Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Browsed this thread a bit the other day.

Stopped by the Target today, recalled the thread and my memories of owning about half the Castle series as it existed in the mid '80s, stopped by the toy aisle.

Spent the afternoon on this.

Now actually giving half a thought to buying one of those modular sets as a fun on-and-off spare time project.

Thanks a lot lego thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Dr. Platypus posted:

Saw Escape From Dragon's Prison for $30 unopened at goodwill. Still kind of regret not picking it up, but I already have the set and don't really have the money at the moment.

That's a $20 set anyway. Goodwill stuff is supposed to be cheaper :argh:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Flavor Bear posted:

That's a $20 set anyway. Goodwill stuff is supposed to be cheaper :argh:

Escape from Dragon's Prison was the $50 set from the first wave of Kingdoms, actually. I forget what the new $20 one with the Dragon Knight horse barding is called, but it's similar as gently caress because apparently all these guys do is build jails all day.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Well duh, all of Lego history is filled with police states. The dragon dudes are actually the ancestors of the Police and Space Police races.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Travis343 posted:

Escape from Dragon's Prison was the $50 set from the first wave of Kingdoms, actually. I forget what the new $20 one with the Dragon Knight horse barding is called, but it's similar as gently caress because apparently all these guys do is build jails all day.

It is called the exact same thing, apparently.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Odd that the seagulls are "built" when they tend to just have single piece animals now.

It's like a return to the original castle horses.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Ohhh I saw that the other day online. It looks like a nice smallish set.

Testro
May 2, 2009
I have the lighthouse in my 'to build' pile. A friend of mine went to New York and offered to bring some back for me, which gave me a nice discount on UK prices! Looks good; I might crack it open this weekend.

Tony Sorete
Jun 19, 2011

Manager de rock

FreakyZoid posted:

Odd that the seagulls are "built" when they tend to just have single piece animals now.

It's like a return to the original castle horses.

The lighthouse is a Creator set; they still keep the "tradition" of building most of the model with bricks. Also, they're bigger and more detailed on the outside than most of the Town/City house sets.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Huh. But look, this is the one I was thinking of. "Prison Tower Rescue". You can see why I'd get confused.

So yeah if it actually was "Escape from Dragon's Prison" and not "Prison Tower Rescue" that's a dang rip-off. You also have to watch out for "Prison Carriage Rescue" which is an even smaller set.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
All the Mastermind Toys locations in Toronto have S5 now. I stopped by there yesterday and picked up the graduate, PI, lumberjack, gangster, royal guard, and eskimo. I checked every package and couldn't find any lizard man or dwarf, pretty sure someone had been there before me. Also, if they've got some S2 left (the did at the Markham location) it's buy 3 get 1 free.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
It was Prison Tower Rescue. I confuse those all the time because of their incredibly similar names.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Tony Sorete posted:

The lighthouse is a Creator set; they still keep the "tradition" of building most of the model with bricks. Also, they're bigger and more detailed on the outside than most of the Town/City house sets.

yeah, like the adorable dog from Hillside House:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Sockser posted:

That's really amazing, and I would love to do it, but I usually just exchange tanks. :(

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

ChesterJT posted:

That's really amazing, and I would love to do it, but I usually just exchange tanks. :(

So keep painting 'em until everyone has one.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
Just a heads up, TRU has a BOGO%50 sale on all Lego construction sets on 9/9 and 9/10 only. Also has the Free Harry Potter Trolley set for purchases over $30.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Veeb0rg posted:

Just a heads up, TRU has a BOGO%50 sale on all Lego construction sets on 9/9 and 9/10 only. Also has the Free Harry Potter Trolley set for purchases over $30.

poo poo, really? I was hoping for one, but, like, next month. I just spent $500 in new computer parts and told myself I wasn't going to buy any Lego this month.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Found the series 5 packs. Correctly felt out a mobster by the hat, but mistook the eskimo's giant hat for Godzilla, and the zookeeper's hair for the gladiator's helmet. I'll get you two eventually!

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Pyroclastic posted:

poo poo, really? I was hoping for one, but, like, next month. I just spent $500 in new computer parts and told myself I wasn't going to buy any Lego this month.

I've been holding onto a gift card and waiting for another bogo sale. I'm sorry to hear about your wallet.. :)

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Haven't seen any S5 yet, and I imagine it'll be like the previous series here - the second they touch a shelf, GONE GONE GONE.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Was getting groceries at Walmart when I was drawn into the Lego aisle by an Alien Conquest walking pod for only $15 (also the PQ biplane which I already have and some ninja thing I give no gently caress about). Then among the clearance poo poo I noticed the Toy Story wild west train on sale for $40, one left. Had never planned on getting it so I debated for a second, then remembered my birthday is coming up.

e: it has so much dynamite :3:

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
A week or so back, somebody asked if there was a website where you can build a database of your collection, and then you could find MOCs that you can build using the pieces you have. I suggested Peeron, but explained that it only works of .dat files, and those are few and far between.

Brothers Brick posted a link to a new website: Rebrickable. It's much like Peeron; it has a database of official Lego sets, and you can sign up to the website and make a database of which sets you own. You can then find other Lego sets you want to try to build using the pieces you already own.

The difference with this site, though, is that it also has a database of MOCs. It's small yet, there are 24 right now. But they're pretty good, most of which are large Technic sets. I see quite a few super car designs (which I have been wanting to build myself), and Sariel has two models on here as well. Not much on quantity, but the quality looks to be really nice.

One guy on here has a few cars he has labeled as 'RC', which I am very interested in. Gonna give one of these a try this weekend.

Edit: Their database is nowhere near complete, though. I imported my 24 set collection from Peeron, and it only found half of them.

Revol fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 9, 2011

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Series 6:

Does anybody else feel that this set is pushing it a bit far? With square robot heads and genie bodies, grey alien heads that don't even look like part of a LEGO line and statue mini-figs, it just doesn't feel as LEGO'y.

I do like the female astronaut, warrior and bandit a lot though.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

ireladd posted:

Series 6:

Does anybody else feel that this set is pushing it a bit far? With square robot heads and genie bodies, grey alien heads that don't even look like part of a LEGO line and statue mini-figs, it just doesn't feel as LEGO'y.

Other than the doctor and skateboarder #5 this set owns and you are wrong

Though the alien head does look stupid.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
How did that robot get here? What does he want?

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

ireladd posted:

Series 6:

Nice to finally see a photo of all 16. 10 have been knocking around for a while now. I like a lot of these. Personally, I'm never concerned with how Lego-y a part is, except that it be a well-made part and useful for more than one thing. For a while Lego was making huge one-piece vehicle bottoms and ugly canopies that are hard to fit in with anything else. On the other hand, I imagine we'll see a genie-bottom mech or starfighter before too long.

I could do without another skateboarder, though.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I do appreciate that the skater's shirt has the lego skull on it and the doctor's x-ray is a lego skeleton. :3:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The robot's a must, also Mrs Spatch-eh-men, Statue of Liberty and the Centurwion.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah, I'm digging the robot, spacewoman, Centurion, and mechanic. Might try to pick up the alien for the hell of it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

ireladd posted:

Series 6:

I just realised the butcher is holding the meat bone that the zombie was originally supposed to come with before they switched it out with the chicken leg.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

ireladd posted:

Series 6:

I love them, especially the robot, minotaur, leprechaun and beowulf.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I want that loving teddy bear so bad. :3:

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Yeah, So I took advantage of the TRU sale, Bought the 2 Cargo train sets.

Also picked up 2 s5 royal guardsmen. Anyone wanna trade? I need to finish my s1 and s4 sets before I start collecting s5.

Also talked with someone who worked for Lego while I was there. She is one of the regional Lego reps and has worked for Lego for 15 years. Apparently TRU is going to be getting the 2012 sets in late December before anyone else. Also Lego was offered the Transformers licensing, but past because they don't actually transform.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Alien Defender (7050) is such an ugly little set, but it's what I have handy, so I keep pulling it apart and trying to build little MOCs. I'm much happier with this one than the last one:

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

What is the guy with the teddy bear supposed to be?

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

The Duke posted:

What is the guy with the teddy bear supposed to be?

Sleepy.

Ockhams Crowbar
May 7, 2007
Always the simplest solution.
Loving the Roman legionnaire - I may have to track that one down.

I've seen custom built Colosseums and such, but have there been any official Lego sets dealing with Rome or its architecture? It seems like such a rich vein to tap.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

Ockhams Crowbar posted:

Loving the Roman legionnaire - I may have to track that one down.

I've seen custom built Colosseums and such, but have there been any official Lego sets dealing with Rome or its architecture? It seems like such a rich vein to tap.

Yeah I was just going to post this. Instead of castle they should do Romans or Greeks. I want an army of those legionnaires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Time Cowboy posted:

Alien Defender (7050) is such an ugly little set, but it's what I have handy, so I keep pulling it apart and trying to build little MOCs. I'm much happier with this one than the last one:

That looks really awesome, can't decide if it's some sort of space fighter or hover racer or some such. The guys expression just pulls it all together.