Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

I've been poking around and it appears to work off of an FTP server, which I could set up easily enough I think. I had in mind starting a modern league at opening day 2011 with however many SA folk and let the AI control the rest of the teams (I was thinking randomly assigned teams instead of the usual lame dibs system). I don't know how the "turns" work, per say, though, and that could get pretty tedious.

edit: although reading the forums on the subject, it appears as though there are a lot of issues with the online portion

stuart scott fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

stuart scott irl posted:

(I was thinking randomly assigned teams instead of the usual lame dibs system).

Seems to me that you either ought to randomize only when there's a conflict, or start the league with a fantasy draft (and relax/abolish real-life financial restrictions). Even just having the computer fantasy-draft players to fill all the teams would be reasonable.

Basically, what I'm saying is that I'd volunteer (if I had the game) to lose a zillion games as the Pirates, but it would be horrible to get randomly stuck with the Astros (or for a non-Bucs fan to have to play as the Pirates when I would have taken them).

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Yeah that's true. That's true.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Shotgun Rays.

But I would swallow Washington or Oakland because I love failing with Small Market Teams (TM).

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Mornacale posted:

Basically, what I'm saying is that I'd volunteer (if I had the game) to lose a zillion games as the Pirates, but it would be horrible to get randomly stuck with the Astros (or for a non-Bucs fan to have to play as the Pirates when I would have taken them).

the first thing I do in all my leagues is contract two teams.

it's almost always Tampa Bay and Houston. gently caress 'em.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I'm having trouble with one of my leagues. It's a historical league and it's 1997 and it says I need to submit a 25 man protected roster for the expansion, but it doesn't have a link to where I can do this. If I go to the draft, it is just the amateur draft that was just completed. What the hell do I do?

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

goddamn this game got dark, never seen this happen before... but I just saw a guy "fell off his roof" and is apparently paralyzed.

That is loving hardcore for an injury system.

con
Aug 5, 2004

There's always next year...
And yet in all the years I have been playing this game not one guy has broken a collarbone carrying deer meat or sliced their hand open while opening a DVD case.

Also, I won't have the time to put an online league together. But if someone else wants to take the reigns I can help as much as possible.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I used commish mode to make my long time (as in, played until he was 44) future hall of fame player the team's manager as soon as he retired. Then the very first thing that happens is I get an event talking about him opening up a microbrewery and bar near the stadium.

OOTP is really great

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Telex posted:

goddamn this game got dark, never seen this happen before... but I just saw a guy "fell off his roof" and is apparently paralyzed.

That is loving hardcore for an injury system.

This game likes to break skulls. It usually only happens to really good players, too.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Please, one time I had a player injured because he got hit by a train.

He was out for a week.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
The beauty of OOTP is that you can add incidents and injuries and be as silly as you want to be. I had one player get injured pretending he was Batman, and another getting injuried in a charity pay-per-view pro wrestling match.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
In a league I'm in we have Vaginal Irritation as an injury.

Crud Bonemeal
Feb 9, 2006

But for us, it's not about one year. It's about trying to build a sustainable winner. If we build it correctly, we should be able to build a sustainable winner for the long term.
I love adding injuries and incidents to OOTP. Except for the time my superstar catcher broke his neck trying to hang himself :smith:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It saddened me in in development they shied away from the sillier injuries towards the more realistic ones.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

nevermind, clearly there's a box that does exactly what I want.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
So where/how can I get picture packs for OOTP? The threads in the OOTP forums don't seem to have links and when I click the attachment icon by the thread title it just opens a pop up window and nothing happens.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

AlleyViper posted:

So where/how can I get picture packs for OOTP? The threads in the OOTP forums don't seem to have links and when I click the attachment icon by the thread title it just opens a pop up window and nothing happens.

Have you tried going to "Add-Ons Central" in the OOTP menu?

There are a couple of picture packs in there.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
NM, figured out that it was set to facegen before searching for pictures.

AlleyViper fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 31, 2011

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Speaking of injuries, is it possible to use Commish Mode in BBM '11 to un-injure players? I have had about 8 players go down with serious injuries and am prepared to cheat.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

AlleyViper posted:

http://web.mac.com/sixwilsons/OOTPMods/Main.html

Good for all sorts of OOTP mods.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

:stare:

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Marquis de Pyro posted:

:stare:

That's pretty awesome. Did his age in the game change?

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
Man, the worst that's happened to me is my backup MIF got his fingers severed in a lawnmower.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Mornacale posted:

That's pretty awesome. Did his age in the game change?

Nothing happened during that season, and then my owner Barry Bonds died of old age which was when I decided to wrap up this save. I'm not sure if the game decided he was that age afterall, nothing happened but he was older, or if something would have changed if I kept playing.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That's really cool, if I was a prospect I'd lie and say I was 3 years younger. (Assuming I had a skill at baseball, was in my mid twenties and being scouted from outside the US)

Looking at getting this OOTP league off the ground.

What are the thoughts on what to do? I had a few scenarios:

1) Fantasy players, potential stars out of five, current ratings, no potential ratings. - Provides some mystery in the draft, you know how good a player should be but don't know exactly what type of player he will turn out to be.

2) Fantasy players, current stars out of five, no ratings. - Totally brutal, like stats only but with the stars system so you can get some sort of feel of how good a current player is. Makes player development a mixture of luck, research and witchcraft. Could totally turn off potential beginners.

3) Fantasy players, full stars, full stats. - Beginner version. Everyone is on an even playing field. Some of the mystique is taken out of player development, but less maddening and more fair.

4) Real players, current day. As is, but we might put a luxury tax at 100million so that we can compete with the Red Sox and Yankees.

5) Real players, fictional teams. Redistribute some of the talent through a fantasy draft. The only problem is incorporating the draft, unless you were happy with just letting the computer sort it out randomly.

6. Real players, historical but with draft. Start at 1900 and play through to current day but with a draft each year. Could be fun to create our own GoonBall world.

Anyway, just some thoughts on what to do.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Sep 10, 2011

con
Aug 5, 2004

There's always next year...
I like 1 or 2.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Playing OOTP 12, as the Yankees. Swisher is having a decent year, and I shop him around, looking for a starting pitcher. Toronto offers me Bautista.

Yes I'll take that thank you very much.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
The OOTP11 league that I commish has several openings

New York Yankees - http://toonathecat.net/scmlb/news/html/teams/team_48.html

They have the largest media contract in the league, some excellent pieces, but not much of a minor league system

Detroit Tigers - http://toonathecat.net/scmlb/news/html/teams/team_40.html

Coming off a 99-win season, lots of revenue, good young players, one stud pitching prospect, but a thin minor leagues.

Colorado Rockies - http://toonathecat.net/scmlb/news/html/teams/team_39.html

Terrible team but the 2nd overall pick in the upcoming draft, and has the best hitter in the league at 1B.

LA Dodgers - http://toonathecat.net/scmlb/news/html/teams/team_45.html

A few good pitchers, couple good hitters, high pick, okay minor leagues.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Dimaggio who?

As long as stuff like this keeps happening I don't know how I'll ever quit playing

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Toona the Cat posted:

The OOTP11 league that I commish has several openings

New York Yankees - http://toonathecat.net/scmlb/news/html/teams/team_48.html

They have the largest media contract in the league, some excellent pieces, but not much of a minor league system

Detroit Tigers - http://toonathecat.net/scmlb/news/html/teams/team_40.html

Coming off a 99-win season, lots of revenue, good young players, one stud pitching prospect, but a thin minor leagues.

Colorado Rockies - http://toonathecat.net/scmlb/news/html/teams/team_39.html

Terrible team but the 2nd overall pick in the upcoming draft, and has the best hitter in the league at 1B.

LA Dodgers - http://toonathecat.net/scmlb/news/html/teams/team_45.html

A few good pitchers, couple good hitters, high pick, okay minor leagues.

If you're curious about the league, there are several goons in it as well. OKCecil, tadashi, kensei, Harlockian, Deathlove, and Tavarin are all either current members, or are former members who had to leave for various personal issues. The core owner group has been in leagues together dating back to 2002.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Toona the Cat posted:

If you're curious about the league, there are several goons in it as well. OKCecil, tadashi, kensei, Harlockian, Deathlove, and Tavarin are all either current members, or are former members who had to leave for various personal issues. The core owner group has been in leagues together dating back to 2002.

The last goon who ran the Dodgers won the WS in his first season :(

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

tadashi posted:

The last goon who ran the Dodgers won the WS in his first season :(

loving Deathlove. :argh:

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Ugh, this league continues to tempt me. What's the time commitment like? If it's not too bad, I might be interested in running the Yankees or Rockies into the ground.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
It's really what you make it. It's kind of like updating a fantasy team 4 times a week, which really only takes a few minutes. Make your lineup changes, waive guys, offer extensions..maybe 10-15 minutes? You'll probably get a good bit of trade offers, depending on the roster.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Mornacale posted:

Ugh, this league continues to tempt me. What's the time commitment like? If it's not too bad, I might be interested in running the Yankees or Rockies into the ground.

I feel like it's less of a commitment than fantasy baseball because you just have to open OOTP 11 and import the new file about every other day. As long as you don't have injuries or don't want to change anything, you don't even have to make changes or export.

Also, now is a good time to decide as it's the offseason and you can bid on free agents, make trades, and draft instead of letting the computer set your roster for the next season for you.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 21, 2011

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Eh, gently caress it. Give me the Rockies or Yankees, whichever team you'd rather see lose more (or that someone else doesn't want).

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Mornacale posted:

Eh, gently caress it. Give me the Rockies or Yankees, whichever team you'd rather see lose more (or that someone else doesn't want).

Take the Yankees. You'll have to register at our league's forum - http://forums.simcentral.net. When the admin approves your account, you'll be able to post. I'll get you an updated file shortly.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Toona the Cat posted:

Take the Yankees. You'll have to register at our league's forum - http://forums.simcentral.net. When the admin approves your account, you'll be able to post. I'll get you an updated file shortly.

Alright. I'm visiting MY GIRLFRIEND over the weekend, so I may not be able to do much til Monday anyhow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Mornacale posted:

Alright. I'm visiting MY GIRLFRIEND over the weekend, so I may not be able to do much til Monday anyhow.

No problem.

EDIT: http://www.toonathecat.net/SCMLB.lg.rar is the link to the file. Create an SCMLB.lg directory under your saved_games directory and extract there.

• Locked thread