Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FateoMcSkippy posted:

That wasn't the real reason. That was the "look ska kids i'm cool" reason.

Real reason is cause I don't have the cash after getting tickets to both Bosstones/DKM/Street Dogs shows at Fenway.

You bastard. I'm super jealous. How much were they?

e: I'm so broke the only reason I got to see the show last night was because I work there :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

drunk asian neighbor posted:

You bastard. I'm super jealous. How much were they?

e: I'm so broke the only reason I got to see the show last night was because I work there :(

$40 each. Fuckin' assigned seats only though :argh:

But they are setting the stage up on the bullpen roof and playing to the grandstands so we'll still be close! :shobon:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
That's loving awesome. I wish I were going, all of those bands own :(

RoofieMyselfForFun
Apr 5, 2010

Just got back from working the RBF/Streetlight show.

1st opener, Rodeo Ruby Love, was pretty terrible.

2nd opener, New Riot, were loving awesome. They're from the UK, and they play some awesome punk-ska. Their bass player gave me their album after the show. Highly recommend checking out their Myspace, http://www.myspace.com/newriotuk . The songs on there don't do them justice, they were really great live.
Also, during their set Tomas walked by me to the backstage area and my heart beat a little faster :swoon:

Streetlight were fantastic as always. New guy on trombone definitely knows what he's doing. Setlist was (order is probably way off):
Watch it Crash
Mephisto's Cafe
Better Place, Better Time
Skyscraper
Forty Days
Such Great Heights
Would You Be Impressed
Me and Julio
Here's to Life
Moment of Silence/Moment of Violence
Big Sleep

Like was said before, no Point/Keasbey/Counterpoint or Everything Went Numb, but I guess I can understand them being kind of sick of those songs. I'm pretty sure Tomas said something to that effect when I saw him a little while ago.

Reel Big Fish...well, I almost hate to say it, but they loving killed it. Aaron's energy is just infectious. As much as I hated seeing Scott go, I have to say that the guy they got to replace him is pretty drat good. There were only a couple of times when his absence was really noticeable, and it was mostly due to not having 2 guitars. They played the standards, but they also played a good amount of lesser-known songs. They also got the massive circle pit on the floor to form a several hundred-person conga line. Despite the fact that a good chunk of the original members are gone, and the fact that they haven't put out a really good album in years, they're just so much loving fun live, as they've always been.

Awesome show. Fateo you are lame for not going, especially for such a weak reason.

Just saw the show tonight In Poughkeepsie NY and it was by far the most amazing show I've been to. Really really hot in the Chance Theater though, felt like i was going to pass out before Streetlight even made it on stage. But when they went on the place was electric. got myself into the pit for their second to last song and that was a bad idea given the temperature, but in the brief moments when you weren't being jostled around there were plenty of ladies who pretty much said "gently caress it" and went topless in the pit... a small gift for standing the massive amounts of body heat.

New Riot was fantastic, picked up a copy of their cd after the show and got to chatting with them. My guitarist went with me and started asking them questions like who their favorite football(soccer) team was and I asked the same retarded questions "So how do you like america!?!" :downs:

Also have to agree about Rodeo Ruby Love... fuckin awful. Only difference was that they were the second opening band so you went from "Yeah New Riot is awesome!!!" to "wow this band is horrible... they got a tour with RBF and SM?" There was a section of the crowd that started chanting "Go Back To Indiana!" Perhaps they were just playing for the wrong crowd, followed and awesome act, or it wasn't their best night so I'll leave judgement for when I hear their stuff again but it was seriously lacking. They only got a few pity claps from the crowd and a loud applause when then got off the drat stage.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

RoofieMyselfForFun posted:

Also have to agree about Rodeo Ruby Love... fuckin awful. Only difference was that they were the second opening band so you went from "Yeah New Riot is awesome!!!" to "wow this band is horrible... they got a tour with RBF and SM?"

I had a similar experience when I saw Larry & His Flask/Terrible Things/Streetlight a couple months ago. LAHF killed it, got the crowd really nice and pumped and ready to move playing really energetic and all this cool unique stuff with vocal harmonies and loving Jeshua jumping into the crowd with his goddamn standup bass and holy poo poo they put on a great show. Then Terrible Things comes on and it's this really boring screamy pop-punk stuff that really just kinda turned the crowd off except for the dozen or so kids all wearing Terrible Things shirts that... left after they went offstage. Then of course Streetlight killed it and I got to give Jeshua from LAHF a big sweaty hug and chat with Matt Stewart for like 2 minutes about their first time coming to my little podunk excuse for a city for the first time and blah blah blah, now I wanna go see Streetlight again. :(

Megaspam
Mar 1, 2007

In this ever changing world in which we live in.
From the DC show tonight:

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

hedgecore posted:

I got a hickey

Just seeing this now, but it's equally true.

Also, I've been listening to Vacation pretty non-stop for the past few days. It's a really incredible record.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
If anybody cares I'm in a new side project with Mike Costa (BTMI!'s non-iPod drummer) called Binary Heart. It's not ska... the electric stuff sounds like something in between the Smoking Popes and the Get Up Kids.

http://binaryheartny.tumblr.com/

He just released an acoustic EP, and we have full band stuff coming out later this year. Hooray!

hedgecore fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 1, 2011

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Jeff did an interview with AV Club http://www.avclub.com/denver/articles/bomb-the-music-industry,59982/

loldance
Nov 30, 2005

It's laundry day; I'm down to my priest outfit.
I got to go to Warped Tour this year and took some pictures and took a video of Big D Dave jumping into the crowd bein' a weirdo. Sound quality is no good but, you know. Also saw the Aggrolites but was too busy groovin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lWWTtU1xg4

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/102213748062572622591/albums/5635915563835489233

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.
Can't complain.

Edit: What I mean is Vacation has surpassed all expectations, holy poo poo.

Gabbleduck fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 14, 2011

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

If you have turntable.fm, there's a decent group of us that run this ska channel every week day: http://turntable.fm/ska_music (also can get there from http://skasucks.com )

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
I love that it seems that every ska community that pops up is really just the same people over and over again.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yeah, I didn't realize you guys were in there, but I'm a regular in that room.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

lessthankyle posted:

I love that it seems that every ska community that pops up is really just the same people over and over again.

Seems that way. Lots of CTSka people have been showing up recently.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

But seriously, what ever happened to Westbound Train? Last I heard they toured Spain, lost a bunch of gear, and then disappeared.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

But seriously, what ever happened to Westbound Train? Last I heard they toured Spain, lost a bunch of gear, and then disappeared.

They're still around, I think they're on a break right now. I work with the dude who plays guitar, an AFAIK they're just doing their own things currently.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

lessthankyle posted:

There's only like twenty people in a state that listen to ska, it's not that surprising.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Double posting to say that Upstate NY goons need to hit up Syracuse on November 15, Mustard Plug is gonna be in town with Flatfoot 56.

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

Finally made my mind up about Vacation, I quite like it, it's a good album but Adults!!! is still my favourite

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
Has anyone else entirely missed an awesome band? I'm just now noticing that I never listened to MU330, and they are loving awesome!

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

aricoarena posted:

Has anyone else entirely missed an awesome band? I'm just now noticing that I never listened to MU330, and they are loving awesome!

See them live if you ever get a chance.

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.

Xemloth posted:

Finally made my mind up about Vacation, I quite like it, it's a good album but Adults!!! is still my favourite

I think I've said before that with all previous btmi albums i've actually disliked them at first until each one has grown on me until I think it's the best thing ever. With Vacation I liked it straight away and have listened to it every day since it's been released.

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010
Just a [rather late] heads up to any Ska fans living in England...

Folkstone's Skabour Festival is going ahead this coming weekend. Headlining Friday night is The Selecter and The Beat, joined over the weekend by loads of other great bands (mostly performing covers of other two-tone bands).

Should be a good weekend, and is really cheap.

Here's the site: http://folkestoneskabourfestival.co.uk/2011/

Who's with me?

loldance
Nov 30, 2005

It's laundry day; I'm down to my priest outfit.

Sandwolf posted:

The bass player and drummer and maybe more play with Bucket in The Toasters. And Void Union (which consists of basically WBT) just released a new LP -- http://voidunion.bandcamp.com/album/higher-guns

It's really good

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Anyone who missed the Bosstones shows at Fenway is a horrible person. Scalpers were selling tickets at or below face value outside. And once the show started, the first 3 rows got swarmed so who cares where your ticket said you were sitting. My ticket was for 46 rows back but

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Scalpers were selling tickets at or below face value outside.

god DAMNIT.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

god DAMNIT.

My buddy Bill got kicked out after Street Dogs night one for "being a liability". He bought a ticket for $20 off a scalper and came right back in.

Tonight I asked a scalper how much they were selling for on the walk up from Kenmore and he said face value.

My buddy who bought his on StubHub 3 days ago was pissed cause he payed like $50 a ticket.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I wish they'd tour elsewhere again. :(

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010
So where do I start with The Mighty Mighty Bosstones? I saw them live at Reading and really enjoyed myself, dancing like a crazy at the back of the tent on my own.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Pay Attention is my favorite.

I guess Ska-core might be a good place to start though.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
You can just start with Live From the Middle East, it's great and covers a lot of years.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Josh's suggestion is probably the best if you want one album that's a broad overview. The most famous studio album is Let's Face It, by a mile. All of the studio albums are pretty good.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FateoMcSkippy posted:

My buddy Bill got kicked out after Street Dogs night one for "being a liability". He bought a ticket for $20 off a scalper and came right back in.

Tonight I asked a scalper how much they were selling for on the walk up from Kenmore and he said face value.

My buddy who bought his on StubHub 3 days ago was pissed cause he payed like $50 a ticket.

Too bad I have to work the Erasure show across the street tonight...FML

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
And Second Surge takes home a win for the ska room in the turntable.fm DJ battle. Last song played: Paris Hilton. I swear every word of this post is true. :)

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

crazyvanman posted:

So where do I start with The Mighty Mighty Bosstones? I saw them live at Reading and really enjoyed myself, dancing like a crazy at the back of the tent on my own.

Yeah start with the live album. Then just get the rest cause they're all great. Pay Attention if you want more mellow skacore sound, More Noise or Devil's Night Out if you want more faster harder skacore sounds.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

guppy posted:

And Second Surge takes home a win for the ska room in the turntable.fm DJ battle. Last song played: Paris Hilton. I swear every word of this post is true. :)

That was great, haha. We have 2 other potential DJs to make it too.

Who are you on TT? I'm Drax.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
Holy poo poo Indiana is getting some ska love. 24th Mustard Plug and Green Room Rockers in Indianapolis. Then on the 8th of October Eastern Standard Time and Mr. T-bone in Lafayette, IN :neckbeard:

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

Off to see Laura Stevenson and the Cans tonight, very much looking forward to it :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I have a crush on Laura Stevenson.