Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That sounds right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I want some under-cabinet appliances to free up counterspace; Black & Decker's Spacemaker line is pretty much the standard. I was going to buy the coffeemaker, but one spin around Amazon's review section put paid to that (leaking carafes, no backlit clock, widespread quality issues). I'm probably still going to get their toaster oven and mini-food processor.

Is there any other line of under-cabinet appliances by other manufacturers that might have a decent coffeemaker? It doesn't have to be large at all (8-cup is fine, we're very occasional coffee drinkers and it's more for company) or laden with doo-dads.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

GD_American posted:

I want some under-cabinet appliances to free up counterspace; Black & Decker's Spacemaker line is pretty much the standard. I was going to buy the coffeemaker, but one spin around Amazon's review section put paid to that (leaking carafes, no backlit clock, widespread quality issues). I'm probably still going to get their toaster oven and mini-food processor.

Is there any other line of under-cabinet appliances by other manufacturers that might have a decent coffeemaker? It doesn't have to be large at all (8-cup is fine, we're very occasional coffee drinkers and it's more for company) or laden with doo-dads.

Why not do a large french press instead? You won't be able to mount it under the cabinet, but it's small and makes much better coffee than most drip brewers.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

rockcity posted:

Why not do a large french press instead? You won't be able to mount it under the cabinet, but it's small and makes much better coffee than most drip brewers.

Because the main thing I want is to take an appliance we barely use (our basic 20 dollar coffeemaker) and free up some counterspace. I don't drink enough coffee to care much about quality difference, and I guarantee our family doesn't (hell, my father-in-law spoons instant Sanka into his cup every morning).

I'm normally all for higher quality, but when it comes to coffee I realllly don't care. I might drink ten cups a year.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If you don't care about coffee quality and you only drink ten cups a year... what about just drinking instant?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

If you don't care about coffee quality and you only drink ten cups a year... what about just drinking instant?

Because drip is way better than instant? There are choices between instant and home roasted, freshly ground, French pressed, you know?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Well, there are limits.

It's just an occasional-use appliance, and like I said, mainly for our parents when they come to visit. I figured under-cabinet was better since I wouldn't be taking up counter or cabinet space.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

GD_American posted:

Well, there are limits.

It's just an occasional-use appliance, and like I said, mainly for our parents when they come to visit. I figured under-cabinet was better since I wouldn't be taking up counter or cabinet space.

I would have though it takes up more space than just buying a small coffee maker and sticking it in the far back of your cupboard and retrieving it when you need to? Even a small french press is way better than instant and takes up no room at all.

Unfortunately I can't really help you because under cabinet stuff isn't really sold here.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones

GD_American posted:

Well, there are limits.

You should totally get a large coffee dripper cone. I'm serious.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

GD_American posted:

Because the main thing I want is to take an appliance we barely use (our basic 20 dollar coffeemaker) and free up some counterspace. I don't drink enough coffee to care much about quality difference, and I guarantee our family doesn't (hell, my father-in-law spoons instant Sanka into his cup every morning).

I'm normally all for higher quality, but when it comes to coffee I realllly don't care. I might drink ten cups a year.

My suggestion was actually less from a taste perspective and more from a space perspective. Personally, I would never want anything out that I don't use regularly, so if I drank 10 cups of coffee a year, I wouldn't want a coffee maker out every day, even if it is mounted under a cabinet. A french press takes up very little space and can be stored quite easily. The drip cone mentioned above is another good idea.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Hmmm, thanks for the leads. I'll start doing the legwork.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I just need to add a little room to my kitchen so I can upgrade to this. I'm actually totally serious about that, I just don't know where that room would come from at the moment.
I can say, with the utmost sincerity: this brings back all kinds of wonderful memories. We had the 10 and 25-quart mixers at the bakery I used to work at, and they were absolutely stellar. Easy to use and extremely efficient.
If, for some reason you find yourself needing to bake 45 pounds of bread dough or whip two gallons of cream or somesuch poo poo, this is the machine for you.

That aside, does anyone know of a good cherry/olive pitter? I rediscovered the wonders of kalamata and mixed Greek olives and the deli here only sells them with the fruit intact.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Be a baller and eat around the pit.

Or get a cheap OXO one.

Psycho_Puppy
Sep 15, 2004

Founder, Mutant Ninja Peek-a-Poo Death Squad.

kinmik posted:

I can say, with the utmost sincerity: this brings back all kinds of wonderful memories. We had the 10 and 25-quart mixers at the bakery I used to work at, and they were absolutely stellar. Easy to use and extremely efficient.
If, for some reason you find yourself needing to bake 45 pounds of bread dough or whip two gallons of cream or somesuch poo poo, this is the machine for you.

That aside, does anyone know of a good cherry/olive pitter? I rediscovered the wonders of kalamata and mixed Greek olives and the deli here only sells them with the fruit intact.

Don't know where you are, but I saw some at TJ Maxx or Marshalls.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Psycho_Puppy posted:

Don't know where you are, but I saw some at TJ Maxx or Marshalls.
Japan. Quite far away from the wonders and luxuries of chain and bulk-buy stores. :sigh:

ThriceBakedPotato
Oct 25, 2010

by T. Butt
At "10 cups a year" I'd just make turkish coffee in a sauce pan or buy something like a neopolitan flip that works fine with a vacuum-can grind. A drip maker just takes up too much drat room unless you're an addict.

I've always lived in apartments tho, and never have the luxury of enough counterspace for fixed appliances except for the kitchenaid. gently caress, I make toast on the gas burner with a primitive gadget now.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

ThriceBakedPotato posted:

At "10 cups a year" I'd just make turkish coffee in a sauce pan or buy something like a neopolitan flip that works fine with a vacuum-can grind. A drip maker just takes up too much drat room unless you're an addict.

I've always lived in apartments tho, and never have the luxury of enough counterspace for fixed appliances except for the kitchenaid. gently caress, I make toast on the gas burner with a primitive gadget now.

Skillet toast is best toast. :colbert:

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

ThriceBakedPotato posted:

Are you talking about one of those slanted rack deals that prop up the bread so the flames toast it? I have one at my cabin and it makes better toast than any electric toaster.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Actually, the best way to make toast is to fry it in a cast iron pan with a fat knob of butter or duck fat.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Actually, the best way to make toast is to fry it in a cast iron pan with a fat knob of butter or duck fat.

Heh-heh. Fat knob.

I tend to do the frying on the skillet with a bit of coconut or olive oil, depending on which one I reach for first.

ThriceBakedPotato
Oct 25, 2010

by T. Butt

rockcity posted:

Are you talking about one of those slanted rack deals that prop up the bread so the flames toast it? I have one at my cabin and it makes better toast than any electric toaster.

Indeed. They're not automatic or fancy, but I don't give a poo poo. I like my coffee, toast, bagels, and pretty much everything else low-tech.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
Recommend me a waffle iron. My sister wants one for her birthday.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Randomity posted:

Recommend me a waffle iron. My sister wants one for her birthday.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-WBM500-Belgian-Waffle/dp/B000063XH6 We use this one at the restaurant. You need to let it come up to heat (about a minute or three), and it /does/ need fat, and it takes exactly 7 minutes (we use a timer) to make a perfect waffle. Aside from that, it's best waffles you ever had. We make it gluten free (rice flour, sunflower seeds, baking powder, soy milk, vinegar) and it still comes out delicious.

Also the negative reviews are silly. The thing has lasted a good year or so, and is still ticking. This is after heavy use on (:shudder:) brunch (I loving hate brunch and everything it stands for) on weekends.

EDIT: It takes about 1 cup's worth of dry mix + 1/2 cup worth of liquid mixed together to make said waffle without having drips or overages. If you're a sloppy waffle maker, can't blame the waffle iron.

dino. fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 11, 2011

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

dino. posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-WBM500-Belgian-Waffle/dp/B000063XH6 We use this one at the restaurant. You need to let it come up to heat (about a minute or three), and it /does/ need fat, and it takes exactly 7 minutes (we use a timer) to make a perfect waffle. Aside from that, it's best waffles you ever had. We make it gluten free (rice flour, sunflower seeds, baking powder, soy milk, vinegar) and it still comes out delicious.

Also the negative reviews are silly. The thing has lasted a good year or so, and is still ticking. This is after heavy use on (:shudder:) brunch (I loving hate brunch and everything it stands for) on weekends.

EDIT: It takes about 1 cup's worth of dry mix + 1/2 cup worth of liquid mixed together to make said waffle without having drips or overages. If you're a sloppy waffle maker, can't blame the waffle iron.

Ohh I like that it doesn't take out a lot of space.

On the opposite end of that spectrum, I am intrigued by this one. Just like the whole "can do two at once" idea, worst part about making waffles is that you can typically only make one at a time. However if I was to get the smaller and much cheaper one, I could get her some other stuff along with it, while the bigger one is up toward the upper end of my entire budget for her birthday. Hrm.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Get the smaller one for now, and enjoy the one at a time waffles. If you see yourself desperately needing more waffle space, get a second one. Two in one machines aren't worth the extra expense. Honestly, if you seriously use the waffle iron more than a few times a year I'd be surprised. For something that doesn't do an awful lot, stick with the cheaper cost, and see if you actually do get a lot of use out of it. Once you do, then go spring for a pricey one.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

dino. posted:

Amazon reviews should be avoided at all costs. My grandparents bought us a soft boiled egg maker as a housewarming gift. We used it a few times and always got hard boiled eggs. Turns out there's supposed to be a buzzer to let you know the eggs are done and our unit didn't buzz.

It's a common defect and since I'm more than capable of making soft boiled eggs in a pot of water we tossed the unit. A few weeks later I saw it on Amazon and left a review explaining that our buzzer didn't work either.

It's currently rated unhelpful from 9 of 9 people including such thoughtful responses as "you should wait for the buzzer to go off it's pretty simple".

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Randomity posted:

Ohh I like that it doesn't take out a lot of space.

On the opposite end of that spectrum, I am intrigued by this one. Just like the whole "can do two at once" idea, worst part about making waffles is that you can typically only make one at a time. However if I was to get the smaller and much cheaper one, I could get her some other stuff along with it, while the bigger one is up toward the upper end of my entire budget for her birthday. Hrm.

I have the single version of that Waring and it's awesome. The heat is perfectly even and the waffles never stick.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

What are some good books about the science of food and cooking? I'm looking for something that gets deep into chemical reactions and such, like a textbook for a food science class. I want to understand intimately why foods do what they do.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Chard posted:

What are some good books about the science of food and cooking? I'm looking for something that gets deep into chemical reactions and such, like a textbook for a food science class. I want to understand intimately why foods do what they do.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Geeks-Science-Great-Hacks/dp/0596805888/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315929045&sr=8-1

I got this book as a birthday gift and it is right up your alley. It's very into the actual science of what is happening. It's also not dry like a textbook, it's pretty entertaining.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chard posted:

McGee's On food and Cooking is really the definitive text for looking at cooking from a scientific standpoint. It's basically Alton Brown's bible, and is a fascinating read. aside from the content, McGee is also an excellent writer, and presents the information in an engaging way.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Thanks, those both look like just what I wanted!

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

McGee's On food and Cooking is really the definitive text for looking at cooking from a scientific standpoint. It's basically Alton Brown's bible, and is a fascinating read. aside from the content, McGee is also an excellent writer, and presents the information in an engaging way.

The Cooking for Geeks author references that book constantly too.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I'll probably buy the McGee and get Potter from the library, they both look interesting.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
This is my new toy:

so happy!

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Dane posted:

This is my new toy:

so happy!

Unless I'm seeing scale totally wrong that seems really, really low.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Test Pattern posted:

Unless I'm seeing scale totally wrong that seems really, really low.

It is fairly low, but I'll extend the legs somehow. The block is the main thing.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Replace the legs with taller ones. In any circumstance you can't make it much taller without having an additional set of crossbeams to stabilize the legs.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Aren't chopping blocks supposed to be fairly low in the first place?

(nice looking block!)

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
best part is price: 3 bottles of cheapish red wine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Anyone have any great suggestions for places to get reasonably priced chef's coats online? I'm having a hell of a time finding anything decent locally, and the bakery is killing my cheap line coats from wear.

• Locked thread