Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanrah
May 6, 2006
These are small, Those are far away
Not sure about Boss Alien specifically, but I know a few ex-BlackRock people were goons, so there's a good chance.

Also, Hi fellow Brighton goon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
No engineering manager in the world cares what the bizdev guy thinks about the style of his/her candidates, folks. Use common sense and don't look/smell like a slob. Beyond that all that matters is that you feel and look comfortable and confident.

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com
Unless you're going for an outward-facing job, like PR/Community or a producer role (those guys are getting more and more facetime with the public every year).

Anyhow, just started a GDC Online (Austin) thread. It's here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3436375&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post395347310

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DancingMachine posted:

No engineering manager in the world cares what the bizdev guy thinks about the style of his/her candidates, folks.
A typical engineering manager might not weigh appearance too heavily when making a hiring decision, but game development isn't a solo sport.

You have to work with other people who won't enjoy working days, nights, and weekends with someone who doesn't take care of themselves. They may even avoid you, pass you over for promotions or invitations to networking opportunities, or hold your appearance and their first impression against you in other ways that harm your career, your chances of surviving the next round of layoffs, your team's productivity, or how your project is treated within the company. If all you're thinking about is getting hired because you can perform the specific tasks outlined in the job specification, you're not a great candidate; you're just a passable one.

I was also responding to Shalinor, who's starting a company. If you have greater aspirations than working on other people's games, you should be cognizant of, and careful with, your reputation with the people who matter to realizing your dream. This is a small industry with even smaller companies. Management tends to stay management and word travels fast between meetings. Make sure that when people talk about you, they're thinking kindly of you. You can do that by not only performing your job well, but also by looking your best and thereby lifting the spirits of those around you.

Adraeus fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 11, 2011

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
I'm glad we talked about suitthread. I'd now like to talk about shavethread.

I haven't shaved in years. I use a hairtrimmer without a guard to "shave" because I hate actual shaving. As a result I get a result where the hair is very short (less than 1/8") but still not clean shaven. Is this okay? I look a lot younger when I shave and I'm not very good at it so I'm bound to get nicks. But then, this is a job interview and I'd very much not like to do something that will cause a problem.

Most companies (especially game companies) don't care about things like this anymore, so I think I should be good. But, wanting to cover all my bases, I'm asking for opinions here.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Vino posted:

I haven't shaved in years. I use a hairtrimmer without a guard to "shave" because I hate actual shaving. As a result I get a result where the hair is very short (less than 1/8") but still not clean shaven. Is this okay? I look a lot younger when I shave and I'm not very good at it so I'm bound to get nicks. But then, this is a job interview and I'd very much not like to do something that will cause a problem.

Most companies (especially game companies) don't care about things like this anymore, so I think I should be good. But, wanting to cover all my bases, I'm asking for opinions here.

It really depends on your gender.

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

Vino posted:

As long as it doesn't look like a bird's nest, you're normally in the clear.

And hell, if it did look exactly like a birds nest (or a windmill), then you might have an artist job in the bag. Never know, might meet a fellow 'stache-sculptor and you two can talk shop for the entire interview. I'd listen to a podcast about beards.

coeranys
Aug 25, 2003

They shall soon rule where man rules now. After summer is winter, and after winter summer. They wait patient and potent, for here shall They reign again.

Vino posted:

Sculpt and shave the neckline. Do not just let that poo poo grow willy nilly down into your chest hair. You need to have an established neckline if you want to be able to pull it off as intentional, no matter how regularly you trim it down if you just let it run roughshod all over your face, it does not look intentional.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

coeranys posted:

Sculpt and shave the neckline. Do not just let that poo poo grow willy nilly down into your chest hair. You need to have an established neckline if you want to be able to pull it off as intentional, no matter how regularly you trim it down if you just let it run roughshod all over your face, it does not look intentional.

Yeah, poo poo like this is never attractive or professional-looking, if you ask me:

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

hailthefish posted:

Yeah, poo poo like this is never attractive or professional-looking, if you ask me:
Definitely, I refuse to work with programmers who look like that. I assume that their code will be as slapdash as their facial grooming regime.

(This is a joke, by the way. I think you all must work in very different game studios to the ones I've worked in. And if someone's interviewing you and turns you down because you're wearing the wrong type of shirt - well you probably got a lucky break because that person sounds like a mental, power-hungry, oval office to work underneath, who has a bizarre set of values about what is and what isn't important in a games programmer.)

coeranys
Aug 25, 2003

They shall soon rule where man rules now. After summer is winter, and after winter summer. They wait patient and potent, for here shall They reign again.

FreakyZoid posted:

Definitely, I refuse to work with programmers who look like that. I assume that their code will be as slapdash as their facial grooming regime.

(This is a joke, by the way. I think you all must work in very different game studios to the ones I've worked in. And if someone's interviewing you and turns you down because you're wearing the wrong type of shirt - well you probably got a lucky break because that person sounds like a mental, power-hungry, oval office to work underneath, who has a bizarre set of values about what is and what isn't important in a games programmer.)

The discussion as we're having it probably would reside more comfortably in some thread about how to dress and behave as an adult, and isn't games-specific. There is no world in which it is appropriate to dress like a slob and look like you can't groom yourself when interviewing for a job, especially in an industry that is known to be as competitive as this one.

Nobody is going to turn you down just because you're wearing the wrong type of shirt, but when jobs get 100 applicants, and they end up interviewing 10 people who are all at least ostensibly similarly qualified, what is it that you think influences the final decision?

If you're good enough to crush all comers when in the running for a job, you wouldn't be in here asking for advice on what to wear, so it seems reasonable (or even a bit generous) to assume that if you're in that situation, you're at a level where you are qualified for the job in question, but probably not so much more so than any other applicant that the impression you make on first meeting is unimportant.

Edit: Basically, wear nice clothes, including accessories, smile and make eye contact, have a firm handshake and the ability to make conversation both within and outside of your field. This is generic interviewing advice, but games is not immune to the applicability thereof.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

FreakyZoid posted:

Looking nice won't get you hired, but what I've heard from recruiter-friends is that they're keeping an eye out for anything that triggers their "instant fail" checklist. After dealing with thousand of applicants, it gets to the point where it only takes one thing and they move onto the next person.

So, it won't get you hired by looking nice, but it might get you not-hired by not looking nice. One of them even told me that they could give a drat what you look like after you're hired, but it's a privilege earned by having passed the interview.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I wore black jeans, a tucked in button up, and a belt for my interview. And some black shoes (not sneakers)...although I'm pretty sure I got the job based on my art test not so much what I was wearing :P

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I generally assume that fat dudes like myself can't wear button ups so good so when I need to dress up fancy its a Mono-tone t-shirt under a undone button up shirt and my good jeans. It tends to be smart enough for clubbing/interviews but casual enough for going out to the pub

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

FreakyZoid posted:

This is a joke, by the way. I think you all must work in very different game studios to the ones I've worked in. And if someone's interviewing you and turns you down because you're wearing the wrong type of shirt - well you probably got a lucky break because...
Nobody makes decisions in a strictly rational manner using strictly objective information. First impressions and appearance matter. How you dress, how you walk, how you carry yourself, how you speak, whether you roll your eyes, whether you face toward the person speaking to you, whether you slouch or lean toward the speaker, whether you cross your arms, the firmness and duration and texture of your handshake, etc., all communicate nonverbal messages to other people. People use that information to make decisions. Intrinsically, you know this. You've heard of bias. Assuming you weren't born yesterday, you've likely experienced bias, perhaps in the form of prejudice or discrimination. Bias is an invisible hand that influences what people think about the information they acquire. Bias is usually subtle, not explicit. A candidate wouldn't be skipped over because the hiring manager checks the "not wearing Banana Republic" box on his/her checklist. A hiring manager might not even realize that his/her thinking is so influenced. Nonverbal awareness is a skill that very few people are practiced in, even among those who are naturally effective or trained communicators.

Adraeus fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Sep 11, 2011

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Where?

The one office in the business center in Northridge, Ca.

edit: Contributing to suitchat, I thought it was obvious to look very presentable. In all my previous jobs I've gone in with nice shoes, slacks, nice belt, and a dress shirt. Tie if necessary. Never had to wear a jacket. While you'll mostly be gauged upon the merit of your work, first appearances are hugely key. If you look like a slob you shouldn't even bother.

TopHatGenius fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Sep 11, 2011

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Solus posted:

I generally assume that fat dudes like myself can't wear button ups so good so when I need to dress up fancy its a Mono-tone t-shirt under a undone button up shirt and my good jeans. It tends to be smart enough for clubbing/interviews but casual enough for going out to the pub

Depends how fat you are. If the answer is "a lot", you can pull it off with a jacket on top of your button up. Solid dark colors, with a light colored jacket works wonders.

Star Warrior X
Jul 14, 2004

When I'm interviewing and hiring people, I like to see that they went to some effort to look nice for their interview. A couple of hours (or a whole afternoon, depending) is really not a lot of time to get to know someone, when you are going to be working with and relying on this person for 40+ hours a week, so every bit of information I can glean about a prospective employee is vital. When I see that someone has taken the time and put a little extra effort into looking nice for the interview, it demonstrates to me that they have the capacity for that effort, and that they are willing to exercise it for my benefit. Since that is exactly what I will be employing them to do (make effort for the benefit of the job and the company), dressing up, and doing it well, is a good indicator of their ability and willingness to do that. Obviously ability matters, too, but there are a lot more ways to judge that outside of the interview (references, tests, etc.).

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

GetWellGamers posted:

it's a privilege earned by having passed the interview.
Maybe this is it. Being given a job offer isn't a privilege, it's an acceptance that your skillset matches the company's requirements, and both parties think they'll be able to get on. A face to face interview isn't a one way street, and I wouldn't turn down a job offer just because the guys sat on the other side of the table were all wearing shorts, or had "unprofessional" facial / neck hair.

If you're conducting interviews with the mindset that these plebs would be lucky if you judged them worthy of a job with you then yes, you are a power hungry oval office, and I'm glad to not work under you. Your company isn't as good as you think it is, you should be trying to sell the idea of working there to me.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

FreakyZoid posted:

I wouldn't turn down a job offer just because the guys sat on the other side of the table were all wearing shorts, or had "unprofessional" facial / neck hair.
Again, that would be explicit discrimination. Bias frequently occurs without your knowledge (i.e., normally, you wouldn't be aware of how your decisions or actions are biased.) Here's a paper that talks about implicit discrimination. I'm sorry if this just makes things more complex. You really shouldn't need to understand why you should dress up for meetings at this level. But there it is.

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran
As someone who interviews pretty much every level that walks in the door, I recommend dressing well to the point of sport coat/blazer, but never a full suit. A suit makes you looks like you don't belong in the industry.

Suits are for Christmas parties.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

If it's any use to this silly conversation, the companies that recruit from my program, including game as well as film companies like Dreamworks and Pixar, have all said that they don't like it when we wear suits or ties to interviews. Just wear what you can be yourself in without looking like you're homeless. The end.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Black Eagle posted:

I was also responding to Shalinor, who's starting a company. If you have greater aspirations than working on other people's games, you should be cognizant of, and careful with, your reputation with the people who matter to realizing your dream. This is a small industry with even smaller companies. Management tends to stay management and word travels fast between meetings. Make sure that when people talk about you, they're thinking kindly of you. You can do that by not only performing your job well, but also by looking your best and thereby lifting the spirits of those around you.
I would not go to a meeting with a publisher in jeans and a t-shirt, no. But I also wouldn't wear a little black dress and makeup to the 9's - everyone has to figure out their own professional style, and they should be confident in it, and confident in knowing when it is appropriate to break out.

For me, that's the aforementioned slacks / top / vest thingy, and a few other things... and I would never, even remotely, expect to break that out for anything shy of an interview or a planned introductory meeting with a player in the industry. If someone thinks less of me for not spending that kind of time to prepare for a regular day of software development - great, I'm glad for them, they can think less of me, because I'd have no interest in the cost of sustaining a professional relationship with them.

Which is I think what most are getting at. Don't overshoot with a 3-piece suit that obviously is not you, just wear nice clothing and don't smell like cheetos. Past the interview, you can dress comfortably, but still not be a slob that smells like cheetos.

EDIT:

BizarroAzrael posted:

Well played :3:

EDIT2: ... and to "dude that shaves with a trimmer and the smallest guard" - that is digusting, I'm sorry :( No one can pull that off, it makes you look like a hobo or a permanently hung-over dude. If you can't shave with a razor, just get an electric, no one can hurt themselves with an electric. Or, if you want to look older, actually grow and maintain facial hair. Pick one side or the other.

EDIT3: VVV You could also do short-guard razor to take the hair down, and then use an electric to take it back to just the beard area. The disgusting part is if you let it drip down your neck like some kind of brown moss. Google around for styling tips on that.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 11, 2011

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Haha okay. Aside from interviews, I dislike being clean shaven and also dislike having too much hair on my face, so trimming it very short with a hair trimmer seems like the best route.

Anyway I guess the prevailing opinion is that shaving is the best bet. Baby face Vino FTW. My mom would be pleased to hear she was right.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I had a beard during my interview. But I agree with whoever said it above me, if you're going to have a beard at lease carve it a bit and clean up the cheek/neck line for fucks sake or you're gonna look like a goddamn hobo or dirty goon. Also, if your beard is patchy don't even bother, we know you try but genes are a bitch sorry bros.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Vino posted:

Haha okay. Aside from interviews, I dislike being clean shaven and also dislike having too much hair on my face, so trimming it very short with a hair trimmer seems like the best route.

Anyway I guess the prevailing opinion is that shaving is the best bet. Baby face Vino FTW. My mom would be pleased to hear she was right.

I'm like you -- I hate being baby-faced (because it literally makes me look like I'm 10 years old, and as a lawyer and a diplomat, that's not a good thing as it makes it harder for people to take me seriously when negotiating). But my beard is blond after it grows past the 5-o'clock shadow stage, so I don't like it too long either.

So I try to time things so that I shave the morning of the day before I have a significant meeting, which ensures that I have enough of a 5-o'clock shadow to give my jawline definition, but not so much to make me look like a scrub.

Catering to vanity? Sure. Grand total of fucks given? Zero. In my areas of work, fashion/style can be as important as your substantive skillset. Granted, it's a different set of norms than a creative probably has, but them's the breaks. Someone's gotta write your contracts.

Leif. fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 11, 2011

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Black Eagle posted:

A typical engineering manager might not weigh appearance too heavily when making a hiring decision, but game development isn't a solo sport.

You have to work with other people who won't enjoy working days, nights, and weekends with someone who doesn't take care of themselves. They may even avoid you, pass you over for promotions or invitations to networking opportunities, or hold your appearance and their first impression against you in other ways that harm your career, your chances of surviving the next round of layoffs, your team's productivity, or how your project is treated within the company. If all you're thinking about is getting hired because you can perform the specific tasks outlined in the job specification, you're not a great candidate; you're just a passable one.

It seems like this is all covered by the part of my post that you didn't quote.
And yeah you may need to go above and beyond for inter-corporate meetings depending on the firm you are meeting with, sure.
I guess the key insight I am trying to impart is that looking decent doesn't correlate directly with level of formality. I actually hire developers for a major studio so I thought the perspective would be useful.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
dress like a bum and wing it

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Or a storm trooper.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Chernabog posted:

Or a storm trooper.

I would hire someone on the spot if they were qualified and dressed as a storm trooper

Jagermaestro
Aug 25, 2011

Just add lobster.

That's what they told us. And we did. We added lobster to all our games. And that's how we saved Warhammer 40k, puppies, and the career of the former hit band 'Yes'.

BizarroAzrael posted:

:tipshat:

Jagermaestro
Aug 25, 2011

Just add lobster.

That's what they told us. And we did. We added lobster to all our games. And that's how we saved Warhammer 40k, puppies, and the career of the former hit band 'Yes'.
Let's assume you have one job opening and two candidates that have a similar skill-set and similar experience. Both interviews go extremely well. One hasn't shaved in a week and is wearing a wrinkled t-shirt, the other is cleanly shaven and has a collar. Who do you think gets the job?

Shave/trim. Put on a clean shirt. Wear a bit of cologne. All of this helps make a good first impression, and a good first impression is probably one of the most important things you can ever have going your way.

Note that this is coming from a programmer that wears shorts to work for 10 months of the year (in Canada).

Smegbot
Jul 13, 2006

Mon the Biffy!
I went to a games industry wedding recently and there were Storm Trooper ushers. And a Tetris cake. And champagne glasses arranged in the shape of a Space Invader. Good times.

At the interview for my current job I wore black jeans (£27.99 from Burton's menswear), a chequered shirt with the sleeves rolled up (£19.99 from H&M, the sleeve rolling I had to do myself) and black Adidas trainers (£24.99 from Deichmann on Dundee High Street). I was clean shaven but if it'd been a couple of months earlier I'd have had a full beard. My head was also shaven (a 3mm setting on the hair clippers IIRC).

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Shalinor posted:

EDIT2: ... and to "dude that shaves with a trimmer and the smallest guard" - that is digusting, I'm sorry :( No one can pull that off, it makes you look like a hobo or a permanently hung-over dude. If you can't shave with a razor, just get an electric, no one can hurt themselves with an electric. Or, if you want to look older, actually grow and maintain facial hair. Pick one side or the other.

I've seen plenty of people that shave with a trimmer with no guard, and use a razor below the jawline. Gives a clean 5'o shadow look and it looks good.

People that grow in patchy can't do it, but it's a great alternative to full out neckbeard.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Solus posted:

I would hire someone on the spot if they were qualified and dressed as a storm trooper

http://www.tk409.com/gettingajob.html
:)

coeranys
Aug 25, 2003

oswald ownenstein posted:

but it's a great alternative to full out neckbeard.

That's the key, is having a defined neckline (and depending on how it grows on your cheeks, a defined upper bound as well.) The key to pulling off a beard, even if it's not a full beard, just hair an eighth to quarter inch long all over your face, is making it clear that you are doing so intentionally. People don't realize why they react as they do towards facial hair all the time, but the "ugh, neckbeard" reaction is almost always because it looks as if they just let it run over their face however they want. That same person could just define the neckline (NECK, not jaw) and the neckbeard look disappears, replaced by a ruggedly handsome beard wearer.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Jagermaestro posted:

Let's assume you have one job opening and two candidates that have a similar skill-set and similar experience. Both interviews go extremely well. One hasn't shaved in a week and is wearing a wrinkled t-shirt, the other is cleanly shaven and has a collar. Who do you think gets the job?
Ah yes, the famous hypothetical slob / tidy twins. I've yet to meet them in person.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

FreakyZoid posted:

Ah yes, the famous hypothetical slob / tidy twins. I've yet to meet them in person.

I think it's a silly comparison because if someone can't be bothered to dress themselves properly, it doesn't seem very likely that they're going to come off as being very interested in the job in the interview. Or at least, the quality of their answers is probably going to be pretty similar to the quality of their grooming.

This doesn't mean that "Better dressed = better candidate", but if someone is actually competent and interested in a job, it seems highly unlikely that they'll show up to the interview looking like they just spent a week lying in bed. Unless they have serious social deficiencies, anyway.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

coeranys posted:

That's the key, is having a defined neckline (and depending on how it grows on your cheeks, a defined upper bound as well.) The key to pulling off a beard, even if it's not a full beard, just hair an eighth to quarter inch long all over your face, is making it clear that you are doing so intentionally. People don't realize why they react as they do towards facial hair all the time, but the "ugh, neckbeard" reaction is almost always because it looks as if they just let it run over their face however they want. That same person could just define the neckline (NECK, not jaw) and the neckbeard look disappears, replaced by a ruggedly handsome beard wearer.
This, totally.

Also, if you're going to rock the ruggedly handsome unshaven shaven look, at least consider an Indiana Jones-esque hat a/o leather satchel. Because it would be totally awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

oswald ownenstein posted:

I've seen plenty of people that shave with a trimmer with no guard, and use a razor below the jawline. Gives a clean 5'o shadow look and it looks good.

People that grow in patchy can't do it, but it's a great alternative to full out neckbeard.

I do this, it looks good, just remember to give the main piece-du-beardage a do over with a 3/4 setting to get rid of the hobo stragglers. No guard the edges then clean over with a razor.

Looks neat. Works a treat.

This thread is now: Dev-eye for the straight guy