervix leading to frequent pokes. Perhaps that's what's happened.

She can ask about getting the strings cut to always stay behind the cervix, and that should solve the poking issues, but then she wouldn't be able to check the strings for IUD placement and could make removal more difficult. But it might be worth it to ask.

By the way, the strings aren't copper; they're kind of like fishing line. :P

Good to know. I believe she has had it for about a year or a little bit less than one.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Which IUD does she have as well? The Paragard has strings that soften alot faster than the Mirena. Also you actually want the strings to be long enough to curl around the cervix, not be super short and poke out just a little.

I'd almost bet that her strings are cut super short and you are just feeling the fishing line poke you.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Geolicious posted:

That's a good way to look at it, though. I AM uninsured in this instance.

Too bad I can't get the guy to cough up some of it. It would benefit him as well! Well, sometimes anyhow.

Are you making GBS threads me? Your boyfriend is a dick, just a heads up.

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

So I am having a small problem with my Nuvaring. I love it, don't get me wrong and I really don't want to switch. But, I am having some pretty awful acne. I'm 28, this poo poo should be behind me now! I've been using wash/face pads with Salycalic Acid but it doesn't seem to be helping much. Is there anything I can do? I really don't want to switch, I hate pills and I'm running out of no-pill options. :(

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Triangulum posted:

Are you making GBS threads me? Your boyfriend is a dick, just a heads up.

Judging from what she posted after that, it doesn't sound like she even asked him to because he makes less money than her and wouldn't be able to afford it, not some "I don't pay for girl stuff :smug: " attitude.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

evelynevvie posted:

So I am having a small problem with my Nuvaring. I love it, don't get me wrong and I really don't want to switch. But, I am having some pretty awful acne. I'm 28, this poo poo should be behind me now! I've been using wash/face pads with Salycalic Acid but it doesn't seem to be helping much. Is there anything I can do? I really don't want to switch, I hate pills and I'm running out of no-pill options. :(

Also 28 with acne that I'd like to disappear. I'm on Implanon though. You should try switching to benzoyl peroxide to see if that helps. My friend cleared up her acne this way after not having any luck with salicylic acid. Personally, neither of these help me. :(

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

NaturalLow posted:

Judging from what she posted after that, it doesn't sound like she even asked him to because he makes less money than her and wouldn't be able to afford it, not some "I don't pay for girl stuff :smug: " attitude.

This. He would totally pitch in if he could. He even helped pay for my pill when I was out of a job/insurance a while back. But both of us are having it really tight right now with my crushing student debt and him having to help with some of his mother's medical bills.

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

fork bomb posted:

Also 28 with acne that I'd like to disappear. I'm on Implanon though. You should try switching to benzoyl peroxide to see if that helps. My friend cleared up her acne this way after not having any luck with salicylic acid. Personally, neither of these help me. :(

I wishI could find it at less than maximum strength! The way I understand it, the peroxide stuff at max strength is for teenagers, and is too harsh for adult skin. I haveexperienced personally that the acne got worse because it irritated the skin. I've heard of 2.5% peroxide creams but can't find any at that dose. :(

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

evelynevvie posted:

I wishI could find it at less than maximum strength! The way I understand it, the peroxide stuff at max strength is for teenagers, and is too harsh for adult skin. I haveexperienced personally that the acne got worse because it irritated the skin. I've heard of 2.5% peroxide creams but can't find any at that dose. :(

Proactiv is 2.5% but overpriced; Wal-Mart has a generic version that I found worked fine. I think AcneFree is also 2.5% and has generally been working well for me. I went camping this weekend and didn't bring it along though, and now I've got the same sort of little bumps someone posted about earlier in the thread. Argh.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

NaturalLow posted:

Both parties should pay some portion of the birth control bill, especially if you can barely freakin' afford it on your own. Both paying 50/50 might not be practical but pulling the "oh well you make more, you pay for all of it even though it totally benefits me too" crap is bullshit and super thoughtless.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Triangulum posted:

Both parties should pay some portion of the birth control bill, especially if you can barely freakin' afford it on your own. Both paying 50/50 might not be practical but pulling the "oh well you make more, you pay for all of it even though it totally benefits me too" crap is bullshit and super thoughtless.

For the record, my bf has never said anything like this. I never even asked him to help pay for Mirena. I know he can't, I mean, I can't, so why ask right now?

As I posted earlier, he has helped pay for my pill in the past, so you seem to be making some assumptions, at least in my case.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Geolicious posted:

For the record, my bf has never said anything like this. I never even asked him to help pay for Mirena. I know he can't, I mean, I can't, so why ask right now?

As I posted earlier, he has helped pay for my pill in the past, so you seem to be making some assumptions, at least in my case.

If you never asked him, why did you originally say you couldn't get him to pay for part of it?

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

Triangulum posted:

If you never asked him, why did you originally say you couldn't get him to pay for part of it?

loving a... Shut the hell up. Maybe actually read what she's saying. She knows how much her boyfriend makes and how much he can float. Hence she really doesn't need to ask. There's nothing wrong with NOT forcing your partner to spend money they don't have, oddly enough.

Geolicious posted:

My boyfriend was very excited to hear I could get Mirena and upset I couldn't afford it. He probably would chip in if he could, but I make more than twice what he does and I can't afford it!

Geolicious posted:

This. He would totally pitch in if he could. He even helped pay for my pill when I was out of a job/insurance a while back. But both of us are having it really tight right now with my crushing student debt and him having to help with some of his mother's medical bills.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I said "Too bad I can't get the guy to cough up some of it."

I suppose the language I used insinuated he wouldn't rather than couldn't. But no, I can't get him to pay for it. He can't pay with what he doesn't have. I can't even pay for it.

What I meant was "Too bad neither of us can afford it".

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Fair enough. From what you initially said it sounded like he absolutely refused to help, which is lovely.

kdc67 posted:

loving a... Shut the hell up. Maybe actually read what she's saying. She knows how much her boyfriend makes and how much he can float. Hence she really doesn't need to ask. There's nothing wrong with NOT forcing your partner to spend money they don't have, oddly enough.

There's nothing wrong with not asking them to help. There IS something wrong with flat out refusing to help, which is what she initially implied. I'm sorry the idea that both parties should be willing to pay for something that benefits both of them is so terribly offensive to you.

In other news, I made an appointment to get a Mirena and the government is gonna pay for all of it! Life owns!

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 7, 2011

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

Triangulum posted:

There's nothing wrong with not asking them to help. There IS something wrong with flat out refusing to help, which is what she initially implied. I'm sorry the idea that both parties should be willing to pay for something that benefits both of them is so terribly offensive to you.

She didn't imply it. She didn't say anything either way about why he couldn't at first. You assumed he was a dick and continued to do so after she explained it. Sorry you feel the need to project your previous or current relationships onto others.

On topic: Still on Tri-Sprintec. Everything is a-ok.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Triangulum posted:

Fair enough. From what you initially said it sounded like he absolutely refused to help, which is lovely.

In other news, I made an appointment to get a Mirena and the government is gonna pay for all of it! Life owns!

The idea isn't offensive but you probably could have expressed it in a calmer, less offensive way.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

kdc67 posted:

She didn't imply it. She didn't say anything either way about why he couldn't at first. You assumed he was a dick and continued to do so after she explained it. Sorry you feel the need to project your previous or current relationships onto others.

On topic: Still on Tri-Sprintec. Everything is a-ok.

Yeah my ex girlfriends sure were bitches about contributing to my birth control fund :lol:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Ugh, I just learned that my dad's company is changing insurance AGAIN starting January 1st. This has never once been positive concerning my payment for birth control. :(

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Kerfuffle posted:

Ugh, I just learned that my dad's company is changing insurance AGAIN starting January 1st. This has never once been positive concerning my payment for birth control. :(

Doesn't this mean you're new plan will be required to pay for your birth control? Or do the new regulations start up later than that?

Quick question: I realize I should have asked PP this when I called, but when they say "no sex for two weeks before getting an IUD" does that mean "no penises in your vagina", "no penetrative sex", or "no sexual activity"? What's the reasoning for this?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Ha I wish, but that doesn't start at all until next August. But no one seems to be sure if you'll need a new policy after that or not to be eligible for it.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Oh that's weak :(

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Triangulum posted:

Doesn't this mean you're new plan will be required to pay for your birth control? Or do the new regulations start up later than that?

Quick question: I realize I should have asked PP this when I called, but when they say "no sex for two weeks before getting an IUD" does that mean "no penises in your vagina", "no penetrative sex", or "no sexual activity"? What's the reasoning for this?

My understanding is that your cervix is going to me mighty tender and possibly more susceptible to bacteria (Confirm/Deny that one?) I think that 2 week window is to let your lady bits recover from being pushed, poked, extended, and shoved.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Kerfuffle posted:

Ha I wish, but that doesn't start at all until next August. But no one seems to be sure if you'll need a new policy after that or not to be eligible for it.

"This preventive services provision applies to people enrolled in job-related health plans or individual health insurance policies created after March 23, 2010. If you are in such a health plan, this provision will affect you as soon as your plan begins its first new “plan year” or “policy year” on or after September 23, 2010."

From the information on the new provisions on http://www.healthcare.gov/law/provisions/preventive/index.html

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Triangulum posted:

I think they say "no unprotected sex"? I've never seen anything saying no sex weeks beforehand. They told me no unprotected sex for two weeks after, though.

Suntory BOSS
Apr 17, 2006

So before putting on a condom, I sometimes go a little while bare, just to enjoy the sensation. After a few minutes, I pull out, put on a condom, and renew the festivities with the necessary protection.

However, I did this last night during the second round of sex, and it occurred to me that live sperm from the first burst could have still been dwelling in my urethra and somehow worked their wicked way into her body during the action. Furthermore, it's the week before her period which means... peak fertility, right?

I didn't come anywhere close to ejaculating inside her, but fluids can easily coagulate in the urethra and come out later... Should I be freaking out? Is the risk great enough that I should take her to a clinic tomorrow morning for an ECP?

lou reed
Aug 20, 2005

How is babby made?
If her cycle is normal she was probably most fertile a week ago. Still, better safe than sorry.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Is it normal for my girlfriend, who is on the pill (Qlaira), to have no-blood periods every now and then? We've been together for 6 months now and every time she misses a period, we get really nervous waiting for the next one. This is the second time this has happened. Because of that, she wants me to wear a condom every time starting today.

Not to be selfish and all, but, you know, I'd rather not wear a condom every time we have sex... that's what the pill is for.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Sir Davey posted:

Is it normal for my girlfriend, who is on the pill (Qlaira), to have no-blood periods every now and then? We've been together for 6 months now and every time she misses a period, we get really nervous waiting for the next one. This is the second time this has happened. Because of that, she wants me to wear a condom every time starting today.

Not to be selfish and all, but, you know, I'd rather not wear a condom every time we have sex... that's what the pill is for.

Not bleeding at period time is a fairly common side effect of hormonal birth control. Another common cause of skipped periods is stress, frustratingly enough. External stress or anxiety can prevent a period or make it late, and even anxiety surrounding a late period can make you miss it.

You can keep some cheap pregnancy tests around if it will help reduce her anxiety; I think a few ladies here have mentioned that's what they do when they miss a period while on birth control. I bought a pack of twenty or so tests online for around $5 just for fun, heh. It's better than waiting a whole month.

She could also consider a different form of birth control that has less chance of user error if she isn't comfortable with her pills. But she is right - the easiest way of getting peace of mind and further reducing the risk of pregnancy is the use of condoms. In the end, you just have to respect that. You're not the one the baby grows inside. ;)

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Suntory BOSS posted:

So before putting on a condom, I sometimes go a little while bare, just to enjoy the sensation. After a few minutes, I pull out, put on a condom, and renew the festivities with the necessary protection.

However, I did this last night during the second round of sex, and it occurred to me that live sperm from the first burst could have still been dwelling in my urethra and somehow worked their wicked way into her body during the action. Furthermore, it's the week before her period which means... peak fertility, right?

I didn't come anywhere close to ejaculating inside her, but fluids can easily coagulate in the urethra and come out later... Should I be freaking out? Is the risk great enough that I should take her to a clinic tomorrow morning for an ECP?

If she has the textbook 28 day menstrual cycle, she would be at peak fertility on or around day 14 (so two weeks before her period rather than one week). However a lot of women don't have 28 day cycles and they can vary month to month, so that's just a general estimate not a set in stone date to live by.

Suntory BOSS
Apr 17, 2006

NaturalLow posted:

If she has the textbook 28 day menstrual cycle, she would be at peak fertility on or around day 14 (so two weeks before her period rather than one week). However a lot of women don't have 28 day cycles and they can vary month to month, so that's just a general estimate not a set in stone date to live by.

I think I'm just being overly paranoid, but it'd be a lot smarter to be overly cautious instead. Having said that, I really wish Japan had some form of contraception other than just condoms.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Suntory BOSS posted:

I think I'm just being overly paranoid, but it'd be a lot smarter to be overly cautious instead. Having said that, I really wish Japan had some form of contraception other than just condoms.

Yeah, I agree caution is probably the best policy here. In the future, peeing/cleaning up a little between rounds of sex can help clear sperm out of your urethra. It's not a 100% guarantee and I know it's not convenient but it's something that might help and give you some peace of mind.

And from what I've heard anyway, they do at least have the pill in Japan but their regulations make it a giant pain in the rear end for the women that take it. Which I guess is probably what you're referring to. :(

Edit: Although looking at Wikipedia at least, it seems there are some doctors in Japan that overlook the "pelvic exam every 3 months" rule and just do yearly exams for the pill instead so it might be worth checking into if you haven't already.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 12, 2011

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
IUDs almost halve risk of cervical cancer: study

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
That's pretty rad, I tend to take "NEW STUDIES SHOW" with a grain of salt, but that would be awesome if found to be true in continued research. 20k women is a pretty good subject size though.

• Locked thread